Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Normal Adult Human posted:

Wow that's like, two top end laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Wouldn't that mean uploading the code to another party, though? If you're worried about loving over the person who got it to you in the first place...

Although that then makes me wonder why they didn't just scrub it from the start. Also, the fact that we know who has the code now means it's probably pretty possible to figure out who stole it anyway, just based on who they know.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yikes that discord is cancer

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Although that then makes me wonder why they didn't just scrub it from the start.

Because the plan was almost 100% "I am never going to release this poo poo so why bother", if they were going to do it they'd have done it some time in the last 7 years. Especially if they were ever afraid of getting compromised and all that poo poo getting spread around.

Not sure what changed, but whatever got him to change his mind from gaslighting and mega cult-like asshollery to seemingly making this poo poo available is good.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

Because the plan was almost 100% "I am never going to release this poo poo so why bother", if they were going to do it they'd have done it some time in the last 7 years. Especially if they were ever afraid of getting compromised and all that poo poo getting spread around.

Not sure what changed, but whatever got him to change his mind from gaslighting and mega cult-like asshollery to seemingly making this poo poo available is good.

I mean, even if you don't plan to release it, if you really cared about making sure your source is safe you'd do it anyway for exactly the situation that's happening right now.

although TBH I don't really think Leandro is a cult leader or whatever so much as just a turbogoon with really poor social skills, which lines up with someone who goes into IT in the first place.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
the code dropped

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Source code just got released. We're going home guys https://mega.nz/#!WgNSiQDA!xUTm9uhI4uWnbqgzWpP533CMZYlSDnbj1X-A-hNTcyI

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Waiting for someone to successfully use it other than Leandro before I get my hopes up.

A part of me still can't help but imagine them gutting the source code in some non-trivial fashion under the guise of scrubbing it of fingerprints of the original leaker, out of spite.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm torn.

Part of me really, really, REALLY wants to play City of Heroes again, like real bad.

But at the same time part of me wants to leave the past in the past.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I'm torn.

Part of me really, really, REALLY wants to play City of Heroes again, like real bad.

But at the same time part of me wants to leave the past in the past.

If you wanna play CoX, play CoX. The simple fact is that the brand of MMORPGs that CoX represents is dead. That genre is over. Aside from indie projects like Pantheon (which will probably be garbage), developers have wised up to the cost of developing and running an MMO. The dream of WoW killing is dead. There will never be another game like CoX, simply because developers have washed their hands of that market.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 18, 2019

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am far from a hardcore fan, there are people who have a genuine obsession with this game. But, it is the last MMORPG I actually enjoyed, it was a fun video game. That I have to preface my post with that says something, some people have an unhealthy obsession with this game. I would check the subreddit a few times a year to see if there was any news on an emulator, after all other MMORPGs got them.

Having now said all of that, I am pretty psyched. I bet someone spins up a server in less than a week.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

While the server source code was released, NPC/Mission data is still MIA

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

Waiting for someone to successfully use it other than Leandro before I get my hopes up.

A part of me still can't help but imagine them gutting the source code in some non-trivial fashion under the guise of scrubbing it of fingerprints of the original leaker, out of spite.

good news because he only released half the poo poo before deciding to take a nap

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Daztek posted:

While the server source code was released, NPC/Mission data is still MIA

Does he not have that too? Is he releasing it and just needed more time?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Brave New World posted:

Leandro has been gaslighting and lying his rear end off for 6 loving years. Why would anyone be gullible enough to think that:
1) He actually received any death threats in the first place
2) Anyone would fly all the way to Buenos Aires to kill his stupid rear end over a dead video game

C'mon, who's been in computer gaming long enough to care about City of Heroes and doesn't believe at least one and a half of those?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

Does he not have that too? Is he releasing it and just needed more time?

the excuse for why he hasn't released it is shifting, flowing, in motion and ever changing. he claimed at one point it was because of how he'd translated it. also that apparently every single character has every single mission tied to it's data and welp sorry guys can't release it cause then we'd have to give you EVERYTHING. also the guy who has it is uh, asleep!

why on earth reddit is so fast to believe a guy who organized an entire gaslighting and lying campaign for six years is loving beyond me

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
my landlord got death threats when he turned the heating off in winter to "deal with" some uppity seniors. anyways that means what he did was morally correct, as he was the victim.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

my landlord got death threats when he turned the heating off in winter to "deal with" some uppity seniors. anyways that means what he did was morally correct, as he was the victim.

Cutting off heat to the elderly is definitely on the same level as bogarting a dead video game, i agree

Guy is definitely a shithead, but come on now

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Hmmm yes upon further reflection not playing a private server of my dead MMO is a lot like freezing to death in the winter, and furthermore

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The source code and running a serve appear to be pretty complicated. Way beyond what anyone who is begging for it is capable of dealing with.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

I said come in! posted:

The source code and running a serve appear to be pretty complicated. Way beyond what anyone who is begging for it is capable of dealing with.

Well its 4:20pm est and 1:20pm pst, so most of the people who are more capable than 'idea guys' or standard angry mmo fans are at work (the american ones at least). Give it a few hours/days and I'm 100% confident someone will step up to bat that is both capable and a fan of City of Heroes/Villains.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It is possible for Leandro receiving death threats to be wrong and lovely and Leandro to also be a egotistical dumbass who doesn't particularly deserve sympathy or trust. Like, it is not hard to reconcile these two thoughts at the same time jesus people.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is possible for Leandro receiving death threats to be wrong and lovely and Leandro to also be a egotistical dumbass who doesn't particularly deserve sympathy or trust. Like, it is not hard to reconcile these two thoughts at the same time jesus people.

this tbh

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lovely Wizard posted:

I think a lot of of us are just completely desensitized to empty internet threats. They shouldn't be ignored but potentially 20+ years of "I will rape and murder you and your family" sort of rings hollow. Even one guy sending me a Google maps of my home doesn't make me flinch anymore (take an actual photo in person you bitch). 99% of the time they aren't even within 1000 miles of you let alone the same country.

Then again calling in a fake 911 call to get someone swatted and potentially murdered is a very real thing in the US at least.

Lmafo, the brokebrain Gen-X contingent is really out in full force wilding on peeps today.

"Yeah I'm used to people just harassing each other from decades of exposure to it, I don't really see the issue with this incredibly toxic form of communication"

Like gently caress off my dude, crawl back into whatever '00 hole you emerged from.

also lol @ the whole "hurrr its a sycophantic cult of personality" poo poo. Is it elitist and cliquish? Almost certainly, although unless anyone in here is in the place I don't think we'll know the full scope. But seriously, there's no need to import FB or reddit brain worms here with the temper tantrum sourced hyperbole.

Hype for the code leak tho

vvv lol if you think it's about the credibility of the threat and not it being an awful way to communicate to your fellow humans. Way to swerve on the point

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 18, 2019

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Lmafo, the brokebrain Gen-X contingent is really out in full force wilding on peeps today.

"Yeah I'm used to people just harassing each other from decades of exposure to it, I don't really see the issue with this incredibly toxic form of communication"

Like gently caress off my dude, crawl back into whatever '00 hole you emerged from.

also lol @ the whole "hurrr its a sycophantic cult of personality" poo poo. Is it elitist and cliquish? Almost certainly, although unless anyone in here is in the place I don't think we'll know the full scope. But seriously, there's no need to import FB or reddit brain worms here with the temper tantrum sourced hyperbole.

I'm sorry you have a broken brain, I'm sorry that you think every idiot with an internet connection and a threat is credible.

Seek Help friend. I'm not replying to any of your future posts because this is a thread about a video game, but if you'd like to continue this discussion in PMs then I'd be open to it.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Why do you think he released it? If everyone played nice we wouldn't have poo poo

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are you, uhh, okay?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

vvv lol if you think it's about the credibility of the threat and not it being an awful way to communicate to your fellow humans. Way to swerve on the point

Yikes. Glad the chans did this tbh.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair he's absolutely right RE: the cult thing. It is not LITERALLY a cult, it is just a Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers (their name) who exhibit characteristics that are cultish in nature.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
For the record, making death threats is completely wrong and inexcusable. Not believing a serial liar's claims about receiving death threats does not mean that you condone death threats.

Lol that anyone is giving any of these people the benefit of the doubt for anything.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
The MEGA link to the source code is already offline. Anyone got another link?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

ayy lmao drat man

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

wow what kind of retards did they let on this forum after i left

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The only reason anything is being released is because the dude's dirty laundry got aired and roundly mocked. They were not going to release poo poo, ever, if they'd stayed a secret.

It's a cult of personality my dude.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I really hope he releases the missing Mission/NPC/Map data.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

To be fair he's absolutely right RE: the cult thing. It is not LITERALLY a cult, it is just a Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers (their name) who exhibit characteristics that are cultish in nature.

let me know when they commit ritual suicide :colbert:

sword_man.gif posted:

the excuse for why he hasn't released it is shifting, flowing, in motion and ever changing. he claimed at one point it was because of how he'd translated it. also that apparently every single character has every single mission tied to it's data and welp sorry guys can't release it cause then we'd have to give you EVERYTHING. also the guy who has it is uh, asleep!

why on earth reddit is so fast to believe a guy who organized an entire gaslighting and lying campaign for six years is loving beyond me

sounds to me like a guy who put a lot of lovely jokes he thought wouldn't see the light of day into the mission data

wonder how many harem gently caress missions are stuffed in there now, he did have 7 years to do what he wanted to it.

we're playing the shittiest game of autofill russian roulette here, see what happens after he has a chance to clean out what he did to it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People begged for the source code and we got it, what is the issue now?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

People begged for the source code and we got it, what is the issue now?

people didn't realize there's more to an mmo than just the source code

come to think of it, all of the original art assets and such are still floating around, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

people didn't realize there's more to an mmo than just the source code

come to think of it, all of the original art assets and such are still floating around, right?

I honestly don't know that I can blame or be upset with the one single person capable of running a CoH server wanted to keep it a secret. The CoH community seems completely wild and embarrassing. And I don't mean this forum, I love all of you, but the various CoH communities on Reddit and elsewhere, are absurd.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

I said come in! posted:

I honestly don't know that I can blame or be upset with the one single person capable of running a CoH server wanted to keep it a secret. The CoH community seems completely wild and embarrassing. And I don't mean this forum, I love all of you, but the various CoH communities on Reddit and elsewhere, are absurd.

His whole gaslighting and psuedo-cult secrecy/shaming/blackmailing ("if we find out you leaked we ban not only you and your invitees, but people you played with!!!") means he's just as bad as the worst elements of the CoH community if not worse.

Free Headcrab posted:

wow what kind of retards did they let on this forum after i left

It's was like that since Ozma took over for Lowtax, but ever since she's been kicked out/left/whatever and he returned it's been steadily getting back to being good again with the occasional retard popping up. I don't miss stuff like 'n****rdeath' or ultrastrict mods (Bad punctuation? That's a month probation!), but SA isn't supposed to pander to the softest brain individuals who have no idea of how the internet functions.

SA's reputation used to be "sort of assholes but not total pieces of poo poo (except for goonfleet sometimes) and an occasional heart of gold", and I think we're closer to that than we were 6 or 7 years ago.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't really know why it *wouldn't* be, but I'm really hoping the release is for City of Villains too. I was never able to get into Heroes much but I played the gently caress out of Villains.