Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

frogge posted:

Good. It never made sense for melee to be more powerful than ranged in a sci fi setting.

to be fair it doesn't matter if something makes sense as long as it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Babe Magnet posted:

In the case of Starbound I stand by my statement.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol yeah, Starbound was at its best when weird poo poo was constantly happening, like the butterfly dashing tech, sand mining, absurdly springy grappling hooks, etc.

I just don't subscribe to the notion that swords aren't cool anymore because lasers exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Famously pioneered by george lucas, the laser sword.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Babe Magnet posted:

lol yeah, Starbound was at its best when weird poo poo was constantly happening, like the butterfly dashing tech, sand mining, absurdly springy grappling hooks, etc.

I just don't subscribe to the notion that swords aren't cool anymore because lasers exist.

Swords are cool but don't exist because lasers exists.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I think Terraria makes a pretty strong case for the necessity of ranged weaponry. The more it developed, the more "melee" weapons there were that produced projectiles.

Also seconding the mention of contact damage being fine as long as movement and such is handled well. It was terrible in Starbound in part because guns were pretty bleh, but also because the default movement pattern for mobs was "unerringly approach player," and player movement was being nerfed every month or so.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Swords are cool but don't exist because lasers exists.

Melee weapons are all high-tech space tools. Plasma Saws and Laser cutters

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

Melee weapons are all high-tech space tools

me and the boys

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

I get the rule of cool and all, but it was still a big thumbs down that ranged weapons were so deliberately limited and sucked compared to melee for what felt like weebish sword worshipper reasons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the best thing is to make both as good as you can instead of trying to make one shittier to make the other look better. You can easily do like running up to a guy with a sledgehammer while he shoots at you and it plinks off your armor or whatever, especially since this is a 2D game which completely removes one of the enemy's axis of evasion lol

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frogge posted:

I get the rule of cool and all, but it was still a big thumbs down that ranged weapons were so deliberately limited and sucked compared to melee for what felt like weebish sword worshipper reasons.

Also sucked complete poo poo they made every weapon that wasn't a sword a pain in the dick to actually wield in active combat

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Glad to see this is going well, definitely something I'll want to pick up when it's more complete.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I will love this as long as it doesn't adhere to that weird type of grognard way of thinking, where somehow 'needless busywork = fun'.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

me and the boys

Comin' to steal your genes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Having to remake armour is fine, functionally. It's just having to manually do it all the time that's a bit annoying.

So, like with ammo or something, get a decent enough system to automate restock and manufacture and you should be fine with it. Factorio springs to mind with everything being numerically tracked but that's sort of the point of the game, to get to a point where it's just available when you need it and you stop caring about the specific numbers.

So a machine you build in your base, you come back from an expedition and it clamps over you spark spark spark and now your armour is repaired, your ammo/grenades/medkits are restocked etc etc ? Draws from chests you've set up to be linked to it, and resets you to a programmable 'ready to go' configuration.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I will love this as long as it doesn't adhere to that weird type of grognard way of thinking, where somehow 'needless busywork = fun'.

There's not a caveman phase. It's a futuristic game after all. You're at least starting with some industrial equipment. No click click click pick axing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

So a machine you build in your base, you come back from an expedition and it clamps over you spark spark spark and now your armour is repaired, your ammo/grenades/medkits are restocked etc etc ? Draws from chests you've set up to be linked to it, and resets you to a programmable 'ready to go' configuration.

Yeah stuff like that is cool and serves the dual purpose of giving you something to build and something to work towards. Optimizing your work as a player can be gameplay in and of itself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

There's not a caveman phase. It's a futuristic game after all. You're at least starting with some industrial equipment. No click click click pick axing.

Excellent!

I'm just always surprised (I shouldn't be at this point) at the level of annoying minutiae in those mods, where in order to make something basic, you first have to grind for a poo poo-ton of <something way more basic>. I'll never understand that sort of mindset that some people have. 'Please, give me tedium, so I can proudly show off all of the time I've spent wasted on this, instead of having fun.'

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Because having fun is for casuals, and mindless tedium shows off just how hard you're willing to work at the game. Again, because fun is for filthy casuals.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Excellent!

I'm just always surprised (I shouldn't be at this point) at the level of annoying minutiae in those mods, where in order to make something basic, you first have to grind for a poo poo-ton of <something way more basic>. I'll never understand that sort of mindset that some people have. 'Please, give me tedium, so I can proudly show off all of the time I've spent wasted on this, instead of having fun.'
Even in Minecraft where the, like, entire point is building elaborate machines to automate it things seem to tuned too far in the direction of "tedious bullshit"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

Even in Minecraft where the, like, entire point is building elaborate machines to automate it things seem to tuned too far in the direction of "tedious bullshit"

Aside from some baffling design decisions dealing with potions and enchanting, I find Minecraft to be pretty good at having juuuuust the right amount of tedium vs progression.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

In some regards we need to be gentle about that because those games were the previous generation and really created the genre. At the time, it was considered the norm and not tedious. At least in regards to Minecraft and Terraria. Starbound should have known better and they actually hosed us. The matter manipulator makes it sound like you have the awesome high tech device but it's loving garbage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aside from some baffling design decisions dealing with potions and enchanting, I find Minecraft to be pretty good at having juuuuust the right amount of tedium vs progression.
I mean, you said "mods" in the post I was quoting, so...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

I mean, you said "mods" in the post I was quoting, so...

Oh, right, true. I wasn't necessarily arguing with you either way. I guess I just got confused. Serves me right for posting while at work. :classiclol:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, re: no caveman phase, a large portion of my time has gone into making basic survivalist/industrial equipment like portable generators and work lights and such to work as a baseline instead of Stick Huts and Stone Axes. As Shoehead put it once, it's all very "Dad's garage, in space"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Which is a godsend btw. Because my friends and I have a joke about having to play one more game where we have to punch one more tree for wood to make an axe to hit a tree to get more wood.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You play ARK too?!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HelloSailorSign posted:

You play ARK too?!

Lmao you nailed it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like the Snow Exploration and demo sounds on the Soundcloud. :3

https://www.playoutworlder.com/news/so-what-have-we-been-working-on

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh yeah, our sound effects / soundtrack guy is a phenomenal German and you can quote me on that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Outlander symbol as well as the demo music definitely have a big Rimworld vibe to them, though perhaps anything that goes, “space western” at this point is going to sound Rimworld to me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Considering our game directors background it would be odd if her art style changed between games.

Thinking of RimWorld isn't a bad thing tho. Very cool game.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've really got the itch for a game of Starbound (or something like it, nearly bought Terraria) but I'm trying to save myself.

I bought the DLC for Tropico 5 instead since 7 Days is currently broken for me while ARK is a monster of a game that I just can't bring myself to download again.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The multiplayer alpha is coming along very nicely!

https://twitter.com/UnsubRedun/status/1177780971166412800
https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1177779874657906688

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 28, 2019

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
We're entering stress testing and could use more testers. PM me or post here!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm keen to pitch in! I followed the first thread and I'm really looking forward to seeing what's coming with this game.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Rhopunzel posted:

I would be more than happy to test stresses and break your game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

Absolutely interested! Let's stress this test!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Everything I touch breaks, discords Nalesh#5534

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rhopunzel posted:

I'm in.