Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

I played about 2 hours of Rise to Ruins and found it enjoyable, if a little bit slow going. What’s the end game like for this, i really enjoyed looking at the map and seeing where i might be able to expand out to in the future almost like i was planning a Starcraft base expansion or something.

Does it get super tower defense-y in late game? Some pictures on Steam of peoples late game bases have mazes and towers like a classic tower defense, is that the focus of the game in the end or is there more to the base building aspect as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Synastren posted:

Nilaus (Twitch | YouTube) is a fantastic streamer who specializes in Factorio, but also has done a lot with Satisfactory and Oxygen Not Included. Dude's actual career is as a logistical manager in Europe, so he has a very different sort of sensibilities from any number of other players.

On a completely different note:

I cannot fathom why you've included Stardew Valley in this category; there's a whole category of farming games (e.g., Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing) that don't exactly have any sort of focus on building any sort of logistical nexus. For that matter, Terraria nominally has base building--which is more important than in Stardew!--and that game is hardly one I would consider a base builder.

My personal understanding of base building games involves creating some apparatus to automate things to let the player progress to ever more complex undertakings. Anno is more like a base builder than a city builder (virtually every thing the player does involves supply chain management and logistics, rather than zoning and traffic patterns), but that doesn't conform I guess? The genre identified for this thread is unclear, at best.

Some noteworthy recommendations, though; gonna take a hard look into Raft.

Added Nilaus. Put a parenthetical around Stardew Valley.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Andronian posted:

I played about 2 hours of Rise to Ruins and found it enjoyable, if a little bit slow going. What’s the end game like for this, i really enjoyed looking at the map and seeing where i might be able to expand out to in the future almost like i was planning a Starcraft base expansion or something.

Does it get super tower defense-y in late game? Some pictures on Steam of peoples late game bases have mazes and towers like a classic tower defense, is that the focus of the game in the end or is there more to the base building aspect as well?

End game of a map is going to be maze-like tower defense and slow reclamation of land from the corruption, as you will otherwise be overrun by the enemy. They spawn more frequently during the night due to the higher number of graveyards and then a secondary layer of pressure when the corruption cannot spread further which adds to the volume of enemies.

I think the latter has a secondary effect in that reclaiming land using buildings like fire pits slows the gently caress down. My second year I inadvertently broke contamination containment while rearranging my pits and it squirted across empty ground in a matter of seconds to fill a pristine, empty forest. Cleanup hasn't been fun.

Side note grab Crystal Golem Combobulators and max them out to ice. You'll thank me later.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Davincie posted:

keep at it! theres basically a few tricks to frostpunk and once you get those it gets very easy at all but the hardest difficulty

Er.. keep making a shitload of wood and food, throb a load of coal outta the ground, profit? I've survived to day 8 like that, but I'm getting a bad feeling that things will get interesting soon.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 23, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

luxury handset posted:

it was in that weird 2000s mindset of "we don't need great AI or a single player campaign, we have ~multiplayer~"

There was a campaign but it was really rudimentary, you just got more rooms to build every time and a certain goal, which sounds fine but it just feels like you're doing the same thing over and over when the station layout doesn't change.

Dungeon Keeper offered different maps and other level gimmicks to play with, Evil Genius was already really bare with just 2 maps to play on but Startopia is honestly kind of boring once you're done playing with the biodeck.

It was also really unbalanced. Once you built an Oroflex your aliens just stopped giving a poo poo about the other entertainment buildings, a lot of buildings have no clear effect and there's some opaque tricks you have to use like "don't build food vending machines on the lower deck". The game doesn't explain itself well and once you know how it works it's not too interesting.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 23, 2019

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Thanks. There's a gazillion things named quarry on the play store, do you have a link?

Found it Here

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

City Builder Megathread is up, link here.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

End game of a map is going to be maze-like tower defense and slow reclamation of land from the corruption, as you will otherwise be overrun by the enemy. They spawn more frequently during the night due to the higher number of graveyards and then a secondary layer of pressure when the corruption cannot spread further which adds to the volume of enemies.

I think the latter has a secondary effect in that reclaiming land using buildings like fire pits slows the gently caress down. My second year I inadvertently broke contamination containment while rearranging my pits and it squirted across empty ground in a matter of seconds to fill a pristine, empty forest. Cleanup hasn't been fun.

Side note grab Crystal Golem Combobulators and max them out to ice. You'll thank me later.

Is beating the corruption back a thing you can actually do? My experience with the game was that you could hold back for a while but the corruption was necessarily going to progress faster than you can (in particular because towers can reach a max level but enemy creep numbers cant) and eventually you'd always be overrun rather than being able to beat the corruption back to any extent. And, looking up stuff online, this seemed to be the intended experience, every time.

Also how do you get loving anything built in a reasonable amount of time, I always spam a bunch of labor golems and try to have lots of builders but the second a max level tower gets destroyed the game just failure cascades from there as rebuilding it up to max level (much less building more defenses than you already had) before the next enemy wave is impossible

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey guys can we talk about Rise of Ruins in the city thread now that I've made it? So more city builder types will see that there's interest in the game.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

ninjewtsu posted:

Also how do you get loving anything built in a reasonable amount of time, I always spam a bunch of labor golems and try to have lots of builders but the second a max level tower gets destroyed the game just failure cascades from there as rebuilding it up to max level (much less building more defenses than you already had) before the next enemy wave is impossible

Answering this here but then moving to the city builder thread: Ancillaries. You should have way more people as organizers than builders. Organizers will put the materials into the building just like builders but that's their dedicated job.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I have been glued to Mindustry for like a month (specifically on android). My last game was in the nuclear production complex and I got to round 230 or 240 or something, I was producing a stupid amount of the big fighter drone things so enemies couldn't even approach my line of static guns before being annihilated. Ended up blasting off because I kept having power management problems and the map had become a rat king of conveyor belts.

After so many early plays where 1 boss would stomp on my nuts, it was really satisfying to watch 3 or 4 of them hide in a corner as fire and bullets filled the screen :black101:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, Conan Exiles is a really fun game and is even pretty decent solo (because you can adjust the resource and XP rates).
I just don't know if you can really do everything alone.

People in online clans have specialized roles because there's so much to do.

The thrall system is basically what I want from these games. I want NPCs (hopefully programmable) to automatically farm and defend my stuff while I go around making it all pretty.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Friend posted:

I have been glued to Mindustry for like a month (specifically on android). My last game was in the nuclear production complex and I got to round 230 or 240 or something, I was producing a stupid amount of the big fighter drone things so enemies couldn't even approach my line of static guns before being annihilated. Ended up blasting off because I kept having power management problems and the map had become a rat king of conveyor belts.

After so many early plays where 1 boss would stomp on my nuts, it was really satisfying to watch 3 or 4 of them hide in a corner as fire and bullets filled the screen :black101:

I'm on that map now at wave 15 or so, I powered up an impact reactor and a few thorium ones so my power issues are over, I built two big air/ground guns whose name ive forgotten. Are the fighter drones good? Are they the air or land kind? I haven't really bothered to build huge armies and mostly focused on turrets.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hey Mayveena. Thanks for coming to a game thread you’ve never been to before, provide no content, and then spam an ad for your thread.

:one:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Zesty posted:

Hey Mayveena. Thanks for coming to a game thread you’ve never been to before, provide no content, and then spam an ad for your thread.

This but unironically.:five:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zesty posted:

Do I get something for the spam?? Please enlighten me!!!!

The purpose of these threads is for people who may be playing a game that they like but want to discover other games that are like the game that they like. That's it. There are so many indie games in both base building and city/village building that it'd be silly to start a thread for all of them. Thus the mega thread. Seems to be working as intended.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Zesty posted:

Hey Zesty. Thanks for coming to a game thread you’ve never been to before, provide no content, and then backseat mod it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Zesty posted:

:confused: it's a nice thread and directly relevant to readers of every thread he posted it in. what are you mad about? that you had to see a single post about something that might interest you? :confused:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I'm on that map now at wave 15 or so, I powered up an impact reactor and a few thorium ones so my power issues are over, I built two big air/ground guns whose name ive forgotten. Are the fighter drones good? Are they the air or land kind? I haven't really bothered to build huge armies and mostly focused on turrets.

I had like 30 Revenant factories and a few wraith factories, I was surprised how effective they were because every other time I've just done turrets that bosses fly past. The walking mechs aren't good for anything but "destroy the enemy core" levels.

Impact reactors are great until power slows down, your water cryo pumps stop, and then you're at - 50,000 energy

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Synastren posted:

I cannot fathom why you've included Stardew Valley in this category; there's a whole category of farming games (e.g., Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing) that don't exactly have any sort of focus on building any sort of logistical nexus. For that matter, Terraria nominally has base building--which is more important than in Stardew!--and that game is hardly one I would consider a base builder.

There's a Stardew Valley mod called Automate that adds a ton of depth to the base-building gameplay.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I think we can afford to be lenient when talking about games that are base building related. Policing what games we can and can't talk about is gonna stifle discussion.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

stationeers is exactly this and it rules
Is it worth playing in single player mode? My internet connection is awful.

Tias
May 25, 2008

If you post about threads or posting you should have both your legs and spine replaced with spongewood pegs :getout:

for content:

Anyone actually complete Rimworld by homegrowing a ship? What did you do when the game spams mechanoid and blue moon attacks against you?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Not sure when you last played, but the game has changed somewhat over time, though what youre describing sounds like my first experience with the game many years ago. For example, now you can no longer get PVP'd to death until you train the Rage skill (allowing you to both kill and be killed in PVP). Also, walls are much easier to build and harder to destroy or bypass. I played the most recent world (world 10) with my gf with a base WITHOUT walls, and not only were we never raided, but as far as I know we never had anyone steal from us (except for one guy who destroyed a fence we built because it was in the way of a highway he had already built prior to us setting up there). The same goes for the current world so far.

You are correct in your emphasis that this can very well be one of the most brutal, open-world survival PVP games though, but if you are a new player who wants to strike out on their own and focus only on PVE, then it's very easy to do that now. Or you could always just join an established village (but I find that boring).

Another nice thing about playing/starting the game with a friend is while the world is very large, there is a system in place where new characters can spawn at an existing player using a password system. This makes it very easy for friends to get started on surviving and building and overall just being forest hobos together.

It has been a few years now yeah, so I'm not surprised if Jorbtar made changes to support newbies (they'd been dealing with a declining player base for a while already). I'm somewhat hyperbolic in how aggressively you're going to be raided but it's equal parts luck as to who is nearby and how attractive a target you end up making yourself.

I mostly quit because the game became a chore though, daily base maintenance and curio cycling/foraging just started sucking the fun out of it for me after the novelty wore off.

Tias posted:

Anyone actually complete Rimworld by homegrowing a ship? What did you do when the game spams mechanoid and blue moon attacks against you?

It's basically exactly the same as regular raids except on a daily timer. Get armor piercing guns for mechanoids and maybe micro a pawn as bait to draw fire away from your defenses, BMC raids are standard humanoids strategies. If you can't handle successive raids with no downtime then you need a better killbox, more pawns, more mortars, more turrets, or some combination of the above.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone got opionons about this new stranded sails game?

It bills itself as an open world farming adventure. At first glance base building seems to consist mostly of building a farm for yourself and maybe some buildings for the other castaways. Looks intriguing.

Tias posted:

for content:

Last time I did this I only had 4 colonists alive so it didn't take long to go from nothing to a full ship. Only had to weather a few mechanoid attacks. Technically, you only need 1 colonists to get away in the ship for it to count as a success.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Raptor is doing a series on Stranded Sails. If other games (Outer Worlds) weren't coming out today I might have gotten into it. Raptor's channel is linked in the OP.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks for the Rimadvice. I consider killboxes cheating at worst and dull at best, so I haven't used them. I guess that's my next move.

In other news, I just completed Frostpunks initial campaign. That is the single most depressing thing I've done in a while :sigh:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Tias posted:

Thanks for the Rimadvice. I consider killboxes cheating at worst and dull at best, so I haven't used them. I guess that's my next move.

In other news, I just completed Frostpunks initial campaign. That is the single most depressing thing I've done in a while :sigh:

You don't have to do a generic kill box, you can try to spice it up by adopting traditional, real world defensive structures. I've been using the terraform mod a lot lately to make forts/castles with moats and bridges. It's still a giant kill zone but it's prettier than just a box.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Zesty posted:

:byewhore:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mayveena posted:

How different is Kenshi from Rimworld?

In kenshi you get to be the insane cannibal raiders.

Kenshi is basically more like if you combined mount and blade, squad tactics games like Liberal Crime Squad and Rimworld. While most games tend to be played as nomads or raiders with tiny settlements the game still has deep base building options and manufacturing chains but it’s all optional.

The fact it takes place in such an insane world full of cities and villages to interact with makes the base building really work for me since I can use my excess capacity to expand other bases or just train of bunch of robot commandos to murder all the factions I don’t like and get to actually control my supersoldier squad while doing so makes the base building way more interesting. You can do so in Rimworld but it’s not worth it without mods.

It’s the only game besides LCS that really scratched my squad tactics rpg itch.

I can’t really run it great on my computer and I’ve stopped playing video games for a while to focus on academics and work but I loved creating a small base where I trained up my antifa supersoldiers to rampage through Holy Nation territory executing slavers.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 27, 2019

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Space Skeleton posted:

I can only speak about 7Days but it's a lot of fun solo, the latest dev version you can opt into has some nice improvements a solo player can appreciate too.

Trip report: 7 Days to Die is very fun solo.

The fact that you can expect a horde every 7 days adds a goal and a sense of urgency to the basebuilding, crafting, and resource gathering phases. It also adds a fun resource sink, and a reason to expand, fortify, and explore.

I haven't reached endgame yet but it's definitely been worth the time spent so far.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Graveyard Keeper's got some new content DLC, and it is Baller

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Steam recommendations popped up something called Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulation, has anyone given this a go, is it good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/455980/Judgment_Apocalypse_Survival_Simulation/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

robziel posted:

Steam recommendations popped up something called Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulation, has anyone given this a go, is it good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/455980/Judgment_Apocalypse_Survival_Simulation/

Seconding this. It looks up my alley but i dont know.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its okay, Im not a huge fan if it. It just felt kinda janky throughout my entire time playing it.

I would watch a few lets plays of it and see what you decide.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Telsa Cola posted:

Its okay, Im not a huge fan if it. It just felt kinda janky throughout my entire time playing it.

I would watch a few lets plays of it and see what you decide.

Hrm guess I know what I'm doing on my lunch today.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

robziel posted:

Hrm guess I know what I'm doing on my lunch today.

Yeah I realize my description wasn't too helpfull, sorry about that. The game plays more like a apocalypse survival sim rather than a base builder and I felt like the whole raid situation was too punishing to actually be able to fully enjoy the base building.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Nah your origional descrption matched what a few of the reviews said too so it made sense. What about the raids did you feel was too punishing, to difficulty in general or if you fail the raid you end up in a death spiral? I ended up reading yesterday and forgot to watch and LP's so that's on today's list.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw that but I figured it'd be hard pressed to beat rimworld with the cthulhu and magic mods installed :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow factory town owns. I finally picked it up this week after going back and forth on it for months thanks to your recommendation Mayveena and wound up staying up til 5 am playing it while in a discord cfhst with a friend of mine, also picking it up for the first time. What a delightful indie gem. The marketplace and mining systems feel extremely well realized, and it actually reminds me a lot of Roads & Boats in how it models certain subsystems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Wow factory town owns. I finally picked it up this week after going back and forth on it for months thanks to your recommendation Mayveena and wound up staying up til 5 am playing it while in a discord cfhst with a friend of mine, also picking it up for the first time. What a delightful indie gem. The marketplace and mining systems feel extremely well realized, and it actually reminds me a lot of Roads & Boats in how it models certain subsystems.

Yep! I love it!! It's so good y'all. And the dev is awesome, be sure to join Factory Town Discord!

https://discord.gg/z5TV789