Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017
purity, maybe with a side of supremacy, because I'd like to see some hybrid units. Purity as an in-game ideology always seems to get a bad rep, even though to me, it always seemed like the most morally virtuous reaction to the Great Mistake: you try to learn from your broken home, but also make amends by creating a new one for everyone left behind.
Like cythereal said, purity is a lot more akin to Star Trek than it is to space-fascism.

persopolis fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ManxomeBromide posted:

That said, now I want a "sequel" that is a global-scale RTS set on Earth after multiple factions across the local cluster achieve Supremacy and Purity victories and are battling with each other over the fate of the Terran Remnant.

That's dominions isn't it

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Supremacy has already been done and is boring. I´d rather see what a primarily Purity playthrough would bring to the table.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

To anyone who may be trying to play the game on a Windows 10 machine: It failed to load repeatedly when I was running it straight from Steam, but setting it to Windows 7 compatibility mode and running it as an administrator seems to have resolved it.

This LP is so good even a few updates in that it's making me break it out again. :shobon:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Supremacy-Harmony. What could possibly go wrong?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Harmony seems the most optimistic, but almost every single game of Alpha Centauri I played I got the "merge with the planet" ending, so I'm going to vote Purity.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
Purity, I do remember reading the Supremacy playthrough.

Also I agree that the writing in Beyond Earth could have been better. It has so much potential, but it looks like the writers didn't think enough things through before writing the events or adding the tech quotes. It's a good game, but could have been much better with more details and more thought. I hope that we can get more mods to expand the story (in a optimistic way, because I'm sick of super-pessimist storylines) and to get more detail in the interactions with the planet's environment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anticheese posted:

To anyone who may be trying to play the game on a Windows 10 machine: It failed to load repeatedly when I was running it straight from Steam, but setting it to Windows 7 compatibility mode and running it as an administrator seems to have resolved it.

I'm playing on Windows 10 and haven't had any trouble running it straight from Steam.

I was not expecting this much interest in the affinity vote, so I'm calling voting closes at 6:00 PM EST tonight!

Current voting:

Primary Affinity

Supremacy: 25
Harmony: 7
Purity: 12

Secondary Affinity

Supremacy: 8
Harmony: 19
Purity: 17

If it's still super close when voting ends, I will be going for Supremacy-Harmony regardless because it's been by far the most common specifically requested ideology. I wasn't sure how to handle voting for affinities due to the hybrid system vs pure affinities, but if there's interest when this LP is done I could do another playthrough or two to show off different options.

Akratic Method posted:

Hopefully Cythereal posts some of the weirder stuff if we don't go down that route.

Her name is Betty, and she's my vat-grown cyborg flying whale aircraft carrier battleship friend.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wow, that is impressivly disturbing. I can kind of see why they chose not to use it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randalor posted:

Wow, that is impressivly disturbing. I can kind of see why they chose not to use it.

What makes you think they chose not to use it?

Unlocks with Biometallurgy, requires 5 Supremacy and 5 Harmony to build the basic model. From there, upgrades into your choice of the Elder Aquilon at 10S/10H, the Evolved Aquilon at 6S/14H, or the Prime Aquilon at 14S/6H.

It's Supremacy-Harmony's 'ultimate' unit. If we do go Supremacy-Harmony, we are definitely going to unlock that thing. :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
if i'm in time to vote: Purity/Purity

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Purity, for having the best victory condition

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

What makes you think they chose not to use it?

Unlocks with Biometallurgy, requires 5 Supremacy and 5 Harmony to build the basic model. From there, upgrades into your choice of the Elder Aquilon at 10S/10H, the Evolved Aquilon at 6S/14H, or the Prime Aquilon at 14S/6H.

It's Supremacy-Harmony's 'ultimate' unit. If we do go Supremacy-Harmony, we are definitely going to unlock that thing. :v:

Huh. I never went Supremacy/Harmony before, and I don't think I've seen the AI do it either, so when you posted concept art, I just assume it was something thar had been cut.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Put me down for

Supremacy-Harmony

I'm always in favour of the weirdest option for these things.

Also it totally looks like we're gonna be the bad guys in Contra. Which is an aesthetic I loving adore.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 18, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

what in the goddamn

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Purity-Supremacy

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Supremacy/Harmony. Replace our weak human flesh with something greater.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

ManxomeBromide posted:

That said, now I want a "sequel" that is a global-scale RTS set on Earth after multiple factions across the local cluster achieve Supremacy and Purity victories and are battling with each other over the fate of the Terran Remnant.

There is a sequel to Beyond Earth that is various post-earth factions fighting over local space called Starships. It’s... not very good.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you want a goofy mix of sci fi 4x and turn based tactical combat, Planetfall is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6X27sPdTcs

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Harmony - Harmony

Someone needs to be the Hippie of this LP-chat! :colbert:

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Servetus posted:

I feel that it should be pointed out that this means Send Armies through to conquer Earth and forcibly upload the inhabitants into robot bodies

The supremacy victory always wrong to me on a thematic level. As the OP mentioned, Supremacy is thematically the most forward looking of the affinities, about moving forward into the perfect machine future. And while you could make logical arguments for why they would go back to save earth, it's not the ultimate triumph of the philosophy in the way the other affinity victories are. While a purity faction would probably have every history course talking about the time when they rescued everyone from a dying planet, a supremacy faction feels like it would leave that as less important than some revolutionary technological breakthroughs.

Purity because I'd like to see how the op's interpretation of the philosophy comes off.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Hopping in on the Supremacy / Harmony train

Cythereal posted:

I could do another playthrough or two to show off different options.

Or three. I'm a sucker for 4X SSLPs

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think its because, to avoid spoilers as much as possible, every affinity ending is concerned with the future of the human race as a whole.

E: regarding the supremacy ending

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Voting is over!

Primary Affinity

Supremacy: 27
Harmony: 8
Purity: 16

Secondary Affinity

Supremacy: 9
Harmony: 22
Purity: 20

We have a clear winner!

There's a strong enough interest in Purity, though, that I'll definitely consider doing a second playthrough after Al Falah as a Purity civilization.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 18, 2019

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I like the Purity victory condition, and it's the only special victory I've managed to actually complete. It's worth showing off. :shobon:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Purity got as many votes as Supremacy but they were incorrectly allocated :negative:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Spark

State of Al Falah, Turn 28

Ard

Farah

Officials in Ard were alarmed when Chungsu elected to broadcast their discovery unencrypted across the entire planet. They were more alarmed when grainy satellite images revealed a hydracoral mass the size of a mountain. A large mountain.

Our first planetary marvel! Planetary marvels are big planet-spanning quests available to every faction that are broadcast to every faction when the root giant thingy is discovered, and they're designed to take most of the game to complete. Rising Tide made them take even longer, and we may never complete this quest. We have yet to find a hydracoral brain, so nothing we can do about this quest right now in any event.

To the south, Outrider discovered what was by now becoming a sadly familiar sight: a human settlement with few signs of activity. As before, the explorers are ordered to investigate.

A third derelict settlement is out of the ordinary. Oh well, both results are good for us at this point in the game.

The weary Nomad expedition finally returned to Ard for much-needed rest and repairs. To the east, pioneers finally began work on a harvesting station for Farah's nearby coral reef.

Closer to home, two private ventures both submitted proposals to establish independent operations from Al Falah, but near settled territory: the Stet Mining Consortium, and a private rest resort known as Lalibela.

After some debate, the Governing Council decided that Stet Mining would offer more immediate benefits to Al Falah, and granted them the charter. Lalibela subsequently withdrew their proposal.

Completely slipped my mind to take a screenshot of Stet Mining, but they're near the big island to the south not far from where I'm planning to settle my third city.

This quest always fires around 30-35 turns into the game, and offers a choice of two random stations. Stations are Beyond Earth's version of the city-states in the last couple of main line Civilization games, minor powers that the main factions can trade with or conquer. Only where city-states have some personality and history, stations just have a name and a bonus. Lalibela's not a terrible bonus, but +4 production? Yes, please! Each faction can only establish one trade route with a given station at a time, so I earmark Ard's first trade route for Stet Mining.

Of note, stations that no one trades with will wither and die after about twenty turns. You do have some breathing room between this quest firing and the spawned station disappearing.

Nomad and Pioneer 1 both enjoy R&R after completing their tasks, before they head back out. Ard finishes the new central trade depot, and promptly begins fitting out a trade convoy.

Our fruit plantation finishes, so I let our worker take a breather and heal back up to full. Ard's trade depot finishes this turn, letting the city build trade units. I do so immediately. In base Beyond Earth, trade routes were divided between land and sea, and required separate units to do so. Rising Tide said nuts to that and trade routes are now amphibious.

Arshia Kishk's comment that phishing schemes remain alive and well on this new world provoked a rare bout of laughter in the Governing Council's chambers.

Mysterious! We'll probably ignore this, as I don't intend to do much if any offensive spying.

And with the completion of the trade convoy, we can see available destinations: our own city of Farah and Stet Mining. If we'd discovered a clear route to another faction's cities, they'd be on here, and if we had any outposts growing into cities we could establish a trade route to double their speed of growing into a city.

The trade convoy departed for Stet Mining with little fanfare while Arshia Kishk announced the proper founding of the Al Falah Defense Force with the construction of a flotilla of light warships.

In part, I'm doing this purely as a preemptive precaution against our still-undiscovered eastern neighbor. Ard's getting enough production rolling that it can build a patrol boat pretty fast. Patrol boats are a new addition in Rising Tide, cheap melee ships that represent a general range of patrol boats, hydrofoils, and other small vessels that have been armed for combat.

Another wave of refugees joins the settlement at Ard. The Netherlands on Earth had formally been a member of the North Sea Alliance, but the Low Countries had been so devastated by flooding and climate change that they had enjoyed little political power or representation in the Alliance. They had resolved to launch their own Seeding vessel, and left in the first wave of colony ships. The Dutch ship, the Reiziger, had been enjoyed an experimental ultra-lightweight skeletal construction that drastically reduced the ship's mass and enabled greater speeds. The price of this ingenuity only became evident when the Dutch made planetfall: the Reiziger broke in half on reentry. Most of the habitation ring crashed relatively intact, and the Dutch survivors huddled around the wreckage until Outrider found them. New Holland joined Plymouth on the steadily growing outskirts of Ard.

More population for Ard is always good.

In response to the Dutch crisis, now an entirely too familiar one for Al Falah, the Civic Administration refitted all explorer expeditions with significantly more supplies and the vehicles to carry them.

Pathfinders is a very useful virtue. Now our explorers don't have to return home between every expedition.

Also happening this turn, it's time to finally visit this screen. The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed a little blue icon with a number on the top of the screen next to all our resources. Here we can see Arshia Kishk in her default appearance - she'll change at certain affinity levels, and from here we can see our current affinity levels and bonuses. That's now why we're here now, though. That blue resource, which you can see at the bottom of this screen, is a new one for Rising Tide: diplomatic capital. Endless Legend fans will recognize this, and now that we've accumulated 115 capital, we can do something with it.

Personality traits are a new system in Rising Tide that give us more options to customize and improve our faction. Our sponsor provides one trait we cannot change or replace. For Al Falah, this is Asabiyyah. With their tendency to be clannish and self-reliant, the Al Falah are adept at making do with their own resources. The other personality traits we can acquire are divided into three categories, and we can select one trait from each category.

Every personality trait also enables an Agreement or two. These are special diplomatic arrangements colonies can make with each other, spending both a set initial price of diplomatic capital and a certain amount every turn as upkeep to gain a particular bonus - and the host country for the Agreement gains that capital for their own use. We ourselves can never make use of our own Agreements, but other colonies can approach us about establishing a Commercial Lobby or Strategic Supply Network agreement. The host colony for the Agreement has to say yes, and the effects of Agreements increase or decrease based on the state of relations between the colonies.

I go for a Domestic trait first.

If one thing had become clear to Arshia, it was this: labor and industry would be the forces that decided Al Falah's fate. Human hands, and the machines they built, were to be the cornerstone of Al Falah's efforts.

Industrialist is as it says, improving the production output of every city by 8%. If the thread had selected Purity as our dominant affinity, I would have selected Humanitarian. Harmony would have had Arshia pick Innovative.

Industrialist comes with one of the least useful agreements. Rising Tide made magrails (railroads for Civ fans) a Purity tech, and on this map neither roads nor magrails are likely to appear much. Can't build roads in the water (I miss you, Call to Power).

Ard and Farah both continued to develop. The punishing climate of Al-Jalidia's polar latitudes made only the most winter-hardened crops viable for farming, but Al Falah's mission planners had foreseen this possibility. Large expanses of rye and carrots, already winter-hardy before Earth genetic engineers improved them to be even more resilient against the cold, were planted in the river-warmed valley. Near Farah, pioneers finished the coral reef barges and moved on to begin harvest operations for the nearby algae.

Arshia's proposal that the surplus goods from Ard's nascent trade network be routed back into the city's industrial sector met with approval by most of the Governing Council and the institution of similar regulations for the future.

I'd have picked this even if I didn't go Industrialist. Trade depots now produce +2 production. The alternative would make trade depots also produce +1 energy.

Returning to Roanoke Island, Nomad began to investigate the half-submerged Progenitor relics off the island's northern coast.

In base Beyond Earth, expedition sites can only be found on land. In Rising Tide, they can now be found in the water and explorers can conduct expeditions at sea.

Al Falah's xenoecologists and xenobiologists were a long way from truly understanding Al-Jalidia, but they had identified the most important pieces of the puzzle. Miasma fields could be permanently dissipated with some effort by pioneer units, and sonic frequencies were found that native lifeforms found deeply unpleasant and would stay away from. Agricultural and nutrition scientists also put together a comprehensive image of what trace elements humans required but were not to be found in native food sources, and what trace elements were found in far too great an abundance for human health. In particular, potassium appeared to be remarkably scarce in Al-Jalidia's ecosystem, and plans were drawn up for specialized greenhouse facilities dedicated to cultivating tomato and citrus plants to correct this dietary deficiency.

Vivariums and ultrasonic fences on the left and middle, and both will be plenty useful. Clearing miasma honestly might not, though. We'll be going partially Harmony, so if we can put up with the miasma as a nuisance eventually we'll make it an advantage for us.

On Earth, genetic engineering and editing of lower life forms had become an important industry in the last few decades before the Seeding. Al Falah survived in large part thanks to heavily modified crop species brought from Earth, and the Governing Council decided that establishing this capability on Al-Jalidia would be an important step for Al Falah's efforts to settle this world.

Genetics will get us pharmalabs and cytonurseries, both useful early game structures.

The First Squadron of the Al Falah Defense Force left Ard's harbor with great fanfare. Coming up on the eight month anniversary of Al Falah's landing, Arshia Kishk announced a new project to celebrate Al Falah's journey: the Golden Shah's command center and navigation room, among the few pieces of the ship not colonized for the new settlement, would be enshrined as a permanent memorial in the center of the city.

The Old Earth Relic is the first culture building in the game, and I've been able to put off building it for so long because of our Artist colonists. You've seen how much mileage I've gotten out of playing the culture game, so if you don't start with Artists I highly recommend building this as soon as you can.

Outrider's latest discovery provoked first disbelief in Ard, then profanity. An aquatic alien that could be tracked on radar was not something anyone in Al Falah had ever expected to see, and most had dismissed the claims by American refugees of such titanic creatures, with tentacles strong enough to smash through titanium alloy ship hulls, as mere legend. The kraken, it appeared, was no myth.

Our patrol boat takes station on the xenomass tile, the other reason I built these boats early. On land, any xenomass, firaxite, or floatstone deposit with miasma on the same tile can spawn an alien nest. In the water, no miasma is required. Stationing a unit on such a tile, or improving the tile, will stop nests from spawning. It will still be some time before we can harvest xenomass, so as a precaution I station the patrol boats here to keep a nest from spawning.

The Golden Shah Memorial opened in Ard to public acclaim. Come what may, the people of Al Falah would never forget their journey here. For the American and Dutch refugees, the memorial evoked different but just as bittersweet memories. To the stunned surprise of the public, the opening hall to the museum included memorials to both the Conestoga and the Reiziger. Rumors began to circulate that these memorials were added at the insistence of Arshia Kishk herself, something the governor neither admitted nor denied. Meanwhile, volunteers began to gather for a new colony expedition, rather more organized that the slapdash affair that had settled Farah.

Another section of the Reiziger was discovered by Outrider, and a settlement had grown up around this section of the wreckage as well. Outrider duly moved to search for survivors.

Yes, another one.

In Farah, our worker finished the algae work barge and I decide I want to exploit the nearby petroleum deposit. But sea cities work differently from land cities: they don't natively expand their borders. Instead, we have to manually buy tiles with energy. This can get very expensive if you're settling a lot of sea cities, so be aware of that.

Al Falah's ancestors had made much of their wealth and political power prior to the Mistake from their petroleum deposits, and so the construction of Al-Jalidia's first oil rig was something of a reenactment of those bygone days. Local petroleum wasn't quite the same as Earth's black gold, and it certainly wouldn't dominate Al-Jalidia's economy or industry the way oil had Earth's, but petroleum promised to be an important resource all the same.

Meanwhile, the fruits of Nomad's expedition to the alien site were only slowly released to the public. A vision of impossible things, of wonders so far beyond human capabilities as to seem magical. But not magical at all, they realized. Arthur C. Clarke came to mind: any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Al Falah's technology was not sufficiently advanced. Yet.

What ensued in the wake of Nomad's discovery was not a religious revival or cultural revolution. Historians would later describe it as a moment of introspection among the people of Al Falah - generation ship descendants of Earth's Arab world and American and Dutch refugees alike - as they considered their place in the universe. How had they come to be here, and where were they going? In the face of the impossible reality of the Progenitors, could human ingenuity ever understand what those explorers had truly seen?

Yes, Al Falah decided. Technology had let them escape Earth, even if there had been no end of compromises and disasters. All of them had made sacrifices to get here, and they would undoubtedly make more. But, they decided without any official declaration to that effect, one day they would return to the stars. One day they would be equal to the mysterious beings who had left relics across the stars. That day would not be soon, but the Al Falah were a patient people.

Our first affinity level comes earlier than expected! The thread voted, and I obey.

Improving our affinity means improving our units. For our first affinity level, this means upgrading our patrol boats and the basic soldier unit we haven't built any of yet.

Here we see the humble soldier unit as she currently stands.

Though no infantry forces had yet been deployed by the Defense Force, Central Command nevertheless decided to embrace the newfound spirit of innovation and optimism by improving the kit of their proposed infantry divisions. The new armored suits were paradoxically much lighter and easier to wear than the bulky space suits of old, and thus could carry more equipment. After some back-and-forth debating between improved medical kits and carrying heavier weapons, the Central Command settled on the offensive option.

And here is the marine, the tier 2 upgrade of the soldier. We have two choices for a permanent bonus to give our troopers. +5 HP heal per turn is a nice perk, but with 100 HP on a unit, it's never going to matter except in a tiny pinch. +15% combat strength on the attack, however, is nothing to sneeze at.

Likewise our patrol boat.

When designing the new frigates, Central Command found itself with a choice regarding combat doctrine: whether to train and equip primarily for engagements against close-range foes, or prepare to rush down capital ships and submarines. Given that no alien had been observed to date with ranged attacks, the close range proposal was accepted to provide versatility against both human and alien foes.

Both of these are fine, I find the choice fairly arbitrary.

In Beyond Earth, all units upgrade instantaneously and for free no matter where they are in the world. This can sometimes lead to amusing scenarios where one side's forces in a battle suddenly upgrade into new versions between turns.

The launch of the new colony expedition was met with great enthusiasm by the people of Al Falah. Generation ship descendants were joined by some of the American and Dutch refugees for the expedition, hoping to settle a new home to the south in relatively warmer climes. Ard's own pioneer unit leaves with the colonists, and the city begins training another group.

This quest is in your log from the beginning of the game, and wants you to research Pioneering, build a colonist, and go settle a new city. All, naturally, things you should be doing anyway.

Nomad reported yet another derelict human settlement, this one mainly a series of platforms on the water. Roanoke survivors inform the Civil Administration that this is likely a different group from the Conestoga: not long after the crash, many of the Americans had cobbled together a marginally seaworthy vessel and set sail south, hoping to find a more temperate climate than the bitter cold of Roanoke.

Up until I found a third derelict settlement this update, I had planned for each of these new settlements to be another failed Seeding as I think it's too early in the game to fluff these as failed stations. But five derelict settlements already? Al-Jalidia is cursed.

With the thriving trade route between Ard and Stet Mining being based on exchange of goods rather than a fiat currency, the Civil Administration of Al Falah formalizes the arrangement as a new trade policy.

Will help us make more money when we start trading with other colonies, but useless right now. It's a prerequisite to something that will be very useful.

An email appears in Arshia Kishk's inbox one morning, signed simply Han-Jae Moon. Ard IT is promptly dispatched to figure out how Chungsu got access to the city's network, but the message seemed oddly complimentary.

Our first space tweet! This is a new feature of Rising Tide, AI leaders will regularly chime in with their thoughts - positive or negative - about how we're doing. In this case, Chungsu likes us a little bit more because they approve of our rate of culture gain. This also tells us that Moon has selected his first personality trait, and specifically that he took Refined as a domestic personality trait. He's boosting his own culture rate, and so he's judging us based on our own culture rate.

Ard's new pioneers immediately set to work establishing a formal harvesting station for the algae to the city's south, likely to be a useful base for biofuel. Arshia's attention turns towards the construction of a proper, fully equipped research facility that would hopefully be enough to determine the source of the strange malady that plagued not only the Al-Jalidia-born children of the Arab colonists, but the children of the Americans and Dutch as well. One of those so afflicted being Arshia's own daughter, Nur.

Trivia: Arshia does have a daughter in the fluff, but what's her name? She's named in three different places, two in-game and one out of game promotional fluff bit, and she has a different name in every single one. I picked one.

Editing the human genome was still beyond Al Falah's capabilities, but the science and agriculture divisions confirmed they could begin modification of simpler organisms and begin proper medical and pharmaceutical research. Al Falah was still catching up to what their ancestors had been capable of, but they were getting there.

Cytonurseries grant +1 health and +1 science, and have a useful quest associated with them, so I like getting them early. Pharmalabs grant +2 health base, and we'll be building them as well.

The next step forward for Al Falah was more logistical in nature than scientific, though finding local substitutes for Earth building materials would be a challenge, if not a great one. Another vital step in establishing the colony's baseline infrastructure.

If you don't take a tectonic scanner on your ship, you want Engineering early as it lets you see and exploit titanium. We have titanium around both Ard and Farah but haven't expanded towards mining them yet. Engineering also grants the first units in the tank line, an early energy-generating structure, and a structure to improve land unit production speed. Warmongers, enjoy.

The colonial expedition makes landfall.

The Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi Research Center immediately set to work addressing the so-called Subset Curse affecting the children born on Al-Jalidia. The results were as quick as they were baffling: mirror-touch synesthesia was present in almost fifty-five percent of first generation Jalidians. Though controversial among the people of Al Falah, Arshia Kishk's passionate plea, televised throughout the colony, that there was nothing wrong with their children - they were adapting to this world as Al Falah must adapt - persuaded the Governing Council to begin instituting new regulations for the benefit of the new generation with this gift.

The thread voted for Supremacy-Harmony, so away we go!

The next step is to build a pharmalab, which we'll get to before long.

While that debate went on, the Civil Administration authorized construction of a large cytonursery facility, a special genetic research and modification center for the purpose of modifying plants and other simple organisms for the colony's benefit, with a particular eye towards adapting food crops to Al-Jalidia's frigid climate.

In Farah, after completing the recycling center city authorities began constructing a sonic fence around the city's perimeter. Though harmless to humans, research indicated that these precisely modulated sonic waves would repel but not harm the wildlife that was proving such a nuisance to the city's development.

Tragic news from Nomad: no survivors. The bodies of the dead are brought back to Ard for proper burial in Plymouth.

Nomad also discovered what could only be an alien nest: a sprawling warren and biological construct the size of a small city. The Defense Force advises Nomad to give the nest a wide berth.

Aliens have a chance of growing agitated if you have units within two tiles of a nest. It's especially likely on frigid biome worlds - every biome has a special planetary effect, and on frigid worlds some aliens have reduced movement and get more angry faster when you're near a nest.

Boldened by her political victory with the Subset Curse, Arshia Kishk only grew more influential in Al Falah politics.

Our second round of personality traits, and I elect to upgrade Industrialist rather than grab a new trait.

To the south, the colonists begin establishing their new outpost. The Arabs, Americans, and Dutch of the settlement name the soon-to-be city Aswat Adida: Many Voices, and establish a militia to defend the outpost.

Guaranteed reward for founding your first legitimately built colonist.

State of Al Falah, Turn 52

Ard continues to grow, and the luck we've had with derelict settlements means it's grown quite a bit bigger than it really should have by this point with this landing zone. This update for the city's infrastructure we've finished the fruit plantation, added a farm, and are working on improving the algae. Ard is working on a cytonursery, and a pharmalab will probably be next for the health and to finish the Subset Curse quest.

The aliens remain a serious nuisance to developing Farah, but the ultrasonic fence should help with that. After finishing improving the coral, algae, and petroleum, our worker has started work on a seafloor farm - another Rising Tide addition. Farah needs more food if it's going to grow.

Aswat Adida is newly founded and will grow into a city in due time. With a worker already here, the next turn will see tile improvements begin.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

You can actually grow the territory radius of floating cities without buying tiles. Floating cities can move, and when they move they take control over all tiles adjacent to their new position.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MJ12 posted:

You can actually grow the territory radius of floating cities without buying tiles. Floating cities can move, and when they move they take control over all tiles adjacent to their new position.

Yes, I know. I was going to explain that when the time comes to show that feature.

Farah's probably not going to move, though. It's perfectly positioned for the resources I want.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 19, 2019

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

Cythereal posted:

I'd have picked this even if I didn't go Industrialist. Trade depots now produce +2 production. The alternative would make trade depots also produce +1 energy.

This quest is really strange. Most of the rest of the game is roughly balanced around the idea that 2 energy is equal to 1 of the other resources. Except this one early game quest, which never got patched.

Cythereal posted:

In Beyond Earth, all units upgrade instantaneously and for free no matter where they are in the world. This can sometimes lead to amusing scenarios where one side's forces in a battle suddenly upgrade into new versions between turns.

Because production and energy costs for units scale up when units upgrade, this is actually a very important fact, and if you build a ton of units then get affinity points you can get a comically big army. This has to be the top of the list for incredibly foreseeable ways to break the game, since every other game in the entire franchise has upgrade costs to prevent this exact problem.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alright, reinstalled this to try it again after years. Mostly staying peaceful, but the most annoying thing I've found with being peaceful with aliens - particularly the sea ones - and what seems to make Ultrasonic Fences near mandatory is that even when they're neutral with you they'll just casually pillage your improvements as they wander in and out of your territory.

On land this isn't too bad as you expand your borders, but at sea they'll just meander into the edge of your territory, destroy something, and then move back out again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord Koth posted:

Alright, reinstalled this to try it again after years. Mostly staying peaceful, but the most annoying thing I've found with being peaceful with aliens - particularly the sea ones - and what seems to make Ultrasonic Fences near mandatory is that even when they're neutral with you they'll just casually pillage your improvements as they wander in and out of your territory.

On land this isn't too bad as you expand your borders, but at sea they'll just meander into the edge of your territory, destroy something, and then move back out again.

Note that while I can't prove this, I strongly suspect that ultrasonic fences do not work across the land/sea barrier. A fence on a land city won't repel aquatic aliens (say, if you have a coastal city), and a fence on a sea city won't repel land aliens if you're near an island.

And yeah, krakens, siege worms, and makura are very annoying. One reason why I tend to station units on important resources.

Rising Tide at least made it so that if you get friendly with the aliens - and we almost certainly will in this playthrough - cities can still work any tile that a non-massive alien happens to be occupying. Rising Tide also added a way to non-lethally get rid of aliens crowding our area, though we won't get to that for some time yet, probably, given that Harmony is only going to be our secondary affinity.

mr_stibbons posted:

This quest is really strange. Most of the rest of the game is roughly balanced around the idea that 2 energy is equal to 1 of the other resources. Except this one early game quest, which never got patched.

It's not the most imbalanced quest by any means. If I do the Purity game after this and I get the Cultural Burden quest, I won't care about our affinity and get the Harmony option instead. Hmmm, one shot of 50 culture and 125 energy, or a source of xenomass? Yeah, no, and the Supremacy option is just +10% worker speed.

With Rising Tide, they did at least remove the most hilariously unbalanced building quest in the game: the one for autoplants. Hmmm, 2 energy from autoplants, or a bonus trade route?! Now it's 2 energy, or +1 production. It's still an easy call, but it's not as bad as it was.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
This thread also got me to reinstall. Was having a fun run as a peacknik Polystralia going for a Harmony win but then one of my allies got a bug up their rear end and declared war. On another of my allies. I was allied to everyone save a single punching bag that the whole world hated (but could not destroy, despite the enemy only having their starting city). If one of your allies declares war, the game automatically sends you to war as well, with no option to refuse. Since I was allied with basically the whole world, a single AI ally declaring war cascaded into me being at war with everyone, with additional diplo penalties for breaking alliances.

This game is so close to being good its frustrating. I was making silly amounts of energy and science by trading with everyone and building terrascapes everywhere but didn't have the military to fight off the whole world. I'm going to try again tonight but avoid allying with anyone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just finished recording the next update, though that's the quick and easy part of doing this LP, and here's a sneak peek.

You know how I've been using crashed Seedings as justification for finding all these derelict settlements?

For gently caress's sake...

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Cursed planet is cursed

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
At this rate it's a miracle we even landed.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Turn 67 and it's just us, the secret koreans, and a bunch of ghosts. This planet is fuckin' cursed man, like, zoinks scoob.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well obviously it's because all of those colony ships were using cryo-technology to keep everyone in stasis until the ships landed. Our ship was the only one that had people awake at the helm.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What if the aliens aren't just animals but have laser weapons to shoot down ships coming from space and we only got through because we were the first to arrive without stealth tech :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Turn 67 and it's just us, the secret koreans, and a bunch of ghosts. This planet is fuckin' cursed man, like, zoinks scoob.

It gets spookier.

The Great Galactic Ghoul is alive and well, apparently. He just moved six light years down the block.