Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can streamline managing consumable resources like ammo/potions etc by allowing automation of restocking, like if you can just walk past an object and it refills your consumables from storage, and also maybe unloads your inventory crap.

Factorio robots are good, essentially. Minimising repetitious clicking is nice when games allow it. The inventory management is one of the few complaints I have about terraria and is carried over to most games in its genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Exaggerated example of bullet physics:

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1304658484202541056

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

drat, them's some extra chunky gun sounds

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Devs prepping the lawyer friendly "Brand X" example of the weak and floppy Realistic Gunplay™ those OTHER games have compared to brand Outworlder.

Magmarashi posted:

drat, them's some extra chunky gun sounds

Considering how many people still bring up Doom 3's gun noises, ensuring every gun feels like you want the mere sound of them firing to also kill someone is a fun goal to strive for.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Those sfx :allears:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ah Soldat, it's good to see you again

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Victory Position posted:

ah Soldat, it's good to see you again

Glad people are picking up on the Soldat vibes, it's what I was going for. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's really important to me that the gunplay and combat feel really satisfying, so a lot of effort's going in to making it feel good.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Soldat was an incredible game and I love hearing that poo poo

Orv
May 4, 2011
There were people that didn't like Soldat? :confused:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Orv posted:

There were people that didn't like Soldat? :confused:

No, but a lot of people seem to be turned off whenever we talk about working on combat. It won't be a combat heavy game, but what combat there is I want to feel good.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Dang this is looking super good, it might just purge my bad memories of Starbound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't like soldat but that's because it was multiplayer, I'd probably like the mechanics in a singleplayer game.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I just want zero platforming with floaty rear end controls and none anti fun boss fights. The latter can be give or take really, its the feeling of the controls that turn me off of Starbound.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

our controls are tight, whip rear end and it's actually fun to platform. We've got slides, ledge grabs, and some other cool stuff we're working on in the shadows.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yes but do they whip a donkey's rear end?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

*llamas rear end

You can "ads" with rifles?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

victrix posted:

*llamas rear end

You can "ads" with rifles?

Yes. Still undecided on whether to expand it to all of the weapons though.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

actual runtime screenshot, no fakery or anything. this is how the game looks right now

investing in a full time lead artist was one of the best decisions i made

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Holy gently caress that's pretty

I wanna play this game

also shoot that bird

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Yup, that looks real promising.

I'm yet another lurker who bookmarked this in the hopes I'd see a follow on update, so it's good to see progress. I loved Terraria and liked Starbound not as much, so I'm pretty happy with all this. Keep posting!

And don't shoot birds.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

our controls are tight, whip rear end and it's actually fun to platform. We've got slides, ledge grabs, and some other cool stuff we're working on in the shadows.

Yeah this game is low-key a parkour sim. All it needs are sick wall jumps

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rhopunzel posted:

actual runtime screenshot, no fakery or anything. this is how the game looks right now

investing in a full time lead artist was one of the best decisions i made

Looks loving great.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
any updates on how things are going?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

According to their twitter, they're working on NPC functionality now and a Steam page is coming soon.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's steady progression. A lot of back-end stuff that doesn't make for flashy gifs and poo poo, like tightening up NPC code and reworking parts of the UI. The big push lately has been getting NPC crafting and the workstation/colony management UIs working, but it's mostly raw functionality right now so there's nothing to show but half-complete WIP UIs lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hi, many of you know me as LSBB, insane SA moron, but in my off-time I work at my second job as social media monkey for Igloosoft.

Which is why I'm hype to announce to you guys that our friggin' Steam page is live and ya'll should Wishlist us.

A shiny, new trailer more accurate to the current state of the game and showcasing some additional stuff will be live as soon as I'm not violently ill anymore.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Outworlder/

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hi, many of you know me as LSBB, insane SA moron, but in my off-time I work at my second job as social media monkey for Igloosoft.

Which is why I'm hype to announce to you guys that our friggin' Steam page is live and ya'll should Wishlist us.

A shiny, new trailer more accurate to the current state of the game and showcasing some additional stuff will be live as soon as I'm not violently ill anymore.

The last ten seconds of the trailer fills me with procgen space exploration PTSD in spite of the soothing sound effects.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Looking better and better! Wishlisted.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Thanks for the heads up, wishlisted :tipshat:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll update the OP at some point tonight. Thanks for the support, guys.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 18, 2021

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lookin pretty sweet guys, wishlisted.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hooray! Wishlisted!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Looking forward to this, whitelisted. Cheers..C:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Amazing to see how much progress has been built on the corpse of a single chicken. Will wishlist tomorrow when I'm at the PC. Game looks really good tbh

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Wishlisted also.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Is there going to be a tech tree in this mod, or just tiered equipment? I've been replaying Starbound and Frackin Universe released an update that redid equipment to a tech tree.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Is there going to be a tech tree in this mod, or just tiered equipment? I've been replaying Starbound and Frackin Universe released an update that redid equipment to a tech tree.

Think XCOM style research. Discover things and have your colonist scientist research it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

Think XCOM style research. Discover things and have your colonist scientist research it.

I'm looking forward to this game chasing after something closer to the the lost art of classic X-Com "The first upgrade branch is good forever. The next upgrades are GREAT forever"

I miss desiring higher rank upgrades because they are cool and make my life more convenient, instead of Starbound MMO treadmill or rose tinted glasses "No, see, a shotgun with only one shell capacity is actually great and you just don't appreciate variety" where needing to raw damage/DPS my way through enemy damage thresholds more efficiently is the main draw.

...This actually brings to mind, is it already known/planned how arming your citizens works out? Will it be running around and handing a sawed off shotgun and biker jackets to an old lady by hand, or a broad strokes "All citizens have Hunting rifles or laser pistols at minimum now" part of your overall progression?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wishlisted, happy to see you're still going with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

How are you going to handle decorative items in game?

When Starbound first dropped (like, when it very first became public and was actually fun) the Pixel Scanner/Printer seemed extremely cool but was waaaaaaaay too expensive. I loved the idea of see it/scan it/place it but like everything else it ended up being a grindy mess for no reason.

I want to be able to collect cool poo poo without necessarily ruining everything interesting out in the world to strip it bare.