Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ruddiger posted:

Andor: “Not if we jam ‘em!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

it's the best New Era Star Wars design.

That's probably because it's not actually a new design. Before bringing on Ralph McQuarrie, Lucas hired Colin Cantwell (who'd done work on 2001) to start the design process for the first movie, including some art that would eventually find it's way onscreen many decades later:

The ship actually briefly appeared in Solo before being featured in Andor:

It had other scenes that were cut from the movie, and re-using the asset in Andor was probably both cheaper than designing a new ship, and made more story sense than a full-sized Star Destroyer being there.

They also might have been able to use the style Light Cruiser that Moff Gideon had in The Mandalorian, but that actually used a 5 foot long practical model, so they may not have built a CG version of the whole ship.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Thanks for the background information, I just love all of those goofy fuckers. Looking back to compare, it seems like they put the dishes on the other side of the spearhead in Andor, facing forward, as it were. It still looks extremely dumb, you have this sleek design that screams Deadly Force and you put a bunch of dishes on it to convey Surveillance.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Blazing Saddles is still my favorite Mel brooks movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is one of my favorite threads in this subforum.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Megamaid!!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Thanks for the background information, I just love all of those goofy fuckers. Looking back to compare, it seems like they put the dishes on the other side of the spearhead in Andor, facing forward, as it were. It still looks extremely dumb, you have this sleek design that screams Deadly Force and you put a bunch of dishes on it to convey Surveillance.

Well, originally they were the main guns, but it got turned into a tractor beam ship somehow.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Feels like this matches more closely to the kick off the tower

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is one of my favorite threads in this subforum.

One of the best things of SA easy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This was on TV yesterday so I had to watch it.

Just brilliant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In the original Marvel comics adaptation of Star Wars, Vader drinks coffee while choking the Imperial officer.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I only have one question.
How?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

David D. Davidson posted:

How?

I had that comic as a kid and decided that it flew into his front control panel thing and locked in place.

That first panel with the cup flying is still really cool.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The cup also changes hands! :stare: The force works in mysterious ways.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

David D. Davidson posted:

How?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIHF8Xe-O6Y

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Moving a cup from one hand to another isn't mysterious.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The weird thing is, that little coffee cup moment is actually from the script:

quote:

MOTTI
Any attack made against this station by the rebels would be a useless gesture.. no matter what technical datas they’ve obtained. This battle station is now the ultimate power in the universe.

Vader stirs slightly and a cup mysteriously floats into his hand.

VADER
Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you have created. The ability to destroy a planet, or whole system is insignificant next to the cosmic Force.

MOTTI
Don’t try to frighten us with your sorcerer’s ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up those stolen data tapes… or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebel’s hidden fortress. I have to laugh .. ah…

Suddenly Motti chokes and starts to turn blue under Vader’s spell.

VADER
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

This definitely would have been written after David Prowse had been cast, so Lucas was already planning to keep Vader's helmet on all the time to make him easier to dub, so I think it was just supposed to be a weird little power move.

The third draft script has Vader doing something similar, though it's much earlier in the movie, and he actually drinks from it while somehow still waring his mask:

quote:

12-13. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER – HALLWAY – CABIN

Princess Leia is led down a low-ceilinged hallway by a squad of armored stormtroopers. Her hands are bound with brass bracelets, and she is brutally shoved when she is unable to keep up with the briskly marching troops. They enter a small gloomy chamber where Darth Vader, the Dark Lord of the Sith, is sitting. Vader speaks in an oddly filtered voice through his complex breathing mask.

VADER
Did you find anything?

OFFICER
Nothing, sir.

VADER
It must be on board somewhere. Destroy the ship and everything on it.

OFFICER
What if they sent a signal?

VADER
We would have picked it up… Nothing got through… It’s on the ship.

The Officer bows and leaves the chamber.

LEIA
I’m a member of the senate. You can’t hold me… Organa Major is a neutral…

Vader raises his arm and as a sudden pain grips Leia, she doubles up unable to continue. Vader raises his arm and a flask on the table mysteriously jumps into his open hand. He casually drinks from the flask.

VADER
Enough! I already know about the data you’ve intercepted, but it’s too late. Whatever information you’ve gathered will be destroyed… You will come to know such suffering as only the Master of the Bogan Force can provide…

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bogan Force?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Straws exist.

Vader's straw would obviously be pitch black to appear slightly less lame.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

In some day drafts, the light side of the Force is called "Ashla" and the dark side "Bogan". It got used in some ways in Legends content set in really ancient times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In some day drafts, the light side of the Force is called "Ashla" and the dark side "Bogan". It got used in some ways in Legends content set in really ancient times.

I mean I get that but that has a certain picture of Darth Vader wearing shorts, flip flops and holding a stubby of VB and piloting a poorly maintained Holden Commodore

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean I get that but that has a certain picture of Darth Vader wearing shorts, flip flops and holding a stubby of VB and piloting a poorly maintained Holden Commodore

Hobart Vader?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Robot Style posted:

The ship actually briefly appeared in Solo before being featured in Andor:

Not sure how you could focus on that scene at all when it had the Imperial March as diagetic music

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Not sure how you could focus on that scene at all when it had the Imperial March as diagetic music

Because there were SPACE SHIPS, duh.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

do you have the gif where he gets up out of the chair?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Don't you normally alternate which hand you're holding a flask of caf with? I find that my fingers almost start to burn after a few minutes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Don't you normally alternate which hand you're holding a flask of caf with? I find that my fingers almost start to burn after a few minutes.

He’s wearing gloves

Known gloved man, darth vader

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They're space cups. They cool your hand while keeping your beverage warm.

Just put "space" in front of something and it makes it more magical.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They're space cups. They cool your hand while keeping your beverage warm.

Just put "space" in front of something and it makes it more magical.

I knew space heaters were magical!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Not necessarily! We never see both hands in the same panel; he could be holding two cups!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of in Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars (the first thing Disney did with the Star Wars license!) Candace and her troopers are assigned with acquiring socks for Darth Vader.

A reminder: Darth Vader doesn't have feet.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Who wore it better?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spotted in the Comic Swipes Facebook group

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I would totally eat pizza the hut.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I would totally eat pizza the hut.

My 4yo twins loving LOVE Spaceballs. I think we watched it like 6 times last weekend. They laugh like crazy when Dark Helmet zaps the officer "in the nards."

But anyway, I asked them if they wanted to eat Pizza the Hut. One said "no he's gross and too spicy," and the other said "I don't want to eat pizza Jabba."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

hahaha, I love that they think he's spicy.

It's all that sass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

These obviously aren't due to the influence of Spaceballs since they came first, but it just hit me that in Star Trek III, Kirk and Sarek find out what happened to Spock's katra by just watching a clip from Star Trek II (including fast forwarding and rewinding) and in Star Trek IV, the Starfleet jury determine the circumstances in the Enterprise's destruction by watching a clip from Star Trek III.