Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Verdict Day has some strong parallels with Silent Line, but at the end made a sharp turn into Project Phantasma. But at least they explained the bad guys' motivations, unlike Silent Line, which had the most bizarre non-ending in the series (either the Wikipedia article is BS, or I missed a ton of stuff). It's pretty wild how White Glint turned out, being inspired by Stinger from PP, which was in turn inspired by the Stinger LAM from Japanese Battletech (same guy designed both).

On another note, does anyone know if Master of Arena supposed to be a remake of AC1? Is it a prequel? I thought Nineball and each corp were done for at the end of AC1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I didn't know the Japanese version had different art but makes sense

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

Positronic Spleen posted:

On another note, does anyone know if Master of Arena supposed to be a remake of AC1? Is it a prequel? I thought Nineball and each corp were done for at the end of AC1.

For a long time I had assumed Master of Arena was a prequel because you discover the true nature of Nineball, but don't actually destroy the computer like the player does in the end of AC1.

Trying to search this on the internet in 2021 gave me a bunch of theories about how the player character in MOA could be Leos Klein in AC2, so now I am even less certain of anything.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Positronic Spleen posted:

The way I personally read it is, what with the facility at the end of AC1 exploding, that the main character basically dies when that happens. Considering the whole mass production scope of the Nine Ball units, you could reasonably assume that there'd be a backup or non centralized source of it all or whatnot. Project Phantasma happens, which is weird and kinda has no place in the story, and then MoA kicks off talking about Hustler One killing the MC's family, which kinda just seemed to play off of AC1's ending, whether or not you wanted to go with the AC1 MC being the parent of the MoA one or whatnot, there's probably a fair number of ways you could work it in, but not lock out anyone just getting in.

As for Leos Klein, yeah it's basically all but stated that he's the MoA protagonist. Old as hell, from the first generation of AC pilots, known to be a Nine Breaker, and believes humans need strict control. Extrapolating him out as a worn out jaded pilot who, since he mentions planning around a rebel popping up and angrily deriding foolish idealism, isn't a huge stretch to read that as him looking back on himself bitterly. Could just as well be he saw the whole expansion of humanity and further fuel on the fire of corporate wars and just fell back on 'you know what, the ai was right, gently caress this'. Or it could just be a fun nod, but hey it's more fun to read into it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't been following the PSN store news, but this seems relevant (from Reddit):

quote:

Sony officially closing Playstation Store on PS3, PSP, Vita. And what that means for Armored Core's future

As some may be aware, Sony has put forth an official statement that they are closing the Playstation Store on old devices, in a few months. (This was rumored last week, but it is now official.)

What does this mean for Armored Core?

Firstly, it means that the digital versions of the PSP titles, as well as the digital version of Verdict Day, will no longer be available, unless you've already purchased them. So, in order to play these titles, you will either have to try and find them physically, or emulate them (which is easy for the PSP games, but still impossible for VD).

Unfortunately, this also means the death of Verdict Day. In order to play online, or even just connect to the game server, ACVD requires the player to download a free DLC compatibility pack from the PSN store (they added in some cosmetic DLC parts, and without the compat pack, your game will not be able to render them if other players use them). So, once the store goes down, this compatibility pack will forever be lost with it, meaning that any new players that might pick up the game will be locked out of online play forever (and online/multiplayer is 75% of VD).

So, if you have any interest in VD at all, or think you might in the future, then make sure to at least download that compatibility pack to your PS3 (You will also have to make a Japanese account and download it from that store, if you ever want to play on the JP server, where the multiplayer is much more alive and active.) before July 2nd. Again, it's entirely free (as is making a JP PSN).

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Luckily you can download(from anywhere) and install dlc to ps3 games as a pkg with a jailbroken ps3. All these things mostly apply to a stock/OFW system.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

did anyone play from's steel battalion sequel for kinect? i heard it sucked rear end

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
How the gently caress is anyone aupposed to do anything in last raven without save states. I am “good” at armored core and basically every mission in the last half of most playthroughs is drat near impossible. I have never played a game this hard!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Weedle posted:

did anyone play from's steel battalion sequel for kinect? i heard it sucked rear end

I was so sad. The acuity on the Kinect was the problem. You’d try turning and the guns would fire instead.

The thing I love about Chromehounds was shot grouping actually mattered. I built a sniping engine which was 3 sniper rifles jammed together so their barrels were touching. This let me punch through dudes armor way easier. It looked ridiculous too, like a weaponized Mars rover. I miss that poo poo.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

abuse culture. posted:

How the gently caress is anyone aupposed to do anything in last raven without save states. I am “good” at armored core and basically every mission in the last half of most playthroughs is drat near impossible. I have never played a game this hard!

It’s been a long time since I played, but the key for me was figuring out which missions had surprise ac fights in them and made sure i had the cheesiest gank build ready for them. The one where it starts with a ton of burrowing mts and then drops evangel on you, though, I could never beat.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
A bit late for this, but there are undub patches for the 3rd gen games now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/armoredcore/comments/p24lew/undub_patches_for_the_entire_3rd_gen/

You can also find prepatched isos out there on the internet too.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/armoredcore/comments/pjaaym/i_got_tired_of_waiting_for_from_to_make_a_new/

Made in Dreams. Looks pretty cool actually.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.dsp.co.jp/job/89212

Apparently FromSoftware is hiring a conceptual artist that according to google translate "will be in charge of a wide range of designs related to characters and mecha". Could it be...?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://www.dsp.co.jp/job/89212

Apparently FromSoftware is hiring a conceptual artist that according to google translate "will be in charge of a wide range of designs related to characters and mecha". Could it be...?

You can't run forever, From! The body still desires conflict!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I want to believe, but they're talking about character design. So it can't possibly be an armored core game.

Every so often I see on Steam that some indie looking studio has made a mecha game that looks kinda AC like, are any of them actually good?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

In the Elden Ring network test beta sign up page they ask you which fromsoft games you're familiar with and ACV and For Answer are listed.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Lightning Knight posted:

DxM isn’t a fan successor but it is an attempt at a successor. Here’s more of an example of what I’m thinking:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HREK3b75Dic

For me the most important thing to get right in an attempt to follow up on AC is for mobility to be nuanced but feel powerful. Mobility is nuanced in the 2/3 era games but often frustrating unless you are using OP-I due to the limitations of energy or heat management and your opponents’ lack thereof. Conversely, mobility is powerful in 4/FA but has low commitment due to functionally unlimited resources.

5 had good ideas on how to compromise between the two but suffered from level design that did not support its movement mechanics in a lot of cases, i.e. focusing on jumping off of buildings but then asking you to fight in a flat desert.

I’d like to see a system that used 5’s boost hopping alongside 4’s QB, but with QB on either an internal cooldown or charge mechanic so it can’t be spammed.

Project Nimbus is not really that game but it has potential, it’s kind of rough rn tho.

I think in terms of mobility, you get to a point where the mobility from a programming standpoint of these games becomes more simulation than estimation. When I say estimation, I mean when there is a goal speed, and the system just adds values on a smooth curve or a linear rate until you hit that speed which is how most games tend to work. This is what I think should be considered interpolative movement.

With a game which emphasizes mobility with a preservation of velocity, you act with forces rather than goal speeds, and that means you account for things like ground and air drag from different angles and things like that. I think a game which explores this more could really work in something like AC, because AC de-emphasizes the skillcheck on aiming when shooting and aim is more down to positioning and movement above all as its primary gameplay so you suddenly get very nuanced and intense motion.

I thought this was a really interesting concept a few years ago, so I took a crack at building a simple AC clone in Unreal Engine and I quickly found that by enlarging the breadth of the physics and by using a fire-control system like AC does with proper target leading, this was indeed the case. Each time I did this, I could slowly feel it push me toward energy-manoeuvring the same way fighter jets did, with stallouts when I incorporated aerodynamic gliding mechanics to preserve altitude as sort of a natural exploration of glide-boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1C0IQQMXc 2019

The result of this was to move quickly, you had to move in relatively simple arcs to not bleed off too much speed and sharp evasion like ACFA meant you bled a ton of speed off which reduced your tactical ability to respond to threats. In turn, experimenting with angle-of-attack to make the lockbox smaller naturally created dogfight like behaviours which I was really surprised by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXagV-iYUA 2021

I think in terms of making movement combat interesting would be to consider sensorifics much as DCS does and to use that aspect in some way. Maybe to emphasize ground based gameplay's viability, staying low to the ground results in sensor clutter, which makes locking onto you harder and in that way, you have to consider whether or not the extra speed in the air is a bonus in terms of how much easier to lock on you are.

I'd really love to see ideas like this with kinetic energy and altitude also being meaningful resources for airborne movement if there is ever an AC6 but I don't really think its very likely.

I've been experimenting with this "exploration" for a few years now. I'm content to design and use BP, but I'm not really a very skilled programmer but I see most of the AC clones and I honestly weep at how bad most of them are from a pure design/mathematics perspective. That said, I can't even rig a model so its not like I know jack poo poo either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 15, 2021

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, there are a ton of things in the early ac games that really give you a feeling you're piloting a large vehicle rather than just a dude running around. The inertia, capped turn rate and lock mechanics do a lot for this, as does allowing heavier builds to tank a few shots without staggering while they line up to fire.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Expo70 posted:

I think in terms of mobility, you get to a point where the mobility from a programming standpoint of these games becomes more simulation than estimation. When I say estimation, I mean when there is a goal speed, and the system just adds values on a smooth curve or a linear rate until you hit that speed which is how most games tend to work. This is what I think should be considered interpolative movement.

With a game which emphasizes mobility with a preservation of velocity, you act with forces rather than goal speeds, and that means you account for things like ground and air drag from different angles and things like that. I think a game which explores this more could really work in something like AC, because AC de-emphasizes the skillcheck on aiming when shooting and aim is more down to positioning and movement above all as its primary gameplay so you suddenly get very nuanced and intense motion.

I thought this was a really interesting concept a few years ago, so I took a crack at building a simple AC clone in Unreal Engine and I quickly found that by enlarging the breadth of the physics and by using a fire-control system like AC does with proper target leading, this was indeed the case. Each time I did this, I could slowly feel it push me toward energy-manoeuvring the same way fighter jets did, with stallouts when I incorporated aerodynamic gliding mechanics to preserve altitude as sort of a natural exploration of glide-boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1C0IQQMXc 2019

Oh poo poo you're Osaka? I've been following your channel for a while, hope you finish your project.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Big Scary Owl posted:

Oh poo poo you're Osaka? I've been following your channel for a while, hope you finish your project.

Ah, outed myself! Haha! Thank-you for the support and kindness!

I've been dealing with depression lately due to some stuff I'd rather not get into but the project is starting to get to its peak in terms of the experimental phase. About the only stuff left to do for the movement system is adapt it all to work with the control-actor model so players can take remote control of different types of units and then start work on the asset phase with things like animation.

I've written a combo system recently with a hold-order based system and a diagram for discovering contexts with the face-buttons adapting the stance of a technique and the bumpers executing the specific attack in third person and in first using the right stick to bias the attack's direction or its precision in certain ways but I'm not sure that will translate very well for high speed movement without better automation or some cheating in terms of the PID control gimmicks which do the auto-maneuvering stuff for close combat and special manoeuvres control (eg, relative station keeping and goaling to replicate the feeling of games like omega boost, or Panzer Dragoon).

I realized that the reason my project wouldn't cook recently is mostly down to a C++ to BP library that just makes UE4's quaternion functions available to BP (I'm dyslexic so I really struggle to read traditional code well, and the syntax is kind of alien to me) doesn't cook properly but I think if I talk to someone who knows a bit more than me I can probably fix this since I have the source-code, i just don't understand how to compile it "in context with the engine" where I'd be able to call it properly in the function libraries I've written.

I'd really love to work with a programmer who knows a bit more about C++ than I do, or someone with better math skills -- I'm just a crappy hobbyist designer who knows a bit of physics and a lot of psychology and human-factors stuff at the end of the day.

Its funny to think this all started as just reverse-engineering ACFA for fun because I know a bit of ASM and I'm comfortable with bigendian stuff so I took a peek under the hood on the 360 to see how certain things were done and now I have people on their own projects coming to me for questions and advice.

I'll do my best, and again thank-you very kindly for the support!!

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 17, 2021

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, there are a ton of things in the early ac games that really give you a feeling you're piloting a large vehicle rather than just a dude running around. The inertia, capped turn rate and lock mechanics do a lot for this, as does allowing heavier builds to tank a few shots without staggering while they line up to fire.

Ah, so there's a maximum turn-speed any AC is allowed in first-gen? I don't think the turn-rate is too high that often in newer titles, but I do like the way 4th split it up into a movement technique though keeping the base turn-speed significantly slower would have widened the turning circles and probably made the combat significantly more interesting -- since the point of AC's gameloop is ground-based dogfighting in open-space turning to get into the control-zone of your opponent while gambling to get out of their gunsights or its wide use of terrain to remain carefully hidden.

I think this "still plays fun in open space" is an essential thing any AC needs to do where even without cover, there are still geometric options to consider like whether you're doing lead or lag pursuit on a running opponent, or when you both fall into turning arcs facing eachother whether or not you rush someone to get into their blindspot and how you estimate their movement is going to recover from doing this.

At the end of the day, its all trigonometry calculations in your head about turn-rate fundamentally, which is something a lot of the fan-games I feel don't really get about AC.

The "tank controls" are a deliberate part of the gameplay, and kind of essential to AC being AC. I think where it becomes annoying for players spoiled by instantaneous character and camera turn-rates is primarily the camera since a limited turn-rate on the camera also limits your knowledge of enemy position. I think Warthunder solved this problem really nicely by letting the two be separate things though that only makes sense in a game where the player is moving along a path like a jet does with the turns being on the opposing stick or something. That being said, the closest analogue in a lot of games is to turn to the last direction a player character moved in via left stick or WSAD so I guess you could limit that turn-rate and have it remain tactical enough. That said, players most of the time would want to face the camera, or a tagged target, since turn-and-face is a very common behavioural pattern in players...

It kinda makes you realize a lot of fundamentals about what makes AC really great haven't grown or changed in a long time and that a lot of creature comforts also haven't entered it either. You can still have nimble control but clunky robots, I think and this is something that many driving sims have no problems pulling off -- its also down to either your careful and precise control, or the perception of what "nimble" is (eg, nimble in slow speeds where there's lots of things and small turning circles, but far less so when moving quickly -- or again the information problem of being able to "see" your opponent helping you to make informed decisions instead of having to imagine where they are based on radar data and last known position and estimated behavior from the radar or what you think his strongest move is in that situation).

Do you look at other games which are "like" AC and see mistakes or problems, or do you look at any games which are totally unlike AC and see things which are interesting to you or seem worth exploring?

This question goes out to everybody here, really. Its very very interesting.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like I've talked to death about the OG AC mechanics that I felt worked best, and the turn rate and momentum and stuff discussed earlier definitely is a huge part of making it feel 'right' in my mind. Doing a short boost hop, cutting the boost and coasting, and transitioning smoothly back into a grounded boost dash as you approach the ground all just feels good. But then applying it to combat and stuff, having the level of air control to change how you're moving to dodge while in the air, or having you come to a hard stop when you hit the ground without your boosters engaged (with a stun time if you're going too fast or have low leg stability vs weight) all to mess with lock ons and target leading gives it a nice sense of depth.

Another big important thing in my mind is also the existence of lock boxes, and the mechanics around getting a target in your sights and actually 'locking on'. Like I mentioned before, the movement options give a lot of opportunities to mess with the target leading done by the FCS, so the ability to actively un-lock and fire at where something is right now vs where it will be if it keeps moving how it is is a nice counter to normal anti-target leading countermeasures.

All of that together leads to a nice little bit of rock-paper-scissors combat design, where you can actively fight around assorted strategies by either moving in a certain way, or by temporarily 'unlocking' so to speak to not lead your target to work against that and so on. Beyond that, stuff like environment design I feel adds a fair bit to it too, not having endless open flat areas where you can move to your heart's content, and having to navigate on the fly and use terrain/the arena size to your advantage and stuff like that is something I feel a lot of fangames (and later AC games) missed.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel like I've talked to death about the OG AC mechanics that I felt worked best, and the turn rate and momentum and stuff discussed earlier definitely is a huge part of making it feel 'right' in my mind. Doing a short boost hop, cutting the boost and coasting, and transitioning smoothly back into a grounded boost dash as you approach the ground all just feels good. But then applying it to combat and stuff, having the level of air control to change how you're moving to dodge while in the air, or having you come to a hard stop when you hit the ground without your boosters engaged (with a stun time if you're going too fast or have low leg stability vs weight) all to mess with lock ons and target leading gives it a nice sense of depth.

Another big important thing in my mind is also the existence of lock boxes, and the mechanics around getting a target in your sights and actually 'locking on'. Like I mentioned before, the movement options give a lot of opportunities to mess with the target leading done by the FCS, so the ability to actively un-lock and fire at where something is right now vs where it will be if it keeps moving how it is is a nice counter to normal anti-target leading countermeasures.

All of that together leads to a nice little bit of rock-paper-scissors combat design, where you can actively fight around assorted strategies by either moving in a certain way, or by temporarily 'unlocking' so to speak to not lead your target to work against that and so on. Beyond that, stuff like environment design I feel adds a fair bit to it too, not having endless open flat areas where you can move to your heart's content, and having to navigate on the fly and use terrain/the arena size to your advantage and stuff like that is something I feel a lot of fangames (and later AC games) missed.

The issue with unlocking (the marching bars, as some people might know it) is that if you're fighting a mobile opponent, unlocking leaves you totally unable to hit anything once the gamespeed gets above a certain rate.
This is especially true in 4th gen, where unlocking becomes functionally useless for anything but hitting buildings in certain missions to knock the objects on top into the water.

I think if the rounds had some very weak tracking of their own (not unlike Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordinance under DARPA) as an option, and that aiming was more in terms of leading the shot to make it more accurate, you could probably bring unlocking back and rely on the passive guidance in a lot of situations to pick up some of the slack provided you were very smart about your movements and aim. It would seriously change what ranges you could engage at, and its kind of interesting to consider -- deliberately exploring changes to fire control and movement which recover unlock's viability as a tactic.

I think in turn another thing to consider might be certain things biasing how the FCS behaves and letting players mess with that -- eg, back-pedelling could tell the FCS to prefer locking up missiles while happening for example because its a classically defensive posture, but the different "postures" could be given different movement or command slots or something like that, somewhat like how Freespace handles its Autolocking (closest, target bombers, etc)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno what you mean about making it so you can't hit anything without being locked on (the terminology I'm used to is single lock vs double lock for firing 'at' an opponent vs leading), in competitive play and stuff for the PS2 gen, which was mainly my focus in that bit, is that purposefully moving your reticule so that the enemy is outside of it, killing your doublelock and dropping down to a single lock so you can get a few shots in on an opponent that is regularly using maneuvers that are meant to cause your target leading to misfire into the ground or something. For example, doing a boost hop but instead of continuing through once you approach the ground, you land without reboosting to come to a dead stop, and then maybe even boosting in the other direction.

Competitively, unlocking like that is a very regular thing for suits using slow-moving but powerful shots or stuff like sniper rifles, since standard movement practices tend to be relatively nonlinear specifically for evasion purposes, so you try and time your shots in the vulnerable periods where they specifically take action that makes them vulnerable to shots aimed at them but would, in the context of someone being locked onto them the whole time, would whiff. In third gen, OB stepping was also thrown in there regularly as a tool too, which is part of why it got nerfed so hard.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Vulture_UF/status/1463196781383020551

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0edD_Gsw8

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouFsmmRIoVQ

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Badass. That looks like a happy medium between nexus/LR and 4. I am weirded out about the lack of lock-on box, but I assume the UI is turned off for aesthetics.

In general AC chat, has anyone ever found a situation where shoulder cannons on a biped are viable? Like, kneeling to fire a massive gun looks badass, but in reality it feels like it's actually a death sentence since your target just gets behind you and shoots you in the back.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/from-softwares-armored-core-6-reportedly-revealed-via-survey/

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:getin:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yes I'm sure that Armoured Core 6 will have [checks article] the plot of Dune

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes I'm sure that Armoured Core 6 will have [checks article] the plot of Dune

Boost without rhythm

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Boost without rhythm

Then you won't attract the WH02RS-WYRM

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Some (alleged) screenshots got posted as well:

Here's hoping it's not a hoax!

Crazy Achmed posted:

In general AC chat, has anyone ever found a situation where shoulder cannons on a biped are viable? Like, kneeling to fire a massive gun looks badass, but in reality it feels like it's actually a death sentence since your target just gets behind you and shoots you in the back.

This is from a while ago but the only mission I can think of is the one in Nexus where you have to blow up a bunch of bombers that fly in a straight line over the arena and just shoot missiles at you sometimes. It's a weird mission because it's entirely about DPS and ammo efficiency so you could probably make a heavyweight turret biped with missile countermeasures work. I'd still stick to dual-wielding sniper rifles to get the secret part for blowing all the targets up though.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Some (alleged) screenshots got posted as well:

Here's hoping it's not a hoax!

This is from a while ago but the only mission I can think of is the one in Nexus where you have to blow up a bunch of bombers that fly in a straight line over the arena and just shoot missiles at you sometimes. It's a weird mission because it's entirely about DPS and ammo efficiency so you could probably make a heavyweight turret biped with missile countermeasures work. I'd still stick to dual-wielding sniper rifles to get the secret part for blowing all the targets up though.

Some more detail from the ResetEra thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/from-software-possibly-working-on-a-new-armoured-core-game-update-screenshots-added.536813/

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Not AC related but King's Field related. Check out Lunacid on steam if anyone's pining for a new KF-like. Currently in EA, but it's really good so far.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Playing Armored Core 1 trying to finally get into this series. It's pretty fun, except I sure wish the garage and shop were interlinked so you could compare your parts more easily without needing to back out between menus to compare them.

Also I just had a mission where I was told not to shoot power generators but it turns out firing one bullet anywhere causes a massive explosion and mission failure and I managed to fail literally 5 seconds into the mission. 10/10 game design, would witness my PS1 emulator dying and running everything at 5 frames per second again.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, AC1 has some pretty janky missions at times. Are you sure that's the generator mission and not the fuel tank one? Because if it's the fuel tank one, sell your guns, get a good laser blade and go take a very careful look around behind all of the fuel tanks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, AC1 has some pretty janky missions at times. Are you sure that's the generator mission and not the fuel tank one? Because if it's the fuel tank one, sell your guns, get a good laser blade and go take a very careful look around behind all of the fuel tanks.

Sounds like Worker Robot Removal to me, which has generators instead of fuel tanks. It's technically possible to win that one while destroying the generators, with luck, although it costs you a fair chunk of money.

I managed it with a laser rifle, but you really have to check line of sight, and the robots explode with just enough force to blow up a generator if they're too close.

Upside is, the mission has no expenses if you use an energy weapon and do it right, so it's pure profit.

Nearing the endgame on my first run, with a slapped together iron flower for my AC's emblem. There's a fair deal of jank, and I've had to replay a few missions, but overall it's been less stressful than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've also recently played AC1 again, my first play through since I regularly rented it from Hollywood Video.

It certainly does have a control scheme.