Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cojawfee posted:

I think there was probably some producer fuckery going on to allow Mark and Boone to keep their golden brick

Isn't next episode the semi-finals, leading up to the three finalists? In that case Mark and Boone are definitely going to be in the finals (unless for some reason they choose not to the the golden brick which would be MONUMENTALLY stupid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If there's another prize for first place they might try to win that but otherwise yeah, even if they're confident, you just play it and remove all doubt

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

veni veni veni posted:

This is how it's seemed to me since episode 2. They've consistently been judged harsher than anyone else.

I agree. The little guy made the comment about how messy the house was and that they're being too literal. You mean following the challenge and building what the story said?

It wasn't one of their best though, but the messiness of the house wasn't the reason

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ChesterJT posted:

I agree. The little guy made the comment about how messy the house was and that they're being too literal. You mean following the challenge and building what the story said?

Eh, the messiness was a minor part of the story but their build was kind've overwhelmed by it. The other teams also included that detail but made sure to keep the rest of the story elements clear and instantly readable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ChesterJT posted:

It wasn't one of their best though, but the messiness of the house wasn't the reason

There's building what was in the story, and then taking the story to another level. They built the taker waker as the witch from wizard of Oz. Tyler and Amy built theirs as a rat in a cave. Sam and Jessica built theirs as a raccoon in a trash can. They were the only ones who excelled and were clearly in the top two.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I agree. Best teams were top 2. Worst 2 were bottom.

Bros Excel at structures, but they wasted a lot of time and effort on some boring walls. Their automation being better than the theater guys is probably what saved them. They shrank the story down to a single room and it lacked scope and imagination. I'm also pretty sure their kid said the evil horse was huge, not the same size. Anyway, they are still talented and if they get the right challenges they can win.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So who gets eliminated next episode to leave the final 3 teams? I'm betting it'll either be Sam & Jessica or Christian & Aaron. I really can't see Boone & Mark or Tyler & Amy losing unless there's a major upset.

It'll probably be Sam & Jessica, they've never won an episode and they've been bottom two twice now, plus the next episode is a teamwork challenge and that's their biggest weakness.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The pairings they showed in the preview were Tyler & Amy with Aaron & Christian vs Boone & Mark with Sam & Jessica, and my personal assumption is that the winning group will be safe and the losing group will be bottom two. Golden brick would make it pretty anti-climactic but also the top three have been really obvious for basically the entire season so...

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Aaron and Christian finally went home. I knew it would happen sooner or later. Altho it is pretty wild Sam and Jessica outlived them.

Sam and Jessica outlived Mel and Jermaine, Flynn and Richard, Aaron and Christian! Wow! With Flynn and Richard gone, I'm rooting for Sam and Jessica cuz they're the underdogs. lol

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 26, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Aaron and Christian are great Technic(al) builders, but not great Lego set builders. If only they have made their lair more fun looking and dropped that stupid bake sale thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PowerBeard posted:

Aaron and Christian are great Technic(al) builders, but not great Lego set builders. If only they have made their lair more fun looking and dropped that stupid bake sale thing.

Yeah that was bizarre, especially after they were specifically told by the Brickmasters that it didn't work

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I think they thought that having it would make it look like a school instead of an office building. As for the Brick masters, Aaron and Christian also called over Tyler & Amy for advice and you could see the cogs going off in their head like "yeah, your ideas are SO good, don't mind what the Lego Masters said" while they went ham on their awesome Egyptian theme.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They really flubbed that one thematically and shot themselves in the foot by being stubborn. The bake sale idea didn’t even really make any sense.

Still I’m shocked that Sam and Jessica outlasted them because they are just much much better builders. Even Sam and Jessica seem to know this.

And I’m not even saying sam and Jessica aren’t good. I enjoy their stuff, but it just hasn’t been quite on the level of the rest of the finalists at any point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They really laid it on too thick with Sam talking about how he had no idea how they were going to survive in confessionals, made it way too obvious that Aaron and Christian were going to be the ones eliminated.

Also I am real mad that they don't get to do a star wars challenge

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, a light up Diorama from them would have been cool.

I'm not looking forward to the next challenge only because it's a bit too restrictive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm assuming that Sam and Jessica stayed on simply because they listened to input and tried to improve their build. Aaron and Christian took the input, and once again ignored it. I could see how they kind of wanted to go for an unassuming top side that doesn't give away the secret lair, kind of like Batman. But that doesn't work for this build. That's great for something where someone can walk around the whole build to look at it. But it doesn't work when it is clearly supposed to be a diorama of two lairs and a battle between and you look at it from the front.

They are definitely too stubborn to stay in. As was clear when Tyler and Amy were not impressed and were very confused by bake sale, and then Aaron and Christian just kept hyping up bake sale as if bringing up the average excitement of the four of them would somehow make it be a good idea. Then their bake sale just made absolutely no sense, it just happened to be in the build. I think if they had just knocked out the wall of the underground part and just built a diorama in there, maybe with a cutaway for an entrance, they would have fared much better and Sam and Jessica would have gone home. Sam and Jessica definitely stuck in because they had such a creative battle, whereas their lair was lackluster.

Was that line where Sam says that he built something so he was going to keep it in the actual show? They kept using it for the teaser, but I don't remember it being in the actual show.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That bake sale was a horrible hill to die on.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ultimate Mango posted:

That bake sale was a horrible hill to die on.

No it was next to the hill.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The hardest part of being on this show would be feeling obligated to laugh at Will Arnett's jokes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cojawfee posted:

I'm assuming that Sam and Jessica stayed on simply because they listened to input and tried to improve their build. Aaron and Christian took the input, and once again ignored it. I could see how they kind of wanted to go for an unassuming top side that doesn't give away the secret lair, kind of like Batman. But that doesn't work for this build. That's great for something where someone can walk around the whole build to look at it. But it doesn't work when it is clearly supposed to be a diorama of two lairs and a battle between and you look at it from the front.

If they had've made it so that they could open up the base so there was a big reveal it could have even worked in their favour.

They still could've had some stall out the front (except tie it into the hero's theme ffs) which also transformed into a crime-mobile or opened up to reveal the secret entrance to the lair or something

I've worked on projects with people who get super invested in their initial idea and aren't capable of re-examining it critically or adjusting their plans in any way and it drives me nuts :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 27, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Was that line where Sam says that he built something so he was going to keep it in the actual show? They kept using it for the teaser, but I don't remember it being in the actual show.

I thought I was going crazy after watching the episode and it not coming up. Yeah again, the show probably wanted to make it seem like there was tension between both groups.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Apparently my country taped it's own version (Netherlands) and it's airing soon. Neat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Also I am real mad that they don't get to do a star wars challenge

I know, right?

The brief glimpse of the Newlyweds Hoth scene looked cool at least.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I hope the world doesn’t end before Wednesday cause I wanna see the star wars legos

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think A&C's build was the best. But once again they didn't follow directions. It was obvious pretty early that they were toast. Midway though the episode I had checked out for next season. But when I saw next weeks episode I totally checked out. Don't know if I will watch again. Except the gf wants to keep going. Sigh.

Next week looks horrific.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

what's FOX doing with the time slot after the finale, anyway?

Also awkward timing since Masked Singer seems primed for their next episode to be a two hour special, seems like they could have planned that a little better.

e: lol I just checked and the Lego Masters finale is indeed on the 8th because of Masked Singer having a two hour episode next week.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I think A&C's build was the best. But once again they didn't follow directions. It was obvious pretty early that they were toast. Midway though the episode I had checked out for next season. But when I saw next weeks episode I totally checked out. Don't know if I will watch again. Except the gf wants to keep going. Sigh.

Next week looks horrific.

I found it interesting that Sam and Jessica immediately decided to talk to Mark and Boone almost straight away and bounce ideas, the fact that their ideas synced. Their levels were practically the same height even before they planned and that helped a lot as well.

As for next week, I'm kind of non plussed about Star Wars, but it might allow for some cool and creative solutions to make them look like the existing models.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PowerBeard posted:

As for next week, I'm kind of non plussed about Star Wars, but it might allow for some cool and creative solutions to make them look like the existing models.

I'm hoping there'll be a twist halfway through the episode, but I'm also pretty sure that Disney would have put a bunch of limitations on what they're allowed to do with the Star Wars Brand so they might not allow them to do anything interesting

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The twist will be that they have to incorporate something from the new stars wars films or The Mandalorian or something like a weird mash up.

"What's that R2D2, you think they should add Kylo Ren to this scene, what a wacky idea.... You have 7 more hours, make him beautiful!"

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

The bros' Achilles heel is that they are incapable of following the directions. Also great technical builders but not great imaginative builders.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I think they could be. Mark and Boone pull off some crazy technical and imaginative stuff. Christian and Aaron had hints of it as well, but they were not flexible to change or criticism.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I don't think lack of imagination was a problem. They would just get very set on an idea and weren't very flexible with criticism and tbh I think it turned them into a target for the judges.

Like was said by myself and others I think since basically the second episode they were held to a higher standard than everyone else. Even viewers. I've seen so many criticisms of them "not following directions" that don't make sense. Let's take the Kraken for example, which imo has been the best build on the entire series. They were immediately panned for not following directions. But...Sam and jessica were praised for doing basically the same thing. Someone explain to me how building an underwater scene coming out of a dive helmet doesn't adhere to the theme but building an underwater scene coming out of a fire hydrant does? It makes absolutely no sense.

For the record I am not one of these guys nor do I know them lol, I know I spend a lot of time white knighting them.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 28, 2020

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I agree it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. You also have to remember editing plays a factor too. They may have had conversations about it that were cut out. They also abandoned the bake sale fight thing after their partner team expressed their lack of enthusiasm. They did still leave the little stand in which was dumb but they did compromise.

I think this last one was interesting because they're building three dimensional models yet the judges seemed to only care about what was visible from the front. I sort of get that but anyone who's been to Brickworld or any big expo of lego builds has seen those huge dioramas and knows you walk all around it to see the neat details all over the place. I do think the hero fortress was kind of bland from the front but they acted like all the detail inside wasn't there and I don't even know if we got a good look inside there at the end.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They also got screwed with the "good guy" build. Bad guys are much easier to do. Ultimately, it is just a show. Fairness has nothing to do with it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I thought they had the seemingly easiest combination of figures to design off of, good guys or bad.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

They also got screwed with the "good guy" build. Bad guys are much easier to do. Ultimately, it is just a show. Fairness has nothing to do with it.

They had one of the easiest characters to build for, galactic bounty hunter, and stuck him in a hidden underground lair instead of building a cool spaceship or something. I agree that from the way the show’s cut that it looks like the judges came down harder on them than the rest in previous eps, but they just legit lost this one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

They had one of the easiest characters to build for, galactic bounty hunter, and stuck him in a hidden underground lair instead of building a cool spaceship or something.

And they made him the sidekick, wtf

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Of anyone, Mark and Boone would have the hardest to pair minifigs because they didn't seem to have anything to do with each other. Just two evil characters that happened to work together. Everyone else had really easy to pair minifigs. The bathtub guy and his mom who helps him with his crime fighting. A mummy with an explorer who does crimes with her. Aaron and Christian could have had theirs be a programmer who had a robot sidekick thing. Have her run a programming school for kids as her normal life, and then also have all these robots she makes plus her robot sidekick to fight the evil mummy because the mummy stole the rare earth minerals that she needs for her robots to make the obelisk. It's loving easy, but they just kept saying "BAKE SALE BAKE SALE BAKE SALE" which makes absolutely no sense outside a tech center that sits above a secret lair.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And they made him the sidekick, wtf

Sidekick could have been fine. But he wasn't in their story at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cojawfee posted:

Of anyone, Mark and Boone would have the hardest to pair minifigs because they didn't seem to have anything to do with each other. Just two evil characters that happened to work together. Everyone else had really easy to pair minifigs. The bathtub guy and his mom who helps him with his crime fighting. A mummy with an explorer who does crimes with her. Aaron and Christian could have had theirs be a programmer who had a robot sidekick thing. Have her run a programming school for kids as her normal life, and then also have all these robots she makes plus her robot sidekick to fight the evil mummy because the mummy stole the rare earth minerals that she needs for her robots to make the obelisk. It's loving easy, but they just kept saying "BAKE SALE BAKE SALE BAKE SALE" which makes absolutely no sense outside a tech center that sits above a secret lair.

I didn't understand why a school. I did, however, really dig the circuit boards up the side of their building.