Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

i bought this UPS because it came highly recommended to me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY6FXMM

quote:

The product started smoking and failed 45 days after purchase. The warranty provider failed to respond to repeated communications requesting an RMA for over a month.

quote:

t's a great product until the power goes out. The first outage (1 month after install) with a light load and the unit goes into "F02". It does not supply power, one of two units started to smoke. At least it didn't smoke my equipment.

APC blamed it on "improper usage", one 250W max output PC, uh huh. Do not plug your toaster into it either. But they were so generous to still allow a warranty replacement. Unit out of stock, 2 weeks until it ships. I cannot wait for another "F02" brick!

I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Tripplite/Cyberpower cannot be much worse.

quote:

Followed directions to a T and it is emitting a chemical that is burning my eyes and throat (probably hydrogen sulfide?). Amazon refunded my money but the inconvenience is not alleviated. I bought it as a backup for my computer because I take proctored exams with it.

quote:

Unit had a strong electrical burn smell right out of the box. After plugging it in the smell got worse. I started to cough and had watering eyes. I tried to return it and found out it is not returnable. So I can not use it or send it back. If you buy this you are stuck with it whether it works or not.

quote:

I only had it for a little over a month and it just burned. It started beeping and I went to the owner's manual to try and find out what the problem was and then I smelled something and smoke started coming out of it, so I immediately unplugged it. The smell is awful. I certainly hope Amazon and APC will make this right.

quote:

This UPS sparked as soon as I plugged it in and never worked again...no warranty

quote:

Worked fine for a couple months, but then started high pitched whine, then a big spark, then a lot of smoke. Sitting on my porch now. Bought from PC Nation thru Amazon, PC Nation passed on any refund and directed me to APC. Currently waiting to hear from them about a refund. I do not want to replace it! Hesitant to buy something to protect my electronic devices, yet turns out to be a threat to burn my house down. I saw several similar comments about this unit - and to be fair, analogous units from other manufacturers. I've used UPS for many years, but always the small ones, never one of these beasts. And, of course, never again.

im good thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

that poo poo isn't pure sine wave no wonder people keep frying their PSUs/ UPSs by using it with computers

you gotta gotta gotta have pure sinusoidal output for modern computer power supplies

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

show me a pure sine wave UPS that doesnt have reviews like that and ill buy it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the one i use is the SMT1500

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-SmartConnect-Uninterruptible-SMT1500C/dp/B0762QJ6Y1

it's a little pricy though but it's solid af

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
do people not just go to refurbups anymore?

e: http://www.refurbups.com/APC-SUA1000-Smart-UPS-1000

slim pickings

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have an older version of this thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19W i bought it 3 years ago and it works fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

oops burned down my house cos i listened to shaggar

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

oops burned down my house cos i listened to shaggar

punishment fits the crime

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I turn off my computer whenever I am not using it, and only when it is safe to do so.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i suggest you grab for pennies on the dollar a recycled rackmount ups that just needs new batteries, toss a new set in there, and rack it with the rest of your equipment.

mines a 3000VA apc smartUPS. the backUPS are known to have a much inferior inverter and charger design that goes through batteries faster and has a real choppy output

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah SMT / smartups is the key you dont want the consumer poo poo line

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i built my own pc for the first time in like 20 years recently and i dont know what i hosed up but restarting doesnt work. like if i try to restart it will quit windows and then remain "on" without doing anything and i have to turn it off by pressing the case button. shutting down works fine.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully restarting is an annual event

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: "You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong."

Knight turned the machine off and on.

The machine worked.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
oh god i can't believe i have to buy a new UPS because mine doesn't have that sinewave poo poo. i was recommended the one i bought by like 6 different people. gently caress.

also op I found the guide to prevent restarting automatically that i used (i had to look it up again because last night my office computer auto rebooted despite the fact that i was in the middle of transferring files from one hard drive to another; great job microsoft!!

quote:

in windows explorer, go to
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator
rename the file called “Reboot” (no extension) to another name, such as Reboot.bak. then, in order to prevent a task with the same name from being created again, create a new folder and name it “Reboot”.

if you can’t rename the original file, right-click the Reboot file, and select “Properties”. open the security tab, then click on “Advanced”. change the ownership to your own user account and click the “Change permissions” button. you should now be able to rename the file.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
a gun that reboots computers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

punishment fits the crime

lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

though i'm a little pissed i didn't get a sinewave UPS and am potentially slowly frying all of my hardware, those reviews seem really suspect considering the UPS in question has 4 1/2 stars after 1,000+ reviews

for one, a few of them say "no warranty" which is bullshit. i had a power surge in my house a few years back and it fried my PC despite it being plugged into an APC brand UPS. the PC refused to boot after the power surge (i think lightning hit my house, seriously). APC not only replaced the UPS but they wrote me a check for the entire computer. it wasn't until a few years later i learned the thing that fried was the ethernet card which somehow caused the PC to not boot. so yeah, those "no warranty" reviews read like some bullshit made up by a competitor. APC is really good with warranties.

also "Unit had a strong electrical burn smell right out of the box. After plugging it in the smell got worse. I started to cough and had watering eyes. I tried to return it and found out it is not returnable." reads like more bullshit. amazon lets you return used underwear. and legally a company has to offer a replacement for at minimum 90 days in the US.

i'm not saying it's a good UPS (i've only had it for a few months; had two small surges/outages and everything is still fine) but you can find bullshit horror story reviews like that for anything, even stuff with 4 and a half stars average

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I was going to recommend the cyperpower ups I have but then I remembered I don't have it anymore after it let the smoke out.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have a cyberpower its worked fine for like 4 years

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

poty posted:

i built my own pc for the first time in like 20 years recently and i dont know what i hosed up but restarting doesnt work. like if i try to restart it will quit windows and then remain "on" without doing anything and i have to turn it off by pressing the case button. shutting down works fine.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

poty posted:

just flip the switch on your power supply to “0” and back.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

kids are trying to choose a movie and this bullshit fuckin traumatises them

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got an apple tv and enjoy my Media Experience™ much more now.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

i got an apple tv and enjoy my Media Experience™ much more now.

same. we have one in the living room and one in the basement. needs suited.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

would sure love to get out the tv remote, and change source on the tv to apple tv, so then I could surf apple tv for media with its effective remote, and then when I’m done or if I want to check the time, use the tv remote to flip back to windows. sounds worthwhile

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

would sure love to get out the tv remote, and change source on the tv to apple tv, so then I could surf apple tv for media with its effective remote, and then when I’m done or if I want to check the time, use the tv remote to flip back to windows. sounds worthwhile

heh. our vizio tv remote also works the apple tv. no setup required. :smug:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

would sure love to get out the tv remote

to apple tv

to flip back to windows

wait I think somewhere here you’re doing it wrong windows doesn’t belong on a tv

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sniep posted:

wait I think somewhere here you’re doing it wrong windows doesn’t belong on a tv

this is correct

your media should all be in one place, like infuse or plex or whatever. the time is in the side bar thing. the remote works fine?

what are you doing in windows, trying to use a mouse with your fucken tv, from the couch? lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you want a computer screen on your tv the best solution is still an apple tv. you click one thing on your macbook and all of a sudden your tv is your second monitor. get with the flow, grandpa

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echi god dammit just use the goddamn apple tv!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i learned the other day that on any text box on an appletv your phone will magically pop up <tap this button to type!> and the phone keyboard comes up and the text goes into the chat box. i can use the twitch app to watch streamers and shitpost from the couch. its rad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

if you want a computer screen on your tv the best solution is still an apple tv. you click one thing on your macbook and all of a sudden your tv is your second monitor. get with the flow, grandpa

second monitor?

my tv is my only monitor

President Beep posted:

echi god dammit just use the goddamn apple tv!!

:supaburn:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're gonna need to buy a macbook i guess. i figured everybody had Best Computer

(get a 2015 though)

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
give a hoot, don’t reboot

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

voting 5

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Windows Is Not Entertainment.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

i have no idea why i made that acronym but it sounded good when i thought of it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you're gonna need to buy a macbook i guess. i figured everybody had Best Computer

(get a 2015 though)

oh i got one of those, 2015 too. but i don’t really count it as a computer it’s more of a toy, and is used mainly when i’m at my gfs to teamviewer into my superior pc

creationist believer posted:

give a hoot, don’t reboot

:worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not sure why an i5 that can browse any web sight is a toy but you do you. i guess you do have an excuse cause you do all that rendery graphics stuff but