Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Let's say I want to play the GBA version on my computer, and also have access to the save file on my phone, either through the Internet or just copying it through Wi-Fi, so I can play it when I'm at work. Is there a simple way to accomplish this? Do GBA and mobile emulators even share enough code to have transferable save files?

I know a few years ago I was seeing some success transferring between my PC and PSP without too much problem, if that helps at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Let's say I want to play the GBA version on my computer, and also have access to the save file on my phone, either through the Internet or just copying it through Wi-Fi, so I can play it when I'm at work. Is there a simple way to accomplish this? Do GBA and mobile emulators even share enough code to have transferable save files?

I imagine it would probably depend on the individual emulators? But I've always pointed my save files to my google drive so I have cross-PC portability.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've strictly played the GBA version off my phone for years as a commute game, although it's not as though I'm doing much commuting these days

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I misread this and now I just wanna see Jack Kirby's Kirby.

Come back to 2014. We have such sights to show you. This person never did much more to this comic but I loved the idea.

https://dot-m-dot.tumblr.com/post/75612368407/a-tribute-to-kirby-and-kirby

edit: oh they did more than I remembered. still don't think it was ever finished but I dunno. https://dot-m-dot.tumblr.com/tagged/jack-kirby

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You could probably run the same emulator on Retroarch on both your phone and PC, then just swap save files as needed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I was not ready for the Incredible Shulk

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What are the options for a character to deal more than 9999 damage in a single round?

The scene with Gilgamesh sacrificing himself in the rift is a counter than Necrophobe executes against any attack that takes him under 10k hp. Dead enemies don't counter, so if you can kill him by dealing more than 10k damage in a single round, you can bypass that scene even if you took the Excalipoor. I discovered that by accident a couple years ago, and I'm thinking about making a toxx out of it, but it seems that being able to do it is very contingent on having certain combinations of jobs.

I can think of three ways to do it:
  1. Dualcasting a rod/staff-boosted high level elemental spell.
  2. Holy Spellblade + RadidFire (and maybe Flare too)
  3. Quick + a rod/staff-boosted high level elemental spell.
Are there any other options I'm missing?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's always blessed kiss and quickleak, and time mage might also be able to pull it off with just quick and a good enough pair of meteors. Chicken dance with dual wield could work too with enough grinding or bard/chemist support.

Does anything Necrophobe does trigger monk's counter?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cattail Prophet posted:

Does anything Necrophobe does trigger monk's counter?
Once he gets to the final phase he's just beefy as gently caress, and has physicals, so !Counter should do it too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Greg also doesn't show if you don't open the Excalipoor chest. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've never actually finished FF5 before but I'm thinking of Fiesta-ing this year. Should I just go with the standard ruleset or is there one that you think might be more fun?

FF5 is one of the very few FFs I've never finished and I generally really like job system games and FF games so I'm not quite sure why I've never gotten through, but maybe the Fiesta will give me a good push to play through the whole way this time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Greg also doesn't show if you don't open the Excalipoor chest. :v:

But what's the fun in that? If I toxx, it'll be for getting Excalipoor and saving Gilgy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So what are the speculations about the new run type? Will it be mayonnaise based?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

So what are the speculations about the new run type? Will it be mayonnaise based?

If you want a garbage run type that no one should use, we already have natural.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

If you want a garbage run type that no one should use, we already have natural.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too, so hopefully that was a red herring, and rk just has terrible taste in condiments.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
rumor has it if you type #ffxiv on your reg tweet gilgabot comes to your house and beats you

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

rumor has it if you type #ffxiv on your reg tweet gilgabot comes to your house and beats you

I thought that was reserved for #FFT

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

DalaranJ posted:

rk just has terrible taste.

ftfy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Harrow posted:

I've never actually finished FF5 before but I'm thinking of Fiesta-ing this year. Should I just go with the standard ruleset or is there one that you think might be more fun?

FF5 is one of the very few FFs I've never finished and I generally really like job system games and FF games so I'm not quite sure why I've never gotten through, but maybe the Fiesta will give me a good push to play through the whole way this time.

Normal's the most recommended for newer players, as it's pretty straightforward compared to some of the other runs.

That said, if you like things more chaotic, most of the other runs will be fine, though different. Random might actually be slightly easier since it's weighted towards earlier jobs, which are generally more straightforward, while Chaos and Pure Chaos could be anything (Chaos gives dupes, Pure doesn't, Pure adds Freelancer and Mime to the pool, Chaos doesn't). Popular will be generally easy since the more popular jobs are the better ones. Advance is not recommended since those aren't unlocked until the end of the game. Do not play Classic.

For modifiers, generally 750 is magic-based while No 750 is physical based. 750 will generally be easier since No 750 has less ways to cheese bosses, but there's plenty of solid jobs in both. Do not do Natural, it robs a lot of the fun of combining jobs together. Upgrade's tricky to utilize, so definitely not recommended for new players, same with Forbidden. Fifth Job is eh, I'd say skip it for a first run. Berserker Risk, it depends on how you're feeling, as Berserker can be surprisingly good.

I'd recommend Normal, maybe Random or Popular, and skip the modifiers for a first run (maybe 750 or No750 if you lean towards liking magical or physical jobs).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Harrow posted:

Standard is fine, but if you're specifically looking for something low stress to ease yourself into things, random750 is generally considered the "easiest" mode.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

edit wrong thread

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I recently read my old 3 Year Old Risk fiesta run to my now-eight-year-old and he thought it was pretty funny. Time flies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Berserker Risk, it depends on how you're feeling, as Berserker can be surprisingly good.

Whether you want to take on Berserker Risk your first time around depends pretty strongly on how many Berserkers a risker is likely to get. One is fine, two is a little iffy, and three can be a pretty bad time. They changed the rules a couple years ago so that fewer players would get multiple Berserkers, but it's still not totally safe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, I Risked Three zerkers and a Dragoon back in 2016 and while I somehow finished it it was the most mind-numbingly painful thing I've done. Not gonna risk the Risk after that.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

What are the options for a character to deal more than 9999 damage in a single round?

The scene with Gilgamesh sacrificing himself in the rift is a counter than Necrophobe executes against any attack that takes him under 10k hp. Dead enemies don't counter, so if you can kill him by dealing more than 10k damage in a single round, you can bypass that scene even if you took the Excalipoor. I discovered that by accident a couple years ago, and I'm thinking about making a toxx out of it, but it seems that being able to do it is very contingent on having certain combinations of jobs.

I can think of three ways to do it:
  1. Dualcasting a rod/staff-boosted high level elemental spell.
  2. Holy Spellblade + RadidFire (and maybe Flare too)
  3. Quick + a rod/staff-boosted high level elemental spell.
Are there any other options I'm missing?

Dual wielding chicken knife swords dance. I killed necrophobe by accident with that one time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

Normal's the most recommended for newer players, as it's pretty straightforward compared to some of the other runs.

That said, if you like things more chaotic, most of the other runs will be fine, though different. Random might actually be slightly easier since it's weighted towards earlier jobs, which are generally more straightforward, while Chaos and Pure Chaos could be anything (Chaos gives dupes, Pure doesn't, Pure adds Freelancer and Mime to the pool, Chaos doesn't). Popular will be generally easy since the more popular jobs are the better ones. Advance is not recommended since those aren't unlocked until the end of the game. Do not play Classic.

I did Pure Chaos my first every FFJ, and ended up with Time Mage/Bard/Mime/White Mage. I got to spend a lot of time as Freelancers, and then had to switch everyone to Time Mage for too long. Still fun and I easily triple crowned once I managed to get all my jobs unlocked.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Not to bring up old garbage but I don't post about the off-season challenges because (besides Chrono Trigger) it's "take this specific class and run it as fast as you can" and I don't play the game either of those ways lol.

I think personally this'll be a great year or a bummer of a one. It's an interesting time for me and throwing myself into a game might just be what the doctor ordered!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harrow posted:

I would recommend a Chaos or Pure Chaos run. The game is do-able all the way up to the Earth dungeon with freelancers if you end up getting all earth crystal jobs.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Harrow posted:

I finished the game for the first time doing last year's fiesta, it was great! Not thinking about all the jobs helped me focus and the challenge made it more interesting for me. I think a normal run is a good way to start.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think normal worked really nicely for me for a first run since I was used to the order the jobs unlocked in. It's "surprisingly balanced", at least for FJF.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I'm another person who did their first run of FF5 through fiesta and I had a lot of fun with it. Normal or pure chaos would probably be my recommendation since you can avoid dupes.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I did as well, although I landed Black Mage / Red Mage so I just nuked everything to death

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I did a forbidden run (gimmick from two years ago) my first time I played and landed on White, Mystic Knight, Ranger, and Cannoneer. White was voided which let me get an easy Triple Crown thanks to rapid fire and cannoneer

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Other suggestions you got from the thread are good.

My preference would be 750 or purechaos.

Honestly the only officially bad options are natural and classic (which is just natural even more restricted). While FJF limits you to 4 jobs to juggle around and slap on their passives to make fun and interesting combos, those two options lock you down to one job per character so if you got dragoon or dancer or thief, you're just left with a nigh unkillable boring idiot, a fabrige cannon, or... well free hi potions in W1 but not much else until you get the chicken knife.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

VideoGames posted:

This thread is not being moved to Retro games. This is a yearly event thread that all of Games enjoys.

Today I learned that we have a Retro games forum.

Also, ty VG!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Four Jeb! Fiesta

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Feldegast42 posted:

Four Jeb! Fiesta

Please !Clap

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My custom ruleset, something I call Super Natural, is a pretty fun variant: each character gets two jobs at random, from any crystal, no dupes. Each character can only ever use their two specific jobs. This gives each character a strong identify, and guarantees versatility, but also doesn't let you abuse one powerful job as hard by giving it to everyone. I usually do a run of it after my official chaos run each year.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've done something like that where each character is allowed to use the job from their crystal and one other. It gives a little more flexibility than a straight natural run without allowing everyone to spam the most powerful abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ramc posted:

I recently read my old 3 Year Old Risk fiesta run to my now-eight-year-old and he thought it was pretty funny. Time flies.

I was just thinking about that run, my 6-year-old is starting to play games with me and I bet she’d dig it. Maybe I’ll just let her have my old GBA and see how she does...