Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

The Master System version, meanwhile, is an utter cakewalk, since the bombs don't really vary in arc any and you have so much more room to work with.

BexGu posted:

Ha ha, and then you had the fight the boss "How the hell do I use the hang glider".

I beat both of these bosses with the level select code :v:

Because god drat I could beat the rest of the game but not the first two stages. gently caress you game gear Sonic! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

seiferguy posted:

I was never great at fighting games, but man I remember fighting Eyedol in Killer Instinct that was a cheap motherfucker. gently caress up and he snags you in a combo (and combo breakers were hard to pull off in that game), then he sends you flying and while you're immobilized he stomps to gain his health back.

The boss AI in MK2 and 3 was some bullshit, too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Scrublord Prime posted:

I beat both of these bosses with the level select code :v:

Because god drat I could beat the rest of the game but not the first two stages. gently caress you game gear Sonic! :argh:

getting the timing of that code right was like a boss fight in and of itself

shame that using it automatically makes you fail to rescue tails

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

getting the timing of that code right was like a boss fight in and of itself

shame that using it automatically makes you fail to rescue tails

iirc you can just warp to Crystal Egg Zone and just beat Robotnik and save Tails. Unless the bad ending plays anyways if you cheated your way there, a quick youtube didn't show.

Also speaking of trash bosses is the final boss of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PI5y_LscXE&t=456s

It isn't a hard or frustrating boss, you just stay in the tube until an opportunity to hit Robotnik comes up. You're invulnerable while in the tube and you need to be in it anyways to avoid the lightning attack that hits the entire screen. You're just waiting for the spinning shots to get out of the way and the floor-traveling lightning bolts to not be there to hit Robotnik then go back in. It's a poorly made boss which fits the rest of the game.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Scrublord Prime posted:

iirc you can just warp to Crystal Egg Zone and just beat Robotnik and save Tails. Unless the bad ending plays anyways if you cheated your way there, a quick youtube didn't show.

yeah, you can warp directly to the final boss, but since you won't have all the emeralds (there's one hidden in the second act of each of the first five zones) then tails remains captured or dies or whatever the ending screen was trying to say

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

yeah, you can warp directly to the final boss, but since you won't have all the emeralds (there's one hidden in the second act of each of the first five zones) then tails remains captured or dies or whatever the ending screen was trying to say

How does that work when you can only face the final boss by collecting all of the emeralds?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

How does that work when you can only face the final boss by collecting all of the emeralds?

if you use the level select code you can go straight to the final boss, but that doesn't give you the emeralds. you'll win the fight, you'll see tails, but then you'll get the bad ending

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

seiferguy posted:

I was never great at fighting games, but man I remember fighting Eyedol in Killer Instinct that was a cheap motherfucker. gently caress up and he snags you in a combo (and combo breakers were hard to pull off in that game), then he sends you flying and while you're immobilized he stomps to gain his health back.
All the computers in KI were cheaters, at least on the SNES version. It wasn't a very fun game.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

All the computers in KI were cheaters, at least on the SNES version. It wasn't a very fun game.

i had a lot of fun with it

git gud, scrub

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hope I’m not the first to mention the final boss of Jet Force Gemini who is literally impossible to beat if you don’t pick up enough tri-rocket upgrades for Juno because upgrades are character specific.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Randaconda posted:

i had a lot of fun with it

git gud, scrub
I could not git gud. It beat me. I don't think I mastered more than the wolf guy's most basic combos.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

I could not git gud. It beat me. I don't think I mastered more than the wolf guy's most basic combos.

I played mainly as Jago and man my left thumb hurt like hell after playing sessions with that game.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I really love Legacy of the Wizard, but the bosses are not very good.

e: also the last boss of Final Fantasy 3 which only has one move. :witch:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
literally every boss in fester's quest, and beyond that the whole game really

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

stuffed crust punk posted:

literally every boss in fester's quest, and beyond that the whole game really

That game was just painful to play. Like, not bad as such, but seemingly designed to irritate. A primary weapon that gets smaller and weaker the less health you have, a large plodding main sprite that is hard to defend from enemies even at full health, rare health drops requiring farming of enemies, constant confusing teleport mazes, hopeless maps, so many things that just needed a bit of tweaking to fix.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catellite posted:

That game was just painful to play. Like, not bad as such, but seemingly designed to irritate. A primary weapon that gets smaller and weaker the less health you have, a large plodding main sprite that is hard to defend from enemies even at full health, rare health drops requiring farming of enemies, constant confusing teleport mazes, hopeless maps, so many things that just needed a bit of tweaking to fix.

Like a month more of development would have turned Fester's Quest into a pretty good game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's a romhack of Fester's Quest that makes it so you can shoot through walls and your weapons don't downgrade when you get hit which probably makes it a lot more tolerable to play

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2592/

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fester is just kind of an unattractive protagonist, why didn't they make it Gomez at least?

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's a romhack of Fester's Quest that makes it so you can shoot through walls and your weapons don't downgrade when you get hit which probably makes it a lot more tolerable to play

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2592/

Oh sorry, I was confusing Festers Quest for the The Addams Family Values, the SNES zelda-ish one also starring Fester. Now I'm just baffled that there were at least two games about Fester.

Shibawanko posted:

Fester is just kind of an unattractive protagonist, why didn't they make it Gomez at least?
Gomez was the hero of the surprisingly-good platformer game for the first Addams movie, IIRC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The BOX Robot in Metroid Fusion was real bad but I love the rest of that game, even the spider boss.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Catellite posted:

Gomez was the hero of the surprisingly-good platformer game for the first Addams movie, IIRC.

I've played that one but I have really mixed feelings about it, it has pretty wonky jumping and it just kind of plays like a europlatformer, I did kinda enjoy how open it is though, you feel like you're in this big environment with lots of secrets to find.

As for Fester's Quest,

I can't decide whether this boxart makes me want to play the game or not. He looks like he's taking a painful poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have a lot of nostalgia for that first Addams Family game on SNES because when I went to Northern Ireland to visit my dad's family for the first time when I was 8, my cousins had a SNES and that was one of the games we played the most. I also remember thinking the European SNES looked way cooler and was upset we didn't get the controller with the colored buttons. We also stayed up really late playing Mega Man 2 and almost beat it

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Shibawanko posted:

As for Fester's Quest,

I can't decide whether this boxart makes me want to play the game or not. He looks like he's taking a painful poo poo.

Considering he seems to be lit from below I'm guessing he found another orifice to do the light bulb trick with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The BOX Robot in Metroid Fusion was real bad but I love the rest of that game, even the spider boss.
I don't remember that boss at all, when does it appear? Although come to think of it, I think I just remember the spider and Nightmare.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't remember that boss at all, when does it appear? Although come to think of it, I think I just remember the spider and Nightmare.

You fight it in PYR and then again later in NOCT. I vividly remember Nessus also because of how sharp the sound effects were, especially on a model 1 GBA. I guess that goes for Ridley-X also

AAAH! AAH! AAAAAUUGHHH

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Crystalis was a neat Zelda-like game on the NES, but I remember a few bosses that gave me a ton of trouble.

The main guy was one of the four generals or whomever you fight in the mountainous area fairly early - I think he drops one of the wind bracelets?

I think I ended up using Game Genie to get infinite magic for the healing spell.

There was a swamp insect boss who was pretty tough as well.

In Earthbound, I was underleveled and got crushed by the second-shrine boss - the Giant mole right after Happy Happy Village.
Ended up skipping the shrine entirely until you get the teleport later, when of course, it is piss easy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No mention that the bosses in Crystalis were level-gated in order to progress? Meet the minimum level or do no damage at all. That is just bad game design.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Scalding Coffee posted:

No mention that the bosses in Crystalis were level-gated in order to progress? Meet the minimum level or do no damage at all. That is just bad game design.

Welcome to Anti-Blockbuster game design.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

BexGu posted:

I think it was Lion King where Disney made the developers have a pixel perfect jump in level 2 so you couldn't beat the game as a rental.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cirus posted:

I think it was Lion King where Disney made the developers have a pixel perfect jump in level 2 so you couldn't beat the game as a rental.

Is that the I Just Can't Wait to Be King level with the monkeys and giraffes? gently caress that level

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People always talk about how much they hate that level but I owned the game as a kid and never thought it was particularly hard. I can still run through that level flawlessly today on SNES, maybe it's just because I was a kid and trial and error didn't bother me yet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BexGu posted:

I would expect grinding to be integral to NES games. I don't know if 7th Saga counted since that seems more virulent hatred towards the consumer. You do have Silhouette Mirage and the incredible grind it introduced.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't the Japanese version of 7th Saga way easier?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BexGu posted:

when i was a kid i remember having a mental list of games that did crap like that so that i would never rent them again. games where you could have the thrill of real progression over your 2-3 day rental were the poo poo, even if i never beat them

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't the Japanese version of 7th Saga way easier?

Yeah. iirc there were two key changes:

1) Enemies got their stats buffed. Some by crazy amounts, but idr any highlights.

2) The player got a nerf. In Elnard (JP 7th Saga) every 10 levels PCs are supposed to get an increase in their stat growth which adds up over time. This was removed in 7th Saga. However when you recruit or fight your fellow apprentices/allies their stats are calculated with this stat growth in mind. Your allies don't get the boosted values when they actually level up though. You're also required to fight at least two apprentices in the game, but given how almost most of the enemies got a buff it isn't a big hurdle.

One apprentice is a healer and as an ally learns a single target full HP & MP healing spell. Thankfully his AI will never use it, it's an internet myth that he can just infinitely stall you out with this spell afaik.

It's been ages so I could be wrong about some/all of this, except the enemy buff part. Enemies got hella buffed.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I had a friend who got soft locked at this boss cause of the usual 1 save file and under leveled.

I think I got stuck at the execution battle for a while and after that started 2 save files just in case. Worked like a charm.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Scrublord Prime posted:

Yeah. iirc there were two key changes:

1) Enemies got their stats buffed. Some by crazy amounts, but idr any highlights.

2) The player got a nerf. In Elnard (JP 7th Saga) every 10 levels PCs are supposed to get an increase in their stat growth which adds up over time. This was removed in 7th Saga. However when you recruit or fight your fellow apprentices/allies their stats are calculated with this stat growth in mind. Your allies don't get the boosted values when they actually level up though. You're also required to fight at least two apprentices in the game, but given how almost most of the enemies got a buff it isn't a big hurdle.

One apprentice is a healer and as an ally learns a single target full HP & MP healing spell. Thankfully his AI will never use it, it's an internet myth that he can just infinitely stall you out with this spell afaik.

It's been ages so I could be wrong about some/all of this, except the enemy buff part. Enemies got hella buffed.
They also made leveling super grindy, so you won't reach level 80 or so because of the exp table capping out.
Enemy encounters were also larger than normal. I mentioned the fight with three tall Super Saiyans being the hardest encounter in the localized game and you only fought one of them at a time in Elnard.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I cheesed the battle with Darth Malak at the end of KOTOR by equipping the item that gradually replenished your HP (a visor, I think), having as many medkits as I could carry, then just running in circles with him following me - cue Benny Hill music - until my health went back up and I could withstand a hit while attacking him again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Payndz posted:

I cheesed the battle with Darth Malak at the end of KOTOR by equipping the item that gradually replenished your HP (a visor, I think), having as many medkits as I could carry, then just running in circles with him following me - cue Benny Hill music - until my health went back up and I could withstand a hit while attacking him again.
That fight is awful if you're not a Jedi Guardian. Too bad nobody ever picks the Guardian because they are boring, dumb and only good for hitting things with a lightsaber.

If you're playing a Consular, especially a light-side one, I'm pretty sure the only way to get through the Malak fight is to inject yourself with enough drugs to kill a krayt dragon and always use medkits from the inventory screen (which doesn't waste a turn). You can demolish trash mobs with your Force powers to make up for your low health and STR, but Malak will block all of that poo poo and is also able to kill you in two or three hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I don't quite remember the details, but there was a boss in FF12 that I remember starting at 1230AM and not finishing until after 4. It just had so much life. It wasn't even hard, it was just a slog.