Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Allosauroidea posted:

Though, I didn't know her JP description was 'Natural Born Mama'. That was just a bit... uhh

I don't even understand what the gently caress that was meant to convey :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

dungeon cousin posted:

Was this the generation where they buffed the X-[stat] items?

X Items got buffed in Sun and Moon. There's variations of them that increase stats more in multiplayer battles (if you have the new, this-gen-only item feature enabled) but the basic items are unchanged.

...Also "Natural Born Mama" is definitely a really weird title, even without any Implications.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

LiefKatano posted:

X Items got buffed in Sun and Moon. There's variations of them that increase stats more in multiplayer battles (if you have the new, this-gen-only item feature enabled) but the basic items are unchanged.

...Also "Natural Born Mama" is definitely a really weird title, even without any Implications.

Ah ok, thank you. I knew something happened with them this gen but I couldn't remember what.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

I have to wonder if it was a weird phonetic pun that only works in Japanese. It's the only guess I can come up with.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I disagree that Watchog is only a problem in this battle. When it most commonly appears, it's the right level to have Hypnosis, Confuse Ray, Super Fang, and no actual way to kill you. It's an utterly aggravating timewaster, and I hate it for that far more than for Retaliate.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Honestly I think Pidove's line would be happier and more interesting if it had the stats to use all the special flying moves it learns well. There really aren't that many flying special attackers, especially ones that are actually birds and not elementally-associated.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Allosauroidea posted:

Though, I didn't know her JP description was 'Natural Born Mama'. That was just a bit... uhh

:yikes:

Yeah, that makes it harder to accept that the design was an honest mistake, really. I don't know how you can spin that to be a relevant description of a working archaeologist with no mentioned children, no matter how it translates in the original.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, that makes it harder to accept that the design was an honest mistake, really. I don't know how you can spin that to be a relevant description of a working archaeologist with no mentioned children, no matter how it translates in the original.

Yeah, it definitely is weird. But when I ran the Japanese kanji through an online translator, it was shown as "Nachuraru bōn mama". In English, that's supposed to be "Natural bone mom", according to the translator. Which is...slightly better even though I have no idea why she's supposed to be a mom of some kind. Is the the mother of all the fossils in the museum?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Just gonna say we should probably not be relying on online translators to make this be slightly less dumb &/or bad

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It's in katakana, the words "Natural Born Mama" in english (bone and born sound the same but one makes more sense in context)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 5: Glistening Forest

Trouble in Pinwheel

There are two ways out of Pinwheel Forest--the road that goes straight and the path that winds through the woods. I will take the straight road after them! If they're not there, I'll block the exit. Would you please take the other way and check whether Team Plasma is hiding in there somewhere? You'll run into a lot of Trainers, but it's basically a single path, so I'm sure you won't get lost. Come on! Let's do this for Lenora's sake!

Found Team Plasma. Well that was easy.

...who names their kid Mayo? Right so Sewaddle is a pretty great Pokemon to use, Bug/Grass is great typing early on, and while it has horrendous weaknesses, well you have the rest of your team for that, surely. It start with Razor Leaf AND Bug Bite to deal some nasty damage, and you'll want to get it early due to Swadloon requiring happiness. You'll want to fully evolve it early too since Swadloon only learns Protect, but it's not worth keeping Sewaddle around to learn Stuggle Bug, or even Bug Buzz later on. You'll never get moves to hurt Steel and you'll be waiting a while to get strong moves as Leavanny, but it has a strong start and that's usually enough to carry.

It would be greater if we knew what two Pokemon will do. What I've heard is it's good to use Earthquake when your ally is floating!

Plasma Battle

When I'm through with you, you won't be able to chase us anymore!

With cool sunglasses, Sandile makes an impression, it's a pretty alright Pokemon that gets weighed down by all the lovely earlygame Ground moves like Sand Tomb and Mud Slap. Having Bite is real nice so it can contribute and Crunch just before evolving is nice. The only issue is that's all it'll really have for quite a while, since it evolves a little late for a Basic stage. Though, uh, AHEM, let's not get into lategame Basic Pokemon just yet lmao, you'll be waiting until it gets Bulldoze later on, but at least it can get coverage in Rock Tomb...

Too bad! I haven't got anything! If you want to get it back, you're just gonna have to look for my associates!

Ah whoops, went a little too far forward, there's a reason I came in here immediately and it might involve a new team member, always hard to tell.

Easy exp for Tristan, only a few more levels to go until he stops being poo poo!

Sorry! I'm empty handed. Do I look like the kind of girl to carry a heavy load? Better try somewhere else!

I only want to catch one thing in here at the moment, but might as well grab a couple things.

The perfect catch, Venipede isn't as immediately useful like Sewaddle, but it offers nice defense utility to various early game mons. Now it needs to get to level 19 to get a better move that isn't loving Pursuit, but it'll also get Bug Bite shortly before evolving, so it only takes a little love to become much stronger. If we could catch it one level earlier then it would have Rollout instead of Protect, but it's not a big deal. It'll get a great variety of moves later on and will be able to take down Steel types, but its somewhat early moves will be all it gets for a while and thankfully all it needs. It'll also learn more than just Protect as Whirlipede!

"Its bite injects a potent poison, enough to paralyze large bird Pokémon that try to prey on it."

Nice and simple nickname by AradoBalanga, I'm fine with whatever the thread votes for, I'll just catch the first one I find and slap it on.

Another Speed lowering Nature... okay. Again Milli won't be too amazing to start with, but Screech will carry it a long way. Even with STAB Poison Sting is weaker than Pursuit, but Poison damage and Poison Point means we'll be just fine. With 31/25/5/28/8/28 IVs, it's actually not a defensive tank at all, little annoying, but it means Milli will hit pretty hard lategame and will even out its Speed lowering Nature!

Pinwheel Outside

Alright, let's explore outside by healing our Pokemon. By hurting them first.

I assure you that won't do much.

Tough Trainer! I will make your Pokemon healthy. Around Pinwheel Forest, many Pokemon use moves to inflict problems such as poison and paralysis. If anything happens, let me know!

Should be a lot easier training up Milli with free healing so close. Great to have these so I'm not retreating to the center every few minutes. Also, combine these with Audino grinding and you can stay out as long as you want!

Please show me what kinds of Pokemon you are training!

This little trickster gets by its low attacking stats with Prankster, letting it use Stun Spore or Leech Seed or Growth with +1 priority. As a stone evolution, you should wait a little bit to evolve it, though Whimsicott and Lilligant are weird in that they still learn moves even after evolving, just not many. Best time to do it is level 26, when you learn Giga Drain, since it'll be around then you'll get a Sun Stone. You can get them from dust clouds, but this works out better. It'll learn Razor Leaf soon but it doesn't really have much oomph with those stats, you'll have to Growth up a few times so Mega Drain and the like can actually sting.

Now for the other version exclusive, though as we saw with the earlier trade, that's not really the case. Similar moveset to Cottonee, though Synthesis works better with its lower Speed and Magical Leaf is better than Razor Leaf, though Giga Drain makes it mostly worthless. Again, evolving at level 26 works good since there's some good moves Lilligant gets early. A lot easier to use, Own Tempo is a great ability to combo with Petal Dance later, but until you get some fun tools, it's a pretty standard slow Grass type that also suffers from lack of coverage, having Hyper Beam and Hidden Power as the only special coverage moves it learns. Hope you get a good one!

When you let a Pokemon evolve, it will be stronger, but if you don't let it evolve, it will learn moves quicker.

I will let you see what kind of Pokemon I have!

Thank you for not using Rock Blast twice.

Pokemon with the Sturdy Ability cannot be knocked out with one hit!

Didn't expect this to be the first encounter. Another duo of version exclusives but not really, this is why Lenora isn't a huge issue, Throh can take some punishment and then hit real hard with Vital Throw, or if you grind a little, you can oneshot Watchog with Revenge while tanking its full powered Retaliate. Otherwise it's pretty slow and needs TMs to hit Ghost types, but with a bunch of great early moves it can last for a fair while before lagging behind the rest of your team. Storm Throw will always crit making it an 80BP move basically, before STAB, and it gets Bulk Up later on to take even more hits, along with Endure. You can give it the standard physical TMs, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Poison Jab, Strength, nothing too crazy, it's a pretty alright Pokemon that sure has stats for a never evolver.

Definitely want to catch this mon quickly, since it definitely hurts!

"When it tightens its belt, it becomes stronger. Wild Throh use vines to weave their own belts."

Milli will be useful by the end of the update, but I don't fancy using Audino to grind too much, by using Trainers instead I can keep the overall exp gain low so I stay at lower levels so I have some modicum of difficulty in this series.

Anyway Tympole deals a bit too much damage, so out we go.

Corazon gets worn down due to being pretty fragile, but handles the 3 Tympole fine enough.

I will tell you 'cause you're strong! Only one piece of the challenge rock will be chipped off each day!

Hmm, okay.

Found a new Pokemon, but taking out a Throh first is easier said than done.

Let's catch this before it wrecks my whole team.

"They warn others of danger by vibrating their cheeks to create a high-pitched sound."

Finding hidden items is a breeze!

Subtle circle changes when we fight on the puddles compared to the ground or even the grass.

OK! I will catch some different Pokemon in Pinwheel Forest and have more friends!

I think Corazon is gonna have a good time.

My Fighting-type Pokemon! I train it to smash the challenge rock!

You'd think that Rock Smash would help you with this, but nope, just a Fighting type.

Definitely worth it.

It is important to make steady progress, little by little.

Ow, stop that.

I test the challenge rock every day with my Pokemon! Why don't you check out the challenge rock with a Fighting-type Pokemon?

Took a little bit to find, but until we get the Thunder Wave TM, I guess Lick will have to do?

"It fights by swinging a piece of lumber around. It is close to evolving when it can handle the lumber without difficulty."

Well that was fun, weren't we in the middle of something?

Since we need a rustling grass encounter, might as well take out one Audino. Sawk and Throh are supposed to be version exclusives, but thankfully you can obtain the other one in rusting grass, definitely a great way of doing it.

"The sound of Sawk punching boulders and trees can be heard all the way from the mountains where they train."

So remember when Throh could oneshot Watchog with little issue? What about a mon that can do that without taking a hit? Speed and Attack go a long way at the cost of slight fragility, which is just how I like it, both muppets offer different styles of play. Sawk gets slightly weaker moves though its high stats help ease that, then it gets Brick Break and a variety of TMs mid to lategame and can do you just fine for the rest of the game. It still has pretty good bulk compared to Throh and if you outspeed and KO a mon, you take less damage. It's insane for this early on, even if it doesn't do much else until later on when it gets coverage.

Alright, no more distractions, we've got thieves to chase down after all! Though we should go and check on Burgh, make sure he's doing alright.

"That's the theme of my research."

Oh look more trainers to fight, what a shame we'll have to delay the chase a little bit longer.

Why do Pokemon and people stay together...? I think we stick together because we are different.

Munna is actually really annoying to fight, a fair few early game mons are like that due to getting midgame support movesets that the AI just loves using.

Oh, you have it, too! Then let's have a Pokemmn battle to see who is stronger!

Tristan cannot catch a break right now.

You know, there's a pedestal at the entrance of each Pokemon Gym. If you get that Gym's Badge, your name will be carved there.

Please have a Roggenrola or something.

Knowing something and being able to do it seem pretty similar, but they can be very different.

Team Plasma hasn't come in this direction... the forest's bug Pokemon are quiet, too.

Fine, fine, onto the actual plot, bah.

Okay maybe one more rock shaped distraction.

Hamlet is my Herdier panic button.

A Ranger always has one of these. I'll give it to you!

The forest is alive... something changes every day, so it's fun to patrol!

Hmm... well surely one of the 156 Pokemon in this game would evolve via this rock, right?

"Leavanny dress it in clothes they made for it when it hatched. It hides its head in its hood while it is sleeping."

Ow, please stop that.

Ugh, it's been one step and already another encounter, it's jacked up way too high in this-

HOLY poo poo!!! I found a shiny already?! I didn't realise until it sparkled since it's not too different, but wow, guess we've found our Musical star!

"The leaves on its head are very bitter. Eating one of these leaves is known to refresh a tired body."

I'm so happy we got another really nice shiny and of course like with Wingull, I hope you believe this was legit. Because I can cheat my way into any encounter I fancy, I don't feel the point of faking this for... what, clicks? E-cred? Also monkey detractors best not get too excited, if I'm gonna use a shiny on my team, then it best show up before I gain too many levels on one I was already using, so Tristan stays.

We still need to catch another one for the trade, but I was gonna do this anyway. Stats aren't too amazing, of course, but I'll take it!

Alright, now let's head off, I think we've done enough messing around.

I'm still in a post-shiny haze, I don't give a gently caress

My Pokemon's strong points? Hmm... I don't know 'cause there are too many!

"That is the strength of Rangers!"

GAH

Why do all the early game mons learn Dark and Ghost moves... well that was only one monkey, wonder where the other two are?

This is one of the powers I got from nature.

Even the things you can't do alone, if you're with someone else... that's right. We always have Pokemon around us. Isn't that great?

Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. All right! Next, let our Pokemon fight!

GAH

Another monkey.

Well, a sigh and this lovely gift for you!

Different Pokemon can be found in different places. Does that mean there is a perfect place for everyone?

I'll hold you here so my friends can get away!

Yep! I'm here to buy time! And if you don't step lively, we're going to get away!

Patrat have Sand Attack and Detect now. So that's fun.

"That is a Ranger!"

GAH

What a waste of three trainers, though in this area it is understandable.

I'm sure you can fully utilize this.

If you blend into the wilderness too well, you won't be noticed by Pokemon, let alone people. That is a problem...

Can be some interesting special coverage if the opponent is heavy enough, we'll maybe try it out later.

Uh, ha ha. A kid like you--beat some of us?! That can't be helped, but... I'll take you on now!

Alright Milli is useful now, that's a relief!

Hamlet won't be getting anything nice for a while, but I don't think he minds.

Bit of a pain, but having 3 Pokemon really screws his level, so not a problem.

Fine. Take your stupid skull!

So the dream our king had--the dream we had--won't come true...

Seven Sage Encounter

Gorm of the Seven Sages! I'm mortified that this skull, which we went to so muh trouble to obtain, was stolen from us so easily.

It's not important. We can afford to abandon the Dragon Skull. According to the results of our research, this is not the legendary Pokemon for which Team Plasma is looking. It is completely unrelated. But we will not allow anyone to disrupt our plans and get away with it. We will fix it so you never interfere with us again.

The bug Pokemon were getting all worked up, so here I come, and what do I spy with my little eye? This important-looking guy! Are you here to help your friends, whom I defeated?

The others didn't have anything... and who are you supposed to be? Is this guy the big boss?

I am one of the Seven Sages of Team Plasma. Ghetsis, another of the Seven Sages, will liberate Pokemon with words alone! The remainder of the Seven Sages have ordered their compatriots to take Pokemon with full force! But the odds are a little against us now. To you, the Bug Pokemon user Burgh and the Normal Pokemon user Lenora, I say... know your enemies, know yourself, and you need not fear the result of a hundred battles... this time, we shall retreat quietly.

To secure the liberation of Pokemon, we will steal Pokemon from Trainers! Even though you are Gym Leaders, we will not tolerate any further obstruction from you. In any case, we will settle this someday. I hope you are looking forward to that time as much as I...

Pinwheel Forest

What are you planning to do, Burgh? Are you going to chase them?

Hmmm... we got back the stolen skull, and if we corner them, there's no telling what they might do. I think I'll be heading back, Lenora... well, now. Well... I'll be waiting for your challenge at Castelia City's Pokemon Gym. Yes, indeed. I'm certainly looking forward to it!

Touya! You're holding the Dragon Skull you worked so hard to get back, right?

Touya, thank you so much. With a kind Trainer like you taking care of them, the Pokemon with you must be happy. Here is a token of my gratitude. Please use it carefully!

That is a Moon Stone! Some Pokemon evolve when you use this item on them. Now, I must take the Dragon Skull back to the museum! See you! Take care of yourself!

Another word filled encounter with Team Plasma done. Now when we encounter the Seven Sages, I'll be using some fanmade sprites since there was never any official artwork of any aside from Ghetsis and it's pretty hard to tell them apart otherwise. The sprites won't match up with the fanmade ones, but they wear very similar outfits so properly colour coding them was a necessity.

Last couple of things to do!

Yay! Please take good care of my Cottonee! I will take good care of your Petilil! Thanks to our Pokemon, you and I became friends!

Nice and easy version exclusive, Trade Pokemon are set, like always, but now they're always set in level, regardless of what Pokemon you sent over. Definitely a good Pokemon to use, since it'll always be Modest, have Prankster for Fluffee or Chlorophyll for Lillil and have 20/20/20/31/20/20 IVs.

"When attacked, it escapes by shooting cotton from its body. The cotton serves as a decoy to distract the attacker."

Last up is the rustling encounters, oh I know you're gonna love them.

Hmm, I should maybe stop using Milli for this. But yes, all 3 monkeys can be found in the rustling grass at a 10% rate, thankfully there's not just the one at the Dreamyard.

"The water stored inside the tuft on its head is full of nutrients. Plants that receive its water grow large."

And the other one. There's also 2 other rustling encounters, aside from Audino, obviously, which are Whimsicott and Lilligant at 5% for their versions. So hey, saves a Sun Stone, but there aren't any other Pokemon in the game that requires it and they start with pretty lame moves, so I won't bother going for them.

"When it is angered, the temperature of its head tuft reaches 600°F. It uses its tuft to roast berries."

Least I don't have to think about these until I can evolve them! Okay, I'm being mean, it's too easy to after all, I still like every Pokemon, even the monkeys, but boy I understand why people don't.

Finally, finally, we can leave Pinwheel Forest, feels like we've been there all update. Look at those graphics!

If you give it to a Pokemon to hold, maybe it will let that Pokemon use its move before its opponent can. That's what I gave you. It's called Quick Claw!

Always nice to have for casual play, it's come in clutch over the years. We'll give this to Milli since he's the slowest right now.

Time to leave Long Island!

:siren: Skyarrow Bridge :siren:

S-Sorry.

Next time, we explore the big city! Boy are we gonna be here a while...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I used a Petilil in my run of White. She's shockingly great to use provided you get Petal Dance and then evolve asap. Limited move pools can go a long way when you can rip others a new one.

It's kind of funny how Pokemon decided to get all "look at what we can do in THREEEE DIMENSSSSIONNNSSS" here, because they don't do it at all in the actually-3d games. Probably a blessing.

Also god dang Castelia is the best huge city I think. There's a ton of things to see & do and it's all laid out in a pretty obvious way unlike certain...other...huge cities that would follow.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Burgh says he will take the short route and cut off Team Plasma - and actually does exactly that!? Insanity!
The route he takes isn't long but I still appreciate that he actually walks it instead of just staying where he was and blocking your progress from there.

What I don't appreciate are Sawk and Throh. Why do they look like Muppets? Why do their Dex entries talk about them using vines and such for belts but their sprites and models always have clearly man-made belts?
There are several Pokemon that are wearing clothes but these two just look a bit too human-like for my taste.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I will not hear any badmouthing of Throh. :colbert: I used one in a very tough fangame and he lasted much longer than I expected one of the Muppet duo to last. He was a valued member of my team!

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
The muppets are good bois and so are the Monkeys. Even though monkey stats are pretty low and bad.

I love black and white. Came at such a pivotal time in my youth when I started exploring myself a bit more, good music, a bit deeper of a plot just like the previous gens games. Unova is the poo poo man, I love every minute of it and I also love every poke that lives in it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
i don't think have ever not named sawk and throh grover and elmo

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

please use shiny lilligant instead of the monkey
please

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Even though I like Sawk and Throh I somehow forgot all about their existence.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

please

Agreed.
please

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

please

We can all agree with this. The shiny is the game telling you to drop the monkey, use the cool flower girl.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No use the monkey love the monkey. The monkey is there for you

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Slaan posted:

No use the monkey love the monkey. The monkey is there for you

As someone who has used both plant and monkey for playthroughs, I say keep the monkey. Type coverage is more interesting than plant.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

As someone who has used both plant and monkey for playthroughs, I say keep the monkey. Type coverage is more interesting than plant.

Yeah but...

shiny plant.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

capitaldelendaest posted:

I always go with Waldorf and Statler.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Quantum Toast posted:

quality names

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

capitaldelendaest posted:

judo jim and karate carl

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

please

The monkey is hot garbage, use the shiny flower girl instead.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

haha monkey go vine whip 6HKO

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
In the spirit of being contrarian I say keep the monkey and keep it unevolved until level 43 to get Crunch. Go on mate. You won't.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The Lilligant line is one of my favorite lines so this is a very painful moment for me.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Normally I wouldn't bother requesting a Pokémon to be used unless prompted to, but that Petilil is shiny. At least consider swapping it with Tristan. It's only 4 levels lower, after all.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The only reason I don't like Sawk/Throh is how overused they are. Someone at Game Freak just really loves those muppets, they're nearly at monkey levels of overuse.

Allosauroidea posted:

In the spirit of being contrarian I say keep the monkey and keep it unevolved until level 43 to get Crunch. Go on mate. You won't.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Leraika posted:

judo jim and karate carl

Quantum Toast posted:

both excellent choices

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It's a shame that Milli has sub-optimal IVs, but I look forward to our murder centipede bringing home the wins.

I also support the benching of the monkey for shiny Petilil, with the following compromise: Use Pansear for Touko's run.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sandile is probably my favorite pokemon of this set. Convict crocodiles with sunglasses is just such a fun design. Randomly getting the ability to snack down dragons at end game probably helps too.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Man, Lilligant has a pretty great shiny too.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FoolyCharged posted:

Sandile is probably my favorite pokemon of this set. Convict crocodiles with sunglasses is just such a fun design. Randomly getting the ability to snack down dragons at end game probably helps too.

:agreed: They kick all kinds of rear end. Also they're based on gharials which are a) pretty rad and awesome and b) seriously endangered.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Allosauroidea posted:

And be denied Simisage's glorious grass pompadour for that long? Hell no.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

FoolyCharged posted:

Have you heard the good word of our lord and savior twitter user @Propagandile?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 6: Sights of Castelia City

Castelia City

Hope you like this music, cause we'll be hearing it for two full updates. There's a LOT to do in this city and some of it is worth your time!

F's in chat boys.

The world will be bigger! If you trade Pokemon with many people, you will be happy! Because I will give you something good! So, Trainer, have you traded Pokemon with many people? You've traded Pokemon with 1? The world is bigger than that!

So not so important now, but this guy gave you lots of cool items for obtaining Pokemon with other Trainer IDs. Since in-game trades count, we can get the first reward, a Wide Lens, but back in the day you could do this immediately if you wanted, depositing an easy trade made doing this very quick. In turn you'd get an Everstone for 10, Zoom Lens for 20, Choice Scarf for 30, PP Max for 40 and finally a Master Ball for 50! Yep, you could get a Master Ball pretty easily before the third Gym, ridiculous. Using fan servers makes it still possible with a bit of work, but Desmume has no such options so whatever.

gently caress yeah. Right, let's get lost.

Castelia City: A City of Grandeur
From castellanus clouds, which are long and have spaced puffs that resemble castle turrets.
Hiun City: Hiun is soaring clouds, auspicious clouds.
From 飛雲文 hiun-mon, a wiggly spiral pattern that resembles clouds and 飛雲 hiun, soaring clouds.

So, uh, Castelia City is kinda big, here's a map so you have an idea of where we are, we'll start by visiting the 5 piers and then zigzag through the different streets. It's not particularly difficult to navigate, but it can be a pain to remember where everything is. Thankfully I've played Gen 5 about 20 times so everything about these games is seared into my memories.

All right, so it's Pansage? Pansage... then, it's a Leaf Stone you need.

You might already know this, but I will give you some advice! When a Pokemon evolves, it will be more powerful, but it will be slower to learn a new move. This is especially true for Pokemon that evolve with stones. So, it's up to you: you can have it learn a good move and then evolve it with a stone, or evolve it with a stone fast and then have it learn a move with a TM!

Very important to pick this free stone if you're using a monkey, as aside from dust clouds, it'll be a bit before you can get another one, Fire Stone is the earliest, then Water Stone, then Leaf Stone.

I wonder what that Pokemon is, little high up to make out clearly, I'm sure we'll catch it later.

I mean it did pass us when we were on Skyarrow Bridge but okay.

Nice black boat, wonder where it's going? I know we won't be going there!

Ugh, battling is so lame and boring, let's put that off for a while.

It's a bit surprising that rules and ways of thinking are different just because the places we live in are different!

Maybe we need some unity. Too bad that closed down in 2013.

Have you ever wondered about these things? Welcome to Passerby Analytics HQ! This is where you can find all the answers. ...you have good eyes. Eyes full of curiosity. ...good! I will specially appoint you as a statistician! Statiticians have only one task! They conduct requested surveys. First, you'll receive survey requests from me. Then, with the Survey Radar, you'll choose the survey you want to conduct. Then, if you pass by a lot of people, the radar will collect the information. Of course, we've prepared compensation for the survey. Statistician Touya! I expect you to do a great job!

God another dead, pointless side mode to go over in excruciating detail... so remember the Tag Log in the C-Gear? No? Good, I won't explain it again anyway. So along with the general data you receive about other's characters, you'll also get questionnaire data, filled with generic answers if they haven't specifically filled it out. You can find out what people have answered by choosing that specific questionnaire and can complete it in two ways. Head count, which has a minimum amount of people to complete it and can be completed super fast if you somehow have enough people for it, or timed, where you can get at least your other DS game's answers and then wait a couple of hours to get the rewards. Anyway since this all relied on having your game on and being near someone who also has their game on, this is something most players either never bothered with, or couldn't complete it. There's 23 questionaires in total and the rewards are kinda worth it, but I won't do any of it! What fun.

Actually, I have a favor to ask you. I'm asking statisticians to answer a questionnaire. OK, here we go! Let's get started. This questionnaire... is about "Details about people."

This is a way to fill in answers for surveys we can then send to other players as well as receive their answers. I'll answer the first one here and the rest in another post if you want weird LP nerd trivia to doxx me. Anyway, I'm the only guy who knows how to LP Pokemon games the smart way. And against all odds I do it for free

Pandemic, motherfuckers! But also an English degree that gets me nowhere, hell yeah.

Thank you. I got a useful questionnaire. Oh, I will give you this questionnaire sheet to you, too. Now, you have... this many questionaires left: 8.

This is the end of all the questionnaires. It was fun to get to know you! And... this is a thank-you gift for answering the questionnaire.

You can answer the questionnaires as many times as you want, so please let me know.

Oh, you dropped your Pokeball. Here you are.

Please remember to thank someone who helps you! It may sound trivial, but it's important. Now, will you tell me your feeling of gratitude?

What a wonderful phrase! It warms my heart. If somebody helps you, show your feelings of gratitude. I am sure they will appreciate your feelings.

If you don't mind, would you tell me your favorite greeting?

Yes, it's a good greeting! It cheers me up! Please feel free to come and say hi again! I look forward to seeing you again!

Let's never go back there for at least 2 years.

That's quite the liberty. Not that we can ever get that anymore.

First street is the far left one, let's take on the Gym!

He's a seasoned Gym Leader. He made me work for that Gym Badge! But for me, Bug-type Pokemon aren't much of a challenge. I'm going to keep winning like this against all of the Unova region's Gym Leaders! Then, I'll head for the Pokemon League and outperform the Champion! If I do that, everyone will admit what a strong Trainer I am... that will make me feel truly alive...

You're the one who fought Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest... if I remember right, your name is... Touya! Come to challenge the Gym, I suppose? Aww. Sorry, but could you wait a bit? I was informed Team Plasma has shown up! In fact... come with me! I'm going to the dock at Prime Pier!

Sounds fun, but there's still plenty to explore like this... empty building. Okay.

Show me your paces! Give me a whirl! All riiight! A fight is like a dance!

Not only are there important black characters but also generic ones too! They do fall into stereotypes annoyingly, but later games are much better about it. Also, poo poo, this guy only has one monkey.

All riiight! Let's get down! How 'bout that! Those were some smooth moves, no doubt! But it'd be even tighter if I had a group. Hey, you! Would you talk to the other Dancers? If you invite both of them, the three of us can groove as a team! Same outfit as me! That guy's a Dancer!

Hmm, no Moomoo Milk, but the other American location had those...

We'll quickly head up the street that leads north, onto a bustling place with endlessly respawning NPCs. No we can't jump on their heads and then later drive down here on a scooter while being chased by a dinosaur. Haha, references, the internet has poisoned my mind!

Wait, is that...?

Oh, my mistake, guess we'll catch this new Pokemon later.

Oh for gently caress's sake... eventually Game Freak will stop doing this bullshit.

This is the password that will enable you to use the Relocator I invented! It's a superb machine that will swiftly fetch a special Pokemon or item by connecting to a special network.

I'm a magical clown who can open anything. Your name is Touya. I'll see you again, I'm sure.

A floor of mysterious bullshit, no doubt. The Relocator is another dumb arcane method to do event related, uh, events that are so obscure you wondered how they expected people to figure it out. The Relocator is a new menu option that lets you move up 5 specific things from Gen 4, though HGSS is where you're likely to have them, 1 of which was unreleased, 3 of which unlock the same thing and the last one is something you might be tempted to transfer up using the postgame facility. If you do that though, you can't active their events, which is loving stupid and none of the five will ever be obtainable again, so we can't do them, oh well!

Oh, look! You have a Pokedex! Well, how many Pokemon have you found so far? ... 28 Pokemon! This is quite a Pokedex! I am quite impressed, so I will give this to you!

Eviolite is great! Both Defense and Special Defense of the Pokemon who holds it will increase! However, it's a peculiar stone because it's only effective on Pokemon that can still evolve.

Man have I missed this item, the Eviolite is great to help fragile team member become much bulkier and let you evolve them more easily. Some Pokemon can use it to become even more defensively bulky than their evolutions! Especially because I'll be using a rotating team this time around, we'll be using this for a long time.

Riveting, we'll see this later, but HMs are no longer tied to Gym Badges, meaning if you traded a Pokemon over that knows the move, you can use that HM! To counter this however, you can complete the game by only using one HM move, Cut, to get into the Dreamyard, so there's no sequence breaking!

I need to check you. Frisk, frisk... frisk, frisk... and one more frisk... you don't seem to have anything suspicious. OK! You can go.

Time to party like it's 2010.

Damit ist die nächste Stadt auch ganz ohne Orden zum Greifen nah! Es sei denn, ich rassele durch meine Führerscheinprüfung...

drat moonspeak!

I want cute Pokemon, too, so I can use this!

This move makes your Pokemon unbearably charming! All Pokemon of the opposite gender will fall in love!

Non sentirti in imbarazzo. Parla pure con chi vuoi.

Is that a motherfucking Jojo reference???

¡Pero este precioso paisaje hace que me sienta como en casa! ¡La próxima vez traeré a mis amigos!

¿Qué?

Alright let's go back to the streets. We can go to Route 4 now and even catch some new Pokemon, but adding in even more to this lengthy city exploration is a bit much.

What...? You're looking for Dancers for a team? It sounds very interesting, but I don't want to do a favor for someone who isn't stronger than me. Hey! Let's have a battle! OK! Let's begin!

Now this seems familiar...

You're going to create a dance team, aren't you? It sounds very interesting. I'd like to join up!

That's the power of melodies...

Cool place, too bad there's nothing else here. And never will be.

And you've really got to have more light to see your way by. Take this--it'll help you see in dark places.

When you use it twice, the rate to get hit by a move will be about half. 'Cause it means more light!

Correct! In Gen 1, where -2 accuracy was a 50% reduction. It's been a 40% reduction since Gen 2, tsk tsk.

It actually happened to be a Tuesday when I was recording this, so we can get some ice cream at 10pm. You know, like I used to do at uni, sitting in my room alone, watching LPs of games I've already played... that was the life.

"is talking about!"

Are you going to get in line? I see! The line gets really long! But it's definitely delicious. It's worth lining up!

Only available on Tuesday in all seasons except Winter. Since the game is basically split into Winter and not-Winter, because game design is hard!

It's $100. Would you like to buy one? Thank you very much! We hope you enjoy the cute appearance and the naive flavor!

Just like a Lava Cookie they fully heal status. Though like the Old Gateau they're a pain to get so I guess we'll use Full Heals all game.

Let me see. Today, I'd like to paint a Bug-type Pokemon! Will you show me what kinds of Pokemon you have? Oh! You have that type! I'm inspired!

Aww. You are the best! Please come back tomorrow, too!

Absolutely inspiring, though are there some ancient Egyptian royalty in the background? Nah, that'd be stupid.

If you'd like, I will massage your Pokemon. All right! Let me get started! There. All done! The massage has made your Pokemon a little bit more friendly to you!

Free happiness points per day, I got the most likely outcome, which boosts happiness by 5, but she can also increase by 10 or 30.

Yes, if a Pokemon uses the move Rest, the Pokemon will fall asleep and recover! I already taught the move to my Pokemon, so I will give this to you!

Even if a Pokemon falls asleep, I heard there is a Berry to wake it up instantly. If a Pokemon holds that Berry and uses Rest, the Pokemon will fall asleep, then wake up instantly! It's a great combination!

I will read it to you, too! Here, I'll keep reading! ... Zorua, who was left alone, wandered around looking for its mother... have you seen Zorua? See, it's a Pokemon that looks like this!

They say Zorua has the power to bewitch people! It would be scary if I were bewitched, but I like Zorua! 'Cause it's cute! ...huh? Why are you blushing?

Hmm... well this is the only way to see Zorua in the Pokedex, indeed, there's a fair few mons you can't see in a particular version, or no trainer will have them. It's not like DPP where you need to see every Pokemon for the dex, even if we are being rated on number seen. I'm sure we'll find Zorua later, they wouldn't make it event exclusive and have that event tied to the obscure and arcane Relocator that requires event Pokemon that haven't been available for over a decade. R-Right?!

Let me see. I guess the most important thing is... having a lot of battles! If you become very strong, come back and have a Pokemon battle with me!

No, no. I'm the Planner! I don't mean to butt in, but the Leftovers item is important, isn't it?

Oh! You are working on your Pokedex! If you fill it up a lot, please let me see!

Oh! The dance team! You're going to introduce me to the team! Oh! Then, before that, let's have a Pokemon battle! I was great in Pokemon lessons!

Hopefully we can move out of the Bite phase soon. This is even with the Eviolite, man does Corazon need it the most.

What was that? Oh! The dance team! I will join the team!

"That's how I feel."

It's how we say happy things, sad things... how we say the world shines brightly!

I've got what I needed to find my dance! A team! Fantastic!

Dancers dance! The audience smiles! Hearts beat with joy! Enough happiness to share!

Nice happy ending, Amulet Coin is real good to get early, but that's the preliminary sweep of the city done, of course there's a few things I'm being coy about, but wasn't there some plot happening like always?

Touya, is there anything we can do? My Munna... Team Plasma took it...

I heard this lady's scream and ran after the thief as fast as I could. Bu this city is so big and so crowded... I'm afraid I lost them.

Iris... you did everything you could.

But that's so bad! Taking people's Pokemon is really bad! 'Cause it's really nice when people and Pokemon are together! They each have something the other doesn't, and they help each other!

Iris...

Agreed! No fear--we will get that Pokemon back. Right, Touya? Having said that, finding a person or a Pokemon here in Castelia City will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I spy a Gym Leader?! Last time went so well, I though I'd grab another Pokemon... rethinking... I need to get out of here!

Touya, let's go! Iris! You stay by that young lady's side.

I'm gonna be Bianca's bodyguard. So you go after those bad guys, OK?

Oh, Munna, I can't believe it. Here I am, a Trainer, and I can't even protect my own Pokemon... I'm sorry...

The whole chase thing can wait until next update, right? We've got some training to do!

ok boomer

I won't take no for an answer!

Trainer Battle

This is gonna be a little tough, but I wanna be prepared for the Gym, after all my team only has 3 team members stack really well against what we'll face in there.

In the Battle Company, the stronger you are, the higher the floor you work on.

Either way, I'm glad you came. I'm happy, so I'll give you these!

I'm very happy, so I will give you another present!

A Quick Ball makes it easier to catch a Pokemon if you use it at the very beginning of a battle. And a Timer Ball makes it easier to catch a Pokemon you've been battling for a long time!

Timer Balls got buffed to form the holy trifecta of amazing Pokeballs along with Dusk and Quick Balls, since they now reach 4x catch rate after only 10 turns, a massive improvement from before.

Please allow me to introduce you to my Pokemon.

Thankfully we can knock out Pokemon before they get Bide off now.

Well, well, you are strong! I admire you. I would like to learn by watching you!

To turn a ridiculous idea into a reality... science can make much more happen than everyone thinks!

Gurl, same.

Yo Milli is really coming into his own, though he'll need a better Poison move eventually.

A competent women is as good as Pokemon battles as she is at her work.

Trainers, of course, greet each other with a Pokemon battle!

Ah drat, Basculin hurt like hell, but they give off a lot of exp. Will be a fair while before we can find them though, so no analysis just yet.

When I was a child, I traveled with Pokemon... of course, I am still raising Pokemon! 'Cause Pokemon are my friends for life!

Milli could use this if he gets a little faster, cause the Quick Claw is too good to pass up.

Time to beat up upper management.

Hey only I can do that!

Our company develops goods for Pokemon and Trainers. So, Pokemon battles are also an important part of my work!

Even Hamlet struggles to get through this drat Moonlight spammer.

It is very exciting to unlock the secrets of Pokemon and their Trainers.

To help scientific progress, please lend a hand!

That Sewaddle is fuckin dead dude.

I don't know if science will make everyone happy, but if I believe it will, that helps me do my best. That's a fact.

Ah, bold move to make the Clerk class into the Burgular class as they got older.

I met my Pokemon more than ten years ago. I trust them.

You've come this far. That means you must be quite strong. Are you prepared to face the strongest person in this building? Are you prepared to face the chairman? Then, the time has come. I am the one! I accept your challenge!

While we can't catch this for a bit, I'll still give it a big kiss! Also what a twist, having someone we perceive as low class and expendable is actually so rich and powerful he can goof off in disguises and still make more money in a year than you will in an entire lifetime! Also lets him spy on his low tier workforce who've never been to his floor so he can fire them for the slightest perceived slight!

Encore isn't too useful this early when I tend to use my strongest move anyway. But hey it's that thing from the start of the game, least this one can't be shiny!

I disguise myself as a janitor because I like to know what kinds of Trainers come here. I had a good time battling you. This is a token of my esteem. Please accept this!

A Pokemon holding an Exp. Share gets some of the Exp. Points from every battle, even if it's not involved. That's right! It may be useful for raising weak Pokemon.

Makes Audino grinding even faster, but let's continue with... whatever we were doing, really need to stop getting sidetracked so excessively during important moments.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 02: Let's Play Trivia Party

Alright here's a weird little dead mode that doesn't amount to anything. By using a beta-Streetpass to send and receive player info through the C-Gear's Tag Log, you can complete a variety of surveys for various items and have new people come to the Passerby HQ to talk to you as you increase in rank. It is definitely worth your time. That last part was sarcasm.

There are 23 different survey requests and are available at different ranks, 4 at C, 6 at B, 6 at A, 5 at S and 2 at S+. They're related to the various questions you can answer as questionnaires, letting you send answers to other players, though some of the surveys combine the questions into one, or mix from two different questionnaires. It doesn't matter which suverys you do, so long as you do a specific number, meaning you can get to S+ rank just from doing a quick C survey. There's also 4 surveys that every player has an answer to since the game automatically fills them, Which version is more popular, The first Pokemon you picked, How long have you been playing, More men or more women?

You get an item every time you complete a survey and can get that item twice, one from head-count and one from timed, technically making it 46 surveys you can complete in total. Head-count has no time limit and and can be completed quickly if you got lucky 10 years ago in the Shibuya ward of Tokyo, you save all results you collect, so you automatically complete any Head-count survey you've already done, making it very quick to increase in rank. Timed requests only need 1 result to be completed but you have to wait the alotted time to hand it in. The DS doesn't have to be on for this, thankfully, but changing the DS clock means the timer will restart when you next save, though any answers you previously had will be saved.

Here's all the surveys and what their reward is, aren't I nice putting it in this nice concise grid for you?

Most of these questions can be answered by any Gen 5 game, except for ones that were replaced in B2W2, as well as Which version is more popular, How long have you been playing?, About a holiday, and Most popular Gym Leader? Otherwise this place is pretty much the same in the sequels, so at least I don't have to go over much when we get to that point.

The final reward for doing all of this? Well you get up to 5 orange dots on your Tag Log profile as you increase in rank, so you can show off to everyone else how 2 cool 4 school you are, but for doing all 46 surveys, which takes a minimum 272 hours and 360 head-counts, the lead statistician will give you... one Rare Candy! Okay, cool. Here's all the new NPCs that appear as you increase in rank, you get a male Schoolkid at C rank who's interested in taking questionnaires, a man in blue at C rank who's interested in statistician rank, a Lass at B rank who's interested in questionnaire sheets, a blue haired woman at B rank who's interested in types of surveys, a Rich Boy at A rank who's interested in popular trends, a green shirt man at S rank who's interested in number of surveys, and a female Schoolkid at S+ rank who's interested in you, the player.

Let's finish up with the Crosspeice Trivia Hour, because I love talking about myself.

You can battle by yourself, but I haven't had anyone to trade with since primary school! Haha...

I always have a hard time with questions like these, it's like asking my top 10 favourite Pokemon, I just kinda shrug after the first three and go "all of them?" So, uh, Water, since it's the easiest type to solo the game with and they're better Ice users than Ice types.

Again, because I love every Pokemon they fall into 1 of these 3 catagories for me, but I do prefer the cool ones, cause well, they're cool!

I'm too deep into Pokemon Go to ever quit, so city it is! Also the country is where old people go to die, no thanks.

Money solves all your problems. You don't want to admit it. But it does.

I've never been a fan of loving your family no matter what. So what if we're related, if you're a poo poo person you can gently caress off, but you can become so close and so dependable on your friends that they become family. Admittedly since my parents never married and I only visited my dad every other weekend I don't have the cohesive family bond like most do, but whatever, it's not negatively affected me. Uh, I think. I suppose I've been lacking in proper male role models... ANYWAY, friends all the way baby.

Just because all of my exes have been brown haired white girls with glasses that pursued an academic career doesn't mean I have a type!

I believe most people are attractive enough and that shines through no matter what, yes, you're beautiful and let no one tell you otherwise, so who you are as a person is way more important.

I ain't saying I'm a gold digger... but seriously if you have fun and love being around someone, that's all you need in life.

I'm a June baby, baby! Also living in middle England means 10% of the weather is pleasently tepid and 90% gloomy drizzle, so I love it when the sun comes out briefly!

Oh what a surprise the nerdy white boy can't handle a slight amount of spice. I adore sour stuff and while I like sweet, my favourite sweet thing is mint chocolate ice cream, so does that count?

Purple isn't on here so this is second place. I guess red is third since neither green nor purple were team options in Pokemon Go and Team Valor is best team due to following the principles of Pokemon.

An amazing genre that for the most part has real hard hitting music about minority's plights and wonderfully crafted lyrics. Though I do listen to fast paced pop when writing these, rock is also a great option, having parents as punks and rappers as roommates has shaped my music taste a lot.

Only old people watch TV these days as it rots their brains, but I guess I look up my favourite One Piece moments to see how the anime butchered them so does that count?

I do go to the movies a fair bit though, it's a nice social thing to do, and I love that SCIENCE!!!

Later on in school life I really started to appreciate that it was a cool place to hang out with my friends. Sometimes we'd even go back to school after lunch, since they let Sixth Formers leave during it.

So I was a weird one, I actually did really well in both English and Maths, I was one of the very few who actually took both in my college, however since my grades weren't that great to pursue Maths at uni, enough English courses had low enough standards to let anyone in.

I guess Social Studies since it was called General Studies and had everyone do it. But I skipped the exam cause I slept in lol, so weirdly enough despite loving Maths, applying it to Science is... trickier for me. Like it's cool, I love learning about science, but not actually, you know, school learning science. My favourite out of it was physics, more specifically astronomy, but they didn't really teach beyond the basics, so the rest I wasn't massively interested in.

Personally I would prefer a Pokemon Go walk by myself in the mountains, but the game is only really playable sitting in a dense Pokestop area in a major city, so yeah the beach with my friends sounds fun. A river is like the sea but without the sun and sand and cute girls in swimwear, so uh, poo poo.

Well we've all been enjoying a nice Covid holiday recently, haha, REMAIN INDOORS, but I do still go out for shopping and maybe just a little bit of Pokemon Go. Keeps me active, gets me in the fresh air and sunshine and you should do it more often you basement goblin. I do the last 3 options late at night like I'm doing right now at 1am...

...the gently caress's a sport? Uh, sure, I like big muscular men grappling each other in my animes, so sure, whatever that is.

All the other things feed into the main event that is the Pokemon themselves, individually they're kinda whatever.

Do not select answer 4. Being a Trainer is the only thing we can ever do, so why go with the other limited options?

...what other answer were you expecting?