Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

What was the flash cartoon about the rabbit or something and a Goth woman? I remember the rat had high pitched voice.
That was like edgelord Invader ZIM without any of the humor or weirdness.

And I think Goth girl got some kind of Amulet of Tits that would change her boob size later on? The gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Casey Finnigan posted:

Foamy the Squirrel, bro. The grandaddy of all those videos on youtube where people portray themselves as some kind of cartoon character and rant about unimportant crap.

Ah yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD_8cBqhW0

Man that's early 2000s, the jokes about Indian tech support. I read that most countries have moved tech support out of India because of the poor reaction by customers, which is probably partially racism. I remember working for HPshopping.com in the earth 2000s and I'd get "where are you located???" a lot from the Americans who'd call and I'd say Canada and they'd go off on a little rant that was fairly uncomfortable.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Another example of peak early 00's internet - animutations!

This is the most famous one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqO5lNS094M

But these were better IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJIpTIPnRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb5RlxV19b4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRwow9CQwA

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Ohhh man. That is just dog poo poo. Really bad

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

twistedmentat posted:

Man that's early 2000s, the jokes about Indian tech support. I read that most countries have moved tech support out of India because of the poor reaction by customers, which is probably partially racism. I remember working for HPshopping.com in the earth 2000s and I'd get "where are you located???" a lot from the Americans who'd call and I'd say Canada and they'd go off on a little rant that was fairly uncomfortable.

I dunno about India, but there's been a huge boom of tech support/customer service/sales call centers in my city. Since this is a border city, they are popular with the deported, plus Mexican wages are smaller than American ones.

When I worked at one, I was told by my supervisor to respond to those "where are you from you don't sound American reeeeee" by saying I was Latina/Mexican-American. When I answered that, ppl just assumed I was from California or Texas and the calls went easier.

Also, boy I remember hanging around in MegaMan forums around 2004-ish and sharing Newgrounds animations. At the time, before YouTube, Newgrounds was king.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnzq6MNfM5c

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Die Another Day was a noughties rear end movie. I associate the period with gaudy embossed silver metallic poo poo

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Jul 13, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Yea, I didn't remember it being racist, just being a lot of ranting about the kind of stuff people ranted about back in the early 2000s.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://joecartoon.com/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Ah yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD_8cBqhW0

For some people there's definitely racism involved but one of the real big problems was that they'd send tech support calls from people who only speak English to a call center on the other side of the planet staffed almost exclusively with people who barely/don't speak English reading from a script. From what I heard the pay was absolute balls (we're talking not even half of America's minimum wage) and the conditions utterly atrocious.

There were a lot of things wrong with "let's outsource literally all phone services to India." Now it's increasingly done by automated systems which is even worse.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah racism aside, it's more about wanting to talk to someone who understands English. It's still a problem today. I had some issues with my Comcast account. We only have one physical Comcast center in a 30 mile radius. I had an issue that I know the local office would have been able to answer, but if you call the local service center number, it just reroutes you to their standard automated phone system. I tried like hell but none of the foreign phone representatives knew enough English to understand my question and I had absolutely no way to contact the local office. In the end I had no choice but to drive 20 miles to the service center location.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

So glad to see that site's still up. That site was the entire reason I learned ActionScript.

Looks like its contemporary, https://www.killfrog.com hasn't enjoyed as much longevity, though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thermos posted:

Renting anime at blockbuster was like russian roulette. Were you going to get some awesome gore and titties, or boring crap with a terrible dub?

Usually, it was a mix of both.

The local video rental store near my house (which didn’t shut down til 2005) had a bunch of random anime on vhs in the 90s but obviously had no idea what it was cause it was mixed into the kids section. So I ended up renting a bunch that would have tons of gore or one I specifically remember that was filled with tits and the main character was obsessed with panties and cross dressing. My mind was so blown I rented that one like 10 times in a row when I was 7

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea the company i work for now has its tech support in India, but at least the people speak decent english and can do more than just follow a script. Friday I had to fix my bosses computer because it auto updated to windows 10 and that broke the printers, so I had to call them to fix the problem. Turn out it just needed to add the printer to the computer, but I can't do that because of the insane security on the computers at work.

Here's an early 2000s thing that is related, Halifax had one of the biggest RIM tech support call centers. A big selling point of Blackberrys was that the tech support was done in Canada by professionals, and they paid insanely well. LIke starting around 40k and you could easily end up making 50k or more. Everyone wanted to get in on it, me and many of my friends tried, but nothing. Kinda glad because Blackberry's were dead as soon as the Iphone came out, Androids just put a layer of concrete over the grave.

before i got an ipod touch, I had one of these

after I had a minidisk player. It still works to this day, but I won't use it because it has a super annoying proprietary audio format that you need specific software to use and that takes forever. Plus these days Its easier just to sub to google play music or spotify and listen to everything streaming. one nice feature is it has a really good radio receiver in it. My first apartment was in a basement and the radio reception sucked on my stereo so i'd plug that in to listen to the radio.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aesop Poprock posted:

The local video rental store near my house (which didn’t shut down til 2005) had a bunch of random anime on vhs in the 90s but obviously had no idea what it was cause it was mixed into the kids section. So I ended up renting a bunch that would have tons of gore or one I specifically remember that was filled with tits and the main character was obsessed with panties and cross dressing. My mind was so blown I rented that one like 10 times in a row when I was 7

One of mine growing up had a full run of the first season of Star Blazers VHS tapes :allears:.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is that a Corrosion of Conformity shirt in the middle?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

quote:

Here's an early 2000s thing that is related, Halifax had one of the biggest RIM tech support call centers. A big selling point of Blackberrys was that the tech support was done in Canada by professionals, and they paid insanely well. LIke starting around 40k and you could easily end up making 50k or more. Everyone wanted to get in on it, me and many of my friends tried, but nothing. Kinda glad because Blackberry's were dead as soon as the Iphone came out, Androids just put a layer of concrete over the grave.

A good RIM job ain't cheap :haw:

My girlfriend started a job with the government in Halifax two years ago and they were still issuing blackberries. They finally replaced it with an iPhone when hers got ran over by a car (it still worked)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Darthemed posted:

Is that a Corrosion of Conformity shirt in the middle?

Looks more like Cradle of Filth.

Thermos posted:

A good RIM job ain't cheap :haw:

My girlfriend started a job with the government in Halifax two years ago and they were still issuing blackberries. They finally replaced it with an iPhone when hers got ran over by a car (it still worked)

I haven't heard that joke since the early 2000s either.

And yea when I worked for Games Workshop in 2008-2009 they were issuing blackberrys to them, but they broke like crazy so there was a shipping box full of broken ones. My dad actually won one through McLeans before they were released to the public. He said it was okay.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I hung out with my cousin once and since he was supplying the weed and booze I couldn't exactly complain about the entertainment and we just watched this poo poo for hours. God it was bad. He also feels Dagon was a better lovecraft movie than in the mouth of madness

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-icy-hot-stuntaz

Icy hot stuntaz.

Bubb rubb:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bubb-rubb

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I graduated in 2001. That's me in the back. That loving hair, god.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So what was prom like in The Matrix?

I sympathize though. My wife has forbidden me from frosting my tips and I'm just so angry about it I'm About to Break.
P.s. sup fellow class of 01 grad :cool::respek::D

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

So what was prom like in The Matrix?

I sympathize though. My wife has forbidden me from frosting my tips and I'm just so angry about it I'm About to Break.
P.s. sup fellow class of 01 grad :cool::respek::D

Be nice. *AT BEST* we all look like extras in the Asylum Matrix rip-off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
To be fair, I'm just salty because I couldn't get a sweet chinese collar tux for my prom. :argh:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It actually came out in 99 or so, but Canadian goons of appropriate age might remember the cartoon Kevin Spencer. It was on on Sunday nights on the Comedy network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Spencer_(TV_series)

quote:

The show revolves around the everyday happenings of the Spencer family. Kevin himself is a 14-year-old, chain-smoking, alcoholic, cough syrup addicted, sociopathic juvenile delinquent. He lives with his parents, whom he often shows ambivalence towards, and is a student at a local high school, although he rarely attends school. It is demonstrated multiple times throughout the series that Kevin is mentally unstable, as he is prone to random outbursts of violence, even towards himself, shows signs of insanity, and has a complete disregard for life, including his own.

His parents, Anastasia (voiced by Thomasin Langlands) and Percy (voiced by Lawrence), are also alcoholic, cough syrup addicted chain-smokers. Both are crude, overweight, unattractive and extraordinarily stupid people who live off of welfare. Both parents neglect or otherwise use Kevin for their own selfish gains, and both show clear signs of sociopathic tendencies. Neither parent is faithful to the other, and Anastasia in particular is highly promiscuous. Their antics usually involve attempting to gain money or alcohol through illegal acts, which quite randomly succeed or fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0umo4VkQ3o <-----Youtube poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember that. It was very clearly trying to be South Park.

It was also on with Odd Job Jack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffEV6tz5Bc

Which when I think about it, was oddly prophetic with its gig economy framework.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Antioch posted:

Be nice. *AT BEST* we all look like extras in the Asylum Matrix rip-off.

As another 01 grad and having worked for the Asylum, the hair isn't that bad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I remember that. It was very clearly trying to be South Park.

It was also on with Odd Job Jack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffEV6tz5Bc

Which when I think about it, was oddly prophetic with its gig economy framework.

Southpark was inferior.

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008

Antioch posted:

I graduated in 2001. That's me in the back. That loving hair, god.

Please tell me what the other three guys do for a living these days.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Tony Snark posted:

I still have a stack of those stupid edgy Hot Topic shirts in storage somewhere, the "you laugh because I'm different - I laugh because you're all the same" and similar ones from multiple birthdays and christmas that I never wore.

I could probably make a quilt out of them and actually might now that I think about it.

I'm pretty sure I still have some Tripp pants in a storage bin at my mother-in-law's house somewhere.

I've actually been meaning to make a quilt or something out of my stupid nerdy ThinkGeek-style shirts for a while. I even have a serger machine.. maybe I should start a service for making quilts out of everyone's old embarrassing shirt collections.

FilthyImp posted:

To be fair, I'm just salty because I couldn't get a sweet chinese collar tux for my prom. :argh:

I totally wore a Chinese dress to my junior prom in '02. I was that kid.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pedricko posted:

Body doubles for Guy Fieri.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bees on Wheat posted:

I totally wore a Chinese dress to my junior prom in '02. I was that kid.
A chinese kung fu shirt (the kind with the white fold-back sleeves) was in my regular rotation since like junior year.

Senior year I levelled up and got the long coat version :kamina:

The less I say about my senior portrait the better. :goku:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Pedricko posted:

a valid question.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

From American Eagle Outfitters.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I hope we don't adopt low-rise pants again. When I was a 2000s teen, it was the only cut available in juniors fashion. You couldn't bend over or sit without your crack peeking, and every adult needed to make a snide comment about it. They were also difficult to wear--when the top of the pants sits at the widest part of the hips, they'll slide down more easily then higher rise pants regardless of a belt.

Yeah I'd like to super-size that please

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

golden bells posted:

You couldn't bend over or sit without your crack peeking
Clearly you didn't get your Jr. Miss thong to help with that.

Or know that your underwear straps needed to be above your pants at all times to remind people that you, a person, was wearing a thong.

That was a real odd fashion blip and I'm glad I was out of high school when that hit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I touched my first boob in the 2000s. That's about the only good thing the happened the entire decade.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Pedricko posted:

Left side is a high school teacher, Right side is a security guard, and the middle short guy I have no idea I haven't seen him since high school.

I'm a computer toucher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I think I can blame my first half of 2000s fashion sense as not knowing really what worked on me having only had left school in the early 2000s.

Definitely rocked the oversized button shirts open over tees for a while. And cargo pants/shorts.

At least I didn't rock geek fashion, the winner being a mate who had a silk Dragon Ball Z shirt. Paired with a bucket hat.

Around 2005 everything started having grunge prints or a big embroidered patch that looked like a printing mistake.
It became hard trying to find clothing not sporting graphics as some were a pain to iron as stuff could melt off.

The least offensive alternative wasn't much better:
Chunky striped buttoned shirts with layered stripes of varying thickness.
The stripes usually went vertical or sometimes had diagonal accents.

I do recall owning a few of these shockers, with one favourite being a button down shirt that was sky blue with vertical brown chunky stripes that had fleur de lices printed over.

Trying to think up other bad trends friends wore out.

Distressed bootcut jeans with a denim jacket was instantly garish. Rockabilly vibes.

The Matrix brought about long coats or bad knockoff sunnies.

Avril punk/emo. Wallet chains.
End poverty wristbands - collect all the causes!

Popped polo shirts with Von Dutch trucker caps.

Layered t-shirts and then fake layered jumpers.

The sparkly tracksuits and UGGs look. "Did you just get up?"