Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

twodot posted:

I think there's a fundamental divide here:

Assholes spreading lies need to be opposed regardless of whether our volunteers have the time or context to recognize the issue.

But like...the fact that you really, fervently believe you're right doesn't make you right. Or make your perspective the only possible one on an issue.

What if you're the rear end in a top hat sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Allowing other posters to believe lies?

Like, you can't say this is all just bullshit on the internet so truth doesn't matter while simultaneously claiming civility and decorum are super important. I'm not suggesting people drop trou and start making GBS threads at the first sign of disagreement, but if you don't think there's a point where ceasing to treat someone as a good faith interlocuter is justified I don't know what to tell you.

Use your words, sources, etc, and refute them? It's ok to debate and discuss in the D&D forum IMO.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

twodot posted:

Uh, yeah, I'm coming out as anti-lies in the political forums. If being anti-lies is controversial we should have that fight here and now.

you can engage lies, but assume that the poster in question believes those lies and can be talked out of believing them until it's clear that they can't. then if they keep going disengage and call in a mod. if someone isn't arguing in good faith 15 posters laying sick burns on them isn't going to make them shut up or change their mind. its just going to poo poo up the thread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

wateroverfire posted:

Use your words, sources, etc, and refute them? It's ok to debate and discuss in the D&D forum IMO.

The whole point of arguing in bad faith is that the nominal thrust of the argument isn't actually the real goal. For example, engaging a red herring on facts is exactly the wrong thing to do.

By all means have assuming good faith be the obligatory default, but there comes a point where calling the argument disingenuous is the only way forward. The idea that a board on the something awful forums should allow for no options besides taking posts at face value or reporting them and sitting on your hands is insane to me, to the point where I suspect one of us is misunderstanding the other.

Not to mention you have to have plat to report anyone or send PMs.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

fool_of_sound posted:

you can engage lies, but assume that the poster in question believes those lies and can be talked out of believing them until it's clear that they can't. then if they keep going disengage and call in a mod. if someone isn't arguing in good faith 15 posters laying sick burns on them isn't going to make them shut up or change their mind. its just going to poo poo up the thread.
Whereas calling in a mod who may or may not have the time or context to recognize the issue and who might just straight up do nothing because they're busy for whatever reason allowing the rear end in a top hat liar to continue to spread lies without opposition won't poo poo up the thread? I would 10 out of 10 times prefer to read 15 posters laying sick burns on a liar than read a bunch of liars spreading each others lies. You are straight up arguing for ceding the forum to anyone who can lie well enough to trick a mod.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm just really unconvinced there are actually tons of posters arguing in bad faith such that just assuming people believe what they say is a big problem. Whereas apparently twodot thinks there's a literal conspiracy of lieposters gaslighting the SA forums I guess.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm just really unconvinced there are actually tons of posters arguing in bad faith such that just assuming people believe what they say is a big problem. Whereas apparently twodot thinks there's a literal conspiracy of lieposters gaslighting the SA forums I guess.
So you've abandoned the treat people in good faith principle then?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm just really unconvinced there are actually tons of posters arguing in bad faith such that just assuming people believe what they say is a big problem.

quote:

By all means have assuming good faith be the obligatory default, but there comes a point where calling the argument disingenuous is the only way forward. The idea that a board on the something awful forums should allow for no options besides taking posts at face value or reporting them and sitting on your hands is insane to me, to the point where I suspect one of us is misunderstanding the other.

Have you ever read the libertarian thread when there's a live one posting? Or basically any of the iterations of uspol or Trump thread? There's tons of people who may sincerely believe the conclusions they're supporting, but absolutely support them using dishonest arguments, who quietly pretend to have never made specific arguments, and repeatedly skip over posts they can't figure out how to counter. It's not subtle.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

twodot posted:

So you've abandoned the treat people in good faith principle then?

No? Not sure where you're getting that. Your last post was literally theorycrafting about a team of people posting in bad faith spreading each other's lies.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

fool_of_sound posted:

No? Not sure where you're getting that. Your last post was literally theorycrafting about a team of people posting in bad faith spreading each other's lies.

No it wasn't. He said nothing about cooperation or coordination.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

No it wasn't. He said nothing about cooperation or coordination.

That's definately how I read it but I'll admit I was wrong if that's not what he means.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Would you consider putting words in people's mouth a rhetorical device that people us in bad faith or good faith?
edit:
If it's not clear here is the good faith way to do what you did:
"It sounds to me you are concerned about a literal conspiracy of posters that I think doesn't exist and I'm not concerned about"
After which I can clarify, but if you tell me and others what I think then my only response is "You're being an rear end in a top hat"

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 2, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

twodot posted:

Would you consider putting words in people's mouth a rhetorical device that people us in bad faith or good faith?

I think he just assumed "spreading each other's lies" to mean they were actually working together rather than just adopting any argument that gets a rise out of people, or one lifted from the same dumb RWM source.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

twodot posted:

I'm not interested in entertaining this, especially right after you characterized my opinion in really uncharitable terms. If I misunderstood your hypothetical then I apologize.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

I think he just assumed "spreading each other's lies" to mean they were actually working together rather than just adopting any argument that gets a rise out of people, or one lifted from the same dumb RWM source.
I know that's very clearly what happened, but instead of replying in good faith, they decided to cram words in my mouth to make some half assed ad absurdum in the middle of a discussion of how to deal with people acting in bad faith.

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm not interested in entertaining this, especially right after you characterized my opinion in really uncharitable terms. If I misunderstood your hypothetical then I apologize.
The problem isn't that you misunderstood me, communication failures happen sure. The problem is you are saying people acting in bad faith don't need active opposition, while also telling the world and me that you know what I think, which is classic bad faith rhetoric.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 2, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

twodot posted:

I know that's very clearly what happened, but instead of replying in good faith, they decided to cram words in my mouth to make some half assed ad absurdum in the middle of a discussion of how to deal with people acting in bad faith.

I replied in good faith to what I assumed was an ad absurdum from you buddy

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

The whole point of arguing in bad faith is that the nominal thrust of the argument isn't actually the real goal. For example, engaging a red herring on facts is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Not to mention you have to have plat to report anyone or send PMs.

I think it's ok to say "I don't see what X thing has to do with whatever we're talking about." or just "ok dude I don't see it that way but I don't want to spend 20 pages arguing about it either" if a person doesn't want to keep arguing with someone. It's not necessary to be undisputedly seen as right (I mean...when in the history of SA has a forum argument ended that way anyway?) or to have the last word.

And if it's that important to you to be able to report or send PMs then give Lowtax that :tenbux:!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You can also reply "I already responded to this and you're clearly not interested in having a discussion" but that should be the end of it, not a twenty page slap fight

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

I replied in good faith to what I assumed was an ad absurdum from you buddy
I think we have found the problem here.

fool_of_sound posted:

Whereas apparently twodot thinks there's a literal conspiracy of lieposters gaslighting the SA forums I guess.
This is not a good faith argument. Even if you sincerely believe you know what I think, you telling me and others that you know what I think, apparently better than I do, because you felt a need to explain to me and others what I think instead of just letting us read my posts and come to our own conclusions is gaslighting. You are actually gaslighting me while saying gaslighting is not a thing that needs active opposition here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

You can also reply "I already responded to this and you're clearly not interested in having a discussion" but that should be the end of it, not a twenty page slap fight

Isn’t that just a parting shot?

Either respond to the person directly, post your “correct” opinion on the topic without replying, or just ignore them. Nothing is gained when people just go “welp I’m not replying to you anymore.”

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
"Bad faith" doesn't mean "makes a poor, fallacious, or incorrect argument" twodot. It means "doesn't believe the argument being made". Despite your insistence I genuinely believed you were refering to a conspiracy, because of what blue footed boobie posted.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Trabisnikof posted:

Either respond to the person directly, post your “correct” opinion on the topic without replying, or just ignore them. Nothing is gained when people just go “welp I’m not replying to you anymore.”

Potentially. A parting shot is "... I'm not replying anymore" at the end of a post with other content in an attempt to get the last word in.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think there's a problem with saying 'yeah this isn't going anywhere nevermind' honestly, as long as it actually ends there

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Basically my point isnt "assume incorrect and bad arguments are true". That's facially stupid. My point is "assume others are making their arguments sincerely and out of a desire for discussion, and are not maliciously misrepresenting things to win internet arguments". At least until it's pretty clear otherwise

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

"Bad faith" doesn't mean "makes a poor, fallacious, or incorrect argument" twodot. It means "doesn't believe the argument being made". Despite your insistence I genuinely believed you were refering to a conspiracy, because of what blue footed boobie posted.
Bad faith means you're making an argument for a purpose unrelated to the content of the argument. Not believing the content of the argument is one way to do that. You put forward an argument that I think there's a conspiracy, but not because you actually cared whether that argument was true. If you cared about the truth value of that argument, you would just ask me, because I'm a perfect oracle on what I think. I don't care to speculate what purpose you had in declaring to the world that you know what I think, but it couldn't have been because you thought other people needed to know what I think and you were the best person to do that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
OK well if you're going to continue to insist that after I explained myself and apologized am not interested in continuing this discussion.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

OK well if you're going to continue to insist that after I explained myself and apologized am not interested in continuing this discussion.
I put forward a definition of bad faith which includes the thing you did (and you haven't apologized for), either refute my definition, or explain why yours is better.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

twodot posted:

Bad faith means you're making an argument for a purpose unrelated to the content of the argument. Not believing the content of the argument is one way to do that. You put forward an argument that I think there's a conspiracy, but not because you actually cared whether that argument was true. If you cared about the truth value of that argument, you would just ask me, because I'm a perfect oracle on what I think. I don't care to speculate what purpose you had in declaring to the world that you know what I think, but it couldn't have been because you thought other people needed to know what I think and you were the best person to do that.

twodot posted:

This is not a good faith argument. Even if you sincerely believe you know what I think, you telling me and others that you know what I think, apparently better than I do, because you felt a need to explain to me and others what I think instead of just letting us read my posts and come to our own conclusions is gaslighting.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Really don't think that D&D has a significant issue with people arguing in bad faith or trolling with intentionally bad data. It's that the range of acceptable views on any given topic is often extremely narrow such that when someone deviates even slightly from those views the belief is that person isn't genuine and/or is lying to make their point. Because if they were being truthful then they'd come to my conclusion, which is obviously right. There's no clean way to moderate that and think the mods are generally pretty good at taking a hands off approach.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

Really don't think that D&D has a significant issue with people arguing in bad faith or trolling with intentionally bad data. It's that the range of acceptable views on any given topic is often extremely narrow such that when someone deviates even slightly from those views the belief is that person isn't genuine and/or is lying to make their point. Because if they were being truthful then they'd come to my conclusion, which is obviously right. There's no clean way to moderate that and think the mods are generally pretty good at taking a hands off approach.

I think use of outright fake data and the like is rare, but there definitely is a lot of...half-conscious bad faith, I guess? Like, there's a lot of topics on D&D where people on both sides of the argument respond to strawmen rather than the actual opposing argument (although this is often because the actual points were already argued to an impasse several pages ago), and Blue Footed Booby is right that there are people who do the jrodenfeld thing of systematically responding to every opposing argument except the strongest ones. There's also the trick (common in the Venezuela thread, for instance) of bringing up a point that's already been argued against extensively if not outright refuted as though it's new; but in fast-moving megathreads where it's unreasonable to expect people to have read every previous post, people will often do this in good faith.

I'm not sure what can be done about this, especially since I think almost all regular posters will ignore a strong opposing point occasionally. Longer probations for people who are really blatant about it, I guess?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 2, 2019

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

twodot posted:

I put forward a definition of bad faith which includes the thing you did (and you haven't apologized for), either refute my definition, or explain why yours is better.

It seems to me that his definition is closer to trolling, while yours is closer to rhetoric.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mercrom posted:

It seems to me that his definition is closer to trolling, while yours is closer to rhetoric.
I would guess a significant portion of people that are called trolls do sincerely believe what they are saying, they are just also assholes that think their sincere beliefs get a rise out of people, and aren't much interested in sustaining an actual discussion or argument, which fits my definition of putting forth arguments for reasons not related to the content of the argument. Also I'm not trying to build a case against rhetoric itself, just that people who make arguments for dishonest reasons (reasons unrelated to demonstrating the validity of their argument) are doing something that's objectionable for the same reason it's bad if people just lie about their beliefs, AND more importantly and relevant to this thread, that people doing those things should be publicly opposed, rather than just allowing assholes to wave their dishonesty around and hope that a mod has the free time and awareness to deal with an anonymous rear end in a top hat on the Internet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Honestly, I think the best thing for this forum (and many other threads) is for non-mods to lose the assumption that they can suggest other users “stop posting”. I’ve been a villain in several threads (none in D&D), and I always shrug off multiple “shut up Craptacular go away and never return” because none of those people are mods and thus their complaints are toothless. But the effect of that sort of posting not only turns a discussion forum into a string of vendettas, and it’s probably worse for people who aren’t the target to read eight straight posts of STFU toward someone who is probably immune to it anyway.

So basically, unless you’re a mod, stop telling people to stop posting. It does nothing and just makes the thread worse.

Exit: I also want to suggest this may be a consequence of the report button being for platinum users only. As a result, people who can’t afford to call the mods to a problem post try to address it with mob justice.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 3, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i think assuming others are posting in good faith is a good rule for this friggin' thread!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
What if the other person just really fervently believes that black people are subhuman

Does that make the debate worth having

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Unoriginal Name posted:

What if the other person just really fervently believes that black people are subhuman

Does that make the debate worth having

it makes them worth banning permanently from the forum.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

R. Guyovich posted:

it makes them worth banning permanently from the forum.

I mean this in an actual non-snark fashion:
Is being a racist actually against any rule beyond mod/admin judgement?

There are rules against offensive terms and slurs but as far as I can tell, racism of the dog whistle variety is ...OK?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

I mean this in an actual non-snark fashion:
Is being a racist actually against any rule beyond mod/admin judgement?

There are rules against offensive terms and slurs but as far as I can tell, racism of the dog whistle variety is ...OK?

Yeah I mean the rules pretty much say expect to get banned if you're a racist and post like one.

quote:

These forums are not a safe space for racists and idiots. If you want someplace to post about how much you hate [minority group X], perhaps you can try the rest of the internet. This rule is completely, 100% subjective and is based on the mod reading the post at the time. Use at your own peril.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I mean the rules pretty much say expect to get banned if you're a racist and post like one.

Interestingly, the GBS general forum rules (which you link) read slightly different than the forum rules page linked in the D&D rules thread. These rules seem somewhat outdated, sadly.

Mind you, I dont see a lot of sunlight between "I think you are racist and should be banned" and "I think you are a lovely poster and should be banned" as a mod fiat, bit its nice to see an anti-chan stance has been codified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
argueing in bad faith and trolling is good sometimes... just depends on the context.

any rule set needs to account for the fact that
  • it's impossible for the mods to read every post, and it would still be impossible if there were twice as many; if posters 'selflessly' volunteered to be thread iks, etc.
  • people are really bad at reporting stuff (either don't report at all, or give a dogshit report reason)
  • there's usually only 2 or 3 problem threads at a time. the posters usually all hate the thread, but would melt down if was closed (seems like a them problem rather than a rules problem???)
  • it would suck if d&d went back to just being boring guys doing paragraphs at each other

also the rule against threatening world leaders shouldn't just apply to colonialist states :smugmrgw: