Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

EP 2: Dandelion owns.

His introductory scene is unbelievably funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

His introductory scene is unbelievably funny

That's a theme.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

That's a theme.

I’ve only played Witcher 3 so I knew he was funny but that was a whole nother level.

Speaking of things that surprised me having only played that game (ep 2): that sad hunchback girl is Yen?????

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve only played Witcher 3 so I knew he was funny but that was a whole nother level.

Speaking of things that surprised me having only played that game (ep 2): that sad hunchback girl is Yen?????

yes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
E2 Dandelion lmao. Very good.

This show is really easy on the eye imo.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

yeah lol

one of the things you might have missed in the games is that the fact that all sorceresses you encounter are incredibly good looking is very much not a coincidence or genre convention

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dandelion's casting proves to be :discourse:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ep 2 ”DID YOUR MOTHER gently caress A SNOWMAN??” lmaoooo

I’m sad I have to stop after this ep because this show is much better than I expected

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I've only watched the first episode, but it feels like 300. There's no ambient, natural light so everything has a weird, false/hyper-real feel to it. The swordfight at the end rules though, so idk, maybe they'll nail it?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
There I go again, just delivering exposition.

And that, children, is when I knew I loved your mother's show.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I expect Geralt to show more of his personality the more he meets his future friends.

Hell, he's already opening up [E1] talking to his BFF Roach!

I bounced off the first two games because I thought Geralt was a stiff and boring protagonist, until finally getting him when I tried the third. Similar to Reese from Person of Interest — sometimes a well-written character with a stoic and dry personality can take a little while to distinguish from a badly-written character lacking any personality at all. I think episode 1 did a good job by the end of showing that Geralt does have a personality, but I won’t be shocked if some viewers new to the IP struggle to care about him at first in the same way I did.

Enjoyed episode 1, gonna try to keep moving onward...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ep 2 done: Really drat good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought ep 2 took the focus away from Geralt a little too much but the other storylines are still good so it wasn’t a big deal really

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EP 3 seems Geralt focused again.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A key thing about the books after the short story collections, they're really Ciri's story. Once the saga proper starts in book 3, it's a relatively even split between Geralt/Yen/Ciri. Or random tangents with other characters to flesh things out.

Also episode two owns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The books don't really feel bound to follow nothing but Geralt. I'm glad they're happy to do stretches with other characters.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Ep2: Not a fan of whatever they're doing with Yen. The harry potter school for witches is kinda dumb.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JBP posted:

The books don't really feel bound to follow nothing but Geralt. I'm glad they're happy to do stretches with other characters.

:yeah:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EP 3: Foltest looks nothing like a duck wtf

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Ep 2 first half better than Ep1 but the second half worse.

Agree with what Kaedric said about magic school being dumb. If it's from the books and those books were written awhile ago I can understand but it's been played into the ground at this point almost as much as zombies. HP, Doctor Strange, The Magicians, etc.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kaedric posted:

Ep2: Not a fan of whatever they're doing with Yen. The harry potter school for witches is kinda dumb.

Ep2: we'll see how the execution pans out long term, as a storytelling thing it makes sense to me because she's a central character and it's an alternate angle for giving the audience a lot of the necessary exposition we're missing by not getting Geralt's direct perspective on things (including his quick read on Yen's backstory and motivations + showing what utter bastards wizards and sorceresses tend to be)

also not really a spoiler but Dandelion does indeed own and seems perfectly cast

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

(E2) Changing Yennefer's bit of elven blood from her mother to her father is a bit random. Maybe to make him seem less cruel than if he were selling his biological daughter? nbd but it caught my attention more than the other small changes to how she ends up with the sorceresses.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
I'm also liking how each episode is around an hour and ten to fifteen minutes.

Never understood why Netflix would give a poo poo about staying close to the 40-50 min time limit on their own produced shows.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tehran 1979 posted:

I'm also liking how each episode is around an hour and ten to fifteen minutes.

Never understood why Netflix would give a poo poo about staying close to the 40-50 min time limit on their own produced shows.

They do have a tendency to just let an episode run for however long they think it needs to. Which is sometimes really cool, but sometimes gets a bit obnoxious. I remember when some of the Netflix Arrested Development episodes would run to nearly 40 minutes, and the pacing was just all over the place.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ep 3: Gets loving real at the end

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only thing really throwing me off is some of the timeline. But maybe they'll reveal a certain storyline is indeed in the past as it should be.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

v good my question was just answered

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

stev posted:

They do have a tendency to just let an episode run for however long they think it needs to. Which is sometimes really cool, but sometimes gets a bit obnoxious. I remember when some of the Netflix Arrested Development episodes would run to nearly 40 minutes, and the pacing was just all over the place.

Yeah, I imagine comedy is the worst thing to do that with. You can't just tell the writers "just make up more funny stuff for 10 more minutes every episode but make sure it doesn't mess with pacing".

Works great for this though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Episode 3 is by far the best episode of the first 3.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

Episode 3 is by far the best episode of the first 3.

I've just started it. Great story this one I'm excited.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ep3 Lol pronouncing it the temple of 'melly telly'. Again not a huge fan of Yen's story here, they decided to go from subtlety (hey, sometimes working with magic has side effects, such as Yen's infertility) to 'hey let's literally remove her entire uterus on camera'.

On casting choices:
- Cahir was hamming it up a bit too much with the whipping his head around comically like a bird
- Fringilla has a weird kinda... moon-face that feels very out of place in the setting
- Foltest is supposed to be handsome damnit! Not a low-rent version of King Baratheon
- Triss looks literally identical to Maya Rudolph and I can't not see it every time she's on screen

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kaedric posted:

ep3 Lol pronouncing it the temple of 'melly telly'. Again not a huge fan of Yen's story here, they decided to go from subtlety (hey, sometimes working with magic has side effects, such as Yen's infertility) to 'hey let's literally remove her entire uterus on camera'.

Yeah (E3) they made a couple weird changes, most of them didn't bother me or make any difference at all (like changing how she ended up with the sorceresses in the first place, or making her elven blood come from some missing father instead of her mother's side, bla bla), but the literal removal of her uterus was a bit much lmao. Otherwise that scene was great, and I loved them cutting it with the striga fight.

I'm enjoying Anya as Yen so far, but I'm reserving full judgment til we see The Last Wish tbh.

On casting, I'm loving everyone so far. Dandelion is a standout fo sho. Triss is the only one I'm iffy on, and honestly just because she looks old compared to Yen. The actress was fine tho with what I've seen of her so far.

e: further E3 thoughts: Having them remove her uterus during the glamour/magic surgery scene kind of ruins the sacrifice of her fertility, t b h. The infertility in the books come from the use of magic, and not all mages are infertile. Some very important characters are born of sorceresses.

I guess it means we won't get a storyline in the future about (general book stuff) Yennefer's continued quest to find ways to fix her infertility, b/c motherhood is lowkey important to her, if she doesn't have a uterus lmbo.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 20, 2019

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Episode 3 great. I've seen horror movies that were less scary and action movies with less interesting action (Cavill has even been in a few, kek)

Kaedric posted:

Triss looks literally identical to Maya Rudolph and I can't not see it every time she's on screen

I've got the same thing with the way they're pronouncing Ciri. Don't care if it's pronounced like that in the game/books, it's always making me think Siri.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Do the episodes adapt The Last Wish? If so what episode is which story?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CJ posted:

Do the episodes adapt The Last Wish? If so what episode is which story?

From the cute lil hints they released with the episode titles, The Last Wish will be episode 5.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How many of the eps have been based on stories/stuff from the books so far?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
It'll be a couple of hours before I get to watch the show but, from what I've read, it seems like a frustrating mix of 'good' and 'determined to remove some of my favorite book moments'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pretty much all of it.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Uhhhhh what the gently caress is going on with the time line in Ep 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

How many of the eps have been based on stories/stuff from the books so far?

I'm on episode 4 and so far all of them

Tehran 1979 posted:

Uhhhhh what the gently caress is going on with the time line in Ep 4

the stories are being told in non-linear order, something that only become really apparent in Episode 3 and much more obvious in Episode 4