Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Remember when Corbyn did this with Spanish and Piers Morgan?

Lol that was good.

E: 4, the 4th number. April is the 4th, and cruellest month according to Eliot, whose bleak poetry should be taken as a guide for Brexit living

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1101440866835664896

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Deliberately excluding a foreign visitor from conversation is a dick move tbh.

However, given white man's history of being a foreign visitor, being as hostile as possible is definitely the pro strat.

Lol no? They were just some randos in a shop, he wasn't their guest or anything. You've no obligation to let strangers eavesdrop on you to stop them feeling shunned.

Gone already!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

It's been deleted

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

It's been deleted

Nick cohen complaining about owen jones complaining to his boss about his terrible tweets, suggesting people should complain to the guardian about owen jones.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Nick cohen complaining about owen jones complaining to his boss about his terrible tweets, suggesting people should complain to the guardian about owen jones.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1101443947476516866

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

This is the most bizzare thing, do people not get that, like, if you don't vote, the other guys win?

Farage almost certainly wants Brexit cancelled so he can revive his career.

Everyone else is probably just saying 'people will boycott the vote!' but they'll vote anyway, then use the boycott rumour as an excuse as to why remain won.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

jabby posted:

Like someone else said, Labour could spin a referendum on May's deal as both backing a #PeoplesVote and not standing in the way of Brexit. Whereas trying to vote it down without any credible alternative just looks like pushing us towards no-deal.

Plus May's deal is widely hated and Farage is already calling for people to boycott another referendum, so there's a decent chance remain would win if those were the only two options. And then the Tories would be truly hosed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but actually getting a referendum requires the Tories backing that to keep their word and vote for it, and what motivation will they have to do that once May's deal has passed? Never trust a Tory.

Supporting May's deal (which this will be seen as) to get an opportunity to vote on a referendum that has no chance of actually happening seems like peak LibDemism to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dispatch_async posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but actually getting a referendum requires the Tories backing that to keep their word and vote for it, and what motivation will they have to do that once May's deal has passed? Never trust a Tory.

Supporting May's deal (which this will be seen as) to get an opportunity to vote on a referendum that has no chance of actually happening seems like peak LibDemism to me.

I think the notion is that they're suggesting they won't vote the bill down if it includes an amendment to hold a referendum.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's not supporting it for a vote on a referendum, it's supporting it for a referendum and probably the only way you're going to get a referendum

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

OwlFancier posted:

I think the notion is that they're suggesting they won't vote the bill down if it includes an amendment to hold a referendum.

Ah ok that makes more sense.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is literally just labour following their conference policy of keeping a second referendum on the table, they've simply waited until they could reasonably claim to have been seriously invested in making a non-disaster out of brexit. probably this was pushed forward by the TIGgers jumping ship, but something like this was always likely as no-deal / may deal became the only realistic brexit outcomes

if they can spin this right, they're well set. probably going to be a tough spin, though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think a second referendum is a stupid idea but at this point it's looking like the least stupid stupid idea out of a big pile of stupid ideas.

less than a month and parliament is still showing no sign of being willing or able to actually get a handle on this poo poo. Labour has to try the stupid idiot vote at this point because literally nothing else is working.

If they can get May to throw the government into supporting a referendum amendment in exchange for letting her deal pass, that's better in both ways than just no dealing us out of the EU which looks to be the likely alternative.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1101448791029440514

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Lol no? They were just some randos in a shop, he wasn't their guest or anything. You've no obligation to let strangers eavesdrop on you to stop them feeling shunned.

Assuming a foreign visitor wants to "eavesdrop" or has some ulterior, hostile motive is also a dick move.

Again though, i must stress, that his being a white English person in this particular case, the dick move is acceptable.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
For anyone looking from a brief distraction from Brexit, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Scotland's having some fun at the moment with trans poo poo. There's some plans to include questions about being trans on the next Census (which is administered separately in Scotland) and include an option in the sex question for people to identify as non-binary. The trans question seems to be safe for now but Parliament seems to be having some teething-troubles with non-binary people being a thing. Actual established groups that deal with women's and gender issues don't seem to have a problem with this, but this isn't enough for Joan McAlpine who invited a completely new group that claims to work for women while seemingly doing nothing but complain about trans issues to give evidence at a committee about the census, as well as a couple of random TERF academics and one (1) LGBT group, for balance I guess.

After listening to all sides they then decided that you're a man or a woman, shut up. It hasn't actually gone to Parilament yet but this is not the most promising start. I do like McAlpine's recent twitter thread where she says that ignoring established groups and talking to a bunch of nobodies was a good thing actually, because she's decided they speak for the real views of women:

https://twitter.com/JoanMcAlpine/status/1101251151327039488
https://twitter.com/JoanMcAlpine/status/1101251154053341190

Everything is fine. I can't wait for the shitstorm to erupt if/when the scottish government gets round to proposing its bill for reforming gender recognition. The curious reader looking for more ranting about recent trans poo poo in Scotland can peruse this article from my favourite ranty scotpol website on the internet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like the best option would be separate questions for sex (including intersex) and gender (including non-binary), and a cis/trans question.

I might be wrong on this, but NB seems mostly related to gender identity and not sex identification, while intersex seems the inverse.

That's assuming that the census really needs to know how many people have wieners and for what purpose.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

It's a solid primer but they could have started with something smarter than "don't believe everything you read".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That's assuming that the census really needs to know how many people have wieners and for what purpose.

Number of weiners possessed (0-99)

I definitely want to know the average weiners per capita.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I still think a second referendum is a stupid idea but at this point it's looking like the least stupid stupid idea out of a big pile of stupid ideas.

less than a month and parliament is still showing no sign of being willing or able to actually get a handle on this poo poo. Labour has to try the stupid idiot vote at this point because literally nothing else is working.

If they can get May to throw the government into supporting a referendum amendment in exchange for letting her deal pass, that's better in both ways than just no dealing us out of the EU which looks to be the likely alternative.

No Deal is even worse than people thought. There's eight vital IT systems required to manage imports and exports; six of them are not working, and it is not possible to get them working in four weeks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Number of weiners possessed (0-99)

I definitely want to know the average weiners per capita.
Paging Osama Dozen-Dongs to the thread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HJB posted:

It's a solid primer but they could have started with something smarter than "don't believe everything you read".

Yeah I just thought jewdas were highlighting the most important bit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

No Deal is even worse than people thought. There's eight vital IT systems required to manage imports and exports; six of them are not working, and it is not possible to get them working in four weeks.

Labour, basically, has to get May's deal through if it's that or no deal. Because no deal would just utterly gently caress everyone in an inexcusable way. Labour as a not-poo poo party has to do the responsible thing and vote for the least poo poo option in that instance.

And at this point it's not looking like there's much chance of stopping it otherwise. So being able to get her deal through and put it to a public vote is probably the best way they can a: possibly oppose brexit, b: mitigate the damage if they can't block it, and c: do damage control on their image.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like the best option would be separate questions for sex (including intersex) and gender (including non-binary), and a cis/trans question.

I might be wrong on this, but NB seems mostly related to gender identity and not sex identification, while intersex seems the inverse.

It does seem kinda weird that they're calling the question "sex", especially when I gather in the last census in Scotland trans people were advised to fill in what they identify as anyway, meaning they're pretty much measuring what people would call "gender" in the first place. I think people just like to think of "sex" as a nice sciencey official word, the more stable cousin of gender that they can happily shove into two boxes and not think about, when it can actually mean a lot of things. legal sex? sex assigned at birth? what chromosomes you have? what your genitals look like? the precise concentration of estrogen and testosterone coursing within your bloodstream? size of your boobs? I guess it might be a way to recognise non-binary people while still using the same old statistical language?

And yeah I get the feeling if there was a pressing need to determine dong-ownership specifically on the Census it might come up from consultation with say, the NHS, rather than A Few Terfs With Twitter Accounts, but perhaps the public sector is in fact being run by a malevolent trans cabal, who knows.

I have an eye on this both a) as a stats nerd and b) knowing full well this is preparation for the rammy when scot gov tries to recognise trans people better

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Angepain posted:

perhaps the public sector is in fact being run by a malevolent trans cabal, who knows.

gently caress, they're on to us, Ms A! You grab the drugs, I'll grab the money and let's meet up in the Bahamas!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

It does seem kinda weird that they're calling the question "sex", especially when I gather in the last census in Scotland trans people were advised to fill in what they identify as anyway, meaning they're pretty much measuring what people would call "gender" in the first place. I think people just like to think of "sex" as a nice sciencey official word, the more stable cousin of gender that they can happily shove into two boxes and not think about, when it can actually mean a lot of things. legal sex? sex assigned at birth? what chromosomes you have? what your genitals look like? the precise concentration of estrogen and testosterone coursing within your bloodstream? size of your boobs? I guess it might be a way to recognise non-binary people while still using the same old statistical language?

And yeah I get the feeling if there was a pressing need to determine dong-ownership specifically on the Census it might come up from consultation with say, the NHS, rather than A Few Terfs With Twitter Accounts, but perhaps the public sector is in fact being run by a malevolent trans cabal, who knows.

I have an eye on this both a) as a stats nerd and b) knowing full well this is preparation for the rammy when scot gov tries to recognise trans people better
Yeah, I mean for the majority of people (cis, no intersex conditions at birth) their sex will be their assigned-at-birth sex, which boils down to "did the doctor see a dick?" Nobody's doing chromosome checks or hormone balance blood tests on every live birth, as much as STEMs and TERFs like to rant about 'sex is scientific!'

Personally I'm a fan of removing this from the birth certificate, not just to make legal transition easier, but because there's no modern pressing need. All the original reasons for the national registrar knowing about your knob are irrelevant and also terrible. Doctor saw a dick? Better add you to the list of people who get to die in a ditch when you're over 18 if we go to war. Didn't see a dick? Hope you like second place in inheritance and aren't planning on voting. And Lord Jesus forbid that two people that the doctor saw dicks on try to get married. All gone now. All garbage. Any record of medical penis-having can go in your medical history, the registrar doesn't need to know that.

If there is a pressing matter of national statistical urgency to make record of putz possession that I'm not aware of, then at least allow M/F/I so that intersex kids don't have to be forcibly sexed at birth.

Combine that with lowered gatekeeping of trans people and those are the only three options you need in the sex box on the census, and then have a trans/cis/NB box as a separate optional question.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Combine that with lowered gatekeeping of trans people and those are the only three options you need in the sex box on the census, and then have a trans/cis/NB box as a separate optional question.

And then all the over-50s write to their council to complain "what's cis, I'm not cis, I'm normal!"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I mean for the majority of people (cis, no intersex conditions at birth) their sex will be their assigned-at-birth sex, which boils down to "did the doctor see a dick?" Nobody's doing chromosome checks or hormone balance blood tests on every live birth, as much as STEMs and TERFs like to rant about 'sex is scientific!'

Personally I'm a fan of removing this from the birth certificate, not just to make legal transition easier, but because there's no modern pressing need. All the original reasons for the national registrar knowing about your knob are irrelevant and also terrible. Doctor saw a dick? Better add you to the list of people who get to die in a ditch when you're over 18 if we go to war. Didn't see a dick? Hope you like second place in inheritance and aren't planning on voting. And Lord Jesus forbid that two people that the doctor saw dicks on try to get married. All gone now. All garbage. Any record of medical penis-having can go in your medical history, the registrar doesn't need to know that.

If there is a pressing matter of national statistical urgency to make record of putz possession that I'm not aware of, then at least allow M/F/I so that intersex kids don't have to be forcibly sexed at birth.

This is a very good point. It feels like having your sex listed anywhere except medical records is absolutely just an outdated tradition at this point. The marriage people are still gonna throw a fit but whatever. Actually, is gay marriage legal in the uk? Not just civil unions?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

This is a very good point. It feels like having your sex listed anywhere except medical records is absolutely just an outdated tradition at this point. The marriage people are still gonna throw a fit but whatever. Actually, is gay marriage legal in the uk? Not just civil unions?
Everywhere in GB has full marriage equality (including civil issues like private pensions now the court cases have been resolved). NI just sits there seething at the buggery happening over both border and sea.

There's a move to push full marriage equality in NI in the bill for equal civil unions in GB, which is good in theory, but I worry that it's a wrecking amendment to get the DUP to shoot down the whole thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless they changed it recently explicitly no, and a civil union is not a marriage and you can't have one unless you're gay.

E: ^^ I thought they were not-quite marriage? Did it change?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rarity posted:

gently caress, they're on to us, Ms A! You grab the drugs, I'll grab the money and let's meet up in the Bahamas!

At last, a use for Trident. We'll nuke you so hard you become transuranic!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

E: ^^ I thought they were not-quite marriage? Did it change?
Civil partnership (same sex only) in 2004, full same sex marriage in 2013.

Only thing that differs is that there's no adultery option to divorce a same sex marriage, because all the common law definitions of adultery imply Ps in Vs.

Private pensions for long term gay partners who totally would have got married were they allowed all got resolved in 2017 iirc, so in civil law it's a full marriage.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Well they were speaking English but then they saw my Definitely Not Local dad coming and switched to Welsh

Which is very rude, apparently?

Some years ago, a friend of my parents, first language Welsh but who had been living in England for 30 years or so so had got out of the habit was in a shop in Cardiff. Speaking English, she bought a mug. Took it outside and found it was cracked. Brought it back in. One of the shop assistants said to the other in Welsh "Give the crazy bitch a new mug." Needless to say, parents' friend let rip in Welsh.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol why is it so difficult to eject a terrible MP
https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-brexit-labour-mp-hoey-refuses-to-step-down-after-demand-from-party-workers/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Because MPs designed the system that lets them stay in post even when they're being terrible, and it's not just difficult it's impossible.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

you can't have one unless you're gay.

I thought there was a case in the courts pressing this as gender discrimination and trying to offer civil unions to everyone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Brummies explain yourselves

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1101477028946165760?s=19

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Is there no end to our country's hellish appetites

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems like a weird take on a cola float but probably easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Googling "milk coke" suggests that he's very clearly trolling.

Nonetheless, brb