Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Fermented hot sauce is where it's at. I use about a pound of Fresno chiles and 1 or 2 habaneros. Ferment the peppers for 5-10 days in a water/sugar/salt brine then blend that poo poo up. You'll end up with a nice sauce that has a gochujang-like umami quality but not as sweet or thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

our lord and savory himself takes some hot wings to pound town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRc1_CATfo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Traxis posted:

Fermented hot sauce is where it's at. I use about a pound of Fresno chiles and 1 or 2 habaneros. Ferment the peppers for 5-10 days in a water/sugar/salt brine then blend that poo poo up. You'll end up with a nice sauce that has a gochujang-like umami quality but not as sweet or thick.

do you have a diet version

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The best Cholula flavor is a Chili Garlic, but it's hard to find so I have regular Cholula in my fridge right now.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That show sucks, and the strangely gesticulating host is maybe the least charismatic man alive.

i always liked how his questions dove really deep in to each of the guests backgrounds, and he always made sure to be knowledgable about them too which led to some really interesting and unique questions. But yeah his lack of charisma turned me off from the show...

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hate hot sauce bottle labels. They're so busy and tacky.

Just make a simple design.

But that's half the fun :saddowns:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
My favorite hot sauce is the one with the totally gross name and label art.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I like much hotter hot sauces for various things, but these are the staples y'all

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jawdins posted:

I like much hotter hot sauces for various things, but these are the staples y'all

I always have either one or the other of those. Right now I have Louisiana in my cupboard. Also I have some Chipotle Chalula but that smokey flavor is pretty strong so the applications are limited. I used to have sambal oelek but never used it as much as sriracha so I just keep that on me.

I really have to expand my horizons.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jawdins posted:

Hey great post I like you

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Seriously if there is a hack to prevent searing rear end pain as a result of hot sauce let me know.

eat a better diet with plenty of veggies

capsaicin is soluble in fat. if the capsaicin makes it all the way to your rear end, it means you have undigested oil carrying it there. that means your diet could use some improvement. more natural fiber and less fats mean the capsaicin gets broken down and absorbed first.

I make hot jambalaya or tacos or stirfry for myself and never have a problem because that is healthy food. I have a lazy night with chips, hot sauce, and pizza then my o-ring gets melted.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My favorite hot sauce is the one with the totally gross name and label art.

these kinds of novelty sauces aren't so common anymore, tend to only find them at places like tacky tourist trap gift shops (the sort of places that along with tshirts and mugs with the attraction on it, also sells fudge. seriously what's up with that?? always with the fudge!)

Lots of fancy gourmet/small batch/local/etcetc type sauces are cropping up and honestly I'm not the biggest fan. Some are really tasty, very complex, but I'm stuck wondering what the hell to even use them on. Lots seem like they'd be great as a marinade, except they're like $9-12 for a loving 5oz bottle.

I got a bottle of this stuff a while back, sounded really interesting but ended up being super disappointing. Almost no heat, very little smoke, hell not even much onion flavor. I mean poo poo with all the ingredients going in where the gently caress did the flavor go?

lol @ the dingbats turning their noses up at the cheap, everyday vinegar based sauces. They're fine just don't drown everything in them, ok? Sometimes a splash of spicy vinegar is real good.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im coming out with a sauce

its called rear end Blaster 9000 :blastu:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

SO DEMANDING posted:

I got a bottle of this stuff a while back, sounded really interesting but ended up being super disappointing. Almost no heat, very little smoke, hell not even much onion flavor. I mean poo poo with all the ingredients going in where the gently caress did the flavor go?

their only good sauce is the tomatillo-like one, which is tasty. not impressed otherwise i agree

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Oh, I'm so glad Bone Suckin' Sauce has a kosher certification.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Oh, I'm so glad Bone Suckin' Sauce has a kosher certification.

some of us like to suck bones Jewishly

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I love tacky as hell hot sauce labels

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bunsters looks good ngl

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Sh*t The Bed

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

colon cleaner is actually pretty great stuff esp on seafood or rice

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
My goto's are El Yucateco red for most things I want heat in and Nando's peri peri XX hot for anything that needs the flavor improved. That is imo the most delicious sauce in the world and really turned me on to African Birds Eye Chilis, I just wish it was a bit hotter. One of the favs I saw someone else post was the simple truth habenero; I wasnt able to do that one... I may have gotten a bad batch or something, mine was all sweetness with not much other flavor.
I have never tasted an extract sauce I liked, but at that kind of heat level I am looking forward to that scorpion pepper cherry sauce posted a few pages back. sounds delicious.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Heatonist is good for hot sauces. I do their monthly box of 3 sauces for 36 bucks after shipping and I’ve found some delightful ones that way.

jfc guy, you go through 3 bottles of hot sauce a month? how the gently caress does you stomach still have any lining?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nooner posted:

jfc guy, you go through 3 bottles of hot sauce a month? how the gently caress does you stomach still have any lining?

I can kill an especially tasty bottle of hot sauce in a week or two easily, so I can see it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah my favorite hot sauce I’ve tried I bought at the state fair from some guy who makes his own locally. I used that poo poo up in less than two weeks, snacking on crackers and cheese with it and putting it in most meals. And now I can’t fuckin figure out how to get more.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It can take months for me to go through a bottle of hot sauce. Depending on the size of course. I've never gone through any size within a week though.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

It can take months for me to go through a bottle of hot sauce. Depending on the size of course. I've never gone through any size within a week though.

Some people just don’t care for flavor, I guess.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Some people just don’t care for flavor, I guess.

Well if you're eating food that has so little flavor that it requires a strong hot sauce every time then something is wrong.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
yeah it takes me loving forever to go through hot sauces

Well if you're eating food that has so little flavor that it requires a strong hot sauce every time then something is wrong.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Yeah a lot of the time sauce just overpowers flavor, that one bottle was just so drat good and went with everything... the hot sauce majestic...

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

That’s what everybody says, sheesh

All that matters about food is if its getting you off right now

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Does no one else just sit on the couch and dump hot sauce on tortilla chips and go to town. Because I do

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does no one else just sit on the couch and dump hot sauce on tortilla chips and go to town. Because I do

Ya this is totally fine though, this is a top tier snack for watching any sport on tv

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nooner posted:

I get three bottles of hot sauce a month, I don’t power through them at that rate. I’m slowly accumulating them. I’ve been getting the box for a year and have around 12-15 in my fridge.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You're not the only one.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mukulu posted:

You're not the only one.

my fav is to get some avocado or re-fried beans and just smear it on tortilla chips and then douse it with hotsauce. a lovely snack.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

That's sort of like saying if your food has so little flavor that you add salt and pepper to it when you cook then something is wrong. Condiments aren't really different from any other seasoning when you use them as intended, you just apply them after cooking rather than before/during.

You can get a variety of hot sauces, some can/will make food taste like the sauce if you go ham with it, others mostly just add a bit of heat which is a separate thing than the taste of the food. I like to add a little bit of real hot stuff to most broths for example, doesn't change the profile just adds heat, I don't put it directly when making the stock most of the time because my SO doesn't like as spicy food as me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hmm... I might have to try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I also got a jar of jalapenos. I alternate each chip between jalapeno and hot sauce. It is a system