Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hey speaking of, what's with the video that plays on the paywall? Some little kid sticks his head in a window and screams Cleveland or something and it's weird as poo poo.

It is from The Boogey Man (1980) and the doomed child is saying "Boogey Man."

Until I had this explained to me, I thought he was saying "freedom" or something like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow so I found that clip on Youtube. It is very nws

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

It is from The Boogey Man (1980) and the doomed child is saying "Boogey Man."

Until I had this explained to me, I thought he was saying "freedom" or something like it.

poo poo I thought he was saying "Pokemon!"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does this count as a fan meltdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIn4L7hUmUI&t=26s

Guy destroys room over STEPMANIA RAGE

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Violet_Sky posted:

Does this count as a fan meltdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIn4L7hUmUI&t=26s

Guy destroys room over STEPMANIA RAGE

I've been seeing this one for years, and my question is...why? Isn't Stepmania a DDR-type game? Isn't it supposed to be played by dancing on a mat or something? What the gently caress is the point doing it with your fingers like that?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've been seeing this one for years, and my question is...why? Isn't Stepmania a DDR-type game? Isn't it supposed to be played by dancing on a mat or something? What the gently caress is the point doing it with your fingers like that?

High score COME ON man!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

I've heard people who play MOBAs use Osu! and Stepmania to practice their reaction time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some of the charts I've seen wouldn't work with that, if only because you only have two feet.

Like, the one in the video would require some nimble legs. The combo counter goes up a hundred in a few seconds.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Not exactly a "meltdown" but a loooot of Smash Bros. fans got upset recently when a new DLC fighter was announced and it was another Fire Emblem character.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Olive Branch posted:

Not exactly a "meltdown" but a loooot of Smash Bros. fans got upset recently when a new DLC fighter was announced and it was another Fire Emblem character.

I don't understand why Smash Bros. makes people so angry, it's like a universal constant that someone, somewhere is pissed off about it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's because people are always hoping Pet Character, Crossover Dream Character, or Obscure Throwback Character get tossed in.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

It's because people are always hoping Pet Character, Crossover Dream Character, or Obscure Throwback Character get tossed in.

This, plus the endless "leaks" that are always, always wrong.

Someone makes up a rumor that Doom Guy/Dante/a Minecraft block will be in Smash, people believe it, then Nintendo reveals Byleth and people get mad because we were PROMISED that other character and Nintendo lied! It's an ugly circle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nostradingus posted:

This, plus the endless "leaks" that are always, always wrong.

Someone makes up a rumor that Doom Guy/Dante/a Minecraft block will be in Smash, people believe it, then Nintendo reveals Byleth and people get mad because we were PROMISED that other character and Nintendo lied! It's an ugly circle.

This is an almost constant with nintendo fans in general. A huge chunk of the pokemon sword and shield perpetual rage was that people were ~promised~ their dream game of an open world breath of the wild style game with all like one thousand pokemon in it!

Because one guy on reddit did some mockup screenshots of "Wouldn't this be cool, guys?" and everyone went insane and decided gamefreak owed it to them, and were devastated that gamefreak just released yet another pokemon game, like every other pokemon game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Olive Branch posted:

It should be an advance wars character is the only valid reason

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Grizzwold posted:

The DLC in question was a silly alt-history scenario for a mapgame involving the Aztecs invading medieval Europe. Is this a real meltdown or some elaborate satire? I can't tell the difference anymore so it goes here.

Late to the thread, but I’m resurrecting it because the quoted meltdown in this post reminded me of the goon mourning over Aerith’s death in FF (pretty sure that’s the character/game). Their post used to pop up occasionally, mostly in the goon quotes threads. Anyone else remember it?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wasnt mourning: he was the rare online person that was genuinely unspoiled on Aeriths death.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

This is an almost constant with nintendo fans in general. A huge chunk of the pokemon sword and shield perpetual rage was that people were ~promised~ their dream game of an open world breath of the wild style game with all like one thousand pokemon in it!

Because one guy on reddit did some mockup screenshots of "Wouldn't this be cool, guys?" and everyone went insane and decided gamefreak owed it to them, and were devastated that gamefreak just released yet another pokemon game, like every other pokemon game.

I'll never understand people that get angry about stuff like a Pokemon game turning out to be...a Pokemon game. It's like hey they have this successful formula that people seem to be enjoying, why gently caress with it? Personally it isn't my thing like at all but if people are enjoying it then whatever, let people enjoy things and all that but...well we all know what Pokemon games are at this point. Of course the next Pokemon game is going to be a Pokemon game. The gently caress else would it be?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The more people get mad at video games the greater future game developers the world creates.

Keep raging.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Unless you're Bioware, in which case the white hot flames of rage cause you to shrink and shrivel like the arc of the covenant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

Unless you're Bioware, in which case the white hot flames of rage cause you to shrink and shrivel like the arc of the covenant.

That’s just “being owned by EA”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

RIP Maxis, Bullfrog, and Westwood.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Maxwell Lord posted:

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and turn into Motive Studios.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

GolfHole posted:

The more people get mad at video games the greater future game developers the world creates.

Keep raging.

There are a lot of people still kicking and screaming about how Insomniac basically told people to gently caress off after getting absolutely furious over a puddle.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I recommend taking a look at the Baldur‘s Gate subreddit rn, there was a gameplay reveal yesterday where it turned out that it is in fact not exactly the same as BG2 and the grogs are not taking it well

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nuebot posted:

There are a lot of people still kicking and screaming about how Insomniac basically told people to gently caress off after getting absolutely furious over a puddle.

What?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some adult children got very upset about a "graphical downgrade" for spider man ps4, literally the entirety of which was removing some reflective puddles of water from the ground. They didn't even totally remove the puddles, just made them slightly smaller because they were enormous.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

System Metternich posted:

I recommend taking a look at the Baldur‘s Gate subreddit rn, there was a gameplay reveal yesterday where it turned out that it is in fact not exactly the same as BG2 and the grogs are not taking it well

You can see some of that in our own SA thread about the game.

CJacobs posted:

Some adult children got very upset about a "graphical downgrade" for spider man ps4, literally the entirety of which was removing some reflective puddles of water from the ground. They didn't even totally remove the puddles, just made them slightly smaller because they were enormous.

I think a number of the puddles weren't even changed in size or shape or graphical detail, they were just...moved.

"A detail changed between demo build and final release? DOWNGRADE!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

They complained about it all over the internet. The devs responded saying "There wasn't a downgrade." And explaining why things looked different for X and Y reasons and the gamers argued back that no, things looked different!

By now anyone still arguing about it insists that the insomniac devs took to tweeting insults at the playerbase but I straight up can not find any evidence about that, which is weird. Because that would probably be really easy to find.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

They complained about it all over the internet. The devs responded saying "There wasn't a downgrade." And explaining why things looked different for X and Y reasons and the gamers argued back that no, things looked different!

By now anyone still arguing about it insists that the insomniac devs took to tweeting insults at the playerbase but I straight up can not find any evidence about that, which is weird. Because that would probably be really easy to find.

https://twitter.com/GilFromUI/status/1053359453708271616?s=20

All I could find from a cursory search is this tweet from someone who works at Insomniac which made news headlines as "Insomniac fires back regarding puddlegate", and it's hardly an insult. I'm sure the people whining about graphical downgrades took it as one though.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Feb 28, 2020

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

marshmallow creep posted:

You can see some of that in our own SA thread about the game.

I think a number of the puddles weren't even changed in size or shape or graphical detail, they were just...moved.

"A detail changed between demo build and final release? DOWNGRADE!"

I think the Watch_Dogs downgrade broke some people, and now they think there are downgrade conspiracies everywhere. Its probably GG related somehow.

For context, W_D did actually get a graphical downgrade from the demo, it was apparently intentionally done so the PC version wouldn't look better than the PS3/Xbox360 version. People found out you could go manually edit a settings file on PC and suddenly have way better graphics, pretty much regardless of your hardware.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Hashtag yes all gamers

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

RPGCodex posted:

Let me outline the issue here. You want to play the D&D you know and love from the late 90s and early 2000s, perhaps from even further back.

This D&D is gone. You will never get that D&D back in computer form. Even Kingmaker is not that thing, regardless of how much you may love it because of its fiddly bits and combat-heavy design.

The new D&D is indeed Critical Role. It's flashy, colorful and over the top, it's flamboyant. It's not dark, it's not gritty, it's not flavorful, it's not finely crafted or paid much attention to. It's a heavily branded, heavily corporate product that is intended to sell to as many living souls as possible. Back in the 80s TSR knew it was selling to nerds, they never made an effort to present the game in a way that would appeal to everyone.

At the moment, WotC, faggots like Critical Role and even Matt Colville who would seem amicable at first glance, and Larian are pushing for maximum exposure and maximum sales to everyone. Tabletop D&D has been extremely vocal about how it wants to make the game enjoyable for everyone, whether you're 8 or 80, a boy, a girl, a tranny or a socially disabled furry. As long as you have a wallet and can pay money, they want you to like the game.

Which is exactly why Baldur's Gate 3 is what it is - an overly colorful, bland, flavorless, visually overtweaked game of dandies wearing Renaissance-era doublets and retarded hairdos, instead of actual metal armor and dusty, tattered adventurer's clothing. The visual style of the game is 100% the style you see in 50-dollar retarded art commissions on D&D 5E's reddit where sexually confused young adults ask deviantart to draw their party of other equally confused companions.

This is what Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be and you will never get the D&D of your memories and dreams, ever again.

Trying and failing to understand the mindset that leads to somebody seeing this as a bad thing

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

They....they know the older stuff still exists, right? Like, you can still play it. It's still there. You want to play 2E or whatever, you can. No one's stopping you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Trying and failing to understand the mindset that leads to somebody seeing this as a bad thing

"My hobby must be as offputting as possible because it makes me question my worth to society when I see other people - with friends and social lives and Instagrams - playing this game that I have felt is the true reason I am ostracized in my life."

e:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

They....they know the older stuff still exists, right? Like, you can still play it. It's still there. You want to play 2E or whatever, you can. No one's stopping you.

lol I'm guessing this stellar fellow would actually not enjoy going back to Baldur's Gate 2 now that they added a nonbinary character.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like how they act like girls and ladies, people of all ages, and LGBT folks haven't been playing tabletop games until now. I know the pasty nerd stereotype existed, but every tabletop group I've ever been in has had a mix of people. It's never dawned on these tools that it's likely just no one else wanted to play with them specifically.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"I am good, therefore anyone who is different than me is bad. Bad people don't deserve to have fun. If I notice a game might be fun for them, then it will be less fun for me, because imagining a hypothetical bad person, such as a woman or a child or a queer person, having fun will make me angry and ruin my enjoyment of the game."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's the adult turbo nerd version of cooties.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Their issue seems to be that video games based on D&D are now going to be based on the modern, "bad" version. And while they could still play actual D&D any way they want, that would require them to have friends. So they want video games made specifically for them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I like how they act like girls and ladies, people of all ages, and LGBT folks haven't been playing tabletop games until now. I know the pasty nerd stereotype existed, but every tabletop group I've ever been in has had a mix of people. It's never dawned on these tools that it's likely just no one else wanted to play with them specifically.

Chaosium, makers of Call of Cthulhu, were drat near kept afloat by the unplanned but phenomenal popularity of its flagship RPG among older Japanese women. That market segment single-handedly saved them when the company was dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
A PC port of one of the more notable PS4 exclusives got announced, a gamer got angry and broke their stuff.
https://twitter.com/THEAP99/status/1237401001906364416

https://twitter.com/THEAP99/status/1237432166193278976
https://twitter.com/THEAP99/status/1237506271852539907