Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Woofer posted:

It would be one hell of a protest to show up and derelict duty by joining the protestors.

NG units are shooting people with non lethal a that are just standing on their porch.

That was a NG truck that rolled by. But the dudes walking down the street shooting people are pretty obviously cops.

https://twitter.com/tkerssen/status...agenumber%3D136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

spacetoaster posted:

That was a NG truck that rolled by. But the dudes walking down the street shooting people are pretty obviously cops.

https://twitter.com/tkerssen/status...agenumber%3D136

This is good news...

But I have no idea if it’s a relief or not.

Man this country sucks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm 100% looking at my retirement memo right now and considering sending it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Do it.

ACAP

Medical

All that poo poo, get a move on before you're associated with some seriously bad poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My last day of active duty ended literally the week before the lockdowns started. I couldn't have timed it any better.

2020 is loving crazy, it's somehow both my best year in a long time yet also the worst. More like I'm happy now that I've got my freedom back but also dismayed at the state of my country.

Spending 5 years training endlessly to fight in Atropia while also dealing with the day to day reality of the Trump administration pretty much sapped nearly every ounce of patriotism out of me.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Mustang posted:

My last day of active duty ended literally the week before the lockdowns started. I couldn't have timed it any better.

2020 is loving crazy, it's somehow both my best year in a long time yet also the worst. More like I'm happy now that I've got my freedom back but also dismayed at the state of my country.

Spending 5 years training endlessly to fight in Atropia while also dealing with the day to day reality of the Trump administration pretty much sapped nearly every ounce of patriotism out of me.

Congrats on finishing your service. Now you're one of us "veterans."

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

Thank you for your service! Make sure to collect your VFW hat, Oakleys, and guide to recording Facebook rants from your driver side camera

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's done.

We'll see how long it'll take to go through.

They're going to kill me at equipment turn in. I think I've still got a bunch of vietnam era poo poo in my shed that I'm signed for.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

It's done.

We'll see how long it'll take to go through.

They're going to kill me at equipment turn in. I think I've still got a bunch of vietnam era poo poo in my shed that I'm signed for.

Retirement memo submitted? Is it all digital or you gotta route paper?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Howard Phillips posted:

Retirement memo submitted? Is it all digital or you gotta route paper?

I spoke with my supervisor first. There's several memos that I have to do due to certain responsibilities that have to be handed off, or outright cancelled. If my request is approved (and I'm assured it will be) it'll be a few months before I can actually be out.

It's a stupid mix of digital/paper. Like, type the memos, print them, sign them, scan them, email them.

Now I've got to write my, and my wife's, awards. I think an AAM will do for me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

I spoke with my supervisor first. There's several memos that I have to do due to certain responsibilities that have to be handed off, or outright cancelled. If my request is approved (and I'm assured it will be) it'll be a few months before I can actually be out.

It's a stupid mix of digital/paper. Like, type the memos, print them, sign them, scan them, email them.

Now I've got to write my, and my wife's, awards. I think an AAM will do for me.

Make the verbiage appropriate for an MSM, but still make it an AAM. Or alternatively make it sound like you were a useless waste of oxygen, and also got an AAM.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

make it sound like you were a useless waste of oxygen

Well that's no challenge at all.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I finally completed Captains Career course, it only took like 6 years to get into all the required 4 parts. Next: ILE in 4 years when I get that oakleaf.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:vince:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Lips need to transition in to a crusty brown coating, but otherwise pretty solid.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

honk honk

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Not gonna lie, Now that Mustang is out I feel like he deserves my Avatar more than I do.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
haven't posted here in a long time but I just want to let you all know that I just finished a ctc rotation under covid and it was army asf

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Please, tell us more

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m imagining quite a bit, but it has to be stupider than anything I can possibly come up with.

Please tell me nobody actually used the phrase “tactical social distancing” :gonk:

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

masks and gloves at all times but it was pretty much for show since we were all sweating in close proximity of one another. this became something we were constantly yelled at about and were threatened to be exroed for covid (like threatened to get quarantined) if we failed to adhere to it. we slept in personal tents within a larger tent.

"Isolation" areas were located in, I poo poo you not, porta potties. i thought that was a joke at first but i saw it at two different areas. our entire BDE s6 got quarantined for two weeks right when we arrived so that made things extremely difficult for a while.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Man I was DONE with the Army all last year, I can't imagine if I would have also had to deal with COVID19 bullshit on top of regular Army bullshit for my last year in.

I've noticed that commanders have become podcasters these days though.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
So now, even though ACFT is the test of record on October 1, it doesn't actually go into effect until sometime in 2022. So your last APFT will count for a lot for a long time. The rollout is hilarious. If you're still in and have any kind of centralized board on the horizon, get 270+ APFT on record before October 1. No one will probably even care about the APFT by September, so you can probably just get your friend to "grade" and they'll accept it because who cares, it isn't gonna be the test anymore.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

They're lowering the standards on the alternate events too. The Bike (which is what I do) has been shortened to just 12k (from 15). I do the current 10k in about 18 minutes with a lot of time left over.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

the army: now fatter than ever!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I honestly barely ever took APFTs when I was in.

I'd always somehow have a current APFT score despite never asking anyone to pencil whip one for me. Didn't have anything against taking them but not going to if I don't have to.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mustang posted:

I'd always somehow have a current APFT score despite never asking anyone to pencil whip one for me. Didn't have anything against taking them but not going to if I don't have to.

Noble privelage

Flikken fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 24, 2020

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Mustang posted:

Thank you for your service.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hi, not sure where to post this but I feel like talking would help. Hopefully this is the right place.

I'm not in the military, but my brother is. Army National Guard. Apache pilot. I think he's over the Atlantic right now, flying to his first (only?) deployment to Afghanistan. I'm worried about him. I'm worried about what combat might do to him. I don't want him to have to shoot anyone. How the experience could potentially affect his marriage and warp his outlook on life. There's the risk of capture and/or death too, but apparently Apaches don't get downed often so I'm oddly more scared him getting PTSD than him getting killed. I don't believe our soldiers should be over there. I wish he hadn't joined at all.

I don't really know what else to say or what to talk about. Just stuff running through my head.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bees x1000 posted:

Hi, not sure where to post this but I feel like talking would help. Hopefully this is the right place.

I'm not in the military, but my brother is. Army National Guard. Apache pilot. I think he's over the Atlantic right now, flying to his first (only?) deployment to Afghanistan. I'm worried about him. I'm worried about what combat might do to him. I don't want him to have to shoot anyone. How the experience could potentially affect his marriage and warp his outlook on life. There's the risk of capture and/or death too, but apparently Apaches don't get downed often so I'm oddly more scared him getting PTSD than him getting killed. I don't believe our soldiers should be over there. I wish he hadn't joined at all.

I don't really know what else to say or what to talk about. Just stuff running through my head.

Well, this is a pretty good place to vent the fears that you have and hopefully we can address some of them and help you out a bit.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ashmole posted:

masks and gloves at all times but it was pretty much for show since we were all sweating in close proximity of one another. this became something we were constantly yelled at about and were threatened to be exroed for covid (like threatened to get quarantined) if we failed to adhere to it. we slept in personal tents within a larger tent.

"Isolation" areas were located in, I poo poo you not, porta potties. i thought that was a joke at first but i saw it at two different areas. our entire BDE s6 got quarantined for two weeks right when we arrived so that made things extremely difficult for a while.

Lol at least your unit is trying to mitigate COVID. Literally no one in my unit social distances or wears a mask. It’s loving great.

But hey I go on terminal on the 8th, so gently caress em, I’m gonna cough on some door handles on the way iut.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Literally second day back in the office and we find out there are two positive cases in the building next door. Some genius up the chain, upon finding out about the cases, said words to the effect of “Well, we’ll either have to send the others home or move them over here.”

They ended up sending them home to telework again while they sanitize the place, but I know at least one person came over to our building and was all up in it for hours. I get so tired of these dickholes that watch Fox News all day being in charge of our health.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

bees x1000 posted:

Artilleryman here. Have some experience with what killing enemy combatants from a distance can do to a squad. Generally the more religious you were, the harder it is to deal with because it's really all hypothetical. The agnostics and atheists didn't struggle much at all, but it was hard on the more peaceful Christians. When you're so far away you don't see what happened on the ground. No one had nightmares. I'd imagine as an Apache pilot it's similar. You can cause a lot of carnage, but it's not the same as being in close quarters combat. Knowing that you kill an enemy shooting at Americans also makes it pretty easy. Without you the US troops could die.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I can't talk about killing at distance. I can talk about killing so close you see the shock on their face as they fall down.

War is immoral. You are sending your children to kill their children.

E- that came out way more hosed up than I meant it too. I was in a bad moment. Sorry.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 25, 2020

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I can't talk about killing at distance. I can talk about killing so close you see the shock on their face as they fall down.

War is immoral. You are sending your children to kill their children.

E- that came out way more hosed up than I meant it too. I was in a bad moment. Sorry.

Been lucky to have been miles away when that happened. Makes it seem like it wasn't real.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just hope I don't die with that look on my face. :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

I just hope I don't die with that look on my face. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuF3X4iOoY

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've never seen this. Thank you. Makes my story better. Lol

Nah, I feel bad for the dude. He was the last one to realize he was dead. I knew. His friends knew. His body knew.

He didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've never seen this. Thank you. Makes my story better. Lol

Nah, I feel bad for the dude. He was the last one to realize he was dead. I knew. His friends knew. His body knew.

He didn't.

Same. Some dude's last words to me were "mister please".

War sucks.