Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Imagine having Crohn’s disease and performing in front of hundreds of people constantly. Lol Christ. Shout out to him doing it for years tho, that takes guts.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
So with albums 21, 22, and 23 still to come this year...

https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1560217459679866880

Also, they dropped Live at Bonnaroo through Bandcamp and on the Bootlegger program. The Bootlegger torrent comes with the official Bonnaroo video recording too.

obliriovrons fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 18, 2022

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

obliriovrons posted:

So with albums 21, 22, and 23 still to come this year...

https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1560217459679866880

Also, they dropped Live at Bonnaroo through Bandcamp and on the Bootlegger program. The Bootlegger torrent comes with the official Bonnaroo video recording too.

Utter mad lads.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I think Demos Vol 3 + 4 counts as one of those albums tho.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I think Demos Vol 3 + 4 counts as one of those albums tho.

Demos Vol 1 + 2 weren't counted as albums (Omnium often correctly referred to as 20th album) so I disagree!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

do they specify when their albums are studio, live, or demos?

seems pedantic but we have three months left in the year and there's no album promotion cycle for the next one yet, so I'm not expecting there to be three more studio albums this year and I'm just going to assume they were talking about live and demo releases as well.

either that or we're entering the season of the gizz and sep-dec is going to be hectic. if that's the case we'll find out soon.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 22, 2022

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Stu said 3 studio albums, 2 "jammy" and 1 an album from 2017 that they finally finished. But given his health problems and the vinyl supply, who knows.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

do they specify when their albums are studio, live, or demos?

seems pedantic but we have three months left in the year and there's no album promotion cycle for the next one yet, so I'm not expecting there to be three more studio albums this year and I'm just going to assume they were talking about live and demo releases as well.

either that or we're entering the season of the gizz and sep-dec is going to be hectic. if that's the case we'll find out soon.

I mean, at this point in 2017, Sketches of Brunswick East, the third album of 2017, had come out August 18, and they hit their mark of 5 albums that year. With those, the albums were essentially being finished right before they put them out, including Stu still working on Gumboot (which came out December 31) on Christmas 2017, and with these, they seem to just have them complete. One would assume there's a plan; they've got a huge tour starting in just over a month in North America, maybe there's a plan around that.

Or maybe, like Brock said, the vinyl issues are causing issues, though you'd think they would kind of anticipate that at this point. But my copy of Omnium just showed up a few days ago and was originally supposed to ship in early July. I kinda feel like they for the most part don't want to have overlapping releases, i.e. releasing album 21 while everyone's still waiting on album 20 to ship.

For full pedantic clarity, though: they do in fact specify whether their releases are studio albums, live albums, or compilations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
i wish i could get made in timeland anywhere else but youtube

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

i am a moron posted:

i wish i could get made in timeland anywhere else but youtube

It's on vinyl :smuggo:

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I wonder if they'll leave Timeland as it is or if they'll add it to streaming once the marathon shows it was created for actually finally happen.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
They've announced a Gizzverse Record Fair for the Forest Hills show in Queens, the one black midi was added to recently. Per the Instagram post: "Tons of Bootleggers, Test Pressings, Limited Edition Variants, Warehouse Finds & other Rarities plus a limited-edition Tote Bag"

Normally I wouldn't consider this worthy of a post in here, but there's an attached design on the post, and on the left side of the image there are a few hints at the future, I believe. There are two items next to each other labelled ICE and LAVA and then another labelled CHANGES. Maybe the upcoming three releases? Could also see ICE and LAVA being references to the "yin and yang thing" but it feels early to put references to that in artwork for something happening in under two months.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1563725525075783681

hmmmm

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
In addition to the impending announcement, I found something about the third of the three remaining 2022 albums, just sitting at the end of an article about the Murlocs in Spin from July:

The last of the bunch is something Gizzard has been working on since 2017 — the longest amount of time the band has ever spent on a single record. “There isn’t a jamming vibe on it. It’s super considered, for a Gizz record,” frontman Stu Mackenzie tells SPIN. “Every overdub and every part is important. I suppose I would call it more of a song cycle. There’s something fitting about that one having taken so long to make and then wrapping the year up with it.”

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
wrong thread

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 28, 2022

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

Every overdub and every part is important. I suppose I would call it more of a song cycle.

Oh hell yeah, Decagon Infinity confirmed!

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1565112779006263296

There we are.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Oh gently caress yes

:holy:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

They're fuckin insane

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Can't stop won't stop

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

obliriovrons posted:

One would assume there's a plan; they've got a huge tour starting in just over a month in North America, maybe there's a plan around that.

Happy to see this panned out well. Tour's from September 30 to November 2, and by the time it's done the discography will have 3 more albums.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

My guess, judging from that artwork with the mysterious titles…

From left to right:

Changes, Fire, Ice.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

My guess, judging from that artwork with the mysterious titles…

From left to right:

Changes, Fire, Ice.

I'm guessing we've got Changes on the right, as the cover looks pretty close to the cover seen on the Gizzverse Record Fair poster, in addition to Ambrose looking down at his hand where he's holding... change.

From there, I'd guess the blue one on the left is Ice and the other is Fire, but hey, they could always subvert expectations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

obliriovrons posted:

I'm guessing we've got Changes on the right, as the cover looks pretty close to the cover seen on the Gizzverse Record Fair poster, in addition to Ambrose looking down at his hand where he's holding... change.

From there, I'd guess the blue one on the left is Ice and the other is Fire, but hey, they could always subvert expectations.

drat, did not notice. Lol.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1565474802739331072?s=20&t=2w3BH0_DtOzwuVzxlOGCZA

AND a music video.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
They posted the same photo to their Instagram story with the caption "WILL WE SURVIVE?!" and 5 ice cube emojis underneath. Someone on the Gizz subreddit pointed out that they teased what is likely this song here, at the May 21 Columbus show in the middle of a 20-some minute Am I In Heaven? jam.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

My new guess is that the leftmost album is a “structure album” like Poly and Nonagon and the premise is one main suite is Ice and the other main suite is lava, and there’s a middle section that bridges the two suites together.

Probably some poo poo about ice ages and global warming since they can never shut the gently caress up about climate change anymore.

the middle album is their nu-metal record.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 6, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeV1_8pM4o

Ice V is live - 10 minutes or so of some powerful funk vibes overlaid on a montage of Joey taking a bunch of amphetamine and ecstasy for a day at the beach. What a wonderful music video.

I like it, though 10 minutes may overstay it’s welcome a bit on repeated listens.

Edit: and the three records:

ICE, DEATH, PLANETS, LUNGS, MUSHROOMS AND LAVA

October 7, 2022

TRACKLIST:
1. MYCELIUM 07:36
2. ICE V 10:16
3. MAGMA 09:06
4. LAVA 06:41
5. HELL'S ITCH 13:28
6. IRON LUNG 09:05
7. GLIESE 710 07:48

LAMINATED DENIM

(The title is an anagram of Made in Timeland)

October 14, 2022

TRACKLIST:
1. THE LAND BEFORE TIMELAND - 15:00
2. HYPERTENSION - 15:00

CHANGES

October 28, 2022

TRACKLIST:
1. CHANGE - 13:03
2. HATE DANCIN’ - 3:16
3. ASTROTURF - 7:33
4. NO BODY - 3:42
5. GONDII - 4:57
6. EXPLODING SUNS - 4:40
7. SHORT CHANGE - 2:50

This is the one they’ve been working on since 2017 apparently. The first letter of each track spells CHANGES.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 7, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

if youre so proud to make a sequel to timeland in the same year it came out then put the album on steaming you cowards

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

if youre so proud to make a sequel to timeland in the same year it came out then put the album on steaming you cowards

I still don't get why Timeland is being treated like that. Do they think it's just too good for streaming?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

maybe it’s suppose to sync up with timeland and they’ll put both on streaming as a double album

anyways that Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms And Lava album cover looks like an AI made it. Which is to say that it looks very bad.

Did their usual artist guy work on the art of these albums?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
yep, each of the store pages says ARTWORK BY JASON GALEA

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I just noticed how they put a different drumset in each stereo-channel for the 2-drummer albums. Or at least on Nonagon and MOTU.
Sound really cool with some good headphones. One in each ear.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just listening to Made in Timeland now, it's great.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Just listening to Made in Timeland now, it's great.

Omnium Gatherum segues right into it if you didn’t notice.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pondex posted:

I just noticed how they put a different drumset in each stereo-channel for the 2-drummer albums. Or at least on Nonagon and MOTU.
Sound really cool with some good headphones. One in each ear.

I'll have to check that out with my big headphones. Seeing them on the Nonagon Infinity with both drummers just locked together was amazing.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Crain posted:

I still don't get why Timeland is being treated like that. Do they think it's just too good for streaming?

It was originally created as intermission music for Red Rocks, before Red Rocks was perpetually postponed and they ended up using it for the Timeland marathon gig earlier this year, so I kind of suspect they'll use it for day 1, use the new album for day 2, and drop them both on Spotify on the same day (3 days after Red Rocks day 2).

I got my reminder email for the Berkeley marathon today. It's in ten days! I've had these loving tickets for so long.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Omnium segues into timeland,

Timeland will probably segue into laminated denim

Laminated denim has polygondawanaland on the cover, hoping it segues into that album.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njk2YAgNMnE

choo choo cant stop the gizz train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This video is seriously wild, give it a watch

They were amazing in Berkeley btw