Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Please remake the Underground games, thank you.

I miss the blood splatters an outrageous amount.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The menus and UI are absolutely terrible.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
gently caress the menus. Took me way too long to find free skate. How is free skate not a subset of the level select screen.

Anyway, anyone else feel that the ollie to beginning of trick combo button press is a bit off? I feel like in the originals you could almost start hitting the d-pad just before you let go of X so you got a bit more time to input your button combo. Now I feel like the ollie has to ‘complete’ before I can start pressing up, down, square or whatever.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

My only issue with the controls so far is revert to manual coming down a halfpipe after a special. I am having a lot of trouble hitting the manual consistently.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xinlum posted:

My only issue with the controls so far is revert to manual coming down a halfpipe after a special. I am having a lot of trouble hitting the manual consistently.

Try queueing the input up right as you revert, it won't combo it otherwise with the delay.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Iirc you just manualed out of very tricks in one and two right? Those were the ones I really thrashed so I'm still getting used to the timing and keep reflexively just landing manuals straight out of air tricks which is absolutely breaking my will to keep trying to get the sick combo challenge

Speaking of, that's absolutely the hardest one to unlock officer dick right? I was very confident I would easily knock that over today until I saw that one and have gotten real hung up on it. Some levels seem to have easily abusable sections and others dont so I've just done the ones with a nice easy vert into a long straight grind with easy wall jumps on each side because that's super easy for me to not gently caress up

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 5, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There were no manuals in 1 and 2 had no way to continue a combo out of a vert ramp.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm realizing the more I play that I almost never played without max stats and it's a real pain in the rear end to get more than two tricks in at once early on. My muscle memory is extra hosed because I played 3 and 4 on Gamecube too lol

The game really wants you to play with every skater too, it seems

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I've only played with CAS so far but it turns out you can reallocate points at any time. Slam that lip balance all the way to zero and put the points in ollie speed and habgtime so you can be better early on

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So apparently, every level in the game has a hidden Legendary Score challenge, beating them in 2 Minute Session unlocks a special Animated Board in the Skateshop, and they seem pretty rank:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can beat all the Sick Score challenges by starting a manual then doing manual tricks (press square/triangle/circle twice) a million times to rack up a multiplier then ending the manual. You can do the same thing with grinds if there's an infinite grind like a swimming pool you can do a couple laps around while racking up a 20x multiplier

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Waffleman_ posted:

There were no manuals in 1 and 2 had no way to continue a combo out of a vert ramp.

Why am I remembering abusing the gently caress out of manuals in 2? Was it grinds instead?

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I somehow missed the boat on these games when I was a teenager which is funny cuz I was an avid skater. I was just too into PC stuff (Doom, Quake, etc) by that time to be interested. Thinking of getting it now for PC. What would be the ideal controller to play it with?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Whatever feels good in your hand. The default answer is generally "Get an Xbox knock-off controller so the prompts just work", but I use a PS4 controller.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

prom candy posted:

Why am I remembering abusing the gently caress out of manuals in 2? Was it grinds instead?

I mean 2 added manuals and they were indeed a huge game changer for making combos as long as you want. Back then people just didn't hit vert ramps except at the end of a big combo. Reverts were a big deal sure but nowhere near the leap that manuals were

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can beat all the Sick Score challenges by starting a manual then doing manual tricks (press square/triangle/circle twice) a million times to rack up a multiplier then ending the manual. You can do the same thing with grinds if there's an infinite grind like a swimming pool you can do a couple laps around while racking up a 20x multiplier

Am I a dumbass or can you not so that grinding without jumping each trick

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

Am I a dumbass or can you not so that grinding without jumping each trick

Press some random face buttons while you're grinding and prepare to have your mind blown

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Which I miss because I suck at the infinite manual combos of 2+

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm realizing the more I play that I almost never played without max stats and it's a real pain in the rear end to get more than two tricks in at once early on. My muscle memory is extra hosed because I played 3 and 4 on Gamecube too lol

The game really wants you to play with every skater too, it seems

Also this, same thing when I go back to SSX, you get used to a max stat character who can do constant 1080s and then you start a new game and you constantly eat the pavement because you try to push way further than you can.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
has anyone mentioned the fact that the mall level is now a dilapidated piece of poo poo, and how it’s a little too on-the-nose both literally and figuratively

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

School 1 has messages on the screens by the pool talking about COVID precautions

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

Thanks for posting this. I'm having the hardest time with these. In the OG games you could just spam 900s and other specials and win competitions and get sick scores but you clearly cannot do that in this game. Sucks too because I prefer vert to street but I'll do whatever I need to do.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked that they updated some of the background art like the hangar with the old neversoft logo and posters was neat

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Super No Vacancy posted:

i liked that they updated some of the background art like the hangar with the old neversoft logo and posters was neat

Hangar is a big Neversoft tribute which is a pretty cool. Also a funny detail in it, is how shoved into a corner are a bunch of boxes for a knock off Guitar Hero called “Banjo Champion”

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ace Jameson posted:

has anyone mentioned the fact that the mall level is now a dilapidated piece of poo poo, and how it’s a little too on-the-nose both literally and figuratively

I thought it was kind of hilarious. Especially with the boarded up Vans store.

I don't like the level because I always hated the downhill maps but at least it's more visually interesting as I scream at my TV because I hosed up another combo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Waffleman_ posted:

School 1 has messages on the screens by the pool talking about COVID precautions

One of the very first customization options is to give your character a mask. It's surreal as hell and is gonna make coming back to this game years from now feel just a bit uncomfortable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Momomo posted:

One of the very first customization options is to give your character a mask. It's surreal as hell and is gonna make coming back to this game years from now feel just a bit uncomfortable.

To be fair, in several other countries people wear masks all the time if they get like a cold or something to be polite and not spread it around.

America is just kinda selfish about that stuff. Its possible we'll change after this, so masks will stick around and it won't be weird that way either. But that seems unlikely lol.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Just burned through both games and maxed out my skater. Then I saw the legend challenges and decided I'd had enough Tony Hawk for one day. Does anyone know if there's a challenge for finding all gaps again like THPS2?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah its in either the challenge list or cheevo list i think

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

feelix posted:

Press some random face buttons while you're grinding and prepare to have your mind blown

gently caress I totally forgot I could lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

There's a whole lot of clothes you can buy in the skate shop

lol how did I miss that

but guess what? still no leather jacket.

at least I have proper looking jeans now

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The tailslide the venice ledge may be the hardest challenge in this game for me. For some reason, I just cannot tail slide to the left, only to the right, and it wont count if you grind up the rail. Also, if you even touch a single grain of sand it spawns you across the map. I've even tried changing to a regular skater instead of a goofy skater to see if that would help but no dice. I've been doing smith grinds down this ledge for about an hour straight, and then can do a perfect tail slide on the ledge on the way back to the top of the stairs

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

feelix posted:

I mean 2 added manuals and they were indeed a huge game changer for making combos as long as you want. Back then people just didn't hit vert ramps except at the end of a big combo. Reverts were a big deal sure but nowhere near the leap that manuals were

oh i misread that as "there were no manuals in 1 and 2"

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

V for Vegans posted:

The tailslide the venice ledge may be the hardest challenge in this game for me. For some reason, I just cannot tail slide to the left, only to the right, and it wont count if you grind up the rail. Also, if you even touch a single grain of sand it spawns you across the map. I've even tried changing to a regular skater instead of a goofy skater to see if that would help but no dice. I've been doing smith grinds down this ledge for about an hour straight, and then can do a perfect tail slide on the ledge on the way back to the top of the stairs

I think the key with that one is you have to get it on the way up and not on the way down. Like, jump and then instantly grind, as opposed to setting up your landing timing on the ledge

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

lol how did I miss that

but guess what? still no leather jacket.

at least I have proper looking jeans now

Challenges can also unlock clothes

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Are there more specials that are unlockable? Christ Air was always a go-to for me but I can’t see it in the list.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Christ Air is a normal trick in this one, like it was in later games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

How the hell do you get the secret tape in School 1?

Game is good. I keep forgetting I'm switch and wondering why I'm going so slow so I gotta max my stats already...

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

How the hell do you get the secret tape in School 1?

Game is good. I keep forgetting I'm switch and wondering why I'm going so slow so I gotta max my stats already...

go up the ramp of what looks like a parking garage near the start, once you’re up top look for the rail that connects the roof to the green wavy roof. you don’t actually need to grind the rail to get to it, but jump across to the green and ride it all the way down and jump off

Ace Jameson fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 6, 2020

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I felt so loving stupid when I realised there was a ramp up there. I kept trying to ollie off the building in front of you at the start, then I saw a stat icon flying on top of the gym building after like 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poo poo, I got it backwards. I have the School 1 tape, its School 2 that I couldn't figure out how to get up to :doh: