Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Grey Hunter posted:

The Judeans peoples front finally turns a corner and looks like it may survive - until the incoming civil war kicks off!

Well done in turning this one around I thought you were screwed when it turned into a 3v1. Now you can get back to consolidating and planning on how to deal with Macedonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! Doing great. Also remember to make things so you can make heavy infantry! We've seen how brutal they are!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Width 3 and some good troops make for a hard invasion!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
the end of my middle-difficulty Rome run. This game can be brutal as all hell.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Tell me about it!

I'm most of the way through an update, but my kids been playing up, so I'll try and finish off this evening.
Hint. More people declare war on us.

Also, I hate people with more time than me, I've had the game for weeks and I've not finished one yet - but then again, I have only a few hours a day and I'm running to many LP! at the moment!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

First up, confession time, I screwed up and overwrote the save for the battle, so we;re just going to autocomplete – I've overbooked myself on LPs, and need to get things flowing better!

272 BC

We destroy the enemy with minimal losses. The heat in the deserts mean we cannot advance south to engage them.

I do send the secondary army on a capture mission.

The shifting fortunes of war have opened up a front with the Massaelysians. I order another army formed.

I try and get loyalty and decadence under control.

271 BC

What the hell?

For the love of the gods Syracuse! I thought we'd worked this out!

The desert independents are stronger than I thought.

Counter attacks are ordered.

270 BC

The desert tribes threatening out men on Orea are wiped out.

We retake our lost city in Sicily without a fight, and begin to march into Syracuse lands

Numida removes on enemy for us, but they are not what I would call friends.

The desert tribes will face my wrath.

269 BC

Our forces are defeated by the Syracusian defenders.

They then counter attack and besiege Agrigentum.

Tabnit crushes the desert forces.

We try and co-operated with our nomadic neighbours to the east.

While the ones to the west join the eternal war once more.

268 BC

The Syracusians storm the walls.

Then they march into Eryx to invest the city there.

The Numidians overwhelm our garrisons.

A Garamantes army even reach Carthage! Our army retreats into the walls, but reinforcements mean they will sally forth next year.

The quickest way to get the main army home is ironically to march it through the Gatamantes heartlands!

268 BC

The Garamites at Carthage are destroyed.

We lose our last foothold in Sicily.

The Garamites capital falls, we plunder 145 gold.

The constant wars are affecting the stability of our realm.

We manage to get peace, but with a lesser foe.

While slaves flow into Carthage, the people are losing confidence in the leadership of the Barcids.

267 BC

We continue to smash the Garamites.

But their eastern army retakes some land.

266 BC

The Numidians take land right next to Carthage.

The Garmites take peace, I'm happy to have one less group to fight.

It's going to be a long march home for our army. Let us hope we can hold out the six years it will take for them to get home!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Carthage can't fight itself out of a wet paper bag apparently

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slaan posted:

Carthage can't fight itself out of a wet paper bag apparently

Carthage, unit-wise is probably one of the worst major powers in the game because they don't natively have access to skirmishers and skirmishers are basically the best bang for your buck with the way battles work. They can get merc skirmishers from Sicily or Sardinia, though.

I think the only unit roster situation that's more crippling is Sparta not having any units with a siege value.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

The Etruscans got a hell of a push

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mans posted:

The Etruscans got a hell of a push

Yeah Samnium is out there with them. I think it randomly generates rebel nation's. I've seen the Etruscans come back in Sardinia, too.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Inspired to pick this up and wow, yes, expanding willy nilly is a mug's game

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lets get a battle going to actually take that remaining region!

Obliterati posted:

Inspired to pick this up and wow, yes, expanding willy nilly is a mug's game

Its actually a great thing - steamrollering your way though those weak provinces gets you more trouble than its worth, you want rich provinces or objectives - and with the AI being as war happy as it is, your often taking land you really don't want - the game really need some way of forming client states to help cut down on this.
OR an AI that won't gang up at the drop of a hat.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Its actually a great thing - steamrollering your way though those weak provinces gets you more trouble than its worth, you want rich provinces or objectives - and with the AI being as war happy as it is, your often taking land you really don't want - the game really need some way of forming client states to help cut down on this.
OR an AI that won't gang up at the drop of a hat.

And an AI that will stand still, especially rebels. I had to play whack-a-mole with enemy stacks because they just keep on moving from my armies. I am okay with this behaviour to extent, but to have it happen constantly is kinda tiring.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jesenjin posted:

And an AI that will stand still, especially rebels. I had to play whack-a-mole with enemy stacks because they just keep on moving from my armies. I am okay with this behaviour to extent, but to have it happen constantly is kinda tiring.

You can actually have your armies target enemy armies themselves by clicking on the opposing army if you need to give chase.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Panzeh posted:

You can actually have your armies target enemy armies themselves by clicking on the opposing army if you need to give chase.

I'll try that. But still hate that a small army can wreck havoc behind the lines. Have to build at least a palisade everywhere just because of that.
But, on the other hand, I like this game. Just haven't figured out how to export to Field of Glory II for manual battles

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

264 BC

You know, with enemies everywhere, I think that large walls may well be a good idea.

The Garamantes expand, forcing my main army to make a detour.

263 BC

Though in the constant wars I've not had much chance to mention it, I am building up our trade network – Oea is a money making machine.

262 BC

The Numidians finally make a move – but they have wasted to many years, and my army is close to getting home. I've been building palisades wherever I have the chance, and now most regions take more than a year to conquer.

261 BC

The Numidians cannot even defeat the garrison here.

And time has run out for them. My main army has arrived.

260 BC

The Numidians continue to lose to province milita.

The Barcids are the true loser here though -with the enemy at the gates of Carthage, they lose power.

A more militarist leader is put in place.

259 BC

The Numdians flee south, retaking Tysdrus.

They then invest the city of Thapsus.

The army is ordered to march south.

258 BC

We catch an annihilate their army.

Now it is time to counter attack!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Ostrogenes fall! at last!

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!
Wow, finally we might kick these sons of bitches in the guts.

We could REALLY use some Carthaginian Sacred Band...but I don't even know if they are portrayed in the game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

257 BC

We brush aside the pitiful Numidian defenders, invest the city and prepare for an assault.

256 BC

They all but open the gates to us.

I order a new second army to join the war, as we march on the two objective provinces.

255 BC

Another city falls to our men.

I split part of the army off to help with the poor supply – and to speed up conquest.

The Numidian army is sighted, and we move to engage.

254 BC

More Numidian defenders are overwhelmed.

Their army is routed in the field.

Those that survive flee into the waiting spears of another of my armies – and are killed to a man.

Now that they are surrounded, the Garamantes realise they are hemmed in, and declare war on us to try and break out.

I divert an army to deal with them.

I order a new army to help with this war.

All this conquest has meant a flow of slaves into Carthage – and now there are rumblings of a slave revolt – I need more slave markets so I can spread these people out!

253 BC

The Garamantes take a worthless desert province in the south.

We take land next to their capital.

Most of my forces remain focused on destroying Numidia – another objective city falls, and we are advancing on their capital.

252 BC

The Numidians call up fresh troops in time to push back my army.

While the fast moving Garamantes army takes two provinces – but leave their capital open for plundering.

251 BC

Our force recovering from the battle with the Numdians is attacked by the Garamantes – and their army is of comparable power to ours.

The first battle is a bloody draw that costs us half our elephants.

The stalemate continues as the forces clash again.

The third battle of the year sees our General perish, and both sides are being worn down by the constant fighting.

But it our men who come out on top – we defeat the enemy and send them fleeing – but we will need time to replenish our forces.

The Garamantes capital falls to our men.

Carthage is expanding once more, but it is coming at a cost in lives.

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!
Thanks to the tireless efforts of our glorious leader, Greynnibal Huntca, North Africa will be ours soon enough, then the other fools will feel the wrath of a unified immensity against their pitiful selves.

Seriously though, amazing job in surviving the atrocious multiple fronts war and turning the tables in North Africa. I can't wait for the moment we come back with huge rear end armies to waste Syracuse's face.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DarkParchment posted:

Thanks to the tireless efforts of our glorious leader, Greynnibal Huntca, North Africa will be ours soon enough, then the other fools will feel the wrath of a unified immensity against their pitiful selves.

Seriously though, amazing job in surviving the atrocious multiple fronts war and turning the tables in North Africa. I can't wait for the moment we come back with huge rear end armies to waste Syracuse's face.

Seriously, I have no idea how you're supposed to be a merchant empire when all of your neighbors are continuously trying to dogpile you.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Should've played Rome!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What makes you think that'll be any easier? They'll probably get eaten by the Etruscans or some such.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Volmarias posted:

Seriously, I have no idea how you're supposed to be a merchant empire when all of your neighbors are continuously trying to dogpile you.

The western med outposts are largely worthless to Carthage- they're better off trying to head into southern Italy and Greece. As I said before, it's easily the weakest major power.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Gaetuli seem to be enormous.

if they declare war..:eyepop:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

250 BC

We repulse a Garamantes raid in the east.

Then take more of their land in the west.

Look I am trying to do commerce stuff! The extended trade range will help bring in more goods and let us send out more for the money.

249 BC

Another minor attack is repulsed.

I order two offensives for the next year.

248 BC

We quickly take the Numidian city, gaining us 100 gold and a progress token!

Though costly in Mercenaries, we take the Garamante land in the middle of our territory.

The Garamantes are little more than a nuisance, I concentrate on taking the richer Numidian lands and send the desert tribes a offer of peace.

247 BC

The need to take out the Numidians grows as the powerful Gaetuli declare war on us!

I send a peace treaty and two armies. One of them should work.

246 BC

An attempt to storm the walls is pushed back.

We meet the Numidian army in the field.

And crush them.

I order the final destruction of Numidia.

245 BC

The Numidians take the peace.

Zeguis is becoming a major trade port.

It can't match Carthage though – and how could I not build this national wonder – money, culture, manpower, equipment and better ships!
One day I shall fight a power where a navy is important.

For now, Carthage remains at war, but is growing stronger.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I look forward to the next update where the Gaetuli undo all our gains, Numidia redeclares war, and Syracuse launches a naval invasion.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Literally took all of one turn for the Gaetuli to attack lmao.

Is any kind of diplomacy possible in this game? Can't we be friends with anyone?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mans posted:

Literally took all of one turn for the Gaetuli to attack lmao.

Is any kind of diplomacy possible in this game? Can't we be friends with anyone?

When you have a high enough relation, people don't declare war on you, but that generally involves being allied for a while.

Also, when you make peace, there's an enforced peace period.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

243 BC

The Garamantes take another worthless desert province.

The Gaetuli face the full might of our armies.

We scythe into their lands.

They can do nothing to slow down our troops.

Some people question the Hannoid expansionist plans.

But we continue to advance.

242 BC

We take another region.

But the smaller army is stopped in its tracks.

The Garamantes take an objective region, and I am forced to start raising an army to defeat them.

241 BC

How did these fools ever think they could challenge the might of Carthage?

They need to pause for a year to recover losses, but they have smashed half of the enemies empire in three years.

I ready for a counter attack on the Garamantes.

240 BC

The Garmantes flee, we retake the objective and send off another peace treaty at 20% chance.

239 BC

Another advance – but I need to hold up again. I have found their main army, and can see the old objectives of lands once held by Carthage decades ago.

This is not peace, this is an armistice until more pressing foes are dealt with. Plus I want to get money off you from trading.

238 BC

The Garamantes reject peace and launch a new offensive.

They can take the mostly empty desert, but struggle with the more populous regions – they can't win, but they are a constant nuance.

237 BC

Their offensive continues.

This turns into a series of bloody engagements.

But we finally prevail.

We advance once more – the mountains were low on supply, so I move to the lowlands to replenish the armies.

Carthage continues to grow.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The issue is these guys really have nobody to fight EXCEPT carthage and each other.

I am playing a game as sparta and enjoying a period of relative peace after achieving victory in my starting hellwar in Greece and conquering the region. Antigonos does not defend his territory in Greece as he is busy as poo poo fighting his own mega hellwar.

Also spartan phalanx trollstomps everything in Greece once you get enough of them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What happened here?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mans posted:

What happened here?

looks like heavy infantry vs poo poo-tier rabble with no cavalry

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

looks like heavy infantry vs poo poo-tier rabble with no cavalry

Basically numbers do not matter quite as much as you might think.

Maximum width in combat is 16 in sea zones and 12 on land with many land areas being less open than that.

How combat resolves is ranged fires off a round into the opposite side and does damage/tires them out for main combat. Then there is a round of fighting where each unit tries to 1v1 the guy in front of them. if you have more units than the other guy and they can't fill the spaces you flank and do a lot of extra damage. but combat resolves by effectively whoever loses the most units. So if you kill 1 unit and they kill none you still win etc.

I learned that hard as sparta when I let my big boys get flanked and they got munched on pretty hard by poo poo infantry and I had to restart from the beginning (and I bought a buttload of spartas poo poo tier infantry to be expendable anti-flanking devices.)

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 24, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Basically numbers do not matter quite as much as you might think.

Maximum width in combat is 16 in sea zones and 12 on land with many land areas being less open than that.

How combat resolves is ranged fires off a round into the opposite side and does damage/tires them out for main combat. Then there is a round of fighting where each unit tries to 1v1 the guy in front of them. if you have more units than the other guy and they can't fill the spaces you flank and do a lot of extra damage. but combat resolves by effectively whoever loses the most units. So if you kill 1 unit and they kill none you still win etc.

I learned that hard as sparta when I let my big boys get flanked and they got munched on pretty hard by poo poo infantry and I had to restart from the beginning (and I bought a buttload of spartas poo poo tier infantry to be expendable anti-flanking devices.)

Yeah, if you have better troops and a small frontage, you can win big - hence its sometimes better to go into Field of Glory 2 to get the extra space for your men to shine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seems like instead of rolling random terrain, you get the same map/restricted frontage each time you attack into a given province. Which can be a huge factor in this game. Not sure I like that; it sorta makes sense for siege battles, but for general fights, why would your army attempt to invade via the exact same terribly restricted mountain pass every year for five years in a row?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Leperflesh posted:

Seems like instead of rolling random terrain, you get the same map/restricted frontage each time you attack into a given province. Which can be a huge factor in this game. Not sure I like that; it sorta makes sense for siege battles, but for general fights, why would your army attempt to invade via the exact same terribly restricted mountain pass every year for five years in a row?

The frontage restriction is for the FoG:E battle system- it's there to make terrain actually matter and combat not about just doomstacking. When you export to fog2 the terrain is not very restrictive- honestly that kinda makes it easy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I find the terrain restrictions make things a lot more interesting. In narrow areas having a stack of archers or other ranged can be a significant bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Macedonia flexes its muscles.