Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
None of my posts are worth reading at normal speed, let alone turbo-boosted.

Save the money and buy yourself a new catheter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lowtax posted:

Is this worth it to you guys?
no. turn it off. the money could be better used. id rather you spend money trying to find the box wine that is right for you than that kind of money on extra extra forums speed
also i multitask so i dont even notice if the forums arent instantaneous

Lowtax posted:

myself, Rich "Hitler" Kyanka
confirmed. finally

Xaris posted:

There is a Donate link, I assume that uses the same cc/gateway processor? 5% isn't bad then. https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php

But yeah I'd be down for being able to bulk purchase AV certs just to hand out
there is a flat fee or something involved in the cc purchases so its better to buy in bulk

which apparently you could do by buying a big gift certificate in 1 transaction and using it to buy a bunch of little gift certificates to give to other people
someone try this out

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This was supposed to be the information superhighway, not the information superautobahn.

Slow it down OP

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sid Vicious posted:

Oh I don't have any money Burt I'm trying to convince someone to buy me a pizza I just meant for those who are able, I'm helping in my own way. Everyone who has loads of money please go and buy lots of avs and plat for folks and hell buy your grandma an account. Also buy me a pizza lol

You sound rich

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone who posts here is probably used to dinosaur internet and you could probably sell a "nostalgia upgrade" that further slows down users connections to speeds, emulating early dial up days, and people would buy it to relive the exciting experience of posting on 56k

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Everyone who posts here is probably used to dinosaur internet and you could probably sell a "nostalgia upgrade" that further slows down users connections to speeds, emulating early dial up days, and people would buy it to relive the exciting experience of posting on 56k

[NOT SAFE 56K]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gary oldmans diary posted:

no. turn it off. the money could be better used. id rather you spend money trying to find the box wine that is right for you than that kind of money on extra extra forums speed
also i multitask so i dont even notice if the forums arent instantaneous
confirmed. finally
there is a flat fee or something involved in the cc purchases so its better to buy in bulk

which apparently you could do by buying a big gift certificate in 1 transaction and using it to buy a bunch of little gift certificates to give to other people
someone try this out

yeah i just did it and it works good. actually very good surprisingly for spaghetti code

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Xaris posted:

yeah i just did it and it works good. actually very good surprisingly for spaghetti code

gib cert. I need one for my next loving dumb joke

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Burt Sexual posted:

You sound rich

You know drat well I work part time at a second hand store!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

When this website is slow for me it's always a Google/Twitter/Imgur/whatever site issue that's making pages load slow.

Same. And given that I'm mostly browsing these days on a phone, def did not notice any exxxxtra speed

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lowtax gotta make more donation custom titles
i mean hell gem is obviously the best one. but what if there was a new best one :thunk:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I will say I did notice the extra speed, but it's like ~5%, maybe 10%, difference. The baseline speed for forums when there isn't some index fuckery or whatever was already very good and fast so most definitely not needed at all

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Man, it is really loving fast though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
how about we limit images to 300x200 so we dont tax the processor

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Shrink everyone's av to be like super tiny just so we can all laugh about tiny avs and also save bandwirdht money

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I like fast Something Awful forums. Are there 3160 people that would pay $1 per month to have faster forums? Probably! If you actually figured out a way to collect those monies, would they still give more money to simply access the forums in the first place? Maybe. If SA had an Unobtanium Upgrade that cost $12 per year and gave everyone faster forums if 3160 people signed up, would you please at least try? Maybe charge annually for no-ads? I hate ads, I would pay annually to make them gently caress off. It's not unreasonable!

edit: make it an SA kickstarter (all in-house not actually hosted on kickstarter), and let us help make custom ads to get people excited! Will your credit processor freak the gently caress out if you start up stuff like that?

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 4, 2019

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I need to be able to lurk at lightening speed. This is very important. For reasons.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mizaq posted:

I like fast Something Awful forums. Are there 3160 people that would pay $1 per month to have faster forums? Probably! If you actually figured out a way to collect those monies, would they still give more money to simply access the forums in the first place? Maybe. If SA had an Unobtanium Upgrade that cost $12 per year and gave everyone faster forums if 3160 people signed up, would you please at least try? Maybe charge annually for no-ads? I hate ads, I would pay annually to make them gently caress off. It's not unreasonable!

Shut up it doesn't need to be lightning fast it's a god drat vbulletin web forum for saying I'm gay and bitching about video games, Lowtax has a failing body and tons of debt because of how hosed up the American health care system is and the last thing he needs is a massive bill he wasn't expecting so that the webm of a goat kicking another goat over loads a but faster for you sorry for saying shut up

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I need to find a trustworthy sysadmin and php coder who don't turn out to be unreliable dickheads

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can we get an option for a generic gift cert

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Lowtax posted:

I need to find a trustworthy sysadmin and php coder who don't turn out to be unreliable dickheads

Use patreon cash to pay one then. It's the only way.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lowtax posted:

I truly hope you find someone to help with the backend stuff and if I knew anything at all about web coding I would help you in a heart beat Rich, your website is responsible for a huge majority of my entertainment every month and I hope that it's here for a long time still for me to enjoy. If I hear of anyone I know being a web code guy I'll send them your way for sure. Please take care of yourself and your family first and foremost and I hope you are able to pay your bills still this month your mortgage etc

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm not unreliable but I am a dickhead and can't code anything without copious notes from Google and Githubs.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
is cloudflare your hosting company as well?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

can’t you just host on GitHub pages for free?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lowtax posted:

Might worth asking in cobol/yospos, there's a lot of knowledgeable and decent people these days that have been here for almost 20 years (most of the actually lovely people have been washed out and are gone); however, i also believe zdr come out of yospos. so idk

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Ultra Carp

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It does seem lightning quick, but fuuuck that price tag.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I also didn't notice any difference. Shut it down.

Can you save money by turning off 'Q's? I think we can get by without them.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

Might worth asking in cobol/yospos, there's a lot of knowledgeable and decent people these days that have been here for almost 20 years (most of the actually lovely people have been washed out and are gone); however, i also believe zdr come out of yospos. so idk

Please dont hire any more god damned goons, if you actually have a gig where you want to pay someone thousands to fix a shitted up DB then just go to a professional hiring place.

Don't hire a goon

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

We are not to be trusted

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Someone order me a pizza please

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES

Lowtax posted:

"Annoucement: Looking for a sysadmin / php coder that will work for lent and dog food. Must provide urine specimen for drug testing (weed okay). Required good posting history with no posts in C-SPAM. Thanks. --Lowtax"

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

save some money this place is just a retirement home for shitposters

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
putting multiple $5 gift certs in cart at the same time worked fine once i enabled cookies properly. whoops

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I remember buying a service from a goon once (hosting) he vanished without a word or a chance to backup data.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Definitely not worth it, but it’s very sweet of you to ask.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I literally never post, but dude save your money. I haven't really noticed a difference in load speeds and certainly not one that would be worth 3k/month.

Altair400
Apr 16, 2019

I CASTS THE SPELLS THAT MAKES THE PEOPLES FALL DOWN!
Guess I'm buying an Archives upgrade now.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Now that you mentioned it it seems faster. But save your bux mister lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i bought a $15 av cert and re-bought no-ads (goes away with ban)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=accountfeatures
fully activated maxed out account