Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The way the game portrays the noncombat stories (like the Soviet soldier at the start of this one) is really weird and I kind of like it. I wouldn't say that, at a granular level, any of what they're doing is bold, fresh, or even just "not leaning incredibly heavily into ethnic and gendered stereotypes." But it's a wilful juxtaposition of very civilian concerns next to a very violent set of events, and the game's general refusal to make people too easily into The Good Guys and The Bad Guys is surprisingly refreshing. Like the subjects are all simple but the composition is pretty nuanced.

This also leads to some ludonarrative dissonance, because the gameplay is such like, a fun arcade-y 'blow up the bad guys yeah!' experience. Particularly in the campaign where you're getting like 10:1 KDRs all the time, the gameplay really doesn't want you to have an 'even' perspective about your forces vs theirs, nor does it do anything that makes it seem like there's something avoidable or tragic about enemy deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
It seems odd to me that you are able to call in air strikes on those SAM sites, which we need to take out so that we can do air strikes elsewhere?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ChocolatePancake posted:

It seems odd to me that you are able to call in air strikes on those SAM sites, which we need to take out so that we can do air strikes elsewhere?

lol

Also it hit me to check how many big the Norwegian military is - they have 52 Leopard 2A4NOs (36 operational) and that appears to be the entirety of their MBTs. They also have 144 CV90s and then a bunch of APCs.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

lol

Also it hit me to check how many big the Norwegian military is - they have 52 Leopard 2A4NOs (36 operational) and that appears to be the entirety of their MBTs. They also have 144 CV90s and then a bunch of APCs.

Well they're a lot smaller now!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think you also shoot down more norwegian planes than exist in this mission

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

V. Illych L. posted:

i think you also shoot down more norwegian planes than exist in this mission

This is a feature of Ser Cypher's other favorite game, Wargame, where you could very justifiably lose 100% (or more!) of an entire nation's airforce in like 20 minutes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unfortunately if they get close enough the AI tanks will absolutely run over your infantry on purpose, which is just one more thing that make infantry in WiC a lot less useful than it should be. At least it also works just as well for the player.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

Unfortunately if they get close enough the AI tanks will absolutely run over your infantry on purpose, which is just one more thing that make infantry in WiC a lot less useful than it should be. At least it also works just as well for the player.

I think the game really should have had a lot more terrain that severely limited the mobility and usability of armor, but the game is firmly on the side of 'giant tank battles are cool!' which I have trouble arguing with.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

This is a feature of Ser Cypher's other favorite game, Wargame, where you could very justifiably lose 100% (or more!) of an entire nation's airforce in like 20 minutes.

Yessss, I'm going to do Red Dragon campaigns next. My multiplayer one didn't work out, but oh well!

I think I want to try and run it where people give orders to units in the thread and then I play it out.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cythereal posted:

I think the game really should have had a lot more terrain that severely limited the mobility and usability of armor, but the game is firmly on the side of 'giant tank battles are cool!' which I have trouble arguing with.

On the one hand it might be cool to have a game where the ratios are closer to 'real' just to see what it'd be like, on the other hand I'm not sick of vroom vroom boom boom RTS yet.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
God I loved this game. I should dig it back out when Satisfactory quits giving me the Tetris effect.
I simply love the level of detail and attention and care they put into every map and setpiece, even though most players will just zoom the hell out and not notice 90% of it... real works of love, which by the end of a mission nevertheless always look like the surface of the moon from tanks doing donuts over poo poo, heavy arty barrages and ooops there goes the giant trail of napalm into your pristine old growth forest because there were like 3 dudes with an RPG in it, wheeeee !

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Update
World in Conflict: Mission 12, Beyond the Iron Curtainhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDIC8V2PO8E

We're on the offensive, not sure how we got all Bannon's heavy tanks several hundred miles behind enemy lines though. Let's not worry about it, instead let's look at the absolutely beautiful Soviet wintertime city.

I only noticed it after I watched the finished recording, but that officer at the start wearing his cap inside the pentagon really annoys me.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I love this game and am unreasonably excited to see you finish it.

Are you really planning on doing red dragon next? If so that’s awesome. Margaret Thatcher’s Wild Hong Kong Ride is one of my favourite scenarios in any strategy game ever.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

I love this game and am unreasonably excited to see you finish it.

Are you really planning on doing red dragon next? If so that’s awesome. Margaret Thatcher’s Wild Hong Kong Ride is one of my favourite scenarios in any strategy game ever.

Thank you! I was suprised no one has done an LP of World in Conflict it on the forums.

I am planning to do Red Dragon! I did all the airland battle campaigns back in the day: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573864

My general plan is to let people in the thread pick 1-3 units, and order where they go each turn. Then I'll fight out the battles on the map.

I actually haven't played any of the campaign's except the 1st one, but I am just going to believe in myself that I can do it.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 13, 2020

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There was a LP of World in Conflict.

https://lparchive.org/World-in-Conflict/

Might be gone since it isn't on youtube though.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Klaus88 posted:

I watched that. Its a subtitled video LP and the videos are on archive.org.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's good to be able to compartmentalize when one of your officers commits a little bit of an atrocity and the other is a video game player. But maybe I repeat myself.

Anyways to go along with the French town I also really like this mission. It again focuses on something other than heavy tanks, repair vehicles, and artillery and instead of infantry eventually getting overwhelmed because buildings get destroyed or forests get burned you keep moving across the map instead of holding in position.

This is again one of those "if you don't know what's coming things" but I think holding that train station is probably one of the hardest secondary objectives in the game. Also the random artillery shells when you're crossing the frozen lake can really gently caress up that mission if you're unlucky.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

Oh! Apologies then, I missed it.

Hopefully not stepping on any toes.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

SerCypher posted:

Oh! Apologies then, I missed it.

Hopefully not stepping on any toes.

It's 10 years old, subtitled, and not on YouTube so I wouldn't worry about any toes being stepped on.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kibayasu posted:

It's good to be able to compartmentalize when one of your officers commits a little bit of an atrocity and the other is a video game player. But maybe I repeat myself.

Anyways to go along with the French town I also really like this mission. It again focuses on something other than heavy tanks, repair vehicles, and artillery and instead of infantry eventually getting overwhelmed because buildings get destroyed or forests get burned you keep moving across the map instead of holding in position.

This is again one of those "if you don't know what's coming things" but I think holding that train station is probably one of the hardest secondary objectives in the game. Also the random artillery shells when you're crossing the frozen lake can really gently caress up that mission if you're unlucky.

Yeah, the train station can get extremely hectic. Sometimes it's a cakewalk and sometimes it's a nightmare, and either way those rangers being able to call in pocket artillery strikes is critical.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also the first mission when I learned regular infantry carry AA missiles!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SerCypher posted:

Thank you! I was suprised no one has done an LP of World in Conflict it on the forums.

I am planning to do Red Dragon! I did all the airland battle campaigns back in the day: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573864

My general plan is to let people in the thread pick 1-3 units, and order where they go each turn. Then I'll fight out the battles on the map.

I actually haven't played any of the campaign's except the 1st one, but I am just going to believe in myself that I can do it.

I forsee that going terribly when you try to fight the second korean war, as that is very easy to get yourself wrecked in if you aren't quite careful about how you position your units :v:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Also the first mission when I learned regular infantry carry AA missiles!

Regular infantry are a little good at everything. Unfortunately that's never really made clear as you won't realize what weapons individual soldiers are carrying unless you zoom in or watch them fire at things.

OwlFancier posted:

I forsee that going terribly when you try to fight the second korean war, as that is very easy to get yourself wrecked in if you aren't quite careful about how you position your units :v:

I will just have to trust in the massive untapped armchair general potential of goons.

Update
World in Conflict: Mission 13, Lair of the Bearhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR6sJBupJcE

Our adventure behind enemy lines continues. It's time to get in and destroy some apartment buildings (and maybe a submarine or two). It's crazy how much easier a lot of these missions are with Heavy Tanks. Once you get a group up to Veteran, there isn't much the enemy can do to stop them unless they get off a lucky airstrike.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

SerCypher posted:

Once you get a group up to Veteran, there isn't much the enemy can do to stop them unless they get off a lucky airstrike.

Or you get an unlucky airstrike. :v:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Or you get an unlucky airstrike. :v:

Too soon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think we all know how Colonel Sawyer plans to escape from Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tbnC-gLhiw

I would have linked the entire ending sequence but I guess someone actually holds the rights to Megaforce

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
it's easy. NATO can supply and reinforce troops hundreds of miles behind enemy lines just as easily as USSR can resupply and reinforce troops in the US.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cambrian obelus posted:

it's easy. NATO can supply and reinforce troops hundreds of miles behind enemy lines just as easily as USSR can resupply and reinforce troops in the US.

"distance isnt real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the Kremlin gift shop with my lovely hummer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The true alpha game would be to steal the submarine and drive it back to the US.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The true alpha game would be to steal the submarine and drive it back to the US.

"Heed my words! This boat has the means to end this hideous war, in a definitive and elegant manner." - Captain Bannon, probably

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tulip posted:

"distance isnt real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the Kremlin gift shop with my lovely hummer

lmao

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

Man uses this one weird trick to win WW3, the Politburo hates him!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Update
World in Conflict: Mission 14, For the Motherlandhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJwWSOLqImk

Not really a strict spoiler, but rather at least give people a chance to watch the video.

So... it's not 100% clear if Maleshenko's wife died because of us. The city name is wrong, but it's possible that it's a bad spelling or a different name for it. I actually forgot this happened when I was playing this mission, and couldn't help laugh given how casually you demolish buildings in this game.

I think the implication is that it's our fault, and I think the game does a pretty effective role in that regard because you don't even consider collateral damage when you play. It doesn't really hit like Bannon's death, partly because Bannon is such a fuckup you feel bad for him (or at least I did). With Masha it's more 'Oh... whoops."

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

You really really like napalm huh?

I don't think any of your napalm strikes in like the last 5 episodes have ever been effective. It probably would have been better to just use Tank Busters on the clustered vehicles instead of doing chip damage when they drive through the fire.

Then again the chances of blowing up your own tanks would be far less with napalm, plus fire is fun.
:flame:

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 22, 2020

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

You really really like napalm huh?

I don't think any of your napalm strikes in like the last 5 episodes have ever been effective. It probably would have been better to just use Tank Busters on the clustered vehicles instead of doing chip damage when they drive through the fire.

Then again the chances of blowing up your own tanks would be far less with napalm, plus fire is fun.
:flame:

Yes.... It does seem to do some decent damage when it comes down, but not much else afterwards against anything but infantry.

On some maps it's just good because it blocks LOS, so it keeps enemy troops from shooting at you as they get close.

Here I didn't do much besides burn some old growth forests.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That forest knows what it did.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It was a commie forest.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Until now I thought Malashenko's family was killed by Bannon's tank, but it's been more than 10 years since I last played that game.

Would kill for a sequel. Great RTS with a well written story indeed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Laser guided antics aside I believe the implication is that it was indeed Bannon who killed them. He and Malashenko act as companions of sorts, two over eager soldiers both trying to prove themselves to a higher power - emotionally in one case and political in another - that ultimately doesn’t actually care about them. They unknowingly cross paths and both have profound effects on the other. We’ve seen Bannon’s ultimate conclusion already.

A unique mission that unfortunately just doesn’t have enough going on I think. It’s a novel idea to have the player command an on-map artillery battery but it also just comes down to clicking on the ground where the enemy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I think this game is secretly my favorite game of all time that I never recognize, might even be the first game I ever 100%'d. The first mission is just so captivating. Bringing in tanks and blowing poo poo up, especially when you're given the big artillery in some missions. Gah. I love it so much. Never been able to find another RTS that scratches the WiC itch. R.U.S.E. came close, but not quite there.

Despite playing through the game a couple of times, I don't think I ever picked up on the Bannon/Malashenko connection. I specifically remember this being mission being a pain in the rear end with the secondary objectives. Their helicopters could shred the artillery if I recall correctly and then blowing up their artillery only to have them just slightly move out of the range of an attack. Don't think I ever thought to use our helicopters to scout them out though after all these years :doh: