Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I love Heavy Metal. Why don't comics look like that anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Cause all the mentally imbalanced artists these days just make their own web comics or put random crap on deviant art.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

they do, in europe. most of the artists featured in heavy metal were european comics artists who are pretty famous in the comics scene elsewhere but generally unknown in america. europe, particularly france has a robust comic scene that most americans never get exposed to until they start reading 'graphic novels'. it's a whole world you'll never get exposed to if you never dig deeper than superhero books. the american comic book industry just keeps telling stories about the same guys for the last seventy years, it's wild

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

luxury handset posted:

they do, in europe. most of the artists featured in heavy metal were european comics artists who are pretty famous in the comics scene elsewhere but generally unknown in america. europe, particularly france has a robust comic scene that most americans never get exposed to until they start reading 'graphic novels'. it's a whole world you'll never get exposed to if you never dig deeper than superhero books. the american comic book industry just keeps telling stories about the same guys for the last seventy years, it's wild

100% this. Heavy Metal is the American edition of Metal Hurlant, which is (was?) a French publication. Bandes dessinees (french/Belgian comics) are real loving good as a whole, with some of the world’s most popular comics like tin tin and asterix come from the world of french comics. It’s a shame they don’t get as much exposure in the English speaking world.

Moebius is probably the only french comics artist widely known in the west and he was an unbelievable artist, but there are many more worthy of recognition. I really love Philipe Druillet’s style in particular.

E: here’s some moebius, his detail work is really loving incredible. I think this is from Arzak which got an English release just recently iirc.

And this from city of fire

RIP

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 25, 2019

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
* E : Hahahaah, nice one 'caps

What you need to be searching for is "Métal Hurlant", its where heavy metal started from.
and its p. amazing.

and in case you did not know, some movies have been made....
here's one cut into a clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnlGEQ1NUsk
Bilal's "Immortal"
http://www.multiverse.org/imagehive/index.php/bookcovers/comiccovers/Inspirations/MoebiusAirtightGarage

However, that completely hageshii style of art is not just Giraud

staberind fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 25, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
fantagraphics is the big american-based publisher of fancy rear end art boy 'graphic novels' and they reprint a ton of european work in america. also check out canadian drawn and quarterly

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

staberind posted:

However, that completely hageshii style of art is not just Giraud

Isn't this from Hard Boiled? By Frank Miller, the same guy who came up with Sin City?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

fakeaccount posted:

Isn't this from Hard Boiled? By Frank Miller, the same guy who came up with Sin City?

bingo, Frank Miller & Geoff Darrow.

staberind fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 25, 2019

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Van culture owns, just lol if you wouldn't roll around in any one of these

Heavy metal magazine also owns

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i know supervan has already been posted but it really is spectacular as a showpiece of van sleaze (the film sucks tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVmoGKKNQs&t=2812s

ThawedGladiator
Aug 29, 2008

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Kickass, thanks for this

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

fakeaccount posted:

My dad had a cb when I was growing up. He hardly ever used it because every time you turned it on, the only thing you would ever hear, ever, was some hillbilly 3 states away bragging about how he was transmitting at an insanely illegal power level that could reach the other side of the earth. If you were operating at a legal power level, your signal wouldn't reach him so you couldn't tell him to shut the gently caress up and that nobody cares.

This post made me curious what was happening on CB these days, so I found livecbradio.com and that was basically the first thing I heard.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

luxury handset posted:

i know supervan has already been posted but it really is spectacular as a showpiece of van sleaze (the film sucks tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVmoGKKNQs&t=2812s

Oh yeah, the movie is pretty bad, and SuperVan makes a super annoying high pitched sound whenever it's cruising around on screen. However, Super Van itself is awesome, some of the other van footage (especially the CB-heavy van convoy towards the end) is great, and the cameo of Charles Bukowski judging a wet T-shirt contest deserves to be seen.

The Van is much better, if only because the Straight Arrow is hilarious and amazing. Watch this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsV48ReyKoo

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

free hubcaps posted:

man these old Cold War heavy metals kick rear end

I like this.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Excuse me sir, there is nothing trashy about the glorious war hero Colonel Ninotchka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6kE_CweXo

She's my favorite GLOW character!

Heels rule, Faces drool.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Serious Party Gods posted:

Witchy your av is radical. Here's an old crummy favorite for the OP:

Do you have this? If so, please post funny stuff from the interior!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Taekwon-do what karat-don't

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, that overpowered cb rear end in a top hat is also a flat earther?
(thats maybe the only way a cb radio, however overdriven, could reach "around" lol, the world.)
otoh, if it wern't for cb and the like, I don't think we would have pocket computers that we can call people on and watch super hornio bros on at the same time.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Serious Party Gods posted:

Witchy your av is radical.

Thanks! Took me a while to get the loop right but I really like how it came out.

I'm glad everyone got a kick out of Heavy Metal. In the spirit of the thread, here's a space van:

:nws: https://archive.org/details/heavy-metal-magazine-1977-04/page/n85 :nws:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

Have to go watch the Laserblast episode of MST3K again.

Also Master Ninja I and II. Trying to think of any other episodes that feature :krad: vans.

Pretty hosed up that Ben Murphy didn't have a van in Riding With Death imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Beef City posted:

Taekwon-do what karat-don't

I like how everyone in the 70's was apparently deathly afraid of ninjas

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, you can't see them until it's too late.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Also Master Ninja I and II. Trying to think of any other episodes that feature :krad: vans.

Other notable movie vans include (but are not limited to):

Breaker! Breaker!

Midnight Madness

Secret Admirer

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Other notable movie vans include (but are not limited to):

Breaker! Breaker!

The movie went out of its way to let the audience know that it is a certified gently caress wagon also.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-641725526/ninjas

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Midnight Madness looks like a helluva van.
And I wanna meet that hell of a MAN next to it.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
When I was a kid and went grandmas house there was always a van backed into the driveway two houses down. Black with a giant dragon painted on the side.

I want a van so bad.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I'm the burgular

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

I'm the burgular

Nice.
I missed that because I was too busy concerned if my air horn was only meant for tea party grannies rather than real road hogs.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

with lee VAN cleef and timothy VAN patten :o

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

with lee VAN cleef and timothy VAN patten :o

:captainpop:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Midnight Madness

Flounder?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

It's interesting they don't really seem to care about their sound systems much. You'd think they'd have some big speakers in there so they could open the doors and blast some Journey or whatever.

my dad left behind a bunch of VAN WORLD magazines and one of the issues went into "the best sound system" or something like that. i'll see if i can dig it up at home.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

No hard copies OP, just a digital collector/seeker of crummy ephemera:

(Sorry for the size weirdness and the couple bad scans, I'm on my phone):

This one isn't really exploitative, it just kicks rear end

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would 100 percent buy this as a poster.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

This picture gets more ridiculous the longer you look at it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I want to know what kind of car that is

naem
May 29, 2011

SELF DEFENSE FOR WOMEN

*chops watermelon on pile of dudes*

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

SELF DEFENSE FOR WOMEN

*chops watermelon on pile of dudes*

Sounds like you've never been attacked by a watermelon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

hexwren posted:

I want to know what kind of car that is

I think it's a Porsche 924?

Edit: More likely a 928, but I'm not an actual "car guy".