Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Basically the good DC events are Invasion, One Million, Final Crisis, and Metal. The good Marvel ones are Hickman’s Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, and...??? Like, parts of Original Sin and Infinity Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Does Seven Soldiers count as an event comic? Annihilation also largely holds up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

War For The Realms should be good, at least for Aaron Thor fans (The main series, that is. Who the hell knows about the squillion tie-ins.)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Benito Cereno posted:

Basically the good DC events are Invasion, One Million, Final Crisis, and Metal. The good Marvel ones are Hickman’s Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, and...??? Like, parts of Original Sin and Infinity Wars?

Secret Invasion! :mad:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

JordanKai posted:

Secret Invasion! :mad:

Hot take: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was a buggy mess in a lot of ways but I had a lot of fun with their very, very stupid take on the announced-but-not-released Secret Invasion.

Up until that endboss. Whoof.

edit: I guess as context for anyone who skipped it... The nanomachine 'collars' in the Thunderbolts and other captured supers during the Civil War part of the story all reach a critical mass and form a hivemind, which turns the third half of the game into a defensive push as you realize you've instantly lost a few key locales and have to retreat to Wakanda (which is then besieged) while trying to nullify the nanites. The final boss is Nick Fury, who for some reason this hivemind has decided would be the best avatar, an old man with some cyborg parts, out of LITERALLY ANYONE under its control.

Except he has Phoenix powers for some reason. God that fight sucks.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 7, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Benito Cereno posted:

COIE and Sins of Youth are better than Final Crisis and Metal.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

X-O posted:

That is Thunderstrike! Not Thor!

Thor's bad 90s costume was his own, not some pretender!

This costume looks like someone's attempt to satirize board standard female costumes and no one got the joke. Though the pants make me think they were serious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Another Clone Saga storyline down as I wrapped up The Mark of Kaine in which the third Peter Parker turned out to be an evil clone who alternated between talking about how he was a cloned weapon out to destroy them and claiming that he was the real Peter Parker. This one wound up having ambiguously defined plot powers that let him be a shape shifter kinda maybe rather than spider powers because I guess at this point that many people with spider powers running around would just be silly.

Peter Parker in jail for a cross country string of serial murders when he should easily have alibis ("Here's the pictures I was taking of Spider-Man here in New York on the day you said I was killing a guy in Denver.") is just annoying. So is Traveler's "Boy I sure am figuring out the nature of humanity!" schtick. They're hitting obvious storybeats and dragging everything out way longer than it should be (dragging a story arc out during the clone saga? That's unheard of!). I'm going, "Get on with it!" and I've read six months of Spider-Man comics in the past three days; it must have been like pulling your own skin off reading this while it came out.

The Spider-Man Unlimited part of this story felt really tacked on; it wasn't even related to the plot of the other four parts. Also, Peter has to dress as the Scarlet Spider because Ben is in jail as Peter and this is solely so people can start making a connection the two guys with spider powers and webshooters together?

I've got to point out that Bill Sienkiewicz has taken over "inking" Sal Buscema's art on Spectacular and by "inking" I suspect they mean heavily redrawing. It looks a lot more like Sienkiewicz's style, especially in the warped faces, than Buscema's workman like stuff. It still feels wrong for Spider-Man, but the series is looking better at the moment.

Next up, I screwed up when I was complaining about the pacing last night because it seems like I've got four single issue stories! I mean, they definitely won't stand alone, but single issues! I might actually enjoy some of them!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One event nobody talks about is Chaos War, which I really liked until the aftermath. They had a side miniseries called Dead Avengers which was really fantastic and ended with the idea that Swordsman and the female Yellowjacket would be returning from the dead in what felt like a totally deserved way that made you root for them. And then Marvel editorial was all, "Eh, we're bringing back Alpha Flight with this event, so two more would be too much. Those guys are still dead."

I was also really into Siege until that final issue. Bendis spent years explicitly explaining that it would take something major to put down the Sentry/Void for good. He was the ultimate threat. And... then he got taken out by what amounts to a big punch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

One event nobody talks about is Chaos War, which I really liked until the aftermath.

There's a lot of tiny events like Chaos War where they carry through a few books but don't go much past that which turn out decent. The cosmic Marvel crossovers through Annihilation/War of Kings/Thanos Imperative were pretty fun. I like a lot of the fifth week events DC did in the 90's as light crossovers, so Sins of Youth, Silver Age, the Justice Leage of Anything-That-Starts-With-A.

I guess the key to a good crossover is to have it be mostly ignorable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Secret empire

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What are fifth week events? Is that when there are five Wednesdays in a month and the fifth is a bunch of bonus comics?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thanks for jumping on the Clone Saga grenade for the rest of us, Random Stranger! I only know it by reputation (and technically that 'Real Clone Saga' miniseries - it's actually pretty good).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lifg posted:

What are fifth week events? Is that when there are five Wednesdays in a month and the fifth is a bunch of bonus comics?

Yep! With 52 shipping weeks a year and plans for 48 of them, DC used to fill in the fifth Wednesday of some months with small events that basically had an opening, a closing, and a few self contained stories around the concept. Marvel did a few things like this as well, but I think DC was the only one that explicitly called them "Fifth week events".

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Before I clicked "play" on this my dumb rear end wondered if this lady had figured out a way to make it look like she could shrink

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fifth weeks are usually when Annuals and seasonal anthologies come out now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Benito Cereno posted:

I think World War Hulk is a fun event, and I still have a soft spot for Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought Chaos War was kind of dumb for how over the top unstoppable the bad guy was. It wasn't a Thanos thing where he has god powers but you defeat him with a clever trick either, it was pages and pages and pages of the chaos armies killing basically every character you can think of up to and including Satan, and everyone making a big deal of how unstoppable and scary they are. And then no other book even acknowledged it was going on which made it all seem very stupid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Thanks for jumping on the Clone Saga grenade for the rest of us, Random Stranger! I only know it by reputation (and technically that 'Real Clone Saga' miniseries - it's actually pretty good).

There are three kinds of people when it comes to the clone saga: those who read it as it was coming out, those who heard enough that they'd never want to read it, and those who were stupid enough to go back and read it. And there's very few people stupid enough to read the clone saga these days.

So let's get back to the pain with four unconnected issues, two of which were issue numbers ending in multiples of twenty-five anniversary comics. And why is Peter still dressed as the Scarlet Spider? Why?! And OMG, it's Gwen Stacy (clone)! Something that would have been... well... not really shocking given the storyline, but at least original if they hadn't just had another shocking reveal of a Gwen Stacy clone two months and fifteen comics ago. And a new Green Goblin... who in his first appearance snatches Gwen-clone from a car on the George Washington Bridge where she can conveniently fall.

Apparently the Goblin is a prep for a Spider-Man spin off series? Because what the world really needed was a heroic Green Goblin comic.

Superpowers Traveler has: teleportation, invisibility, telepathy, force fields large enough to contain a building, making the illusion of a single person not doing anything but this exhausts him if he does it for more than about half an hour, makes inanimate objects do what he wants by telling them to, time travel, can turn into a bird, turns into smoke, energy blasts, immortality, puts people to sleep, puts people to sleep in the comics too.

You know, rescuing someone who's your enemy doesn't mean a whole lot morally when if you let your enemy die it will kill hundreds of thousands of people. Really takes the moral edge off that life and death decision.

There's been shocking news about the health of MJ's baby but everyone keeps talking around it rather than actually saying what it is. Since the problem isn't likely to be "has six arms" or "genetically disposed to being kidnapped immediately after being born and then never spoken of again", it's confusing why they refuse to say anything about what the actual problem is.

Seriously?

Enough of this hot mess of issues. I'm up to the Trial of Peter Parker. And I might go as far as the start of the New Warriors in this mess. Because four monthly series, one quarterly series, a rotating set of miniseries that start up a new one every time the previous one ends, and the occasional backstory explaining one shot just wasn't enough for the clone saga.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mr Hootington posted:

COIE and Sins of Youth are better than Final Crisis and Metal.

Half of this is insanity.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Before I clicked "play" on this my dumb rear end wondered if this lady had figured out a way to make it look like she could shrink

You're not alone, I was waiting for that too.

Doomsday clock is still going on? Has that been running for like a year and ahalf now? What has actually happened?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

What has actually happened?

This week's issue finally started to bring the major DCU changing stuff (9 of 12)
Firestorm, The Creeper, Metamorpho and Man-Bat are confirmed to have had their metahuman abilities triggered by the government (which was a rumour and the cause of anti-supers protests and metas fleeing to the protection of Black Adam in whatever his country is)
Firestorm had previously been triggered into producing an explosion in Russia (and there's new Cold War/Watchmen type nuke strike tensions in the world) which killed several civilians, knocked Batman out and put Superman in a coma. The cause is traced to Mars and pretty much every major hero on Earth flies there in space ships to beat up Doc Manhattan.
Eventually Doc does a big energy blast and we end the issue with all of the heroes layed out and GL's protective field around Mars, which was letting the heroes breath, is down.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 8, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Trial of Peter Parker starts with "the city of New York vs. Peter Parker". For a cross country murder spree, none which took place in New York City. And even if they did, murder is a state charge. I get the impression that comic book writers may not have a good grasp of the legal system.

Goddamnit, there's another Peter Parker clone. And I'm not talking about Kaine who was finally "revealed" to be another clone. Spider-clone count so far: Ben, Kaine, Guardian, Jack, Crazy Peter, Spidercide (who might be Crazy Peter but the gooey blob that was Crazy Peter was picked up by Scrier not the Jackal so why would it be the same character). There have also been two Gwen clones and a spare Jackal clone

But you know what? Other than an incredibly boring detour for one part to put Spider-Man on trial for causing crazy villains like he was Batman or something, I kind of liked this one. There was something enjoyably absurd about Peter constantly trying to drag Kaine into court, Kaine constantly refusing to do anything because he wants Ben to get the chair, and then when they finally get there, Kaine makes up a completely insane story to exonerate Peter in front of the court and then going, "That's trial, time for the execution!" It's completely silly. And the next issue starts with the line "I'll prove I'm the real serial killer... by killing you!" I think it wasn't intended that way, but it's a bonkers way to end what was a boring storyline.

Or at least I was enjoying it until this page:

That is, without a doubt, the single worst page of any Spider-Man comic ever. Hank Pym lashing out at Jan during his mental breakdown was something that had immediate and understandable consequences and that is all he will ever be known for. Peter using superstrength to smash his pregnant wife so hard that she's crumpled up with a bloody face is so much worse and no major consequences come from it at all. I've got a lot of bad story to go, but this the bottom. I really wish I had the letter columns from the time so I could see what the response was, but this happened in Spectacular and they never released an archive of that like they did for Amazing.

I had a whole thing I wanted to say on how hosed up the clone saga is philosophically since this is the issue where it's "revealed" that Peter is the clone and Ben is the original, but that page leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I want to move on. Maybe I'll talk about it with the next storyline.

Next up on the long march through the clone saga, it's finally time: Maximum Clonage. The tags at the ends of each book have been telling me that it's the "ultimate" clone story, so by definition it's the last one, right? :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/drawin_casscain/status/1103732653717622785

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Soonmot posted:

You're not alone, I was waiting for that too.

Doomsday clock is still going on? Has that been running for like a year and ahalf now? What has actually happened?
Nothing that won’t be immediately ignored because the goddamn thing’s taken so long to come out that it can’t fit anywhere in continuity and Bendis got hired in the interim and is running everything now anyway.

I don’t know if it’s been super delayed or this slow-drip release bullshit was intentional, but shockingly it turns out that the comic advancing 2017’s hottest plotline has somehow been overtaken by the linear march of time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm honestly treating Doomsday Clock like an Elseworld because I have no idea how else to considering it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CapnAndy posted:

I don’t know if it’s been super delayed or this slow-drip release bullshit was intentional, but shockingly it turns out that the comic advancing 2017’s hottest plotline has somehow been overtaken by the linear march of time.

Super-delayed, repeatedly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Keep in mind the plan was initially to kill off Peter after revealing he was the clone, which is why they have him acting like a big dickhead. Then after they realized everyone would get Mad, the plan changed to having Peter "retire" from being Spider-man while Ben took over. But then editorial didn't like the idea that there was this backup Spider-man that existed since they felt it undermined the character. So they killed Ben instead.

And then keep in mind the reasoning behind replacing Peter in the first place was that a lot of writers were pissed about the marriage to MJ because it meant they couldn't write Peter as dating around anymore which they were convinced was a completely essential aspect of the character.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

And then keep in mind the reasoning behind replacing Peter in the first place was that a lot of writers were pissed about the marriage to MJ because it meant they couldn't write Peter as dating around anymore which they were convinced was a completely essential aspect of the character.

Glad they managed to fix that one, at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Glad they managed to fix that one, at least.

Yeah it's been working out great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

One nice thing about reading the clone saga, I'm not reading Doomsday Clock.

Time for some Maximum Clonage, the centerpiece of the clone saga. Not quite the actual midpoint because, you know, clone saga, but definitely the point on which everything turns. Or was intended to turn.

Which means I really need to say something about the morality and philosophy depicted in the clone saga: it's terrible. There's a philosophical question that's been around a long time: if you could make a 100% perfect duplicate of something down to every microscopic flaw and completely indistinguishable from the original, is there really a difference in meaning between the original and the copy? Sure, if you consider the emotional attachment, but no if you consider the purpose. And that extends to people: a precise copy of you with all the memories and emotions might as well be you until you start having divergent experiences. The central premise of the clone saga is that such a precise duplicate is inherently worse because it is not the original.

Let's take the current premise in the story at face value: Peter's a copy, Ben is the guy from Amazing Fantasy #15. The story has told us that Ben got out of the smokestack Peter threw him down, went home, saw Peter with MJ, and decided he was the clone then and there. And because he was the clone he had to go away forever. Because he was a copy and thus disposable. That's been the attitude throughout the whole saga, the copy can be thrown away. But a copy of a person is still a person. And a copy of a person who has all of the same emotions and feelings and memories of a person is that person.

At this point, the text of the writing is pushing back against that with a lot of "You have value!" and "You're a good person!" but there's always a subtext of "despite not being real". It's a pretty awful attitude to take.

In this story, Peter has just found out that he's a clone. So he immediately turns his back on humanity and joins the Jackal because as a clone he's a worthless thing. Really demonstrates how much that sense of great responsibility is ingrained there.

There's a Punisher appearance for no good reason beyond the fact that he was part of the original Jackal storyline. He just shows up, takes some pot shots are Spider-Man and the Jackal, and then threatens to murder a bunch of cops.

On the positive side of things, Spider-Man being thrown into a chamber with hundreds of crazed Spider-clones is pretty much the scene that was necessary since they started a storyline about too many Spider-clones. Sadly, they didn't do anything interesting with the concept, but at least it's fulfilling a promise of the story's premise.

I am really getting sick of the scripters bagging on the terrible names. Yeah, Spidercide and Scarlet Spider are lovely names. Maybe you shouldn't have used them then. And if editorial is making you use them, then maybe they shouldn't let you include these digs at how lovely the names are in the scripts.

There was something nagging at me with the Gwen clones so far and I finally realized what it was: not only did Gwen not know Peter was Spider-Man, she hated Spider-Man for causing her father's death. The period when Warren would have gotten his samples for clone would have her despise Peter if she found out he was Spider-Man (which she just knows for some reason with all of these Gwen clones). I'm not a giant continuity stickler, but for a character with so little about her you'd think they'd remember one of the major things.

There's some lovely "Oh poo poo, one of the dozen artists we had rapidly doing pages so we could get this mess out the door didn't actually read the plot" scripting in the Omega issue where the Jackal has a gun, it gets destroyed, then he's fighting Spidercide inside, then they're both outside and the Jackal has his gun again. The writer's solution? "You dissolved the wall!" "The ol' secret gun under the coat trick, 'cide-my-boy!"

Way to rub it in, Marvel.

With Maximum Clonage out of the way I'm just two months away from what Marvel calls the end of the clone saga but we know it doesn't really end until Ben is gone. Just two months... which is 13 comics.

The next storyline is Exiled and it promises to tell me "Who will wear the webs?" according to the cover of the next issue.

Lurdiak posted:

Keep in mind the plan was initially to kill off Peter after revealing he was the clone, which is why they have him acting like a big dickhead. Then after they realized everyone would get Mad, the plan changed to having Peter "retire" from being Spider-man while Ben took over. But then editorial didn't like the idea that there was this backup Spider-man that existed since they felt it undermined the character. So they killed Ben instead.

I don't think Peter was being the Abominable Angst-Man because they wanted to phase him out, that strikes me as just "It is the 90's and this is how you write serious superhero comics!" On the other hand, they were definitely going full Poochie with Ben as they constantly turned to the audience and said, "Wow! Isn't this version of Spider-man cool? Way better than the lame old one!"

I feel like the push against the marriage had been editorially driven more than anything else, though the fact that a lot of writers couldn't handle writing a woman didn't help Mary Jane. There's a lot more lovely things that were done with her character than good things.

As for the "right" way to roll back the character, I've thought the best solution was the silver age Superman one. Give us a "Whatever Happened to the Man of the Spider" style sendoff where we get a good ending for the version of Peter Parker that we've been following all along, he gets a happy ending, and then the next issue just starts with the version of Spider-Man they want to use. Screw continuity or in-story explanations, just tell the fans, "We want to do something different [ie. exactly the same as when we were kids] with Peter Parker and we're just going to go with it." It's a bit messy and there will always be whiners, but that's the best way to pull off the band-aide.

Edit: I was trying to get my ducks in a row as I bump into the edge of Marvel's official reading order for the clone saga and I realized I forgot something horrifying. With the hand off to Ben Reilly, they added a fifth Spider-Man monthly book. And I don't mean another book like Marvel Adventures Spider-Man (which was based on the cartoon at the time) or the effectively ongoing Venom but they just gave it a new number one every four months or the actually good monthly Spider-Man book Untold Tales of Spider-Man (which launched the month after Maximum Clonage). I mean, they put out five monthly comics about Spider-Man that were in a constant state of crossover.

I want to steal Dr. Doom's time machine just so I can go back to the 90's and drive Marvel into bankruptcy over this.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 8, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like defining "event" is a slippery thing, considering that Doomsday Clock is a standalone twelve issue series and other books people are throwing out are anything from "other self-contained mini-series" to "four books coordinated into one longer story" to "crossover event with a core mini-series and dozens upon dozens of tie-ins and mini-series eventually comprising a 1000+ page omnibus" which is some apples and dymaxion sphere sort of comparisons.

This also goes back to this post

quote:

And then there was the Death of Superman, the event that poisoned the early 90's. DC had struck solid gold with storyline. Then did it again with Batman. And now everybody wanted some of that sweet cash that came from serious events that you had to read to keep up. There were events before, but now they were EVENTS that demanded attention and their own overpriced polybagged special covered version. Pretty much all of the rest of the attempts to replicate this success fizzled with the only one I'd say even approached working was Wolverine getting his adamantium stripped. But for fun here's a brief list of how Marvel tried to capture some of that "And now nothing will ever be the same..." magic in the early 90's:

• Daredevil "dies" and is replaced by a guy with 90's armor.
  • Captain America is severely injured and has to wear 90's armor.
  • Reed Richards dies and is replaced by his son wearing 90's armor.
  • Tony Stark was working for Kang the whole time! And is now a teenager wearing 90's armor.
  • The Punisher dies for real and becomes an angel. He does not get 90's armor which seems like an oversight.
  • Dr. Strange kinda dies and is replaced by someone wearing 90's armor late 60's costume.
The closest any of these come to being crossover events is The Crossing with Teen Tony, I guess? Daredevil faking his own death and wearing ugly armor was basically just a normal (but shittier) run of Daredevil for a little under two years that had a couple of gimmick covers in the run-up "Fall From Grace" arc, but nothing else to make it an EVENT like Doomsday or Knightfall or the Clone Saga.

Captain America wearing armor was just the last ten or so issues of Mark Gruenwald's decade-long run of Captain America from 1985-1995 that prior to the armor also had Steve Rogers get replaced as Captain America, take on the mantle of The Captain, have a civil war of sorts with Iron Man, get turned into a meth addict, get turned into a werewolf, get turned into a woman, and fight Ronald Reagan who was transformed into a snake monster. I guess there was a foil cover thrown in on an anniversary issue a few months before Cap needed armor.

The Reed Richards arc definitely had a gimmick cover for the issue that he died, but it was also confined to a couple of years of DeFalco/Ryan's godawful Fantastic Four run which saw them wearing bomber jackets, the Thing wearing a mask because his face got all scarred up and infected by Wolverine scratching him, Sue started wearing a 'sexy' FF outfit with a 4 shaped cleavage window, Johnny found out he was married to a Skrull, a lot of time was spent dealing with battles between Watchers, etc. etc. etc. etc. None of it affected other books much, aside from I guess the doomed spin-off Fantastic FORCE.

The Punisher died and came back as an angel in a four issue Marvel Knights mini-series in 1998-1999 and other than a couple of snide jokes was never mentioned in any other book including subsequent Punisher runs, also it was half a decade after this.

I don't even remember what the hell was up with David Quinn's Doctor Strange but just because it tied into a couple of Midnight Sons crossover doesn't make it an EVENT any more than any other comic published in the 1990s.

This sort of thing was also a constant at Marvel before and after gimmick covers, and having these sort of status quo shifts be part of Big Crossover Events feels more like trying to imprint a flawed vision of how mid-2000s Marvel/DC worked more than anything. This doesn't make a single one of them a good story (80% of Gruenwald's Cap aside I mean) but it's just a weird description of how things were.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like the push against the marriage had been editorially driven more than anything else, though the fact that a lot of writers couldn't handle writing a woman didn't help Mary Jane. There's a lot more lovely things that were done with her character than good things.
In the context of the Clone Saga, the marriage was 100% editorially dictated in 1986 and led to Roger Stern quitting the book because he didn't like how they were forcing a relatively out-of-nowhere marriage onto the character because Stan Lee thought it would be good PR for the comic strip.

The timeline of Spider-Man's publication history is:
1963-1987: Spider-Man is not married
1987-1994: Spider-Man is married but Mary Jane spends a significant amount of time getting kidnapped or estranged from Peter
1994-1996: Spider-Man is married but might just be a clone, not the actual Spider-Man! Also he freaks out and hits his wife.
1997-2000: Spider-Man is married!
2000-2003: Spider-Man is a widower! Actually Mary Jane was kidnapped again and while she eventually escape she is still separated from Spider-Man because she is tired of all of this kidnapping and clones and poo poo.
2003-2007: Spider-Man is married!
2007-2019: Spider-Man was never married!

There is now significantly longer between One More Day and today than there was between Spider-Man getting married and the Clone Saga, and there are 36 years worth of Not Married Spider-Man compared to 20 years of Married or At Least Technically He Was Married At Some Point, If He Is In Fact Spider-Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

As for the "right" way to roll back the character, I've thought the best solution was the silver age Superman one. Give us a "Whatever Happened to the Man of the Spider" style sendoff where we get a good ending for the version of Peter Parker that we've been following all along, he gets a happy ending, and then the next issue just starts with the version of Spider-Man they want to use. Screw continuity or in-story explanations, just tell the fans, "We want to do something different [ie. exactly the same as when we were kids] with Peter Parker and we're just going to go with it." It's a bit messy and there will always be whiners, but that's the best way to pull off the band-aide.

Marvel has always been against doing that sort of DC-style reboot and I honestly think it's served them well, despite sometimes leading to things like the Clone Saga. There's something to be said for sticking to your continuity even if it gets inconvenient. The desire to roll back the character to what you liked when you were a kid is where the problems originate.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Bendis... is running everything now anyway.

Action Comics, Young Justice and Naomi are high in my faves at the moment, DC or otherwise.

edit: Haha. Read running as ruining.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 8, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whatever happened to that totally not America Chavez comic that was supposed to come from Image?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

In the context of the Clone Saga, the marriage was 100% editorially dictated in 1986 and led to Roger Stern quitting the book because he didn't like how they were forcing a relatively out-of-nowhere marriage onto the character because Stan Lee thought it would be good PR for the comic strip.

The timeline of Spider-Man's publication history is:
1963-1987: Spider-Man is not married
1987-1994: Spider-Man is married but Mary Jane spends a significant amount of time getting kidnapped or estranged from Peter
1994-1996: Spider-Man is married but might just be a clone, not the actual Spider-Man! Also he freaks out and hits his wife.
1997-2000: Spider-Man is married!
2000-2003: Spider-Man is a widower! Actually Mary Jane was kidnapped again and while she eventually escape she is still separated from Spider-Man because she is tired of all of this kidnapping and clones and poo poo.
2003-2007: Spider-Man is married!
2007-2019: Spider-Man was never married!

There is now significantly longer between One More Day and today than there was between Spider-Man getting married and the Clone Saga, and there are 36 years worth of Not Married Spider-Man compared to 20 years of Married or At Least Technically He Was Married At Some Point, If He Is In Fact Spider-Man.

Actually, Stern quit Spider-Man before the marriage, I think he said it was because of creative differences with Danny Fingeroth, as well the artist change (he's also said if he'd known Ron Frenz was going to be the new artist he might've stayed on). He was offered a chance to write Spectacular Spider-Man after the marriage, which he turned down.

And while it was editorially dictated I've read elsewhere that the reason it seemed so rushed was down to a miscommunication over when the marriage was going to take place.

And between Spider-Girl, Renew Your Vows and Newspaper Spider-Man, there's technically been continuously-published married Spider-Man stories of one kind or another ever since the initial wedding. :smugbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Apropos of our previous discussion about American food comics, I read a couple American food comics. the first was Voracious volume 1

Voracious volume 1 is terrible. The premise is a restaurant where they us a time machine to get dinosaur meat and serve it to their customers. What do you think the very first page of a comic like that would be? That's right, the very first page is a guy watching helplessly as his sister burns to death in a kitchen fire! And then it goes on for quite some time about how the guy moved back home and has depression because his sister burned to death, and then a long time setting up how he gets a time machine and why he only uses it to go back to dinosaur time. I guess they thought the reader who bought a comic about eating dinosaurs would think it was too silly if it jumped right into the dinosaur stuff.

Eventually it does finally get around to eating dinosaurs. You're thinking, alright, it gets into how different dinosaurs taste and how to prepare them, using what we know about the diets and behaviors of dinosaurs and how to cook and eat their bird descendants, right? T-rex is like a really gamey emu but it makes a great stew! Compsognathus is like a more flavorful pheasant! That's what you'd expect, right? Wrong. Dinosaurs taste really good. That's it, that's literally the entire total of the extent Voracious, the comic about cooking dinosaurs, gets into on cooking and eating dinosaurs. They all taste the same apparently. Dude goes back in time, kills any random dinosaur, brings it back, uses it as the sole source of meat for his restaurant, and when he runs out he goes back and gets a different dinosaur.

What makes it worse is that the complete lack of any culinary discussion of the dinosaurs makes the fact that the guy can only get over his dead sister depression by killing dinosaurs and secretly serving them to unsuspecting patrons insane. He's not discovering a whole new realm of cuisine heretofore unavailable to any human cook, he's just a psychopath with a time machine. There are no cooking scenes, where you seem him trying new stuff and going step by step through different recipes. No, you only see him interacting with the dinosaurs when he's killing and butchering them. And when his customers eat the dinosaurs, you don't see them experiencing the food, you just them them thanking the guy for a delicious meal. Which really makes it stand out how unethical it is that he's serving them dinosaur meat without their knowledge.

And through all this the guy's grandma starts having seizures and there's a soldier with PTSD, and it's all as terribly out of place in a time travel dinosaur eating comic as the first page was. And the guy gets a love interest, a woman who uses words like "foodgasm" and "kicksplosion" because she's quirky.

The final few pages of the first volume set up that the second volume is going to be about super advanced dinosaurs from an alternate timeline future tracking the guy down for killing their ancestors. The comic is so stupid, it implies that every dinosaur he kills in the past equals one descendant dinosaur vanishing in the future. Just one.

gently caress Voracious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just read Won Ton Soup. You should read Won Ton Soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you'd think it'd be fairly easy to find out before reading that Voracious isn't actually a food comic but gently caress man, that's just beyond me