Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Time to learn the secrets of silver. Due North, and seek out special gifts mong our children.

Also, I'm leaning towards Dance Macabre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Oh goody, Thea.

I seem to be locked in an endless cycle of my own with that game:
1. Start new game
2. Get somewhere to mid point and:
3A Get overwhelmed by over-leveled critters
3B Pause for a week for some reason, not remember what I was doing when I get back to it, go back to 1

Anyway, build a cabbage patch, train the child into a witch or their special talent and I don't know how many people are there before me but sign me up when one of the tykes grows up, or you meet a talking rat or something

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I say we do the first part of Cosmic tree and try that for challenge. We got an elf so it shouldn't be that hard. As for buildings we should build a cabbage patch to get our children train rolling. Use the highest tier material we have for it if we got it in good quantity. As for recruitment special recruits are a must especially since we don't have the buildings that expand our recruitment pool just yet. A witch will be really good, but if we can guarentee recruitment of witches we can take a special before the witch.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Time to learn the secrets of silver. Due North, and seek out special gifts mong our children.

Also, I'm leaning towards Dance Macabre

I agree with this

Also, go ahead and sign me up for a villager

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Alright, looks like we're going for Cabbage Patch (then silver, monster bone, or herbalist's hut, whichever seems best at the time), prioritizing special gifts (then witchcraft) and finally, we'll be called Danse Macabre which narrowly won over the other names.

I'll get to working on the update here pretty soon today- how soon it's done depends on how much that happens.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
given the amount of meat involved in both events, I'm pretty sure the party fed the goblin to the elf.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Fat Samurai posted:

given the amount of meat involved in both events, I'm pretty sure the party fed the goblin to the elf.

I thought about that myself, but the expedition hadn't returned with that meat until after the elf came to town.

I didn't know what to think when I saw that, honestly.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

RedSnapper posted:

you meet a talking rat or something

That was fast.

(I can save your name for a human if you want, but you did mention the rat, so I went ahead with it for now.)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My favorite part about the beasts is that, as far as I can tell, they get the exact same level ups as a normal person.

Once, my best smith was a spider because she kept getting smith points on levelup. 8 limbs means at least 6 hammers, right?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Arzaac posted:

My favorite part about the beasts is that, as far as I can tell, they get the exact same level ups as a normal person.

Once, my best smith was a spider because she kept getting smith points on levelup. 8 limbs means at least 6 hammers, right?

They make really good vehicles for jewelry as well. Teach your pigs 8 feint or 6 gathering with some necklaces, or build up a bunch of ruby jewelry and have yourself a medic spider.

Thea gets goofy sometimes.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

The Flying Twybil posted:

That was fast.

(I can save your name for a human if you want, but you did mention the rat, so I went ahead with it for now.)

Nah, I'm pretty happy with that. I mean, true, it doesn't have speech but let's not be fussy

e: And 9 strength? Just how big is that thing?

RedSnapper fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 13, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

RedSnapper posted:

Nah, I'm pretty happy with that. I mean, true, it doesn't have speech but let's not be fussy

e: And 9 strength? Just how big is that thing?

Quite big, apparently. I think Fat Samurai is the only person on our team with 10, and Evil King and Shei-Kun have 9 each. It's a shame you can't wear platemail, but it does add up to a lot more carrying capacity for Dance Macabre.

There's uh, one race in the game that regularly has 30 strength, but they're just as busted as elves.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 6: Negotiations and Banishment Songs (Turn 38 - 50)

-------------
Turn 38
-------------

Ah, back are we? Very well...

The tale begins today not long after the we left off last time.

Following Theodore's map, the expedition team came to a small ruin growing vines in prolific amounts. It would be useful had they not already been making use of spidersilk given their capabilities are in general, quite similar.

The helpful demon hadn't sent them there for that, however. Within the ruins was the skeleton of an Elf, (a fact which Evil King confirmed,) with a scroll upon its body.

Having read the writing carefully, they determined that both the Cosmic Tree's ruins and where they would need to head next was across the small lake. Unfortunately for them, the sandbar dividing it from the larger pond was not traverseable and would instead require them to take the southern path around.

-------------
Turn 39
-------------

Meanwhile, the town found a pond nearby rather not worth noting. It had appeared suspicious at first, but nothing was unusual about it at all, aside from being saltwater. I only bring this up because very special attention was paid to it in the chronicles of the village.

No, I know not why.

-------------
Turn 40
-------------

On to more interesting details, the expedition began to head north instead. They sought to find more useful resources in the land to the north, but encountered more than they had imagined.

Four wild boars are more dangerous than you'd think, though this encounter was no challenge for our adventurers.

Boars bite and slam about as hard as a well trained recruit, but only bear a noticeable threat to the unarmored.

In the end, they were easily dispatched thank to the spear users and Evil King's graceful combat. This cache that these boars were protecting had some quite useful items within it, such as Enchanted Bone a material left behind by deeply magical creatures or by magic-crazed researchers. It would be good for crafting gear to harness the power of the old magic.

Aside from that was a nice pile of wicker, something that would make some very fine crafting baskets, and another bow to help with hunting.

Though they thought the boars were all, they were quickly set upon by Spors not long after. Before the corrupting Darkness, these forest spirits were often friendly- not so much anymore. Though they could muster a hex to remove them, thanks to Evil King's magic, 'twas far easier to trick them into thinking they had a banishment spell prepared.

Perhaps the darkness had addled them, or perhaps they weren't very intelligent to begin with, but it was an easy enough plan.

-------------
Turn 41
-------------

It would seem that tougher creatures already lingered in the swamps and tundras beyond the town. They would have to be dealt with, in time.

One notable threat that they dispatched before it could cause future harm was a Spider Queen. Often protected by a horde of weaker spiders, they can be difficult to deal with. A single bite is more than enough to take a lightly armored soldier down, so one must use good teamwork to handle the situation quickly.

Typically, they either lead the charge or follow far behind the pack- using the weaker spiders as meatshields. Regardless, the best tactic is to simply be faster than them- spears and stealth would serve a soldier well here.

: Quickly, spear-users, around the sides! I'll draw the hatchlings' attention- get rid of that Queen!
: On it, boss!

-Was I rambling? Ah, apologies, I spent many a day hunting spiders, you see, and it brings back memories. They make for such an adrenaline fueled hunt.

Back to the tale. It would seem these spiders had killed some nomads, for in two nearby web cocoons, they found some usable gear.

Given her position as the most effective fighter on the team, it was given to Evil King. It would seem that not even metal plate of solid iron would be heavy enough to slow her down.

Beyond that forming nest was the ruins of some temple. As would be expected, the undead walked there as usual.

The gear found there was either in too poor shape or too weak a material to be useful. They scrapped what they could and hauled it with them.

-------------
Turn 42
-------------

The east was nothing but trouble.

: Bah, drat this storm!

The bolts of thunder struck harshly in response, harming Fat Samurai and Rocket Baby, while striking Evil King directly.

: :supaburn:

: I thought your deities were long fallen.
: Yes, that's what we thought, but apparently not. We only held out for Horos out of respect.
: Speaking of, how did you survive a thunderstrike with iron plate on?
: We elves are more resilient than you'd think. *Twitches a few times* *Pats at smoking hair*
: Note to self- must devise way to defend against thunderstorms.

The painful lesson aside, it raised questions regarding things the adventurers had not thought possible. Was it a coincidence? Possibly... but it seemed too well timed for that alone.

Nevertheless, their supplies were harshly damaged and they would need to return home soon. They had planned to anyways, given the path north was more clear that way,

-------------
Turn 43 - 44
-------------

With time comes experience, and those of the expedition were no exception. The most notable thing was Old Grey Guy's private training in better defending himself with a spear.

Back at town, Arzaac grew even more perceptive of her surroundings- a peculiar trait for one who spends her time chopping wood. Anonymous continued to dedicate himself to the art of gathering while Vodkahead hit a veritable growth spurt- not that anyone could tell.

As the expedition pared away more creatures from the army of the Darkness, they came across a welcome sight- some decent armor preserved in a peat bog. It had served someone well before, it would serve again now.

-------------
Turn 45
-------------

Running out of food, the team managed to barely make it back to the outskirts of the village. Hopefully, a new set of tools for Old Grey Guy would help to mitigate issues like these. Eating on the road seems like it would later become a necessity.

Yet, under the cover of darkness, there was something that neither group had picked up on until that night.

: Oi, why in the bloody hell is the food stocks lighter than before?
: drat, my precious metals ar gone! Argh, I could have made such fine equipment with that! Where are they?!
: Hold! That last group of nomads spoke of bandits in the area- it has to be that!
: Oi, what are we waiting for? Let's track 'em down and kick their asses!

: Hey, hey! Oi, there, Oggy! You've come back just in time!
: What? Why do you have that marshreed in your hand?
: Bandits, that's why. This reed only grows out in those swamps to the east, right? That's where they went.
: Then what are we waitin' for? Let's go get our stuff back!
: Rather, we'll go get the stuff back. You two stay here- this could be a lot more dangerous than our usual scraps.
: She speaks truthfully. Let us quickly exchange supplies and handle this issue.
: Hey, what happened to your hair?
: I was hit by lightning. It's nothing much.
: Alright, we'll stay here then! :stare:

-------------
Turn 46
-------------

As they supplied and prepared to leave, the expedition had a rather curious encounter.

This was little challenge for them, being followers of Horos and with Evil King's magic on their side. Truly, the old magic had many uses from silencing to confusion or even banishment.

Truly, these signs were beginning to appear rather noticeably. They had wanted to believe Horos protected them, but a joint omen from both Horos and Zorya? Something was definitely going to happen sooner or laater.

While the expedition headed back east to handle the bandits, they finally found a greathammer, though long outdated in usability.

Meanwhile, the town set to producing some items that would likely never fall out of usability- quite good gathering tools of spidersilk and wicker.

-------------
Turn 47
-------------

Pressing onwards, the expedition found yet another body of the restless dead and dispatched them in the usual manner.

-------------
Turn 48
-------------

Back in town, the first set of new gathering tools was claimed by An Anonymous Idiot who set out to finally gather some of that coal at the request of Drakenel. Provided they could get a forge set up soon, it would make a high quality fuel for the production of many pieces of equipment.

On the road to the bandit camp, a hexed container was found. Evil King supposed this to be the lost coffer of an elven noble.

It was a rather easy task, and rewarded some of the finest gems the humans had ever seen.

: It's odd, these diamonds are cut dwarven style. I wonder if the underhomes are still active?
: "Underhomes"?
: Oh, ahaha, don't mind me. I'm just thinking out loud.

That conversation could wait, after all, for it was time to confront the bandits who stole their things.

: Yeah, and why don't we just stab ya and be done with it?

: Really? You can't think that's a very good idea, now can you? *Light glints off her battle axe*
: Oh, and if you think that sounds bad? You oughta see the last guy who didn't do what she said.
: *Shakes head* I mean, really, ripping the guy's soul out into a wraith was bad enough, but then banishing it?
Mm, not to mention that axe of hers used to be the one used by pretty little me.

: Boss, I'm gonna suggest we rightly 'eff off, y'know?
: Hell, it ain't mutiny if I do it too, is it?

: Me give thankses. Me not think I get outta this alive!
: A talkin' rat? Since when does that happen?
: Quite often, actually.
: Yes, you'd be surprised.
: Is it coming with us, or what?
: Me is convinced. Me joins you now.
: Huh? I didn't say nothing about that.
: Me is convinced. Man said nothin'.
: ...He's not the sharpest tool is he?
: I mean, he is a rat.
: Me not sharpest tool. Me Redsnapper.
: :sigh:
: Never fear, fuzzy friend, I shall defend you! Now let us continue our journey!

And thus, the expedition was joined by a talking rat. Some weren't too happy that it felt like they'd traded valuable silver and gold for him, but others were more than happy enough to have more allies.

: ...We will make a strong team.
: Team, strong team! Yes, yes!

As most beasts are, Redsnapper was only suited for carrying jewelry. His natural weapons of claws and teeth would have to serve well on their own- truth be told, without any, his only strength was biting and clawing.

Now, back to the tale.

However as the team left the cave, they were met with a rather frightening sight.

It would seem Horos had been watching over them carefully- he must have been impressed for appearing in person was something a god had only done in legends. This quest they were given was of the utmost importance, and to progress it would seem they would have to head to the southern lands, nearby the Cosmic Tree's ruins.

All the while, Drakenel had been busy on other projects than just gathering baskets. A wolf fur brigandine with a special design of amber that sharpened the mind was the first of her creations she kept personally. With it, she was undeniably the most intelligent of the villagers- expedition included.

In the meantime, she began work on a Cabbage Patch- a simple enough job that gave her more than enough time to work out more plans in her head.

-------------
Turn 50
-------------

As dark falls to pitch levels, the expedition resumed their adventure northwards.

While looking behind them, Old Grey Guy spotted a ghostly light not too far from the town- a graveyard nestled in the forest, perhaps?

Their journey brought them into a new threat they had yet to see- reanimated bodies of animals.

: Friends of yours?
: No, friends they not! Friends they not!

Aside from some nasty poison, they weren't any more dangerous than perhaps the boars they'd fought not long ago.

Their loot however, was at least notable. A greatsword made of elven wood remains light but deadly while providing good defense: all reasons why Pharnakes trades in her present axe for it. She had been finding it more difficult to enter combat recently for despite her lethality with an axe, Shei-kun was rather concerned about her risk of getting wounded. Regardless, the benefits to her dexterity and will would be greatly appreciated.

Their last stop on this journey north was that topaz shrine spotted long ago.

A dark spell laid over the entire temple, trapping the souls of a few people there. Using her adept rituals, Evil King began to dispel the hex.

An unusual elven dance combined with the secrets of old magic was more than enough to rid the controlling hex upon the place. While everyone else gathered the topaz, it would seem Shei-kun had something to ask.

: May I ask what that dance was?
: It is a sacred part of rituals that we druids learned. That one in particular would be literally translated as "The Weave Through The Dark", though it is usually referred to as "A Dance Macabre", after the collections in which it comes from.
: I see...
: I'm sure you do.
: Huh?
: Your senses- I can detect that the Sixth Sense has awakened within you. As I danced, did you see the trails and waves my fingers left in the air?
: I could. Was that the spell doing that? I thought I was hallucinating.
: Indeed. It is a rare talent you have, one typically only gained through material means.
: Er...Do you think you could help me make it stronger? I want to protect my friends in every way possible.
: Your cause is noble indeed, much more than I've seen in other practiioners. I'd be delighted to try, and though I cannot guarantee any results, I believe the best way to grow magical connections is to practice them.

It was on that night, the expedition had come together and finally decided to call themselves Dance Macabre. As both followers of Horos and survivors in this shadowy land, what else had they done but find ways to weave through the darkness?

------

Voting time! We have unlocked the cabbage patch and it will be made in a few turns. In the meantime, we have another research point to spend on new discoveries. Given the large supply of gems we have and the new coal mining business, we could research jewelry and fill up these empty slots of ours. We could also go research silver and weapons, or a wood type to try and make some fancier buildings or weapons.

The votes for the children will remain the same for now, as none grew up this session, but I'll open voting for actions again.

What shall Dance Macabre do?:
1.: Keep exploring the North, we just got here
2.: Go check out Horos's quest or the Cosmic Tree quest while we go south?
3.: Pick up some of our gatherers from town and gather up a storm (Silk and whatever's valuable nearby)?
4.: Try the east again, for whatever reason
5.: Try the west again, for whatever reason

Voting will be open until the 17th.

Just a reminder, if you want to be added to the villager list and have any specific requests, please do put it in bold. It makes it easier on me when I'm skimming through while checking for votes.

(And yes, I did forget to name the expedition until the end. I...did the same thing for the town name too. I'm great at this, you see.)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

As a secondary note, I'm quite sure that bandit event happens whenever you have a decent amount of precious metals with you, anything second tier, really. There's quite a lot of outcomes for it, and this was one of the okay ones.

Also, the lighting storm thing was me picking the wrong option, but I'd like to think it's somewhat in character anyways.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, is the only way to gain children to either build a cabbage patch or gain them through random events on the worldmap?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, the plot seems to be thickening, both in the game and in the weaving narrative for the LP.

My vote is to listen to our god and head south to go deal with things there.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, is the only way to gain children to either build a cabbage patch or gain them through random events on the worldmap?

Yep, though rarely two people will get married and a child will be found in the fields the next day. I wasn't kidding when I said that my best file ran a refugee camp. I think at least half of my 50 people were kids I saved from world map events.

With this additional events pack active I'm seeing a whole lot less slavers than I usually do. I mean, we got an elf though, so I can only complain so much.

Edit:

Another thing I kind of skimmed over is the Blessings we picked up. These are just temporary buffs, usually +5, to a certain stat and they last for a certain number of turns (usually 5, 15 , or 30). The Sacred Tree shrine we can make not only removes the basic curses we can pick up, but also stops the timer on blessings for anyone inside the town. This does mean you can usually end up with people in town with 80 turns of +5 Strength on them, because those duration will continue to stack.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 14, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m thinking we should research Jewellery so that we can give our adorable rat buddy some nice bling that hasn’t been picked from dead bodies.

As for what Dance Macabre should do, I believe the only course of action is to follow Horos’ guidance and go where he asks us. We have been yet to be led astray by them and we have no reason to do so.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I say we hit up thr place to see and then go do our God quest use that blessing most efficiently. In thr journey we drop off our loot and research jewely. We should have enough to get some good pieces of tier two/three gear.

Also, sign me up with my username. The next female recruit, and a witch if possible cuz witches are cool

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DelilahFlowers posted:

I say we hit up thr place to see and then go do our God quest use that blessing most efficiently. In thr journey we drop off our loot and research jewely. We should have enough to get some good pieces of tier two/three gear.

Also, sign me up with my username. The next female recruit, and a witch if possible cuz witches are cool

Yep, I've already got you on the list from earlier- you're at the top, Meinberg is next, and Slaan after that. I'll make sure you're the witch we get with the next kid, (that is, provided they don't have a personal talent.)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I don't know why, but I get super-attached to rats and spiders in this game and try to keep them alive above and beyond any reason.

There's something to be said about watching a rat out-debate an elf and a spider out-craft a dwarf.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Two legs bad. Four legs good. Eight legs better.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Oh, it’s a bit late, but I’m happy to throw in my username, though I don’t expect to appear. Enjoying this LP a lot!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Is Horos upset with our lack of progress?

Otherwise Gather everything for wood science!

EDIT: We're godbound then!

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 15, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

my dad posted:

I don't know why, but I get super-attached to rats and spiders in this game and try to keep them alive above and beyond any reason.

There's something to be said about watching a rat out-debate an elf and a spider out-craft a dwarf.

I had a pair of spiders that came at the same time so I named 'em Miram and Webster after the dictionary. Miriam got critically wounded by a bunch of scavenger attack and didn't make it. It was tragic.

I think I get super-attached to any unusual unit, really. Spiders, rats, pigs, dwarves, elves, or anything classified as a Mythical, really. Some of it's because of the power, while I guess the other half is because they're so weak and I know I can't make them any better. My personal favorite was a Pineconette who had literally no useful skills or equipment slots and 6 HP to his name.

Really though, with enough amber necklaces any beast type can be a big help around town.

Slaan posted:

Two legs bad. Four legs good. Eight legs better.

:hai:

I need to see if I can mod this game into letting me start with just animals. That ought to be an interesting game.

jimmydalad posted:

Oh, it’s a bit late, but I’m happy to throw in my username, though I don’t expect to appear. Enjoying this LP a lot!

On the list! And don't worry, you'll probably show up. I tend to expect around 20 - 30 units by the endgame without a cabbage patch.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Is Horos upset with our lack of progress?

Otherwise Gather everything for wood science!

This is actually just him letting us access the God's Quest- turn 50 seems a bit late actually, but he won't be particularly bothered if we just ignore it for now. It does have helpful rewards, though, provided we can see it to its conclusion. It's a pretty decently high level encounter, though.

Around turn 200 is when we'll really need to start hoofing it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Listen to our god

The last time we didn't listen to a god we got zapped by lightning.

Also I am getting a kick out of how hardcore lady elf me is.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That rat has 24 loving armor. Naturally. :psyduck:

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Drakenel posted:

That rat has 24 loving armor. Naturally. :psyduck:

The beefiest boi...

Should also be a fabulous boi, so go for jewelry. Let the team continue exploring where they are and later gather some rare materials if they get a chance.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Also voting for rat-bling because it's nice to see a giant rat that isn't just Baby's First Dungeon Enemy.

I also want to start working towards that Sacred Tree Shrine you mentioned because obviously the Iron Chef wants to wander around with a silly amount of stacked buffs on her.

As for what the Danse Macabre does... I don't know, keep exploring where you already are I guess and try not to get our new rat-friend killed.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Let's research jewellery, a wood type of your choice, and silver, in that order.

Let's keep exploring the North, and hold off on Horos' quest until about turn 100 - 120ish to be on the (fairly) safe side.

Black Robe posted:

the Iron Chef wants to wander around with a silly amount of stacked buffs on her.

As for what the Dance Macabre does... I don't know, keep exploring where you already are I guess and try not to get our new rat-friend killed.

Funnily enough, 'Dance Macabre' translates into 'Escape from the Kitchen in a Hurry' in an ancient language

Especially when there's an Iron Chef around

A dance with the dead does seem like more viable option

And it's almost like someone's written music on that subject

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The developers like their rats. In Thea 2 you start by choosing a Chosen One that represents the player and is game over if they die. You can make your Chosen One a rat, and get an achievement for it.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
I'll throw a vote behind Jewelry. Need to accessories for Rat. And we got some nice gems from a lot of events.

As for what to do? I vote Pick up some of our gatherers from town and gather up a storm (Silk and whatever's valuable nearby). I'm not really sure what all material we have on hand at the moment, but I'd be crafting up a storm to get those research points. Can always rip stuff apart later if its not super useful.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Alright, votes are tallied, and we're going for rat bling and checking out what our god wants us to do.

I'm likely not going to be pursuing the God's Quest in its entirety just yet, because we're still lacking a bit in power to do so. I'll see what capabilities jewelry can get us to though.

For research, our other choices will a wood type (Dark or Elven), then Silver or the Tree shrine. It's a tie, so I'll just make a call based on the scenario as usual.

Zengetsu posted:

I'd be crafting up a storm to get those research points. Can always rip stuff apart later if its not super useful.

That's my usual philosophy. Swords are relatively cheap, so I tend to mass produce those, and I end up scrapping the weaker ones over time. It's nice to have a shield and sword to throw at any new kid who just grew up.

Fat Samurai posted:

The developers like their rats. In Thea 2 you start by choosing a Chosen One that represents the player and is game over if they die. You can make your Chosen One a rat, and get an achievement for it.

You know, I think I seriously underestimate how many times I would pick to start as a rat. I might have to pick up Thea 2 at some point, as I've really heard nothing but good things about it so far.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I would definitely recommend Thea 2, especially since the game is practically finished content-wise. It feels like a near different game, same setting, same strategy genre. But the combat is entirely different. There is a field of battle, like a typical card game, no ordered pairs. Order of attack is based on time (seconds). No division between attackers and strategy and they aren't used up, but you are limited in what you can play by "points". 1 use of a card is 1 point, and using the same card (for the same attack or another option they have) takes 2 points, increasing by increments of 1. The feel of combat is entirely different, expanded beyond the first game. Lots more considerations than before.

There is a lot to go on about, but that is the biggest difference between 1 and 2.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 7: Striga Hunter G (Turn 51 - 63)

----------
Turn 51
----------

Ah, the story continues.

Some of you might know that jewellery was a common craft of Goatmurdered's early years. However, it is easy to forget the power that lies in such ornaments. In fact, even Drakenel, the village's most rational thinker and non-believer in magic, doubted not their power.

It was by this, the two crafters of the town could come together for a time, despite their mutual dislike of each other, and design a new project.

: Even still, I'd think re-creating some plate armor would suit our expedition better.
: You would, wouldn't you? You are quite predictable after all- are you sure all those raw vegetables aren't going to your head?
: Tch, I'd just rather be using our valuable resources before they get stolen again.
: I could keep that from ever happening again.
: We'd all prefer if you didn't. You'll probably just put a hex on the whole thing, witch.
: Speaking for everyone else now, are we? Still so exhaustingly willful...and judgemental. I'm no witch, and besides, I know nothing of hexes.
: You're not fooling me, and you never will.

: Hah, I don't need to. Besides, all this has given me a new idea, one I'll talk about with my new apprentice.

This mention of an apprentice was, in fact, true. One of the older children, later in adolesence than the others had begun following Black Robe around.

Meanwhile...

The expedition waged war against the undead in the north.

Whereas we've seen most of the dangerous skeletons, Unliving Corpses is where that danger rises. Still wearing fitting armor but being immune to pain makes these hard to destroy by normal means.

Though, for Dance Macabre, the common strategy was to level one with a spear charge and then finish them by attacking their head directly. Our combat instructors still teach these historical techniques, just in case, though the undead are by far very few these days.

---------
Turn 52
---------

With the end of the darkness nearing, the expedition remembered the visits they had been paid by the gods recently. Though there was much to explore in the north, the thought it wise to go seek out Horos's call to the south.

On their southerly trip, they found themselves faced with a ruin. After dispatching the remaining undead there, they found some notable supplies in form of quartz and malachite.

In the end, it didn't seem as if there was too many things to be found in the north either. Was the east the only profitable region?

---------
Turn 53
---------

As the sun rose over the horizon, the survivors found themselves more experienced.

For Dance Macabre, much of it was physical experience. The never-ending trek across the world surely kept the body in good shape. In other developments Samovar was beginning to warm up to the "furball", as he called Redsnapper, while Pharnakes was beginning think a little bit harder about things after hearing Evil King speak on some subjects.

Shei-kun, as ever, continued to plan for protecting her friends in every circumstance.

Back in town, Drakenel began to work out very complicated formulas- arithmetic to whose uses had long since been forgotten, believing they may have a use related to their survival. Meanwhile, Anonymous had been growing more muscle since he'd began working in the coal mines, as after all, it is not only hard work but he would be the only one around to save himself should he slip down.

Drakenel saw presently no use with the enchanted bone they'd found, so she went out to make herself a pretty necklace- simply as practice. She theorized it would turn out quite nicely. After all, she'd just finished the cabbage patch.

As the Dance Macabre rounded the coastline, the sun began to rise...

---------
Turn 53
---------

They continued heading south, heading back for the village to resupply when the sky suddenly darkened again.

: Bah, drat th- *mmphph*
: Thanks, Ogs.
: *Nods*
: *Mmmpgh* -you sonofa- *mmphph*
: Ah, Perun again? It would seem that this is no ordinary storm.

: Behind me, friends, I know how to hold this at bay!

True to her word, Shei-kun had been devising plans for storm safety. With Pharnakes timing out the blows between each strike, they charged forward with Shei-kun deflecting debris as they made for more cover. Though it was arduous, and they were nearly struck once or twice, they made it through without losing anything.

: Haha! There is nothing I cannot defend against!
: Eeeeee! We winners!

After the event, a short conversation was had between Shei and the elf druid.

: Could you see the magical trails there?
: That time, yes. But...you're telling me I witnessed Perun himself unleash that storm?
: Indeed, I supposed you would have. Such is the nature of your gift- it is the ability that served oracles in the old times. Our training isn't getting too far, however, I think for now we need to get you a physical catalyst.
: And that would be?
: A ring, a staff, anything you could use to help focus your powers, really. The primary concern would be the material. I'll meet with one of the crafters to see what they can do about it.

---------
Turn 54
---------

Though, it would seem the crafters had a little more on mind for the moment. A group of undead had made it to the town's gates and set upon entering the town with ill intent.

: Oi, I thought the expedition was supposed'ta take care of this stuff!

: *Crushes the skeleton's skull* They ain't can't be everywhere at once, ya know. These weaklin's ain't so bad though.

: Easy enough.

The village wasn't defenseless, after all. These were but a minor encounter.

---------
Turn 55
---------

On the expedition's way back to town, however...

: Bison?

: BISON!

: Hmph, bison.

There was an unusually large amount of attention put into that journal entry, and though it seems odd, we have no reason to not accept it as truth.

---------------
Turn 56 - 57
---------------

Now having safely arrived at town, bison free, the town dropped off its gems and other loot of the journey, prompting the beginnings of some more crafting.

Though, 'twould seem their return was well timed, for not far away from the town lied a traveling band of undead more powerful than what they usually saw. If it reached the town, it would almost surely fall. They would have to intercept that before the enemy had a chance.

Yet, before that, Old Grey Guy was insistent on checking out that graveyard first.

A peculiar find, a still surviving Westernlander creation. Yet not all was as it seemed, at first.

: Elvish? Let me read that...

: 'Ey, Grey, that's-
: *Raises fingers to lips*
: What's with these silver chains?
: That would suggest something dark lies within.

: ...I've never once heard of an elven striga.
: Look, I like my loot as much as the next guy, but I don't like this.
: No, I cannot wait any longer! My life up until now has been only to reach this moment alone!
: What in Horos's backside-

: Begone, chains! Simon, old friend, I will relieve you of your curse now!

: Everyone, strike without hesitation!

Bursting from beneath the nearby ground came two of the horror's thralls, and from each corner of the room, a frenzy of frightened bats!

: Ack, they're everywhere!
: Defensive stance, Pharry, defensive stance!

: Eee! Many bat, too many bat! Me hates bat!
: Not arguin' with that!

: Og, watch it! *Jumps in*
: Hsss!
: Hrk! *Falls after taking the hit*
: No, Sam! Rgh, die, you fiends! *Thrusts spear*
: Hraaagh...!

--

: It ends here, Simon!
: You worthless mound of lies, you can't hope to stop me alone!
: T-that's 'cuz he ain't alone, blood breath!

: Aaaargh! NOOOOoooo...!

: Master- hraak...!

: Got 'em!

With but a final few bats to kill, the arduous fight was finally over. The spoils were astounding, far better than what they'd thought they would find.

A Wise Man's Arm, a very light staff for those who can't afford to carry much...

Mithrill, the miracle metal that formed the miltaries of elves and dwarves alone. Incredibly light, sharp, and hard, it makes for some of the best swords, spears, shields, and armor imaginable.

And if to demonstrate its power, a Mithrilldus encrusted with rubies was with it- a one handed sword as powerful as any of the two handed ones they'd used thus far, and nearly one sixth the weight.

Yet, that all came at a price. Samovar's wounds were grave and he stood on the edge of death, while there were also many questions as to Old Grey Guy's actions...

--------------
Turn 58
--------------

: ...Y'know, it ain't a bad day to be free of a curse? Heheh--rgh! Ah...
: Must you always make the craziest gambits? Nevertheless, please, save the celebrations for once you've recovered, my old friend.

As Old Grey Guy set to gathering medicinal herbs, Shei-kun and Pharnakes took to treating the wounds as best they could. Fat Samurai's wounds were but mere scratches and she refused help until Sam had recovered.

However, Rocket Baby and Evil King sought to interrogate Old Grey Guy now, rather than later.

: You want to explain what sorta godsdamned trick you've been pullin' on us?
: I never expected I'd ever reveal myself, but I never expected I'd be free of my curse either.
: A curse, you mean one from that striga? My magic never registered any lingering hex upon you.
: If only but it were a hex... no, it was a mental curse- the overwhelming pressure of guilt. I have been reminded of it every time I have seen the moon, and I have never been able to forget that ghostly light.
: Oi, so what'd you do that's so bad?
: Simon...he was my brother, and I did some things he saw as pure betrayal. Needless to say...I did not handle it well, and things only grew worse from there. His hatred of me overtook him, and when he died, I knew he was to become a striga.
: But this Simon, he was an elf, if I'm not mistaken? You are a pure-strained human, a Westernlander, even.
: I was his adopted brother, 'tis why I know how to read and write Elvish. That inscription was my own.
: Intriguing, yet I am left with more questions than I began with. There is far more than it seems to you, Old Grey Guy.
: Can I ask you one more thing for now, Boss?
: Yes, what?
: Since when were you and Sam old friends? I didn't hear of this before.
: I'm hoping Sam will be able to answer that for you. Mind helpin' me make sure that happens?

--------------
Turn 59 - 63
--------------

In time, those questions would be answered, but in the meantime, Samovar made a lucky recovery. Upon their return to town, there was much excitement regarding the tale of a dead striga and the precious metals recovered from it.

The experiments in making jewelry had found success and members of the team ended up with some pieces worthy of note.

: Ah, Drakenel, do you perchance still have that enchanted bone?
: Nah, sorry. Already made this funny necklace with it. It glows and stuff like I figured it would.
: Ah, perfect! Could I have that beautiful piece of work?
: If you like it that much, sure. Just be careful wearing it, that light makes your eyes go all funny.
: Shei-kun will appreciate this greatly, thank you.
: Aw, hell, I'm just glad someone appreciates the quality of my work.

: Here, you take this ring with you too. I liked it, but I kept havin' to take it off to do any work, so it's not like I'm using it.
: This is quite beautiful as well! Thank you.
: It's just the product of my genius. Y'see, I've been doing all sorts of work on new plans and I was starting to think about what I could do to make it better. I think it's working out, don't you? Oh, but how does this compare to elven work? I'm sure that stuff's real pretty-
: *Slips the ring on* Ah, but what about that mithrill?
: Oh, Horos! That's right, Oh, I'm gonna make such amazing things with that...! *Runs off*
: By Veles, she talks too much.

---

: Say, you're Drakenel's older sister, right?
: No. Related, though.
: Eh, anyways, I noticed you were eyeing this ring. It doesn't do anything, so go ahead and have it.
: Why?
: Payment for services rendered. Now go tell your urchin of a sister to stop making faces at me through her window. My concentration is ruined thanks to her, and I've got rather pressing things to do.
: ...Yeah, okay.

New accessories in tow, the expedition has a brief party in celebration of their recent exploits and the party, Though, they know that group of undead lies not far away- there's no time to party.

They approached carefully, with a plan. The undead looked like soldiers, which means a tough fight, but Evil King brought up that in her experience the undead often retain some instinct. In this case, she hoped they would have retained an instinct to retreat in face of an ambush.

Some well placed footfalls later, and the band of undead was dispersed swiftly. Many of them still remained to walk the lands, but individually they'd be easier to deal with later on.

Upon the defeat of these restless bodies, the number of workers at Goatmurdered's kitchen increased to two. Black Robe had indeed taken another apprentice, and this one had just finished her occult rite of passage.

: Aaand...we're done! Now then, your new title is now Delilah Flowers. May your powers bring us control and stability to Thea.
: ...Um, sure. Yay.
: Really, you ought to be more excited! You're the first witch without a demonic bloodline!
: ...Right. Um, y'know...I need to put some more bandages on.
: Is it eating through the bandages still?
: Yeah...I figured spider silk would hold longer...but...Anyways, can I go back to the fields, Auntie?
: It's Sage Black Robe to you now, and yes, you can go. Be back at dusk for more hexing circle training.
: Aw...
: For Horos's sake, we're almost done with them. Now go mine coal or whatever it is you normally do.
: It's vegetables, but whatever. Yay...
: (That is the most sluggish girl I've ever seen. Honestly!)

Delilah proved all of Black Robes theories to be a success, that indeed, a witch could be trained without a proper bloodline- it just needed time. The new witch was by all means not nearly as powerful as, say, The Great Evil King, but she was a natural magic user.

Though, unfortunately, that issue with the caustic, venomous blood kind of made having her work in the kitchen basically impossible. She'd have to find another one for that, another one that wasn't so resistant like Drakenel, but not as lethargic as Delilah.

And as with any passing of time, the people's experience grew. For the most part, this was but more solidifying upon strengths, and in the case of Fat Samurai, quite literally Strength.

In the next few days, Drakenel finished researching the properties of silver, realizing it's usefulness and being ready to take advantage of its ready supply.

This usefulness was realized in the form of decorations for the time being, ones Evil King assured her were quite powerful.

: You tryin' to tell me I can see the future?
: Well, sort of. It's a native power of silver, and it's quite a long story...

Though, some other decorations were made too.

: Ah, these do match quite nicely with my eyes! Ahaha, it just makes me feel so light, like I'm ready to dance!
: Glad you like 'em! They're nothing much, really, though if anything, you make 'em look good!
: Aw, thanks! I'll have to be sure I don't lose them while I'm out with the expedition.
: Speaking of that, you ever planning on coming back and staying here for a while? Robe's starting to scare me more and more.
: Really, now, she's not that bad. A bit terse, a bit frightening, but still-
: She turned one of those girls in the fields into a witch.
: I-I mean, that sounds a bit-
: She bleeds poison now. I have to keep making her bandages because the stuff is caustic and disintergrates them.
: :stare:

What strange and shocking times these were. Well, some of it was more surprising back then, but still.

That's all I can tell for now. Until next time, dear listeners...

-----

Note:

Holy lezcos, that 3 skull encounter but two turns away from town was two Unliving Corpses and 3 Skeletons- I've seen 4 skull encounters easier than that! It's a really good thing we came back.

Also, Samovar passed two roughly 15% chances of death there. Fun, right?

And I elected to take silver to get the extra +5 of the resource. Those silver brooches are no joke.

For reference, Fat Samurai now has Fast Reaction which is piercing damage in Physical and Cure Sickness challenges (to make best use of her high strength), while Pharnakes now has Light Steps which is piercing for Hunting and Stealth (so she can make use of that ridiculous Dexterity/Stealth score of hers.)

Shei-kun now has 5 Sixth Sense (Leech damage in Hex and Tactical), Evil King now has 10 Feint (Poison damage for Social And Tactical to go with her 9 Speech, and Rocket Baby now has 8 of both Find Weakness and Diviniation (Leech for Social/Tactical and Poison for Hex/Intellect respectively.)

We'll now essentially do very good in a lot of non-combat challenges, especially hex and social.

Anyways, voting time!

We're still headed to the god's quest for now, given I forgot how much a sidetrack this would be. On the other hand, we have mithrill now!

That being said, what do we research now?

Also, as great as it is having Redsnapper around, I'm a bit leery as to taking him with us regarding the present danger we're seeing. 25 Health is a lot, but none of that is actual shielding, so every hit he takes is a wound for every point. He also doesn't do very much damage, presently, but he is quite useful in physical challenges and makes a decent meatshield for non-combat challenges

What will we do?:
A. Keep him with us for physical challenges, and try to keep him out of danger.
B. Have him trade places with Anonymous, our strongest and best gatherer.
C. Have him trade places with either Vodkahead or Arzaac, our weaker gatherers.
D. Just put him back in town for now.

Votes will be called on the 21st!

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 19, 2020

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

You only live once.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
At least SOMEONE appreciates steady, skilled craftsmanship! :argh:

and A. Honestly, every warm body is helpful in challenges for the expedition. Even if they're bad at it, the rat is still a bonus or can take a shielded hit for a more useful character.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Once we start hitting the cap size for the expedition, then we can send our rat friend back home, but yeah, definitely support him sticking with the group for now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

D The rat should work in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
A or B - meatshields are always needed but I usually like to have the good gatherers with the party to pick up the rarer stuff