Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oh interesting the old DLC persona's you don't get to summon for free anymore. You need to actually fuse them now.

Actually NM I needed to go download the old DLC.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm, like, five hours in, and my very early verdict so far is that it's a perfectly good excuse to replay the very-good-to-excellent RPG Persona 5.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
About an hour in.

Good to know the volume levels of the cutscenes are still jacked up.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Got a notice for shipping. Gotta wait a few days.

Bought the DLC because I’m an awful person

I can’t wait to play it though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

During the first "eavesdrop behind two students as you walk to school" scene, I was like, "Oh cool, they dubbed this!" and then immediately went, "...are both of these students Yuri Lowenthal?" and I thought I was losing my mind

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. I forgot how bad the voice direction screws up the emphases in Japanese names.

It was neat actually seeing Haru around the halls in the first couple days instead of just popping out of nowhere in the back 1/3 of the game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

AlternateNu posted:

lol. I forgot how bad the voice direction screws up the emphases in Japanese names.

It was neat actually seeing Haru around the halls in the first couple days instead of just popping out of nowhere in the back 1/3 of the game.

They added a lot of cameos in the background of various scenes. It’s been pretty entertaining playing soot the named character. Apparently the place Akechi bugs Niijima to buy him lunch from is right next to the school since they walked right past Ryuji and Joker at one point.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Been so long since I played that I'm honestly not 100% certain whether something amazing is a touch-up or from the original. This really was one of the most beautiful games, in terms of movement and art direction, I think I've ever seen put together. Just style out the ears.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Been so long since I played that I'm honestly not 100% certain whether something amazing is a touch-up or from the original. This really was one of the most beautiful games, in terms of movement and art direction, I think I've ever seen put together. Just style out the ears.

I adore the loading screens with people walking by. That's the first moment I started really liking P5.

Stroth posted:

Okay, so guns are absurdly loving useful now compared to the base game.

It's nice to see the series going back to it's Persona 1 roots.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC the localization team was direction specifically by Atlus to pronounce it as "Sah-KA-mah-toe" for some reason. :shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Namely the Japanese people there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, D.C. Douglas is so loving good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sydin posted:

IIRC the localization team was direction specifically by Atlus to pronounce it as "Sah-KA-mah-toe" for some reason. :shrug:

Really? It isn't just Sakamoto, though. They put unnecessary emphasis on the second mora of a lot of names for some reason.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

AlternateNu posted:

Really? It isn't just Sakamoto, though. They put unnecessary emphasis on the second mora of a lot of names for some reason.

The voice actors have said that they were specifically told to pronounce it that way even though they didn't want to.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Arist posted:

Man, D.C. Douglas is so loving good

He really is.

Shame they peak with Kamoshida so early.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi I've been reloading my game for 20 minutes to try to get a bonus stat up when crafting. Just wanted to share that.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My copy isn't here yet, but I'm hoping to sail through without using a guide / too much cheese. I was able to max all my confidants and complete some extras like fishing without following a guide on my first playthrough of 5, but I did abuse the SP accessories to power through the dungeons in as few days as possible, so we'll see.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

cheesetriangles posted:

Hi I've been reloading my game for 20 minutes to try to get a bonus stat up when crafting. Just wanted to share that.

hello I just purchased it on my ps4, soon to follow in your footsteps.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

onesixtwo posted:

hello I just purchased it on my ps4, soon to follow in your footsteps.

...Yeah, I saw that in the "complete" guide and I'm like "I'd spend less time playing a NG+ and have more fun trying to be a completionist that way then re-loading constantly for a few extra notes when crafting freaking lockpicks." Thanks but pass.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi I've said gently caress it and am just moving on with my life.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ROFL Octopus posted:

He really is.

Shame they peak with Kamoshida so early.

It is difficult to compete with a guy so despicable when the game brings up the risk of frying his brain I just shrug my shoulders and say well he would have it coming.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The only way to top it would send the game hurtling into lolsoedgy territory. Kamoshida's an absolute monster, but a believable one. That's a hard recipe to balance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They give you waaaaaaay too many items and too much money for the save bonus and the DLC packs.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Early question for everyone: What difficulty are y'all playing on? I cruised through vanilla P5 on Normal and still regret it. Does everything feel rebalanced?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ah shoot I probably should have save scrubbed before crafting, oops!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TheLoser posted:

Early question for everyone: What difficulty are y'all playing on? I cruised through vanilla P5 on Normal and still regret it. Does everything feel rebalanced?

I'm going to knock it up to hard tomorrow, just beat the first dungeon and did the mementos tutorial. Did the first dungeon in one day but it felt even easier than I remember it in the original, the guns and baton pass being more powerful and available straight away respectively help with that and the new technical damage thing which I'm still not entirely clear on. I think it's going to be pretty easy so you may as well put it up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first Palace and I'm probably gonna get through it without needing to leave. It seems easier so far.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Hard mode was hitting with enough force that I wound up needing to exit a little more than halfway through the first palace due to running out of SP. Overall, that difficulty feels right. I don't understand why anyone would want to go Merciless and deal with getting less XP besides.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So, what is the consensus, is this game worth getting if you have already played the heck out of P5? Like I am torn, I want to get it, but I have like over 200 hours in the original P5 (look I wanted divine orbs on all my party members). Is there a enough new and different stuff to make it a worthwhile purchase?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Hard mode was hitting with enough force that I wound up needing to exit a little more than halfway through the first palace due to running out of SP. Overall, that difficulty feels right. I don't understand why anyone would want to go Merciless and deal with getting less XP besides.

I don’t have the link on hand but merciless gives you -more- exp and money now. Still has the triple damage on weaknesses things which imo is the real reason to not do it over hard. You can’t even capture personas cause you one shot them and this is “balanced” by the fact you can get one-shot as well

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I'm gonna be playing Persona and Persona 5 for the first time with this. The most adjacent thing I've played is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Is there anything in particular I need to know, beyond the bit in the OP about a true ending?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TheLoser posted:

I’m playing on Hard.

I also played P5 on Normal and while I enjoyed it, the moments where I actually felt challenged were few and far between.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zwingley posted:

I'm gonna be playing Persona and Persona 5 for the first time with this. The most adjacent thing I've played is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Is there anything in particular I need to know, beyond the bit in the OP about a true ending?

I'm going to tell you how to avoid the thing that caused me no end of trouble when I was a kid first playing Persona 4: This is not Pokemon. You are not going to find a Persona you like, especially not the one you start with, and make it viable through the entire game with copious amounts of grinding. Your Personas are disposable, and the game wants you to know this. Personas level exceptionally slowly and unlike your party members', will stop learning skills a few levels in. The game actually creates a scenario in the first few hours where it will probably force you to fuse away your starting Persona to teach you this.

Other than that, status effects are really good in the earlygame against tough enemies, and buffs are always, always amazing.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Madmarker posted:

So, what is the consensus, is this game worth getting if you have already played the heck out of P5? Like I am torn, I want to get it, but I have like over 200 hours in the original P5 (look I wanted divine orbs on all my party members). Is there a enough new and different stuff to make it a worthwhile purchase?

It's really up to you. The meat of the game, i.e. the story, is the same with an extra dungeon added to the end. Most of the changes other than that are fluff like a hangout location to upgrade you baton pass, changes to combat like gun ammo refilling between fights, new text message conversations etc.

It's really up to personal preference if you want to play it again.

Zwingley posted:

The real objective of the game is to get as many confidants to rank 10 as you can. The Death confidant rank 7, Temperance rank 10 and Fortune Rank 7 unlock abilities that dramatically increases the amount of confidants you can level up, so do those early if you want to see everything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am disappointed that there is no Sae conversation when you form a bond with Igor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gonna post pics of the Phantom Thieves Edition.
56k warning.

It threw me off how the front of the steelbook is reversed.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I forgot how good the HD demon models looked and am now pissed off again they never did anything with them.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Also gently caress PlayStation plus, you assholes could let me download the save file I uploaded years ago.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Hunt11 posted:

I am disappointed that there is no Sae conversation when you form a bond with Igor.

You'd think that amidst all the random 'tell me who taught you to tie your shoes! :byodood:' bits she'd push for more details on the exact circumstances of how you became involved in a clearly supernatural phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My understanding is each dungeon now has 3 special keys (of some sort) that unlock a bigger item after you complete the dungeon, yes?