Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

D, haggling. We can learn how to prison shank a fool any time but how often do we have a dwarf around to learn from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
2.7. Receipts

Artist: Veronika Kozlova

You could always learn from the caravan later, but you don't know how long the dwarf will stay with you. You come back to Nazril.

The dwarf continues studying his map and scratching his head.

"Nazril, a word?"
"What is it? I'm trying to figure out how to get across half of Reikland on my own."
"How long have you traded for?"
"By myself? Not too long, maybe fifty-sixty years. I apprenticed under my pa for a good century, though."

By Morr, sixty years? How long do these dwarfs live for?

"And are you good merchant?"
"Good? Ha! There wasn't a man in Grissenwald that could get a better price. I was one of the regular suppliers for the Imperial Gunnery School over in Nuln! A good merchant, pah". He looks you over. "Why, you looking to apprentice?"
"Not as such. There is an... overlap between your trade and mine I'd like to work on."
"No-no-no, don't start spinning that yarn with me. YOU part fools and their coin. I provide an essential service."
"Is hope not essential? And warnings of things to come?"
"You spent a day in Grissenwald plying your trade. How many people did you warn about the attack?"
"How many cannon did your ore build? Nuln went to war a few years back. Let's not compare the blood on our hands, Ironbraid."

Nazril doesn't back down. He pulls out a small notebook, and starts counting numbers. It takes him a solid five minutes and a lot of used up paper, but he has his estimate.

"The latest Nuln-Averland skirmish from three years back wasn't much of a war, but they did use cannon. The year prior to that, I shipped enough ore to make about 17.6 pale imperial imitations of cannon, unless they wasted that on mortars, those use up less. Assuming each cannon fires at least once, and given standard firing conditions, the average kill rate should be somewhere around 6.3 men per shot, unless they hosed with the settings. Thus, cannon made from my ore killed at least 110 men in that 'war'."

He puts his notes away.

"Rule number one: always keep receipts."

You smile, and listen intently as Nazril rambles about tradecraft.

You have improved you Haggling skill. You can now improve your career level, becoming a Mystic.

Do you do that?

A. Yes, of course. It is time to leave minor trinkets behind, and tell real fortunes. You would be able to DOOM people, telling them how they would die, as well as see visions and have more direct interactions with the Winds of Magic.

B. No, we will remain a Fortune Teller. Mystics deal with much more dangerous ways of telling the future, and attract... unpleasantness. We will stick with the cards for now.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
B No to dark magicks for now

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A

We already see doom in the future, and it saved our lives. Learning to see more can only help us.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Big ol A

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Awesome!

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A. Is that even a question?

Shame vorebane, smh.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

vorebane posted:

B No to dark magicks for now

A wrongvoter, revealed! :v:

A

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
2.8. The Past Haunts Us Still

Artist: Mark Tarrisse

Your lesson with the dwarf could have gone long into the night, but eventually, you're interrupted by Dika. You didn't even notice her creep around you two until it was too late.

"Boo!"

Nazril jumps. You try to hide the fact that the little devil managed to catch you unaware once more, but it's no use.

"Saw you flinch!"
"Yes, very good Dika, snuck up on your poor old sister again. How very cruel. What is it?"
"The mothers cooked some of the food we brought. Caravan feast, let's go."

You wave at her to come closer and present her face. With a sigh, you wipe a few loose crumbs off her mouth. Blueberry.

"I can see that. What did I tell you about covering your tracks, Dika?"
"Bah, you weren't supposed to see it in the dark. No fair using the Sight! Cheatin' Mystic."
"Are you going to ask the guards to be fair too?"
"Hmph. Anyway, go to Baba Tsera's barge, I'm gonna bring a plate to the watchmen while you two slowpokes hobble over."

She waddles away, hands at her sides, like some sort of foreign bird, clearly mocking either you or the dwarf. You're not sure which one's worse. Nonetheless, she's right, a caravan feast is a rare celebration, and you should make haste before all the good bits are gone. In a big family, don't click your beak, Baba Tsera always says.

"Quite the mouth on her", the dwarf notes as you're making your way across the barges.
"She speaks her mind, yes. Dika's no shy Reiklander village girl, eyes to the floor when a man speaks."
"Meant no offense. There's something drat near Dwarven about that. Lots of pride in that girl."
"She has a lot to be proud of. Fast as an arrow. And annoyingly quiet, too. You got siblings?"
"Nah. My mother died young, and my pa couldn't find it in his heart to remarry. Got a cousin up in Auerswald, though, my mother's brother's kid, Okri. We write, you know, every so often. Last I heard, found work as an engineer. I should visit on my way to the mountains, Okri might have contacts in Karak Azgaraz."
"Your... quest is shaping up."
"It is. One step at a time."

You make it onto Baba Tsera's barge. You can hear the music and fragments of an old Strigany song much clearer now. Nazril goes in, but something keeps you on the deck. You look out into the darkness past the watchmen's lamps, and see nothing, just the Reik itself. It takes you a moment, but it clicks, and you get what's wrong. You're not moving. Nothing is: no birds, no fish, no clouds in the sky. Complete stillness surrounds you. You can see your breath, in mid-summer. An icy wind picks up, stirring the depths of your soul, while touching nothing around you.

Then you see it: a handful of... things that were human once. They glide past the shores and over the Reik, drifting towards the barges. Run.

Run!

You throw the door to Baba Tsera's barge open, and stumble inside.

"What's the matter, dearie," aunt Vadoma calls to you, "you look like you've seen a ghost."
"I-"

In that moment, they see them too. Glowing with a pale green light, the spirits enter the barge, drifting towards you. From this close, you can see that what used to be skin is covered in horrific burns, their faces stuck in a grimace of pain, forever. They look oddly familiar to you.

A crossbow bolt flies past you, straight towards the leader's head. It passes through him harmlessly, sticking into the wood behind him. You see Nazril reloading out of the corner of your eye.

"You...", the leader says, pointing what's left of his hand in your direction, "you made... us."

gently caress. Now you know where you've seen that face. The leader, with his scholar's robes, and his books, and his front, left pocket. The student from this morning. The men behind him must be the guards, though they're too far gone to recognize anymore.

"We cannot... rest... because of you."

All eyes on the barge are on you.

"Fix... this. Fix... us. Or all you know will... suffer."
"I don't, how would-"

Baba Tsera cuts you off.

"You need to bury them, child. Bury them on sacred ground."

The leader nods. Finally, someone gets him.

"Yes... bury. End... this. Swear... SWEAR!"

What do you do?

A. Make an oath to the ghosts that you will bury their remains on sacred ground. This will not be easy: Grissenwald is overrun by Skaven.

B. Lie to the dead. Yep, sure, bury-rebury, all that good poo poo. Then put as much distance between you and Grissenwald as you can.

C. Fight them. There are only four of them. Yes, the crossbow didn't seem to work, but there's bound to be something a bargeful of Strigany can do against a few ghosts.

D. Another plan?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A - it sounds like we will join Nazril's quest to reclaim Grissenwald, so you can do right by those you... simply failed to warn? Stupid ghosts looking for someone to blame.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D Ask WTF how is any of this my fault? The rats did this and if i warned any of you, you would have not believed me or worse thought me complicit for who I am you racists shits. I don't accept any guilt for the actions of others now be gone.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

Doing the right thing is never easy or rewarding, but it must be done.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Toughy posted:

D Ask WTF how is any of this my fault? The rats did this and if i warned any of you, you would have not believed me or worse thought me complicit for who I am you racists shits. I don't accept any guilt for the actions of others now be gone.
:yeah:

The ghosts want to haunt someone, should go buzz the rats instead.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The rats have poo poo that could kill the ghosts. We don't.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

chin up everything sucks posted:

Do they really? We're a mystic now we should be able to ward them or maybe bind them

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

A sounds like a good time.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Toughy posted:

Do they really? We're a mystic now we should be able to ward them or maybe bind them

This is Warhammer Fantasy, we just gained the class title... And none of the classes magic.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
e: no, I imagined that! A

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

chin up everything sucks posted:

See, I hear this and think that's the ghosts problem to find out. While we get far, far away from here.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
D Say to the dead men, "This is what you get for trying to hustle a Strigany." & promise to the dead youth to end his suffering.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
B

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Come visit glorious Reikland, where even the ghosts are racist!

ed.:

Skaven burst forth from the ground, ratling guns mowing down crowds, warpfire teams burning houses down. A guardsman stands alone, rubbing his chin.

"How could the Strigany do this to us?"

ed.ed.: Gosh, Skaven are just the coolest faction. The worst loving people, but the coolest.

Kayten fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 11, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
"Would you have heeded my words if I'd warned you? Or blamed me for it?"

Tentative A:

"Fine, one year. One year to the day and I'll see your corpses feed the worms. Until then you're bound to me. Those are the terms, or you can kill me and then what? Spook the living in tortured damnation for eternity? What'll it be?"

Trying to haggle a stupid situation into an advantage is the best tradition of forums CYOA.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 11, 2020

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Toughy posted:

D This. Go pester the rats instead.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
2.9. The Bargain

Artist: Peter Andrew Bukk

The student's ghost stares you down, his rage and pain so strong that you can taste it in the air. Or is that the Sight telling you something?

No matter. The ghosts come to bargain, and if there's one thing you can do, it's bargain. First, you turn to the trio of guards.

"You three. You came for me with malice, with greed, with nothing but ill intent. You wanted what little we had, and it was a miracle that we walked away at all. You insulted my craft, you insulted my family, you and held my sister for ransom. And after all of that, I still did not kill you. The rats did. We ran from the ratmen as much as anyone else."

You look at Nazril, hoping for a little support.

"Nazril Ironbraid of Grissenwald, tell me, do the ratmen often deal with the Strigany?"
"No, they do not. They make no deals with humans, or dwarfs, or even the Elgi." He spits, disgusted at the word leaving his mouth. "They only trade with other monsters."
"Thank you, Ironbraid."

You turn to the scholar.

"Albrecht von Einbeck, did the Stigany summon the rats?"
"What? Uh, no, as far as I can tell, the Skaven aren't ever really summoned as such. They tend to follow their own, often contradictory plans, wheels within wheels, meta-plans, backstabbing, and so on. Oh! Also, I tried to warn the Baron about the Skaven a week ago, and he didn't even believe they existed? Threatened me with a witch hunter. Typical of the nobility, if you ask me, always-"
"Thank you, herr von Einbeck." You turn back to the trio. "Your death was a tragedy, and the world is worse for it. But I had nothing to do with it."

The trio looks at each other, confused. Eventually, the formerly fat man speaks.

"You... lied! No... warning!"
"Yes, I lied. The ratmen were too many and too strong, there is nothing you could have done. Instead of spending your final hours in terror, jumping at shadows, you spent it in bliss, caught in a pleasant daydream. I did not kill you. I only killed your pain."

The spirit doubles over, his "skin" nearly coming off from the sudden movement, causing him to shriek in agony.

"We... hurt!"

You walk up to the once fat man, and move your hand over theirs.

"I know. I can feel your pain echo through the Winds. And yet, I cannot release you." You look away, holding a dramatic pause. "But you can."

The trio floats to you, layering over each other, eager to be free.

"Release... how?"
"The rats that killed you walk in Grissenwald still. Fly back to the town and make them pay. If you prevail, you will have your revenge, and be free. If they put an end to you, at least you will no longer suffer."

The dead guards look at each other and take off, gliding through the barge's walls.

The student remains. He rises above you.

"Not so... innocent! Stole! Robbed... me!"

You sigh.

"You're right. I wronged you. I make no excuses to you. But I can still make it right."
"Can't... unkill me!"
"I can't. But I can lay your body to rest on Sigmar's sacred ground. End your suffering."
"Swear!"

No turning back now. Making oaths with the undead, proving every Reiklander right about your people.

"I swear upon Morr, I will return to Grissenwald, I will find your body, and I will bury you with all the rites you deserve. I will free you of this suffering."

The dead student reaches out with his ghostly unhand, and touches yours.

"The oath... is sealed."

And just like that, he's gone. You just talked down a group of ghosts. Holy poo poo.

You look around, looking for applause, or at least a few smiles, but find nothing but dirty looks from the Stigany. Only Dika runs up to you, giving you a big hug.

"You didn't even have to stab anyone! How did you do it?"

You pat her on the head, somewhat absentmindedly.

"I'm just that good, I guess."

Baba Tsera breaks the silence looming over the caravan.

"Is this a feast or isn't it? I'm sure not letting a few unwanted guests spoil my dinner!"

The Strigany around you laugh, and go back to eating. Baba Tsera walks over to you.

"Come, sweetling. We need to talk."

You follow her away from the revelry to her cabin. She closes the door, whispers a few words, and you two are cut off from the world. You can't hear the waves or the music next door. Nothing but Baba Tsera's squeaky footsteps.

"Sit, sweetling, sit." You oblige her, finding a crate to plant yourself down on.
"Pretty good, huh? No magic, no violence, and they're still gone."
She shakes her head. "No, this wasn't good. You brought a great danger to the caravan."
"Yeah, and then got rid of it! We're all fine! I'm the only one who gave an oath, even."
"That doesn't matter. The undead came for us, Myrela. Because of you. You brought back the fear of the way things were. When the Strigoi ruled those of us who knelt, and hunted those who didn't. When we were nothing but cattle to vampire lords, to be drained at will. Their great armies of ghouls and banshees, and us, the least in their kingdom."
"I didn't-"
"Mean to, I know, sweetling. I blame myself. I taught you to See, but not to be careful. I'm sorry, sweetling."
"So, what now?"
"I will tell you what will happen. Everyone will grumble, and eventually, someone will say 'Myrela is a threat, we must get rid of her!', and the caravan will vote. You will not win this vote. Even my voice only counts as one. They will moor the barges, and they will set you down on the shore. You will be an exile from exiles."

She won't even loving look at you.

"But there is another way. The old Reiklander and the dwarf. They will not be with the caravan for long. If you promise to go with one of them, I will keep our people quiet until then. You will leave, yes, but without exile, without shame. One day, you might even come back to the caravan."

You sit, stunned. The caravan is the only family you've had after your mother. That they would turn their back on you like that?

"And Dika?", you say.
"What about Dika? She summoned no spirits, she swore an oath to no ghost. If you wish, Dika can stay with us. I swear, I will protect her as I would my own daughter. The forests and cities of Reikland are not kind to Strigany. She is but a child."

Baba Tsera awaits your answer.

A. You go with the newcomers, but Dika stays. The caravan can protect her better than you can.

B. She's your sister! You leave with the newcomers, and Dika comes with you

C. You've talked people (and ghosts!) down before. You can convince the caravan to let you stay. It'll work out.

D. Another plan?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A.

Also summon that spooky nerd back up. We're doing him a favour, he needs to reciprocate. I bet we can run some Frighteners style shenanigans.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A. Well, good thing the dwarf is here I suppose. Gives us a decent start at least.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B but instead we let Dika decide.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Lux Animus posted:

exactly

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Lux Animus posted:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lux Animus posted:

+1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
2.10. Leaving Home

Artist: Dominika Sikora

"This is not my choice to make", you tell Baba Tsera. "Dika is her own person. Let her decide."

Baba Tsera nods towards the door. You walk over and open it.

Dika loses her balance and falls into Baba Tsera's cabin. Instead of hitting her head on the ground, she does a little roll. Showoff. You close the door behind her.

"I couldn't hear anything anyway! Not even a whisper!"
"You're not in trouble, sweetling" says Baba Tsera. "But we do need to talk to you."

You squat down next to your sister.

"Dika. Serious times."
She nods. "Serious times."
"I'm going away for a while. Gotta deal with this whole ghost thing."
"I'm coming with you."
"It's going to be very dangerous."
"Uh-huh, I'm coming with you."
"I don't think you understand-"
She puts her foot down. "I don't think YOU understand. You're my sister. Of course I'm gonna come with you. You'd be lost without me. Who's going to watch your back?"

Baba Tsera stands up.

"It seems the girl has made her choice. I wish you two the best of luck."

She wanders over to a cabinet, whispers a few words and unlocks it. Inside, there's a small book covered in charms and warding runes.

"Something to help you in your travels. I won't be around to teach you to See, but this may help. Just be careful. The Winds are fickle, and can harm you as much as they help. Now give me your hand, sweetling."

She puts your hand on the cover and whispers. It's too quiet to hear, but you can see her breath envelop the book. Your fingers tingle, and you feel the cover getting warmer.

"Let the book know you."

You hesitate for a moment, but hey, it's not weirdest thing you've seen today.

"Uh, hi, I'm Myrela Shizhyr."

The book vibrates in response, almost like a handshake.

"Good, now you two are acquainted. The book will help, if you ask it nicely."

She hands it to you.

"Now go and eat, you're all skin and bones."

You and Dika head back to the feast, hoping there's at least some food left. Nazril calls you over.

"Saved you some," he says, uncovering a plate. "Nice job with the Uzkular."
"Thanks for the assist. Listen, Nazril. I've been thinking-"
"That it'd be a lot easier to re-bury the poor bastard if there are no Thaggoroki around."
"Well, yes."
"So you want to come with me."
"Pretty much."
"Alright."
"That's it?"
"Yep. You kept your cool and dodged trouble. That'd be helpful."
"drat, I had a whole speech planned and everything."
"No need. Now eat."

You dig into the food, only just now realizing how hungry you really are.

[Race unlocked: Imperial Dwarf]

[Profession unlocked: Merchant]

---

The barges finally slow down the next evening. By the time you and Dika finish packing, Nazril and Albrecht are already waiting.

"Oh, the little one is coming with you?" the professor asks.
"Watch who you call little, old man."
"Dika, behave", you say.

Nazril helps the professor move his bags to the shore as Pesha ties off the barge.

You take a look back at what was your home for so many years. Baba Tsera comes over to wish you goodbye.

"I know it's hard, sweetlings. But, stars willing, we will see each other again. I love you both."

You and Dika embrace the woman that has always been like a grandmother to you.

"Remember: be careful. Do not start fights you can't win. And just because you CAN talk, doesn't mean you SHOULD."
"Thank you, Baba Tsera. We'll remember."

Dika lets go before than you do. You hold on to your last connection to your home for as long as you can, hiding your tears in Baba Tsera's shawl.

You finally let go, and jump off the barge with Dika. Pesha unties his knot, and throws the rope back to the others. You hug him too.

"I'll miss you, Pesha."

He shakes his head and throws out a few signs sign: follow, protect.

"What? No, the caravan needs you!"

He points towards you and Dika and signs once more: family.

Dika slaps you on the back.

"Of course Pesha is coming! You didn't think he'd abandon us because of a few ghosts, did you?"

And so, your group stands on the shore, watching the caravan drift away downriver. You're in Reikland now.

In the distance, you see a group of Reiklanders in white garb gather around bonfires.

Albrecht looks around, consulting Nazril's map.

"Ah, the Lorlay. Were I twenty years younger..."
"Twenty? Al, be honest. You're at least thirty years too old for those celebrations", Nazril says.
"What's a Lorlay?", Dika asks.

Albrecht's face goes red.

"Well, uh, you see, when a man and a woman love each other very much, they, uh, need to get married. And before they get married, there is often a gathering-"
"It's a stag party, Dika", you add.
"It's not JUST a stag party!" Nazril bellows. "These aren't your run-of-the-mill peasants. These are Taalites! Worshippers of the nature gods. They say the Lorlay is a sacred place, guarded by some swimming Elgi broad. These Taalites come from all over Reikland to drink themselves stupid and dance under the moon 'as nature intended'. I'm saying it's a FANTASTIC stag party."

He points to a series of lights in the distance.

"They're filthy rich, so they stay at those fancy inns way over there. Can't sleep in the woods, that'd be conduct unbecoming Reiklander nobility."

So, where to?

A. Head to the bonfires. Read some fortunes, gawk at some cultists.

B. Check out the inns. You don't have enough money to stay at any of them, but you can definitely find with a few clients.

C. Ignore noble decadence. Head towards the the road west, and get a move on.

D. Another plan?