Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have known the pain of stubbing my toe and/or tripping on unexpected rocks while being too entranced by the mountain scenery during hikes, please use the proper constant 3-second up/down visual scan for the rest of the game.

That's what the terrain scanner is for! It scans way the hell ahead of you and marks upcoming stuff with the little icons so you don't have to do the panicked rabbit visual scan thing! Truly Kojima has thought of everything, including the human desire to not trip over rocks and look like a dumbass online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Kurieg posted:

No he's not. Jesse Corti is doing the voicework.

Oh. Here I was willing to excuse the poor voice acting because Del Toro was inexperienced. That dude has done some excellent work, what the hell happened here?

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I've loved watching LPs of MGS games but never wanted to play one myself but man, bleak, beautiful landscapes to get lost in are my poo poo. That PC price tag is making me sad though.

Up till now screenshots hadn't sold this game to me but you've done a great job showing off how good it looks in motion. I also appreciate how much you're allowing the game to breathe too. Will be in for the duration :)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, thank you CJ for actually looking ahead as you walk and not just six feet in front of you.

I don't know why so many people play 3rd person games like that, but it drives me insane.
Also, thanks CJ for having object permanence and not letting the Bridges depot exit your consciousness the instant the city entrance checkpoint buildings block it from your line of sight as you walk through them, unlike uhhhh certain players I tried to watch on launch before settling on That One Mortal Kombat channel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's very odd to me because the terrain is almost exactly like the hills outside of Edinburgh which I've hiked up before, also parts of the pennines or the lake district, very weird sense of deja vu watching the video. It's rare you see a place that you feel like you've been before.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 1, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Same but some coastal and inland areas of Brittany. Could swear I've ran all over those rocks back when I was just an annoying little poo poo.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Northern Norway is basically this landscape, but occasionally trees do actually grow and bring colour.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finally catching up on finishing the video and man, I'm impressed again at how good looking the game is.

Even on my decrepit old PS4 Amateur or filtered through youtube, it's gotta be a contender for best looking game environments. Stuff like this and some other particular areas I remember coming up a while later are some real standouts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Compositionally they're very simple environments really there's no large scale vegetation or complex overlapping geometry, just really high res rocks and really good (presumably procedural) texture work to put the moss on everything from a consistent angle. But no long grass or trees to render.

They picked a really good environment to render and used the simplicity of the scene to cram as much detail into the assets as possible and as a result it looks really good. As well as doing a really good job of actually representing the environment they're going for.

You get the nice contrast in colours between rock and moss and sky too, so it's still vibrant if limited in the palette, though the UI and artificial elements also pop out well as a result. Oh and the lighting is really good too, someone sat down and really paid attention to how things look under a grey sky.

It's amazing what very good art direction will do for a game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Compositionally they're very simple environments really there's no large scale vegetation or complex overlapping geometry, just really high res rocks and really good (presumably procedural) texture work to put the moss on everything from a consistent angle. But no long grass or trees to render.

That's something I was thinking about in Horizon Zero Dawn. Its environments are also fantastic looking (and I like them for aiming for a more recognizable chunk of future North America), but I remember a lot more areas with trees or structures mixed in that look a bit more obviously game-y compared to the larger environment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fish Noise posted:

Also, thanks CJ for having object permanence and not letting the Bridges depot exit your consciousness the instant the city entrance checkpoint buildings block it from your line of sight as you walk through them, unlike uhhhh certain players I tried to watch on launch before settling on That One Mortal Kombat channel.

I tried watching a dozen or so different LPs of this game on youtube, it was horrible. Filtering out the insanely obnoxious ones still left the really bad ones.

So, it was amazing to see CJ step out of the underground bunker, look up and see that the crematorium was right there in plain sight behind the mountains. The same when he was heading back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I may be self centered for a moment, it's really gratifying to see stuff like that acknowledged by the viewers. I really did put so so so much effort into choreographing this LP. The whole thing is a labor of love, as all my LPs are. And it's totally worth it! I love doing it!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Fun fact: the red mattress Bridget is lying on is a real thing used in hospitals. It's usually only for patients whose skin is so fragile they cannot risk friction or who are very prone to bedsores (malnourished patients, cancer patients, hospice patients, etc). It's inflated via an air pump at the foot of the bed and the air-filled tubes ensure the patient's weight doesn't rub them against the bed---which is how bedsores usually start.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be a bit spoiled as this is the only LP I've seen of the game and I hike IRL so I'm sort of used to knowing what direction I'm looking in. But it's kinda funny if a lot of youtubers struggle with it :v:

You do time things well for a game that thus far has been walking and cutscene, it hasn't been at all dull.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i haven't seen people getting lost - though admittedly i kind of went out of my way to not watch LPs of this for more than, like, the tutorial area. but i have seen people just sort of bullheadedly wading through a river until their endurance completely drained and they got washed away, losing all their cargo, all while the big screen filling tutorial saying "if your endurance gets low stop and wait for it to recover" was right loving there.

in general, outside of the stealth segments (and honestly even then in certain situations) standing still is always 100% safe. unless your sam is already out of control, you can almost always just stop and stand still, take stock of the situation, let your endurance recover. even if you're in a chest deep river or on a nearly vertical cliff, sam can just stand still and won't fall over.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If there was one thing the LP I watched did that was lacking is using ropes everywhere. There was always red terrain that just gets in your way and for all the cliffs he had to climb, he had to go back down and it was exhausting to maneuver around and with the rare moment of slipping and falling that would have been avoided. I wouldn't consider it boring and you had to use up resources for it, but saving time cuts down on possible damage and increases Likes. I get it was a day 1 thing, but you are climbing mountains without ropes. Chalk it up to playstyle, but it would have helped the guy who did very well through it all.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

The whole thing is a labor of love, as all my LPs are. And it's totally worth it! I love doing it!

:thunk: recalls Dead Space 3 LP where he let crow and myself on to euthanize the commentary with puns, Stargate references, and sympathy for Norton

Also, it's good to know that the secret to LP success is looking up!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dash Rendar posted:

:thunk: recalls Dead Space 3 LP where he let crow and myself on to euthanize the commentary with puns, Stargate references, and sympathy for Norton

Also, it's good to know that the secret to LP success is looking up!

Yeah, that was a labor of love too! Yknow, like the labor pains when you give birth!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you put your own ladders and ropes down then? Curious how that works if so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Come the next video you'll find out!

The answer is yes, you can put ropes and laders down literally anywhere you like, among other cool things. The caveat of course is that you have to bring enough ladders or ropes to get where you want to go, meaning you have to physically carry them with you, which is extra weight on your back until you can make use of them.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
I'm just gonna leave this here

https://twitter.com/SatansJacuzzi/status/1256735108570255361

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sam Order 'Wiches

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Using my exo suit to hand deliver a pork chop sandwich I have decided to call Tomorrow Is In Your Ham

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh oops, I have just realized I was wrong in the commentary for this most recent episode. I said I would be bringing in co-commentators for episode 3, but they actually will not be here until episode 4. Sorry ChaosArgate and liquidypoo! I guess they'll just be haunting me like BTs until then.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
So, the antagonists are normally invisible to regular folks, are twisted forms of former human beings, and tend to cause explosions when they make contact with people. However, they don't seem to be enjoying it...

...are we fighting Heaven Frown?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

Sorry ChaosArgate and liquidypoo! I guess they'll just be haunting me like BTs until then.
oh no

Oh no.

THAT'S NOT TAR.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Melaneus posted:

So, the antagonists are normally invisible to regular folks, are twisted forms of former human beings, and tend to cause explosions when they make contact with people. However, they don't seem to be enjoying it...

...are we fighting Heaven Frown?

This one took me a minute, I'll admit

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Re: IcelandAmerica, the other reason the game opts for that approach is obviously that it makes it more interesting to navigate. America has a lot of interesting and challenging terrain for hiking, but those are divided up by vast stretches of nothing, so to make the game actually fun to play you'd need it to be uniformly more rugged than it actually is.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I am very intrigued by the atmosphere in this game and eager to follow this LP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm mostly wondering if Sam just hucks ropes up cliffs overhand to climb them, whether he gets a grappling hook gun, or whether kojima designed an extremely angular techno lasso so he can rootin tootin his way up mountain faces.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 6, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He actually picks up special colored feathers that make his BB hop out of the pod and fly him around or run and jump faster for a short time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Love to see BB walking around in a tiny mech like a monkey.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Love to see BB walking around in a tiny mech like a monkey.

They already are!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

He actually picks up special colored feathers that make his BB hop out of the pod and fly him around or run and jump faster for a short time.

Crash Bandicoot remake sounds weird man

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Finally got a chance to watch, boy I was more right than I knew about the weird thematic name comment (Deadman and Die-Hardman? At least Bridget and Amelie are perfectly sane names introduced). Also, if that BT evasion bit is standard for the game, I think I'm noping out of trying this one personally; I'm bad enough at being overcautious in stealth games, dodging creepy invisible ghosts that try to pull you into doom tar would be too stressful over an entire game of it. Also still leaves me with my question of how in the hell they maintain any settlements in a world of murder ghost nuclear explosions, they obviously had no issues strolling around the incinerator building, what keeps BTs from walking around towns turning people into booms? Not to mention how lucky they are the incinerator itself doesn't go boom one of these times (granted, it seems automated which reduces the risk some although I expect it still needs maintaining) and leave the city screwed. Kind of surprised they don't have aircraft either, though if it gets caught by timefall given general aircraft maintenance requirements I imagine even a little aging would go... poorly for the plane/helicopter. Flying high over the clouds would seem to avoid that though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It'll be explained in depth a bit later but you may have noticed that when we exited Capital Knot City we passed through a force field that opened up for Sam. Basically those force fields are erected around major cities to keep BTs and the like out. Only problem there is, what happens if a BT gets created by a corpse inside a city? Hope you're checking up on your elderly relatives every day because if you don't hear from them for 48 hours, hoo boy. Hence the incinerators.

And speaking of which, the only reason there were a million of them this time was because of the proximity to the void out crater made in the first episode. There usually aren't that many presumably, even around incinerators that fart out chiralium from burned corpses.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 7, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They really should make an underground passage for the burners.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Also, if that BT evasion bit is standard for the game, I think I'm noping out of trying this one personally; I'm bad enough at being overcautious in stealth games, dodging creepy invisible ghosts that try to pull you into doom tar would be too stressful over an entire game of it.

Yeah, there's plenty of time without them and encounters don't necessarily last that long, but they were what made me drop the game eventually. Getting back to them after a long stretch without just made me realize how unfun I found them compared to the landscape traversal part of the game. Much happier to just watch someone else deal with them, because it's still a worthwhile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

They really should make an underground passage for the burners.

The ghosts might not care too much about that, and also they're presumably harder to avoid in a confined space.