Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xarn posted:

I don't see the problem tbh? At least if I give the benefit of the doubt and read the unstated part as "and that is bullshit", rather than "and that's why sw engineers are better".
I just feel like it's weird to have an article about a cool thing and and then a comment saying "wow that cool thing is some really cool engineering" and then have someone immediately respond "yeah but the people who made that cool thing make less money than sw engineers" when nobody was talking about how much money anyone makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mystes posted:

I just feel like it's weird to have an article about a cool thing and and then a comment saying "wow that cool thing is some really cool engineering" and then have someone immediately respond "yeah but the people who made that cool thing make less money than sw engineers" when nobody was talking about how much money anyone makes.

the generous reading is two software programmers talking about “real engineering” and one saying it’s crazy that they pay us more even though what we do is so much less important.

but I know that’s not what he meant in my heart

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

i think he is reminding us how sad that is

you could go work on something really cool that changes the world but you will be paid a lot more working on software to pick up nickels in front of a bulldozer, or optimize ad serving by another quarter of one percent

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
ravenstine 9 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: What people get paid to work in journalism

Sure, but journalism is a low ROI product, and some say that the news is just a loss leader for the media and the political establishment to have influence. The vast majority of news stories are read for a few hours and are forgotten about. Most news is junk that most people(rightfully) don't want to pay very much for, even when it's not junk.

Both the state of journalism as well as what journalists get paid is pretty sad, but they might as well be shouting at the clouds.

Here's how I think of it: I have no doubt that anyone could take a room full of software engineers and start a functioning news organization the next day. I doubt that anyone could take a room full of journalists and have them writing production ready code in under a month. (I worked with journalists for over 3 years and only knew of 1 who knew how to code)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That explains a lot.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
bet that guy thinks he could do carpentry too

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
hn: I have no doubt that anyone could take a room full of software engineers and start a functioning X organization the next day

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"it is impossible for journalism to function, which i have established from core principles. bet ya i could do it in a month, tho"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that's quintessential hn right there

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Zlodo posted:

hn: I have no doubt that anyone could take a room full of software engineers and start a functioning X organization the next day

that's right for some definition of 'functioning' in that the barrier to entrance is money and it's a lot easier for a room full of software engineers to get funding

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
maybe his vision of a newsroom is fox news

in which case i could set that up in a day, too

hell i don't even need engineers, i can just pick the angriest looking simians at the zoo. they'll be more fun to watch than the engineers anyway

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just use ML to generate articles with clickbait headlines ez pz

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HN invents indentured servitude.
Also an incredible username/post combo

bernierocks 5 days ago | parent [-] | on: A Calculator for the Billionaires – Elizabeth Warr...

I have great idea. Since poor people can't pay very much in taxes, how about we have required government work programs to make up the difference? IE: you won't get paid, you will work your tax bill off in the form of labor..during your free time and on weekends.
Many countries have tried taxing net worth. The result is always the same: billionaires leave the country and investors think twice about building a business there...which means less jobs and a worse-off economy for the rest of us.

The government just isn't good at innovating and will waste that money on 'administrative costs'.

The funny thing is that the rich already pay the majority of federal taxes in the US. This isn't including all of the people they employ that are also contributing taxes to the government till.

It never seems to be enough because all of that money is pissed away and nobody is ever held accountable.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Xik posted:

Here's how I think of it: I have no doubt that anyone could take a room full of software engineers and start a functioning news organization the next day. I doubt that anyone could take a room full of journalists and have them writing production ready code in under a month. (I worked with journalists for over 3 years and only knew of 1 who knew how to code)

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Suspicious Dish posted:

"it is impossible for journalism to function, which i have established from core principles. bet ya i could do it in a month, tho"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

bernierocks 5 days ago | parent [-] | on: A Calculator for the Billionaires – Elizabeth Warr...

I have great idea. Since poor people can't pay very much in taxes, how about we have required government work programs to make up the difference? IE: you won't get paid, you will work your tax bill off in the form of labor..during your free time and on weekends.
Many countries have tried taxing net worth. The result is always the same: billionaires leave the country and investors think twice about building a business there...which means less jobs and a worse-off economy for the rest of us.

The government just isn't good at innovating and will waste that money on 'administrative costs'.

The funny thing is that the rich already pay the majority of federal taxes in the US. This isn't including all of the people they employ that are also contributing taxes to the government till.

It never seems to be enough because all of that money is pissed away and nobody is ever held accountable.

Wall

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

When we moved in, I was told that using prison labor at the governor's mansion was a longstanding tradition, which kept down costs.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Jose Valasquez posted:

The result is always the same: billionaires leave the country and investors think twice about building a business there...which means less jobs and a worse-off economy for the rest of us.

this is evidently what happens when somebody misfiles atlas shrugged in the history section

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jose Valasquez posted:

Properly, that wouldn't be indentured servitude unless the debt were held by private citizens and it was a long-term obligation. This is "just" corvee labor. It could be done well, but you loving know that the GOP would take full advantage of workers you didn't have to pay to build roads or clean sewers.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yes, that’s the issue with it, that The Other Side might “abuse” it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

darthbob88 posted:

It could be done well,

oh word?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

darthbob88 posted:

Properly, that wouldn't be indentured servitude unless the debt were held by private citizens and it was a long-term obligation. This is "just" corvee labor. It could be done well, but you loving know that the GOP would take full advantage of workers you didn't have to pay to build roads or clean sewers.

itym build private roads on their estates, muck out private sewer systems on their estates

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Oh yeah. Just call it an employer of last resort program instead of "Work Dem Plebes".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, if you really think about it we already have corvee labor because taxation is theft, though?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There's a difference between employment of last resort and forced-work

mystes
May 31, 2006

The original horrible idea being discussed was forced unpaid work for poor people to pay higher taxes. The idea seemed to be that everyone would pay the same amount of income tax, so lets calculate how that would work:

total income tax revenue = $1.5 trillion

working age population = 200 million

income tax revenue per working age person = $7,500

$7,500 / ($7.25/hr) / (40 hrs/week) = 25 weeks.

So if your labor reduced your tax debt at minimum wage, if you were unemployed for an entire year you would have to do forced labor for 6 months just to pay your taxes. Or if you worked the whole year at minimum wage, half your income would go to taxes. Presumably if you were married you would have to work the whole year at minimum wage just to pay your taxes for both you and your spouse.

So either you work and all your money goes to taxes and you starve or you have to spend so much time doing forced labor that you can never hold a job.

On the other hand, someone who made 100 million dollars would pay a 0.0075% tax income tax rate.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 16, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
This does not seem like an especially well-considered fiscal policy instrument, OP?

:ohdear:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it’s dumb in so many dimensions beginning with the proposal not even making sense

mystes
May 31, 2006

lancemantis posted:

it’s dumb in so many dimensions beginning with the proposal not even making sense
I guess it would seem like it makes sense if you start with the beliefs that 1) it's unfair that poor people pay less taxes and 2) poor people are poor because they're sitting around being lazy rather than working, and then you don't really think it through at all.

So basically, the average fox news viewer or hn poster would probably like it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

I guess it would seem like it makes sense if you start with the beliefs that 1) it's unfair that poor people pay less taxes and 2) poor people are poor because they're sitting around being lazy rather than working, and then you don't really think it through at all.

So basically, the average fox news viewer or hn poster would probably like it.

or Darth Bob 88

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

The original horrible idea being discussed was forced unpaid work for poor people to pay higher taxes. The idea seemed to be that everyone would pay the same amount of income tax, so lets calculate how that would work:

total income tax revenue = $1.5 trillion

working age population = 200 million

income tax revenue per working age person = $7,500

$7,500 / ($7.25/hr) / (40 hrs/week) = 25 weeks.

So if your labor reduced your tax debt at minimum wage, if you were unemployed for an entire year you would have to do forced labor for 6 months just to pay your taxes. Or if you worked the whole year at minimum wage, half your income would go to taxes. Presumably if you were married you would have to work the whole year at minimum wage just to pay your taxes for both you and your spouse.

So either you work and all your money goes to taxes and you starve or you have to spend so much time doing forced labor that you can never hold a job.

On the other hand, someone who made 100 million dollars would pay a 0.0075% tax income tax rate.

you're making the classic mistake flat taxers make, and failing to include all the other income taxes

it's about 3 trillion dollars total -- 1.8 trillion income, and 1.2 trillion payroll. also only 153 million people actually work.

so it's gonna work out to $19,609 per worker.

good luck with that @ $7.25 an hour. 50+ hours a week, every single week of the year. you can earn money for your own subsistence after you finish paying off uncle sam i guess

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're making the classic mistake flat taxers make, and failing to include all the other income taxes

it's about 3 trillion dollars total -- 1.8 trillion income, and 1.2 trillion payroll. also only 153 million people actually work.

so it's gonna work out to $19,609 per worker.

good luck with that @ $7.25 an hour. 50+ hours a week, every single week of the year. you can earn money for your own subsistence after you finish paying off uncle sam i guess

techbros bringing all their expertise at estimating project milestones to fiscal planning. what could possibly go wrong

mystes
May 31, 2006

burtonator 2 hours ago [-]

Interviewed at Etsy about a year or two ago and the interviewer was asking me about politically charged topics. How I would handle workplace gender complaints. How they should handle racial diversity in the work place, etc.

It was really clear I was giving wrong answers. I told them flat out that I think people should be judged by the quality of their character, not the color of their skin and that the company should just try to be fair and hire the best people.

I mean I get that companies want to do the right thing but you can only really do ONE thing well.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

burtonator 2 hours ago [-]

Interviewed at Etsy about a year or two ago and the interviewer was asking me about politically charged topics. How I would handle workplace gender complaints. How they should handle racial diversity in the work place, etc.

It was really clear I was giving wrong answers. I told them flat out that I think people should be judged by the quality of their character, not the color of their skin and that the company should just try to be fair and hire the best people.

I mean I get that companies want to do the right thing but you can only really do ONE thing well.

phew boy etsy dodged a bullet on that one

i have a lot of bad poo poo to say about etsy as far as technology and product, but their corporate culture is deeply centered and actually as inclusive as every company claims to be in their wishful thinking poo poo written by hr

(friends got me to interview there years ago and i concluded it wasn't for me, but that was 100% about technology and pay)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh so it’s just feudalism then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

oh so it’s just feudalism then

fuedalism with valley characteristics

theadder
Dec 30, 2011