Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yeah, the writing in PS:T was amazing. It was held back by a janky-rear end engine, but it kind of added to the weirdness at times, which was good, and also strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
One interesting thing about this game that I don't think has been addressed, although correct me if I'm wrong, is with regards to skill checks. Failing skill checks in this game, sans combat, doesn't always lead to a worse outcome and often simply leads to just something different happening.

A simple and benign example of this is the bowl that you have to shift at the very start of the game. If you fail the might check, you cut your hand on the bowl as you shift it and the blood from your wound causes the light from the bowl to turn red. Kinda neat.

There are also a couple of good examples of events in this game where failing the skill check will actually give you a better outcome or reward too.

Hard to say how much this carries over for the entire game, its common for a lot of RPGs to lose a lot of their gimmicks as they progress, but this first act is riddled with fun little differences between success and failure.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Zeniel posted:

One interesting thing about this game that I don't think has been addressed, although correct me if I'm wrong, is with regards to skill checks. Failing skill checks in this game, sans combat, doesn't always lead to a worse outcome and often simply leads to just something different happening.

A simple and benign example of this is the bowl that you have to shift at the very start of the game. If you fail the might check, you cut your hand on the bowl as you shift it and the blood from your wound causes the light from the bowl to turn red. Kinda neat.

There are also a couple of good examples of events in this game where failing the skill check will actually give you a better outcome or reward too.

Hard to say how much this carries over for the entire game, its common for a lot of RPGs to lose a lot of their gimmicks as they progress, but this first act is riddled with fun little differences between success and failure.

So the bowl example is wrong because you actually do take damage. I haven't done the rest of them really but so far I've been nonplussed.

We will have to see what goes down when I find the time to post another update.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
You take damage but next to nothing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Absorbing different remnants of the past would be an interesting way to mutate your Focus over the course of the game. Are we really just stuck with "I has a shield" forever?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Absorbing different remnants of the past would be an interesting way to mutate your Focus over the course of the game. Are we really just stuck with "I has a shield" forever?
Of course not, that would be silly and boring.

It upgrades to "I has armor".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 21, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, I'm closing the vote.

Silver Tongue: 5
Breathes Shadow: 4
Masters Defense: 1

I guess you all get to suffer through the awful dialogue with me, Silver Tongue wins!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Divine Incoherence!

When we last left our...questionably groomed heroine, we had to choose from one of three generic and unexciting abilities!

By popular demand, we became a Clever Jack with a Silver Tongue.

As soon as we pick a focus it opens a doofy mind portal.

Because there are so many portraitless yet named NPCs, I'm going to try this format for transcribing the game. Yell at me in the thread if you hate it.

Villon: Does this mean we can go back to the real world?

And then we are released from the conversation.

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

Cultists: The Deathcheater! Yay!

: Does anyone know anything useful about the Sorrow, a Resonance Chamber, or my tattoo?

Casmeen: Nope. Are you the Changing God?

: Hell yea I am.

Casmeen: If this were a Bioware game we'd be loving like rabbits.

Mimeon: Really? You're the Changing God?

: Yup.

Mimeon: Well, the real Changing God could....fix that clock over there. Yup. Go!

: Do you remember those three memories from the tutorial? Yes? Good. Now go back to the spooky mindspace!

: Ok, who the hell are you three?

Kamose: I'm foolish!

Divaticu: I'm a fishman!

Villon: We're here because character creation isn't done yet! You can pick one more ability once you navigate these dialogue menus! The Changing God gave you a great gift - you can have a shield, talk good, or get sneak attack like a D&D rogue! Aren't you grateful?

: This is bullshit! Callistege gets "who pierces realities" and can summon herself to powerup in combat. As the last body built to deal with the sorrow, wouldn't I have a unique ability that you guys wouldn't?

Kamose: No.

:...Fine, uh, Silver Tongue!

Divaticu: We're free!

: What have I done?

Uh oh.

It's the black sperm! Who wrote this poo poo, R Scott Bakker?

It does a doofy jump that would make Thorn Brenin proud and knocks us into the portal. I don't know why it did this, because this event triggers when you're trying to leave.

: What did happen?

:ghost: It blasted you out of that part of your mind.

: His voice is somber. "The Sorrow must be gathering its strength, taking spaces in your mind to keep you from reaching your full potential. I don't know why it doesn't just destroy you. Maybe the fragments aren't strong enough... yet."

: Are you always here?

: I found the resonance chamber, but it's broken.

If this game turns out to have the twist that the magic blue ghost who claims to be part of us is actually an external enemy I won't be shocked.

: How did activating the clock in the real world open that other fathom?

: Could other fathoms open like that?

: How do I get back again?

: If this is my mind, why don't I remember this place?

But we're not in control. We never have been in control here. Is he lying? I don't know, as I said, I'm trying to keep this a semi-blind LP.

: Is there anything to do while I'm here?

I take this option to see if he trips up.

: Tell me who you are again.

: I think I'm ready to go. Farewell.

:ghost: Oh no! The Black Demon Seed helped you do a thing you were going to do anyway!

: Got any helpful advice?

:ghost: Nope. Door's that way! Remember, this is in your mind, you're in control here, and I'm just a friendly little mental projection!

Huh. I bet our cultists have something to say, right?

: I met Kamose, Diviaticu, and Villon.

Mimeon: You sought answers about who might repair the resonance chamber. I wish I could tell you that, I truly do. We know that you built it with the aid of one of your vessels...but we don't know his - or her - name. Perhaps one of your children might know where to find him. Or her.

Note the phrasing here - we have called fire onto the altar with our successful clock repair. Instead of rounding up the priests of Baal we just want to fix a plot device to get the black sperm out of our head.

Casmeen: So who was in the clock?

: A moron, a fish dude, and a generic rogue.

Mimeon: Awww, man! Those guys suck! I guess I have to tell you now that you've proven you're a real god. We have no idea how to fix the resonance chamber, but a castoff built it. There's one other castoff in the city, a dangerous assassin named Matkina in the Underbelly. Good luck!

:I...sure, why not.

Naturally we're going to gently caress around this update and...not do that.

Anyway, we can level up now!

This is giving me flashbacks to, of all things, Dungeons and Dragons Online where to go up a level you had 5 sublevels of various perks and whatnot.

Dungeons and Dragons Online was not a good game.

We can increase out stat pools (might/speed/intellect), our edge (I think this is free energy points we get in an encounter. So with 2 might edge we'd start a smashing challenge with 2 free dots filled in), extra effort (the cap on how much of our pool we can dump) or we can improve an ability or skill.

I go for an improvement to our infuse weapon, which increases its accuracy by 15%.

While we're here, I sneak a peek at our friend Callistege.

She can teleport around and shoot transdimensional bolts. She has some kind of projectile weapon, but yes, as her focus implies her whole shebang is that her weird mirror image clones are parallel universe versions of herself.

We'll talk to her in an upcoming update, I promise.

I mistake this guy for someone else and go talk to him.

: You are exquisite as well.

Every so often we get tide changes in dialogue, which I believe is supposed to show your dominant personality? And they maybe effect the ending?

: For a moment that stretches uncomfortably, you feel the cold scrutiny of the philethis upon you. At last, it speaks again.

Philethis: It is the nature of flags to fade.

Yup. It's time for cryptic foreshadowing of...something.

: [Persuasion] Tell me about yourself.

I dump our intellect pool hard!

: Do you know anything about the Sorrow? About the resonance chamber built by the Changing God?

The Last Castoff is a video game protagonist first and foremost, and understands that when someone is spewing cryptic nonsense that means they know the plot, and not that they're just your standard mentally ill homeless person ranting about demons.

You know, if you wanted to convey a long silence maybe don't stuff it in to the same sentence as the robot speaking..

: Please - tell me about yourself in a way I can understand.

Ok, writers, that was pretty good.

: What do you want from me?

: I assume it placed me in a better position.

I assume this is foreshadowing the situation of the Changing God somehow and how we remember nothing. Is this deep? Are you tormented yet?

: What more do you want from me?

Fuuuuuuuuuck this!

: I don't know.

: Do you have any more questions for me?

:actually: this is meaningful foreshadowing, you know!

: I have no idea.

I looked up "eremite" and it means "a Christian hermit or recluse". Where is Christ?

: Do you have still more questions?

...oh, poo poo, I think I know who wrote this segment.

: You've been following me?

: Why are you so interested in my choices?

...sure, why not.

: What do your questions mean? What do you want?

: You don't know what you want.

: Farewell!

: As you step away, the philethis swivels to keep its glass face trained on you.

:psylon: Exquisite.

: Same to you, pal! Who are you?

:psylon: I am the walrus.

: Huh, sounds cryptic. Do you know what I'm supposed to be doing, or what this game is supposed to be about?

:psylon: When you saw the ending of Lost, how did it make you feel?

: Uh, what the gently caress?

:psylon: The Proper Noun is Proper, yet a Noun. Do I shadow the fore, or does the fore shadow me? Truth lies in the close of the tautology.

: What do you want from me? Do you even know?

:psylon: Nope.

: FFFFFFFFFFFFF

So I mentioned earlier I think I knew who wrote this, and I'm 99% sure it's Patrick Rothfuss. How do I know this?

This rear end in a top hat strongly reminds me of Elodin from The Name of the Wind. Now, if you haven't read it, I recommend not buying it and reading something more worthwhile, like the script for Gigli or the manual for a 1992 Toyota Camry. Elodin's role in Rothfuss's series is to be the cryptic, eccentric teacher who asks questions like "what are the seven words to make a woman love you?" and rambling on about the subconscious mind which knows the secret knowledge Elodin is trying to teach.

The secret knowledge is the magical name of the wind, which (as BravestOfTheLamps pointed out in his exhaustive Name of the Wind review) isn't a mystical new way of seeing the world but rather a weapon the protagonist of the novel turns against high school bullies.

Moving on!

Oh this ought to be good.

: What are you?

Ah, yes, better welcome our new masters!

: So you said you were the last of your kind. Why?

: You said you had to answer if I asked. Why?

: From within the helmet, you hear a grinding noise, the sound of teeth gnashing, amplified. Then, the voice again, bleak. "We sat at the river's edge and we wept for the time that was. We saw nothing more to conquer, and yet our fears still drove us. We had conquered the land, purged its impurities, made it ours. Still we wanted more. When we heard that humans had come to carve a home, we rejoiced to have a new foe, a new test of our truth. We rode against them."

: Can you tell me about the nano who trapped you here? How did he stop you?

: The Genocide raises his hands in defeat. "He found old knowledge and made it his own. He created defenses that we could not penetrate. Most telling, most effective-the shield generators. He created three barriers around the heart of the city, and the last unmoored the city in time. When our constructs touched it, they flashed to stasis. We could not reach the city...but the city could reach us."

This actually has a much better literary inspiration than our robot buddy, but "flashed to stasis" makes me cringe.

: Let the memory come.

: It's a patchy memory, coming in still images and moments - the relentless beat of the war machines as they approached the city, the reavers in the sky on their dirigibles...

: You seem very calm for someone who has been imprisoned for centuries.

: He leans in closer. "I do not die. I cannot be wounded. I am held like a beetle in sap. Why would I not be... serene?"

: He settles back. "The Underspine spoke of my destiny."

: How did they stop you from trying to escape?

The Genocide: The nano who raised the city's shields created a device. He called it the Mindseer. With it he violated my mind, my memories, and everything that was at the core of my being. In a fit of vengeance, he tore truths from me. He made me betray my people. He rewrote my mind. He gave me perfect clarity into the past, and gelded my ability to shape the future.

It's a curse, got it.

: The nano who defeated you was the Changing God. He and his children still live.

: His voice is flat and dead. "Others have claimed this. I do not know if they say this to torment me. But if our enemy was a god, even if he was once but a man, then to stand against him is to spit in the face of the divine. The Tabaht were a holy people. Humans do not believe it, but our rites were as sacred to us as they were profane to you. We accepted the will of the ineffable.

: You mentioned the Tabaht. Who or what were they?

But wait! Isn't literally owning your god spitting in the face of the divine?

: You mentioned the names of some Tabaht. Can you tell me about them?

: Why did the Tabaht fight so much?

So...free will is only good if you choose to give it up, got it.

: Can you tell me more about the Underspine?

The Genocide: Our slave, our god, our prize. It kept us holy, kept us pure and unchanging, anchored to a fixed point. The world turned around us, but we remained constant. When the world brought inconstancy, we fed it blood.

: What was the Underspine?

So the Tabaht had a robot city that made them worship it as a god and it sent them out to kill people. These are the guys from the tutorial flashback who were attacking the Changing God's city - this city of Sagus Cliffs, which we are in right now.

: What are the benefits of an absolute path?

This is literally just the "benefit" of being able to claim you were just following orders at the Nuremberg trials.

: What happened to the Underspine?

: You can hear the frown in his voice. "Sabotage. Or failure. One of those under my command told me that it had whispered defeat into his ears, as if it had sickened, lost sight of the true path. Given the question, the Underspine denied this. My soldier was cast out, and I suffered the barb for his doubt. It was later, years later, that the Underspine broke. After our failure. And I have never been sure if the seeds for our defeat were planted in those days.

: If your path was unbending, it's no wonder you broke.

: Let me ask about something else.

: You mentioned the shield generators. Can you tell me about them?

The Genocide: I told you their effect. They unmoored the city in time. They severed our supply lines. They left us vulnerable, and defeated us. The Underspine's strategy failed us. I began to doubt.

: He shifts slightly. "The generators are unused, abandoned, their purpose forgotten. Though the people of this city still swear by our name, and our terrors are fresh in their nightmares despite the passage of centuries, they have forgotten the means of their salvation.

: I have no more questions. Farewell.

: Who are you?

:moreevil:: I am the Genocide, bound here for eternity to answer the questions of passing travelers.

: What? Why? How?

:moreevil:: I am the last of the Tabaht, a warlike species who concluded that thinking was just too hard so we made a robot we called God do it. A long time ago we attacked this city because our God commanded it and we wished to test ourselves against you. Unfortunately a powerful nano destroyed our legions, trapped me here, and exterminated my people and our god in revenge. Anyway, at least I'm immortal and can watch all these fucks die.

: That sounds suspiciously like the Changing God, and he and his completely unrelated children are still alive.

:moreevil:: Well, then I guess I had it coming, because if he's a god he doesn't have to follow any kind of law. Man, I remember my god. It was great and did all the thinking so I didn't have to. Then the Changing God kicked its rear end, and I began to doubt. That makes me sad.

: How the hell did your people survive in the wild?

:moreevil:: gently caress you. Also, there is a shield generator powering that clock that those "deathcheater" morons keep talking about. I'm friggin immortal and that hot Casmeen chick won't even look at me! I hate this place, but this generator keeps me imprisoned and no one knows about it.

: Cool, bye.

So I'm being flippant because the prose is long and could be written better, but there's some actual literary meat here that actually does a pretty good job characterizing the Changing God. You could write this off as a stupid sci-fi version of parading prisoners through the city before execution, but there's a bit more of a literary basis than that.

Tolkien's Silmarillion posted:

Therefore Húrin was brought before Morgoth, for Morgoth knew that he had the friendship of the King of Gondolin; but Húrin defied him, and mocked him. Then Morgoth cursed Húrin and Morwen and their offspring, and set a doom upon them of darkness and sorrow; and taking Húrin from prison he set him in a chair of stone upon a high place of Thangorodrim. There he was bound by the power of Morgoth, and Morgoth standing beside him cursed him again; and he said: 'Sit now there; and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come upon those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, Master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shalt thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.'

And even so it came to pass; but it is not said that Húrin asked ever of Morgoth either mercy or death, for himself or for any of his kin.

Now, Morgoth aka Melkor is Tolkien's take on Milton's Satan. Both are prideful and convinced that they deserve to rule in place of God, and both rebel against God and are cast out. Really, they're the same character except Milton's Satan tempts Adam and Eve out of spite, while Melkor twists God's creations in a vain attempt to create never realizing that true creation is beyond him. While we're on this topic, let's take a look at the codex entry for the Changing God.

The Tabaht:

So, yes, the Changing God was once a simple man who found a way to become immortal and mastered ancient technologies. The game is nominally asking "what does one life matter" but currently the more intriguing question it's dragging out is "what does it mean to be a god?" The Changing God creates life from nothing. Does that make him a god, or merely someone playing with tools he barely understands?

Unfortunately this discussion is rudely interrupted by incoherent "worldbuilding." The Tabaht Underspine is nothing more than an AI that is somehow God and slave (huh? What?) that they freely abdicate their free will to serve (sure) that is nothing more divine than the rear end in a top hat computer we tricked into giving us a grenade.

Unfortunately, looking it up, the Genocide cannot join our party which is a drat shame as he is literally the most interesting part of this game so far.

Oh well. I will assuage my sadness by talking with this random guy.

Jesus Christ! We're right back to the boring physical description of things that could be animated, but won't be. Giving these characters portraits would do a lot to avoid this.

: You seem nervous.

: What do you know about the creature over there?

The game suddenly remembers Callistege is in our party.

: You're planning something, aren't you?

Oh, is he a worshipper of "the Deathcheater" too?

: You'll set it free?

: You want me to kill it for its brain? Isn't that murder?

: This sounds too easy. I just walk up, plant the device on the creature's cage, and activate it?

: All right. Give me the device, and I'll see what I can do.

Alright! We just scammed some dumb guy out of his teleport device! I'll be putting whether or not we do the quest or I try to find a way to gently caress him over to a vote.

:ninja:: Yo don't talk to me, I'm not suspicious. Oh wait, you're an RPG protagonist. Do you mind sticking this teleporter on that robot in the glass there and teleporting it out so we can murder it and steal its brain?

: Why not.

Anyway, that homeless kid told us that this guy was being tortured to death.

This guy has a real name, as opposed to the hordes of "horrified man" and other generic people making up this crowd.

: What kind of help do you need?

: Who are you?

: Why is your friend being executed?

: But you did, right?

: If you were part of the scheme, why aren't you up there with him?

: Why are you helping Ris?

: I want to talk to your friend.

: All right, forget it.

: What's your plan?

: This sounds like an extremely risky plan.

: Would it be simpler to talk to the crowd at the execution? Convince them to rise up and free Ris?

The Last Castoff, ladies and gentlemen. "What if I started a revolution to free a guy who was part of a treasonous conspiracy?"

: Where can I find the Council Clerk?

: Alright, I'll help you.

: Excellent! Then you will need a proper story and a badge of office. Fortunately, I have the first and you can buy the second from Sangolin, the clothing merchant in Government Square.

: He folds his arms. "Once you have a badge of office, you will tell the Council Clerk you are from the Judicial Oversight Committee, looking into corruption in the commutation of capital sentences. The stay you're asking for is that of a notorious gangster named Col Cardin, who was mysteriously set free a few years ago."

: Thanks I could use the help.

: It will be my pleasure, but let's hurry. There's not a moment to lose. Ris hasn't much time.

Tybir, incidentally, is a Cagey Jack who knows how to take care of himself.

: Yo wanna help me break my friend out of execution? He's in there for the treason I committed!

: What does this entail?

: Oh, nothing much. Just you and your extremely distinctive tattoo impersonating a government official. Hell, that last guy recognized you as a castoff on sight so this shouldn't be a problem.

: Eh.....

: Oh, and I'll join your party.

: Sold!

Decisions lie before us!

Which of these sidequests should The Last Castoff attempt? And should she help the questgiver or turn them in?

If you know any cool alternate routes you want to see vote for those suckers in spoiler tags.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 22, 2020

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
LP Convergence never stops starting

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Betray the guy who wants to kill the squid, because my sympathy lies with anyone who hasn't talked our ear off yet.

Help the guy who's being tortured because this entire town is awful and anyone trying to betray them is sympathetic.

Also your annoyance with Patrick Rothfuss and his writing is pretty hilarious, I enjoyed that aside. :v:

That said, the Philetris seems like a shoddy knockoff of PS:T's caretakers of Sigil, the Dabus, who only communicate in rebuses.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
let's bust the poo poo out of this hosed up torture execution

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 23, 2019

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Save the treason man

Free the squid

Cephalopods are too cool to be caged.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Sure, let's go buy a forged badge of office of dubious quality from a black market merchant, then go impersonate a justicar into giving us an old stay of execution writ, that we're going to cross out "Col Cardin" and write "Ris" on, and then show it to the executioner and say "Yes sir, everything's all hunky-dory, nothing underhanded going on here, no need to check into this writ, let this man go!" Oh, and fingers crossed on nobody recognizing the unique tattoo ON MY FACE that calls me out as having once been a vessel of the Changing God! What could possibly go wrong?!

See? Already our minds are becoming one!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I feel like freeing the squid robot will just result in the squid robot trying to kill us as it appears to be bright day. Is there a time system in Numera? Can we wait until night and talk to it? Give us more dialogue!

Let's put that Silver Tongue use and get the crowd to rise up!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I feel like freeing the squid robot will just result in the squid robot trying to kill us as it appears to be bright day. Is there a time system in Numera? Can we wait until night and talk to it? Give us more dialogue!

Let's put that Silver Tongue use and get the crowd to rise up!

There isn't a time system, but there is a way to make it night time. At least in that area, although I think we might not be able to, since we're bullshitting the cult of the changing god.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I actually backed this game during its Kickstarter and have yet to actually play through more than the first part of the tutorial since it causes my drat ancient laptop to freak out and shut down. Nice to know that i'm still not missing much.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

let's bust the poo poo out of this hosed up torture execution

I'm interpreting this as a vote for riot.

Anyway, looks like we are going to cause a big riot to free this guy!

What's the worst that could happen?

Voting is still open for squiddy.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Voting is still open for squiddy.

save the squid

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Easy-Bake Riot In Four Simple Steps!

When we last left The Last Castoff and her band of wacky weirdos, they were going to go through with an extremely stupid forgery plan to free a guy about to be accused of treason.

Fortunately goons intervened and decided we should start a riot instead.

Maybe this horrified man will help us?

: What exactly is happening here?

: Why is everybody watching this?

: The horror of it will deter others from crime.

We have to say this to proceed. This never works IRL because many criminals are characterized by poor impulse control and a belief they will never get caught, but what do I know?

: What if I joined you? Together we could give the city authorities what they deserve.

Let's use our undeniable sex appeal from that awful haircut and the silver tongue three randos in an MC Esher painting helped us discover!

: [Persuasion]: You said the punishment should not be allowed. Did you mean it? Can a just man stand by when injustice is the law?

UGH FINE GAME

We have two companions I can drain for this.

Yiss! The man then starts screaming "let him go" and we can continue on our merry way.

: Why is everybody watching this?

: If you find it depressing, why are you watching it?

: You stopped because you want to do something. You want to be the one to make a difference.

: I've seen you watching the crowd. You outnumber the levies four to one. They just need a leader.

That makes two. If we have two leaders the crowd won't riot apparently.

Maybe we should talk to this intrigued woman.

"Alexa is the future of innovation". At this point I start skipping the "what's going on" text because do we really need it?

: What if I told you he was innocent?

: Even if that were true, it is wisdom gained through another man's pain. Can that even be called wisdom?

: As important as an innocent man's life? Help me save him. Wisdom can be gained without harming another.

Excellent!

At this point I realize I have incited three rioters and nobody is rioting. I try to speak to the levy.

He won't let me pass, but he tells me that he serves the "Slave Families" and that if I want to pass I have to go talk to the overseer. Ok.

Let me know if you really need the dialogue, but I'm going to start cutting dialog with incidental characters.

Talking to the overseer! At this point I'm under the impression that I need to start a fight on the platform to get a riot going. As it turns out, I'm wrong and this is a complete waste of time.

: I want to talk to Ris.

: [Deception] Please. He's my father. I must speak to him before he dies.

I have Tybir burn his intellect pool for us.

: Can you hear me, Ris?

Ris: We make love upon shards of shattered marble. We laugh at the kiss of the wind.

: I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Go away JJ Abrams! Go away!

: Ris? Are you in there?

: I still don't understand.

Ris:The white! The white! Nothing will kill us! Nothing will devour the world!

We can repeat it but he just laughs maniacally. We're done here.

I wonder what this guy has to say? I'm sure it's pleasant.

: Try to stop it.

This is a terrible idea, but at the time I thought it would spark the great riot of...whenever the hell this is.

gently caress.

: Let the vision continue, though you know it will bring more pain.

: Black tendrils snake from the darkness, and you flee into the tunnels, ignoring the others' shouts. You have to get back to the base camp, back to the failsafe. It's the only way to save your self. As long as you can reach it, you're safe. The shell might die, but your mind will live on.

: The tendrils gain on you. The whispers fill your head. You slam into a wall and stagger off again, dazed. Was this the way? Have you gone wrong?

Nope! I then realize there's one more <adjective> <person> in the crowd and go talk to them.

: Do you truly care if he's a traitor? Or do you just like watching men tortured to death?

: Then I'd think you'd be interested in making sure the real traitor gets caught.

: [Deception] This poor fool took the fall for somebody else. That's a mockery of Sagus pride. We should free him!

Git smart, scrub!

Oh poo poo!

: The levies edge back, their normally pleasant expressions turning into uncertain frowns. The overseer points directly at you.

: "I saw what you did, you rabble rouser! This is your doing! Well, I'm not risking my life to intervene in the fate of a worthless piece of belly trash! If you want him, take him!"

This actually isn't a particularly well armed or large crowd. The levies could probably take all...8 or so...people, seeing as they have weapons and can command that death-of-ris thing that kills people on contact. Oh well!

: "There!" cries the overseer to the crowd. "Satisfied?"

: With that, he and the levies turn and march away as the crowd surrounds the platform and cheers.

Just how weak is this government, holy poo poo!

: Hey, remember when you said not to do a riot because that would piss off the government? Well, let's do a riot, Tybir!

: Hey people, this man is innocent! It's very, very bad to execute innocent people, and you should do a riot instead!

:aaaaa: :bahgawd: :biglips:: Justice! Riot! WOOOOOOO!

: poo poo, they're not rioting. Hey overseer dude, can I get on that platform?

:cop:: Why the hell would I let you do that?

: Despite this obvious tattoo marking me as an artificial life-form created by the changing god, I'm going to tell you Ris is my...dad...yes...because you are an NPC in a video game with diplomacy mechanics.

:cop:: Sure, why not?

: Hey, Ris, how's it going? Blink twice if you want us to start a riot.

:confuoot:: I mumble jargon at the apex of the shadow. I am insane, but is sanity in the eye of the beholder, or in the beholder of the eye? I DO COCAIIIIIINE!

: gently caress it, I'll touch the "death" guy.

:hb:: Take damage for flashback!

: Ow. Why are they not rioting? Oh, hey, guy, did you want to riot?

:freep: gently caress YES!

:aaaaa: :bahgawd: :biglips::freep:: RIOT WOO SMASHING!

:cop: gently caress this, I'm out.

: Yay!

Let us talk with our new friend.

: He chokes with emotion. "A whole day, Tybir. I spilled my guts up there for a whole day!"

: Calm down, both of you. Ris, tell it from the beginning.

We certainly don't know anyone else who would do that, say, by inciting a riot to free a convicted traitor.

: How would the Devourer of Wrongs know that Tybir was involved?

Fun fact: The Dendra O'Hur made it into the game as a kickstarter goal for 3.1 million dollars.

: Who are the Dendra O'Hur?

: What was the job?

Ris: Tybir said we were transporting black market booze to M'ra Jollos. But he didn't tell me that he'd hidden state secrets in one of the bottles using some liquid numenera trick... which turned a slap-on-the-wrist crime into a damned death sentence!"

: "Death sentence?" Tybir says, with an uneasy grin. "You're alive, aren't you?"

: The Devourer would have found you guilty, Tybir? Is this true?

: As far as it goes. He would have learned about me if he had eaten Ris, and I did manage to escape the levies when they showed up looking for us, but I didn't abandon you, lad!"

: He puts his hand to his heart. "Ris, I escaped the levies and saved you from the Devourer of Wrongs because I love you and did not want to see you die. You have to believe me."

: I'm with Ris on this, Tybir. You should make amends to him. He's the one who has suffered here.

: Ris, you don't know what you're talking about. I never got paid, I promise you.

Ris: Thanks for the save. Now where's my money, Tybir?

: I, uh, never got paid. Yup. You gotta believe me.

Ris: Bullshit! You just broke me out because the Dendra O'Hur would have learned that you did it!

: The who? I'm sorry, everyone and their mom has been dumping proper nouns on me ever since I fell out of a space station.

Ris: Cannibal cultists who eat people to learn their memories. It's how the city determines if you were truly guilty.

: Huh. So you just didn't want your guilt to get out, Tybir?

: I, uh, love you Ris and didn't want you to die. You have to believe me!

: Sounds to me like this is on you, Tybir.

Ris: I saw your character sheet, you selfish motherfucker!

Moving on! Anyway, we've pissed off the government so I'm gonna take a nap now. That's how this works.

If you scam the Cult into believing you're the actual Changing God, you can sleep there for free. If you don't, they charge you money.

I guess I can forgive "Deathcheater".

Instead of messing with the squid, I go talk to this guy. He is rallying a crowd to...do something.

: He smiles. "All you have to do is be the first to find the rogue stichus that's been terrorizing Cliff's Edge. Return here and tell me precisely where it is and I'll take it from there."

: Can I ask you more about the stichus and its kind?

: What exactly is a stichus?

: What else can you tell me about the rogue stichus you're looking for?

: Why is Cliff's Edge so afraid of this stichus?

Lord Vuntgen: Some will tell you it's because this district has suffered the most from the sticha's digging...houses collapsing on the people, others falling into the sea. There's some truth to that. But the real reason is that the people here have become weak and afraid. They aren't prepared to face adversity.

: The people aren't weak. They only need someone to lead them, to inspire them toward a common goal.

These sidequests are all going to be variants of the trolley problem, aren't they?

: I have other questions about the sticha.

: How did the sticha come to be in Sagus Cliffs?

: Can I ask you something else?

: I'm looking for an albino woman, an assassin named Matkina. Do you know her?

...you're going to ask this in public?

: Tell me about yourself.

: Who are the slave families?

Chila the Great?

No! Go away! We don't need any more cryptic bullshit!

: What can you tell me about Cliff's Edge?

: Farewell.

:chaostrump:: Behold! A hero is among us to destroy the stichus!

: I can't even just walk down the street without people throwing new nonsensical proper nouns at me, can I? Fine, what's a stichus?

:chaostrump:: Some kind of alien or demon. It likes to dig holes...evil holes, that collapse houses! That is why I am here in the poor district, trying to rally these poor people. I am very rich, you know.

: How did an evil hole digging alien demon get here?

:chaostrump:: It doesn't matter. What matters is that the people need an enemy, and that will make them strong. Now they are weak poors unable to handle adversity, unlike me, a hereditary noble in the far future. Who is John Galt?

: What if instead of inventing stupid bullshit about an alien wizard demon, you actually provided real leadership?

:chaostrump:: That is dumb. These poors just need an enemy to grab their own bootstraps. You gonna kill this thing or not?

: I'll think about it.

We go north and run into this guy. He hates being laughed at so he's gonna go to the cyborg clinic(!) we're at the entrance to. He also doesn't want to talk to us because we're a woman, and women laugh at him. You're welcome.

Riveting. Anyway, maybe we can get some sweet poo poo?

: Hey, the day's young.

He must be horny for our sexy, sexy haircut.

: I can't help noticing that you're a very honest man.

: How did you come to own this parlor?

: "It was originally a partnership," he says. "My colleagues and I spent two years digging it out and getting the whole mess working."

: He sighs. "Of course, we had to test the drones before we tried them on anyone else. Customers getting skinned alive on opening day is bad for business. Turns out that was a wise move."

: Show me your list of items and services.

The game tries and fails to emulate Jack Vance with clever dialogue, so I'm just gonna list the collection of crap we can get. We can afford none of it right now, but I'm hoping we can get it all eventually.

Clawed Gauntlets: Wolverine claws. Specifically, we do 4 more damage with unarmed attacks. I have no idea why we would want to fight unarmed.

Jagged Memory: A "mesh that fuses through your skin, leaving jagged marks like tattoos. When you attack, you'll always hit your enemy's old wounds, even if... er, they weren't there before." I have no loving idea what this means. The wiki says it's...wait for it...+1 relativistic damage on melee attacks. Way to oversell it, game.

The Encroaching Darkness: A living creature that "could be good, could be bad, could be both." that gets implanted in our body. gently caress this. The wiki said it gives us...a 1/day 8 point heal that burns our action in combat. Really. Christ, these are uninspired.

For the record, nanos can just take...healing spells. We can make Cal heal us.

Blood Nanites: Nanites in our blood that purge toxins and diseases. In game mechanics terms, that's DoT immunity. This might actually be worth it?

Numenera Analyzer: Lets us identify poo poo. Specifically, we get a +5% bonus on various lore checks.

Artificial Eyeball: The game says it will help us find things normal eyes miss. This translates to...a +1 perception boost.

Christ, what a failure. You have an actual cyborg upgrade lab, and all you sell is boring passive bonuses. Well, at least we get this dialog when we ask how painful the procedures are!

Ha ha. Very funny. We leave.

I was going to have a vote on what to buy, but I'm probably going to grab the Blood Nanites and the Jagged Memory and leave the rest of this poo poo alone.

gently caress you!

I'm cutting the update here because it's late over here. Join us next time as we maybe learn kung fu!

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Save the Squid - bust it out for a rampage, if possible
REVOLUTION - or at least a riot

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It turns out you can be horribly tortured for a full day and, after the executioner is interrupted... be mildly annoyed at the guy that sent you there and didn't even give you your cut of the money. Really stellar writing there.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I Don't Know Kung Fu

When we last left our heroine she left the cyborg lab in disgust at how boring all the options were.

Let's talk to this kung-fu man instead! This is going to be a shorter update as it's the stuff I didn't have time to post last night.

: Where did you learn to fight like that?

: You're very fast.

: Yes.

I see the dark forces of anime survive into the far future.

: "I'm not surprised. I must look like a lunatic," he says, before spearing his opponent's jugular with three fingers. "Kanthid Thrust! It helps me focus my breathing. My strength and will. It reminds me of how weak I once was... and how strong I've become."

: "Years ago, I was a starving beggar. I managed to steal a wedge of pie crust and was terrified that someone else would take it from me. So I hid inside that metal structure over there to enjoy my feast. Bite of the Hidden Queb! he says, clawing his enemy's eyes.

: "The stale crust crumbled into pieces between my eager fingers. And something strange happened. They drifted toward the ground like the softest of snowflakes. I was able to pluck each of them from the air before they fell."

: I'll bet I'm faster than you.

Why not?

: [Initiative, Quick Fingers] Block the punch and strike back.

We are fast!

: I'm ready for the next part of your test.

: [Initiative, Quick Fingers] Parry and counterattack. He won't see it coming.

Oh hell yes!

: Well? Have I passed all your tests?

: Yes.

: [Initiative, Quick Fingers]: Fist of the Last Castoff!

Now, the more astute readers will remember I picked up an ability to auto-pass quick fingers tests. "No, I don't need it, I say." How bout that flex skill? Nope. I got plenty of speed pool left and some cultists with a cot.

FUUUUUUUU

We get kicked back to the Tutorial Zone with the blue ghost.

He doesn't have much else to say so we go through the same portal and -

What the gently caress?

: Open your eyes.

: At first glance, it would be easy to assume that the old man is dying of some wasting disease - or starvation. He is little more than a too-tall skeleton wrapped in translucent flesh and a tattered robe. His hands are essentially bony claws.

: And yet...he beams at you, his sunken eyes glittering with suppressed laughter and feverish life.

: Bat his hand away.

So we were able to give a kung-fu master with enhanced speed a pretty good fight, but we can't hit a creepy old dude. Ok.

: "Old Cirisa once saw you out of the corner of her eye. A week before his accident. Ulori-mar sold you a small bag of.." he breathes, closing his eyes. "Sugar-dusted almonds. But those aren't the only two. No. You drift through countless lives, altering and ending them. Never leaving a name! Never dying!.

: He draws in his breath. "Oh, I can't stand mysteries. Love them, but can't stand them. And so, I must ask you for a simply unthinkable favor.

Sweet! I need money to hit up the cyborg lab!

: Sharing knowledge? Yes, go ahead.

These guys are the Dendra O'Hur corpse eater cult from last update.

This might not have been the best idea, goons.

: "Now, if you happen to have another... er, semi-fatal accident, rest assured that we will bear you back to our chapel as tenderly as a bag of baby birds."

: He pats your hand gently. "And you have my word that we won't take as much as a nibble without your permission."

Dammit Callistege. We should figure out if this guy got anything cool from us, like the schematics for a rail cannon or disintegrator rifle.

: What did you learn from eating my flesh?

: "Quite a bit" he says, cheerily, then grimaces. "Too much, in fact. Your immortal flesh proved slightly too rich for some of my children."

: He pats his belly. "I have quite a bit more experience - and fortitude - than them, however. For me, it is merely overwhelming rather than, er, explosive."

No, dammit, not exposition!

: Share a vision with me.

: "Of course," he says, and closes his eyes. Teetering gently, he draws a long, smooth breath.

I want my two hit points back. Having learned nothing, I ask him for another one.

: Share another vision with me.

: Imbitu closes his eyes and begins to speak.

: "He regrets the first one he leaves behind. The next... less so. Soon they are falling like leaves to be crunched underfoot, and by then, he has begun telling himself it is not only necessary but good."

I assume this refers to the castoffs?

Anyway, we also got a viscera sprig.

:toot:

Join us next time as we maybe really learn kung-fu, talk to Cal, and deal with Mr Squid!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
:stare: Well that was horrifying.

...I don't even really know what to say about this.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

I like stone guy, he's great

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Alright, I slammed out a run of the game today so that this is no longer a blind run.

poo poo's gonna get very stupid, folks!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Are all castoffs immortal or is this something unique?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The best far-future martial artist they could do was a generic dude in a gi? Man, really?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

The best far-future martial artist they could do was a generic dude in a gi? Man, really?

Numenara is all about taking standard fantasy tropes, substituting some words with neologisms and adding "nano", "cyber" or "interdimensional" here and there. So don't fret, it's probably a temporal gi, made by a cyber-clothier of blipdoolgoolp fabric and sold by a cock-shaped vending machine on the interdimensional market.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 4, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hypocrisy posted:

It's the same rapid regeneration that let us survive the prologue, but we will meet castoffs later who have it. Except I guess we're special? The ending is extremely dumb

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

It wouldn't be a proper ripoff of Planescape: Torment without it, you see.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding the Philetris, they are actually in the core Numenera corebook which explicitly tells the GM to make them spout as much obtuse nonsense as possible:

Numenera - Discovery posted:

PHILETHIS 5 (15)

No one knows where the tall, mysterious philethis come from. Some people think they might be the remaining inhabitants of a prior world, as they seem to have a far greater mastery of numenera than do most creatures alive today. No human has seen the entire body of a philethis and reported what they saw, but the glimpses noted to date suggest a biomechanical hybrid form. Typically what is seen is a metal and glass “face” surrounded by voluminous cloaks. Other speculation about the philethis includes claims that they are entirely robotic, they are ultraterrestrial extrusions into this world, and their “face” is actually a viewport for a creature beyond space and time. Most theories about their nature don’t even guess at what their goals or motivations might be. They appear when and where they want to, and they usually seem to observe events from a distance (although another theory suggests that they influence the events somehow).

Motive: Unknown

Environment: Anywhere

Health: 30

Damage Inflicted: 5 points

Armor: 4

Movement: Short

Modifications: Defends as level 6. Defends against mental attack as level 8

Combat: Philethis seldom engage in combat. When they do, they are likely to produce a mysterious numenera weapon—perhaps some kind of energy emitter, or maybe something of a more psychic nature that disrupts thought processes. However, because a philethis can teleport any distance, it usually just teleports away when threatened. Although unlikely to do so in combat, a philethis can also modify probability in small ways, such as making a rope break, causing a gust of wind to close a door, and so forth. They do this to manipulate events in their favor. If the manipulation affects a PC, the GM can force the character to reroll a die at any time. (It also begs for frequent GM intrusions.)

Interaction: Philethis are not automatically hostile. If engaged in conversation, they might respond in their strange, machinelike voices, speaking in the native language of whomever they talk to. However, such interchanges usually make a philethis more enigmatic rather than less. Their explanations for things rarely make sense, and the questions they ask seem unrelated to anything going on around them.

A typical philethis interaction might go as follows.

Human: Who are you and what are you doing here?
Philethis: The moon is full, and the roses will bloom in 437 hours.
Human: What are you talking about?
Philethis: When you were eleven years old and playing with that ball, why did you bounce it three times against the wall but four times against the ground?
Human: How do you know anything about when I was a child?
Philethis: The galaxies will collide soon. We must prepare.

Use: Philethis are meant to be an enigma. Players should never fully understand the creatures, and if they believe that they do, something should happen to show that they are wrong. Moreover, the PCs should find out at odd times and in odd ways that the philethis are involved—or at least appear to be involved—in surprising situations. Are they just observing, or are they manipulating events somehow? And if so, why? The quest for this knowledge could be the basis for an entire campaign.

Loot: Philethis always have 1d6 cyphers and an artifact of some kind.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Who let JJ Abrams write RPG books?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Who let JJ Abrams write RPG books?
Not enough vehicle chases and/or explosions for that.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

Sylphosaurus posted:

Not enough vehicle chases and/or explosions for that.

You sure your not thinking Michael Bay?

Abrams would just have lens flares in all the pictures.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Space Calamari - It's What's For Dinner

When we last left our heroine, she bet that she could beat a kung fu master in a fight to the death. However, because the game didn't actually want to initialize the combat engine (unlike a later, similar encounter) she got kicked in the head and died. Then she let some cannibals eat her because she's, uh, not very smart - but she got a magic intestine string that deals unresistable damage whenever she gets stabbed.

You know what? Let's just leave it at that.

We're going to come back to the cannibals later for a sidequest so I can level our...questionably styled Castoff before we leave Sagus Cliffs forever. In the meantime, let's look at this spooky corpse.

: You carefully move the shroud to the side.

: Touch the tattoo.

This tattoo is so spooky we take mental damage!

: Leave the corpse alone.

Time to run back to that kung fu dude and kick his rear end! This is the Underbelly. We'll be back.

This sucker is gonna get the beating of his life! I even activate Hedge Magic to auto-win the speed contest!

: I'm feeling better. Do you want to duel again?

: "The woman who cannot die wants to fight to the death," he says, chuckling again. "When I am tired of life, I will challenge you," he says. "But that time has not yet come."

If we beat the guy the first time we get a permanent +1 to our speed pool. My practice run did this. My practice castoff was a lot more optimized for combat than Lady Castoff here, but we will talk about that when we get here.

Aiden: Oh poo poo! She's not dead! Well, I don't want to die, so take this crappy bribe and go away.

: Awwwww.

That was disappointing. Anyway, the thread consensus was to free the squid. It turns out that if you actually fix the clock you can only free and kill the squid, so we're going to do that. Sorry squid!

The squid is not a fight I want to do with three people, so we're going to pick up this guy who is the only glaive NPC who can join our party. He is the number one reason not to pick a nano with scan thoughts, but we're not recruiting him for his intelligence (2), we're recruiting him for his skill with heavy weapons. Look, he's not the literal child written by Patrick Rothfuss, OK?

Make the hurting stop.

: How did you end up crashing the airship?

: "I'm glad you asked!" This is somewhat of an understatement. He looks ecstatic.

: "I was climbing up the cliffs to Caravanserai to see how impossible it was when I saw a star falling toward the Reef." He raises an earnest finger. "I knew, right then, that finding that star was my destiny."

: He runs his hands through his curls. "But what was I going to do? Climb down? Boring. Already did it the other way. Walk? Walk? Worse. Far worse. No fun at all."

You are extremely fortunate that you are the only character capable of wielding futuristic heavy weaponry, because listening to your prattling actively hurts.

: You're in luck. That 'falling star' was me.

: Why should I let you join me?

: Yes, I want you to join me.

: Of course you do! And I'm ready! I'm always ready!

: It's me, that wacky Erritis! I crashed this airship, and now I'm going to stand around like some kind of paste-loving moron.

: Uh, hi.

: Ohmygod I wanna have adventure I was looking for the falling star but now I am sad haha I am so whimsical and fun don't you like me?

: That was me, yes.

: LEMME JOIN PARTY WANNA JOIN PARTY

: You have a mental age of twelve...you know what, you have a large sword, and I don't mean that as an innuendo. Sure, I can always use more idiots willing to do violence on my behalf.

: YAY ADVENTURE.

I'm sure bringing him along on our adventure to...fix a blue crystal box isn't a terrible idea.

Rest assured, I'm going to have a final vote on the party before we leave the city. We have three more members to meet.

: I don't understand how all you Callisteges could even notice in that crowd of...you.

: A few thousand of eyes can't help but notice you.

Alright. Let's free this squid.

We're not selling out the lazy idiot, we're going to free the squid!

: I have some questions about your nychthemeron.

: What is a nychthemeron anyway?

: Wait. You called the creature a "he". Is it male?

I really hope this is scientific curiosity, lady.

: How did you capture the creature?

: "I suppose you could blame luck," he says. "Little early to call it 'good' or 'bad', though." His eyes seek the sky as he begins his story.

I...don't actually know what that means. Is that an eye roll? Is he turning his head to the heavens? gently caress it.

: "I was working on...well, call it a trap, in a valley through some nameless ruin. Canadu was off hunting for dinner, and I work in a daze. Always do, when I'm concentrating." A smile flits across his face.

: "Near sunset, the trap was still in pieces, and I heard Canadu roaring my name. I turned just in time to see our guest bearing down on me."

: How did you get the creature into the city?

Remember, this is the same city where you can just...start a riot to free a traitor and no one cares.

: What do you plan on doing with the nychthemeron when you're done showing it off?

: I want to ask about something else.

: I'm looking for someone who can repair a complicated device.

: I want to ask you about something else.

Bringing him back is probably not a good idea.

: I want to see the creature up close.

: [Persuasion] "That's too much. I'm the only one in line! How about 10 shins?"

Remember how we all voted to give our castoff a silver tongue?

gently caress!

Anyway we go through and pay the 25 shins.

Anyway, we can go up to the cage and do our thing!

: You approach the cage cautiously. The monster within looks like a fungal blob mated with a muscular icthyoid. Its multiple tentacles terminate in syringes, needles, and injectors. This mass sits atop - and is integrated with - a floating orb of some type. It seems to be both mechanical and biological, with one system flowing smoothly into the next, a creation from some mad nightmare.

It's right there. In the cage. We can see it. Stop it!

Anyway it was stated earlier that these guys only talk at night, so I go right to the fun part.

: [Quick Fingers, Lore: Machinery] Affix Beleazar's device to the panel.

We literally cannot fail this because we still have Hedge Magic up.

: I didn't see what happened.

: That's right, I didn't see anything.

...were you idiots really going to try to trap the Changing God with that thing?

: Nothing? You've just discovered a weakness in the cage. That's good news, if you believe in knowledge.

: "It's not so bad as all that, Canadu. At least we've learned something. Exposed a weakness, yes? Even if it's not quite the way we wanted to find out, perhaps we owe something of gratitude."

: He laughs. "But maybe that gratitude comes with time. Right now... right now, I'm furious."

: The two of them begin packing their gear, wordlessly and efficiently. El-jinto weighs the coin purse and shakes his head when Canadu looks at him.

: As the two pass you, Canadu looks like he's about to add something. He thinks better of it, laughs to himself, and spits at your feet as they pass by.

: Hey, what is that squid thing?

:350:: Oh we caught it trying to murder me. I decided, you know, I was building this cool cage to trap a god, why not try it on a robot flying squid with integrated plasma cannons? Then we thought, hey, let's bring this to the city and show it off to finance our next expedition.

: That's...an idea. Can I see it? My sexy half-bald haircut says you'll take 10 shims.

:350:: Ha ha no, you pay full price.

: Here you go. Puts teleporter on squid cage. These stupid motherfuckers have this coming.

:2bong:: Hey, where'd our squid go? What did you do to the squid?

: I didn't see what happened. I was, um...remembering my favorite Beatles songs! Yes!

:2bong:: Uh huh. Do you think I'm stupid? Now that squid is going to plasma cannon everyone to death!

: Hey, look on the bright side, you know your cage is a shoddily constructed piece of trash!

:350:: This makes me very angry. Now we'll never be able to trap the Changing God!

:2bong:: gently caress you and your stupid haircut!

Anyway, it's time for a special segment of "how stupid are these guys?"

How not to make money in the Ninth World

So these guys captured this squid-bot. Great! One of the squid-bots special properties is that it's a murderous plasma-cannon wielding death machine during the day while being a dispenser of wisdom during the night. Where do these idiots take it? To the one city in the Ninth World where it is perpetually daytime and it will forever be plasma cannoning. Ok. Why do they do this? Are they going to sell it to the Order of Truth, who might actually know how to contain it or flip it permanently to nice mode or something? No, these idiots are going to put it in the town square and charge people money to see it. Do they have a tent or something to prevent people from gawking at it for free? No.

To compound the idiocy they are planning to go up against a god, and the only god we know has a personal space station and an army of loyal robots.

These two might actually be the least intelligent characters in the game.

Whatever. Let's go fight a squid robot.

I grab this because I can sell it for money but also it's a speed based weapon. I then forget to equip it. Oh well.

: Attack the nychthemeron.

Look, if we leave it alone it's just gonna plasma cannon some kids, and the government will decide dealing with it is "too hard." Start combat!

Tybir goes first. His job is to debuff the critter. He has an attack and spell resistance debuff I want to keep up at all times because this thing hurts. Here he's feinting to increase future damage.

Erritis here is a fighter in a Monte Cook game, and thus can only meaningfully contribute autoattacks.

Squiddy blasts the squad back. The one thing you absolutely do not want to do is use any kind of provoke ability, because then it chains all the plasma shots into one character and they go down hard.

Shake that probability, girrrrrrrl! In all seriousness Callistege has a free teleport every round, which you want to use before having her attack because it powers up her spells and makes her harder to kill. Callistege is the game's nuker mage, second in damage output only to a Castoff Nano with the Breathes Shadow focus.

The yellow blur in the corner there is Callistege post-teleport. She just hit squiddy with an evasion and movement debuff, which is great because all our other characters are hitting against evasion.

This continues for a few rounds. Our castoff is low on speed, so she throws a grenade, whiffs a 100% hide chance by being instantly spotted, and then autoattacks for pathetic damage.

Rest in peace, squid. For the record, the alternate ending to this quest is to gently caress up the clock to set eternal night and then you can stuff the squid into the labyrinth in your head. Really.

Might as well go back to that shifty priest guy and get our reward.

: I have the nychthemeron's brain.

The rear end in a top hat gives us 20 shins. We spent 25 paying the worst zookeepers ever.

The Psychic Guard lets us carry more cyphers, an ability you will never care about because you have four party members who can all carry them before you seriously have to deal with cypher sickness.

Whatever. Our guys are tired from getting shot with plasma cannons, so I take a nap at the Cult of the Changing God.

To close out the update we're going to talk to our friend Callistege. She's been with us for all of two days, sadly making her our oldest friend.

: Can you tell me about Qorro?

: He's a knave and a blaggard and clever when it comes to numenera. Nothing close to myself, of course.

: "Where we are right now..." She takes a quick look around, as if sizing up your surroundings. "He's tried to kill us, hasn't he?" She shakes her head.

: What can you tell me about the Cult of the Changing God?

: Can you tell me about the Order of Truth?

: Can you tell me about the Dendra O'Hur?

: What's your story?

: What is it you hope to accomplish by traveling with me?

: So direct! I shan't be coy either, then. Your sire, the Changing God, was a nano of surpassing ability. Your search for answers is likely to cross his trail at multiple points. He must have researched the datasphere at some point, and I hope to study his work to address my own particular...situation.

: She waves her hands across her body. "I am what you might imprecisely call a nascent, cross-dimensional hivemind. What I must decide now is whether to continue this experiment."

: "My sisters, you see - they are a blessing and a curse. One moment." She addresses them. "Hush, you know it's true. I've thought it, so therefore you've thought it. We have no secrets from one another."

: She smiles thinly. "You see? Even in my thoughts we are not alone. We seek - let us call it closure of some sort. Of our association, or of our individuality."

I'm not going to lie, this is one of the few ideas from the game I find legitimately intriguing, and it's a clear analogy for something (Callistege's egotism) rather than just being a setting detail thrown in to be weird for the sake of weird.

: What can you tell me about the datasphere?

: She smiles gently. "Such curiosity! Very well. Let me indulge you." She clears her throat. "Some prior world or worlds seeded the atmosphere and near-space with a vast network of computational and informational devices. I believe the ancients used this network to communicate with each other at great distances, and perhaps across space and through dimensions. It is this latter application that especially interests me... as you might imagine."

: Where did you grow up?

: Who are all these...echoes of you?

Boo! Passive voice!

: How did you meet Aligern?

: "I suppose there's no harm in indulging you," she muses. "You've shown yourself competent in many endeavors, and this should be no different." She arranges one sleeve diffidently.

: Aligern and I met when he came to the Order of Truth, seeking help. Naturally, I was intrigued by his predicament. More so than the man." She smiles, but absently. "He had lost his family, you see, and sought their return. He had brought with him an odd frame of unknown origin that was central to his tale."

: The stuffed shirts at the Order were more interested in picking apart Aligern's story than they were in examining the frame he had brought with him. The task fell to me, so I undertook it. And for that, Aligern became enchanted with me.

This will be important later, I poo poo you not.

: Why were you and Aligern together if your relationship was so poor?

: "Guilt," she says. "For him, at least - he desperately wanted to save someone. For me, it was a matter of necessity." She sighs and shakes her head.

Callistege's Angry Breakup Speech posted:

: You are insufferable to the end, Aligern. Looking for the worst in a situation is the only way you know how to see. Do you know how long I've carried your pain for you? How much I've had to turn away from your judgmental stares? But you're right. I've had enough.

That doesn't sound like necessity. We also know Aligern wanted to find the Changing God and Callistege didn't really need to gently caress him to get his help to do that.

This will be revealed in a plot point that's on the same level of coherence as Thorn Brenin's magic jizz.

: "It was my own research that led me to this state. But despite access to a thousand worlds, I was no closer to achieving my goal, and my sisters were ever closer to plotting my annihilation." She laughs.

: You see, in an effort to extend my own life, I chanced upon versions of myself that would end it. It's true! Some of my echoes seek to become the sole survivors, or to rule over the rest.

: And so I sought a way to return to my base state, if you will. A way to control my future.

: Did you say some of your other selves want to kill you? Why?

: She is silent for several long moments.

: "I don't know," she admits. "I have tried to reason with them, but they are beyond it. But had it not been me, another version of me would have."

: She laughs. "In fact, it was a host of me that did. I am not alone in this. Across countless realities, we came together simultaneously."

: She closes her eyes briefly. "I wonder, sometimes..." She looks to you, as if searching for an answer. "Would it have been better to be one of the other Callisteges, to have no choice in the matter but to be connected, without my prior knowledge or consent? To have my memories, my secrets, bared in a thousand other realities, knowing they could never be used against me, but aware all the same that they were known?

: I have other questions, if you don't mind.

: How are you holding up?

: She raises an eyebrow and waits.

: That's all I wanted to know. Let's move on.

: Can you tell me about some of these weirdos we keep running into?

: Qorro is a moron, the Cult of the Changing God is surprisingly helpful, we still need to go to the Order of Truth, and the Dendra O'Hur are selfish assholes.

: Why are you traveling with me anyway?

: Oh, you see, these aren't mirror images. I'm actually a weird psychic bullshit thing where all my mirror universe selves are psychically linked and we can all do stuff together. Unfortunately it's getting real weird in here and I'm hoping the Changing God's research can help me either sever myself or turn all my selves into a superwoman. I used to be a cute local society woman, and now look at me - a weird hivemind of Callisteges seeking immortality!

: Uh, wow. So what's the deal with Aligern?

: He came into the Order of Truth one day and he was very sad. He wanted some help and I got assigned to it. Then he fell in love with me and wanted to gently caress and I was all "sure, why not" even though I totally didn't care about him at all for reals and don't have strong feelings toward him now. It's not like I liked him or anything, I just wanted to get to the Changing God before my alternate universe selves kill me!

: What?

: Oh, yea, some of us aren't happy about being forced into this thing and some of us want to rule the Callistege collective.

: So, uh, how are you holding up?

: You're cool.

Ugh, what a long chat. I feel like the wordcount could be cut substantially if the authors didn't fall into the trap of writing like they were directing a movie and let the dialog stand on its own.

I wish this game did the thing Tyranny did where the character models appeared on the left in the portrait slot and actually posed in tandem with the dialog these characters were saying. Seriously, you could cut so much just by cutting all of the

Callistege - "Hmm, I'm talking, aren't I?" she says.

We know she's talking! Get that out of there! You don't need the "she says"!

Ugh, sorry. Mini-rant.

Join us next time as we fight spiritual warfare for Jesus Christ!

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 5, 2020

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

to be fair, a lot of this poo poo is really zoomed-out, so more detailed descriptions are necessary at parts

anyway, you know how in every bad game, there's that one (semi-)good character that sticks out from the rest of the bullshit? honestly, callistege's that for me. her psychic bullshit thing is interesting, and I honestly like the whole "aloof and amused super-powerful party member just hanging around for the gently caress of it" trope when it pops up

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

her psychic bullshit thing is interesting, and I honestly like the whole "aloof and amused super-powerful party member just hanging around for the gently caress of it" trope when it pops up
That doesn't really apply to her, though? She's after a machine the Changing God supposedly made or found and the Castoff is her best shot at getting closer to it.

Her teleport gimmick seems interesting, though: any idea if Aligern gets something like that as well?

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

anilEhilated posted:

That doesn't really apply to her, though? She's after a machine the Changing God supposedly made or found and the Castoff is her best shot at getting closer to it.

I still get the sense that she could find other leads if she tried from her, though

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Her teleport gimmick seems interesting, though: any idea if Aligern gets something like that as well?

I'm not 100% because I mostly stuck with Callistege through my full playthrough, but Aligern gets tattoo powers that allow him to gain bonuses to an action if he repeats an action, then each successive action is more powerful. If he uses a different action, apart from moving, the chain resets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

The teleport gimmick is part of her focus. Remember those three guys we found in the clock who offered us the most generic abilities ever? Yea, instead of that Callistege got "pierces realities" which lets her do this.

Aligern as previously mentioned gets the snake tattoos that chain together actions, but didn't start with attack spells. His arc is I think about finding his family as Callistege mentioned.

I still get the sense that she could find other leads if she tried from her, though

Definitely, she's pretty well known around Sagus Cliffs and in the Order of Truth and also has literally infinite versions of herself to send out to do things. Following the Last Castoff is certainly the easier way to do it, but she's not screwed if we say no.