Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bernie can be really good once you combine her personal skill with Death Blow

she didn't work out for me in my first run but I hope I can make it work next time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Carlosologist posted:

Bernie can be really good once you combine her personal skill with Death Blow

she didn't work out for me in my first run but I hope I can make it work next time around

...poo poo, I somehow completely forgot about Death Blow when it comes to her. Bowrange +1 on Archer is tempting, but Death Blow would do a lot more for her than Hit +20, especially with the promise of Minor Crest of Indech followups...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 2.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That's not a great start on levels, yeesh.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it wouldn't be a SA Fire Emblem LP without horrendous levels

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
RNG may have been a real lout on the level ups, but a pleasant showing of the mock battle. Good to see everyone in said battle pulling their weight. Unlike SOME renditions where one character or another never accomplishes anything besides distraction strats.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Those levels. So wonderfully bad :allears:. Also, I think Ferdinand’s level is a sign for which job he should be in the future.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That ferdy definitely wants to follow in the footsteps of mine and go assassin. That was some pro dodging

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I adore how the entire class all looked at Edelgard in unison when she said they won because they worked together.

"Who are you and what have you done with our Edelgard"

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The monastery in general seems pretty huge so far - lots of side activities to do (heck yeah, fishing minigame) and people to talk to. I'm always a fan of things like that, but I can imagine all the roaming gets tedious over the course of 3 playthroughs. Is there an option to automate all that if you just want to move from chapter to chapter?

Also voice actor note since you mentioned being unfamiliar with Ratana: she previously voiced Ishtar in FE Heroes, but I've heard that Leonie is her first full-fledged VA role. And there might have been some other FEH-only voice actors who were given roles too? Not too sure on that last part. Whatever the case is, I think it's pretty cool that IntSys was willing to grab new vocal talent for FE3H.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Nondevor posted:

The monastery in general seems pretty huge so far - lots of side activities to do (heck yeah, fishing minigame) and people to talk to. I'm always a fan of things like that, but I can imagine all the roaming gets tedious over the course of 3 playthroughs. Is there an option to automate all that if you just want to move from chapter to chapter?

Haha. Hahaha. Haahahaha.

You can skip ahead on the calendar to any free day or mission day, if you want. However, this will make the game auto-instruct your students (which seems to just pick random students and teach them random things (so it's useless)) and will Rest every time you skip over a free day (which means you lose all opportunities to build supports and train). Doing this a lot makes it basically impossible to recruit people and of course you can't garden, fish, or use the unique marketplace merchants (when they exist). Basically, if you want to engage with other houses at all, you have to explore.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is, however, quicktravel, which helps a bit. (MCs room is kinda far from the important part of the monastery --- the cafeteria, of course).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's not too bad. If you don't care about the fluff conversations it winds up in a pattern of: warp to byletha trainers, warp to the greenhouse, warp to the cafeteria and burn remaining points restoring motivation.

It also helps that the monestary is very front loaded for content. The amount of idle chatter drops down in the back half of the game and a couple of the activities outright stop. It can be downright sparse in the late game in some runs.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
It still surprised me to hear that Caspar is Ben Diskin; he's EXTREMELY Bryce Papenbrook. Compared to Tiz Arrior or Raven's Fire Emblem Heroes voice, it's SUPER similar.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I see you've been crapping on my main spell Nosferatu.

While Nosferatu tanking isn't as nuts as it was in awakening it's still pretty good. Yea, it doesn't have a very high mt but a lot of the enemies in this game have not great resistance.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Nosferatu isn't weak, but it's heavy. It weighs 8, and your mages aren't gonna be breaking 10 strength for a looooong while. This means you can get a well placed shot on an armoured enemy, but if you try and tank with it you're likely to get doubled to death.

For now.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fedule posted:

Haha. Hahaha. Haahahaha.

You can skip ahead on the calendar to any free day or mission day, if you want. However, this will make the game auto-instruct your students (which seems to just pick random students and teach them random things (so it's useless)) and will Rest every time you skip over a free day (which means you lose all opportunities to build supports and train). Doing this a lot makes it basically impossible to recruit people and of course you can't garden, fish, or use the unique marketplace merchants (when they exist). Basically, if you want to engage with other houses at all, you have to explore.

You can literally never use any of your teaching points and everyone will still be far ahead of the weapon skills they'd have in other ranks. It also isn't that hard to recruit people from other houses if you wander into the monastery once and eat lunch with them once a month or something.

People really overvalue it.

You should try to at least mention the song names since it feels really lacking without them, i m o.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cuntellectual posted:

You should try to at least mention the song names since it feels really lacking without them, i m o.

I'll start doing that with update 3.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Fedule posted:

Nosferatu isn't weak, but it's heavy. It weighs 8, and your mages aren't gonna be breaking 10 strength for a looooong while. This means you can get a well placed shot on an armoured enemy, but if you try and tank with it you're likely to get doubled to death.

For now.

Mostly I find it's best on Mage Byleth, who can get 10 strength a lot earlier than say Lysithea and can combo it with their Faith hidden talent.

More as we get deeper into the game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Cuntellectual posted:

You can literally never use any of your teaching points and everyone will still be far ahead of the weapon skills they'd have in other ranks.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Are there some words missing, or...?

It sounds like you're suggesting that Instructing isn't worthwhile, which I think is manifestly untrue. A unit gets 32 pts a week in one skill if they're doing the recommended two subjects. Under the most ordinary conditions, with no luck at all, Instructing them from full motivation adds another 16 to that, an additional 50%. If it's a strength, or you have professor expertise, that becomes 24. With both it becomes 32. With any luck at all it's not unlikely to get another 32 points out of a session, doubling the week's gains. On a new game plus, when most players will be the most concerned about time, you can very easily get more points out of Instructing than the base learning (24-60pts from a session under basic conditions, 40-100 under optimal conditions, depending on luck). If you want to hit any master classes in a timely fashion, or to have any hope of ever hitting S let alone S+ in anything before literally running out of time, you gotta Instruct. Therefore, you gotta motivate. Therefore, you gotta burn those lunch tokens.

Anyway, for recruiting, in NG+ there's an accelerant but it only gets you so far. Beyond that, you gotta get Byleth's skills up, so chances are you gotta do that Faculty Training. You can make it a bit easier by getting multiple support ranks, but to do that you're gonna need to eat a lot more than one lunch a month, or grind out gifts, which requires you to do a lot of exploring anyway.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Looking forward to this a lot Ragnar!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Siegkrow posted:

Shar-Teel+4

Wait what? Wrong LP? poo poo. Uhhh...
Manuela, Hanneman and Shamshir

This was a bad reply, and you should feel bad.

It's a shame that LP died though.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Those're some rough levelups, hopefully the RNG has more mercy on you next mission.

Sad I missed the the vote but good to see all the characters I would've voted for (bar maybe Alois) got in anyhow.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

tithin posted:

This was a bad reply, and you should feel bad.

It's a shame that LP died though.

Oh I agree that vote was always a shot stirring but it is the best way to reference that LP and get as many people to remember the voting wars.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Nondevor posted:

I'll be honest, I'm about 2/3 of the way through my first playthrough and I'm well on my way to finding the Persona parts of the game (Explore stuff and teaching) kind of tedious. However, they're still important, as there's a few late joiners that I want to use for one reason or another that need tons of skills crammed into them for their intended classes, and I need to get the right people dating talking to each other, so I have to plod through them. Once that's done I'll probably start skipping, but I don't think a first playthrough will really have the room to do that till late in the main story unless you're very heavily farming skill points/supports through combat.

Unfortunate I only just noticed the LP today and as such missed the vote, but I'd have just voted for Hilda three times so it's not a big deal.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hil-da! Hil-da!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fedule posted:

I have no idea what you mean by this. Are there some words missing, or...?

It sounds like you're suggesting that Instructing isn't worthwhile, which I think is manifestly untrue. A unit gets 32 pts a week in one skill if they're doing the recommended two subjects. Under the most ordinary conditions, with no luck at all, Instructing them from full motivation adds another 16 to that, an additional 50%. If it's a strength, or you have professor expertise, that becomes 24. With both it becomes 32. With any luck at all it's not unlikely to get another 32 points out of a session, doubling the week's gains. On a new game plus, when most players will be the most concerned about time, you can very easily get more points out of Instructing than the base learning (24-60pts from a session under basic conditions, 40-100 under optimal conditions, depending on luck). If you want to hit any master classes in a timely fashion, or to have any hope of ever hitting S let alone S+ in anything before literally running out of time, you gotta Instruct. Therefore, you gotta motivate. Therefore, you gotta burn those lunch tokens.

Anyway, for recruiting, in NG+ there's an accelerant but it only gets you so far. Beyond that, you gotta get Byleth's skills up, so chances are you gotta do that Faculty Training. You can make it a bit easier by getting multiple support ranks, but to do that you're gonna need to eat a lot more than one lunch a month, or grind out gifts, which requires you to do a lot of exploring anyway.

I meant in other FE games. It's not that "instructing doesn't make your units stronger", it's "you do not need instructing to make your units effortlessly able to breeze through things."

Like for Blue Lions, Dimitri has a strength cap of 87 and like 70% strength growth as a base. Getting him Lancefaire sooner is not going to make or break him.

It's been said, but TH Hard is basically Awakening Easy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
[Please do not even implicitly reveal plot details ahead of the LP. -fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 8, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Please do not discuss context for any of the routes beyond “this House is involved.”

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Please do not discuss context for any of the routes beyond “this House is involved.”

Sorry. Didn’t realize that was revealing too much.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Crowsbeak posted:

Sorry. Didn’t realize that was revealing too much.

No worries!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fedule posted:

For now.

Wouldn't it take 40 strength to circumvent its weight?

I think that's how weight works.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wouldn't it take 40 strength to circumvent its weight?

I think that's how weight works.

Basically, yes.

You get one point of carrying capacity for every 5 points of strength. Your carrying capacity is subtracted from the total combined weight of your weapon and accessory to produce your speed penalty (minimum value 0) which is then applied to your speed stat to produce your AS (which is the base value for Avoid (a change from previous games where base avoid was 2*AS + Luck) and what determines whether or not you double).

So, yes, you need 40 strength... or 8 extra speed, which is usually a lot easier to get. Fast characters can just eat the speed penalty and still double everyone.

You can also learn the ability Weight-3 and Weight-5 by training the Heavy Armour skill to C or A+ respectively. The former of these is relatively easy to do, and Wt-3 is probably the most utilitarian ability in the game.

Overall I really like the changes to weapon weight in 3H. The Con system in the GBA games was garbage because it rendered certain units arbitrarily completely useless because they'd either always be weak or always be slow as poo poo and unable to dodge. The straight Str comparison in the Radiance games was a nice attempt to make characters able to learn to better wield heavy weapons but 1 Str / 1 Wt just meant that past a point weight didn't matter. This system is more balanced, still lets stronger characters wield heavier weapons, but keeps weight a factor all the way to the end of the game, and the changes to the Avo formula mean being weighed down isn't quite the death sentence for dodgy characters it might have been before.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 9, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 3.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Also, Sylvain's writeup.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
...I-I'm sure the level ups will improve in time. Definitely. Totally.

Unrelatedly, oh, Sylvain. You philanderer of many faces. Or classes, as the case may be. You try very, very hard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Must lead to awkward situations where you poach the future king/emperor's/whatever's entire house and then have to sit down and eat dinner with someone you stole their entire retinue/household from.

Sylvain, at least, I gather won't surprise anyone when he ditches his prior allegiance for the new lady teacher who's also aligned with the house lead by a woman.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Oh, huh, they cracked the poaching mechanics? *wanders over to Serenes*
Oh c'mon, gotta get all these skills up to D now!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I think in early levels you’re gonna more likely get crappy levels since commoner and noble give no bonuses to growths and in general I don’t believe anyone in the game has super crazy growths except Lysithea in Magic but that’s in exchange for pretty much everything else.

I hated Sylvain in the beginning, but I couldn’t help but fall in love with him after his supports. I really enjoy the supports and it really helps redeem characters who I would otherwise find insufferable coughcoughFerdinandcoughcough.

Will you be deciding the paired endings or is that something left to the thread?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

jimmydalad posted:

Will you be deciding the paired endings or is that something left to the thread?

I'm unsure how paired endings are determined. If someone can tell me how they're determined, I'll gladly leave them up as a vote before we reach Endgame of a given route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'm unsure how paired endings are determined. If someone can tell me how they're determined, I'll gladly leave them up as a vote before we reach Endgame of a given route.

I think they’re determined by the two characters having A support with each other and being in the top of the Close Allies list in the Notes section of their profile. Then again, sometimes you get cases where another top couple ends up getting paired and I’m not 100% sure why. The only guaranteed way is to give the paired couple A rank and raise no one else to that level.