Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

OldMemes posted:

I like how Laura Bailey is basically the de facto voice for Black Widow in everything. How is the story, or is that not in the beta?

Yeah the above posts pretty much sum it up. It’s supposedly about 6-8 hours long. We shall see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There's two or three story missions, including the prologue which everyone's already seen, about 10 - 12 multiplayer missions of varying length and complexity, some challenge rooms and one hidden mission.

It's probably about 8 - 10 hours if you mainline everything.

Characters can get up to 45 Power and level 15, but you only have one page of their skill trees available.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 12, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So it's fully playable single player?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

OldMemes posted:

So it's fully playable single player?

Everything in the beta and almost everything in the full game can be played singleplayer (I think some of the hardest, end-game content requires actual players like most games nowadays). Your other characters slot in as AI.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When you’re playing on your own in a mission with the other characters present can you swap between them or are you locked into the one you picked when starting it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

When you’re playing on your own in a mission with the other characters present can you swap between them or are you locked into the one you picked when starting it?

You can't swap. You're the character you picked all the way through during the 'multiplayer' missions.

Singleplayer missions, you do swap during the mission sometimes, but it's pre-ordained.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I watched a stream of someone playing the beta and even without the exclusives and tie ins this looks like a disaster.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I went into this expecting it to be completely terrible, but I left the beta really impressed. Maybe the effect of lowered expectations, but it feels way better than it looks and seems like a really robust platform, at the very least.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

There's only a couple snippets from the story. Though I think everyone agrees that the Hulk and Kamala story mission is the highlight of the beta.

If the story keeps up like that it should be fine, especially since it did a great job with Kamala.

Yeah as soon as I got onto the helicarrier and had to do these war table missions, my enthusiasm plummeted. Maybe actually being able to have a full multiplayer team would make a difference but, I also just don't enjoy these capture the flag or beat the wave missions as much as I enjoy advancing a single player or co-op narrative. I recognize that, as an Old, I'm not the target audience for video games anymore, but gently caress me, this is boring. Thankfully, I still have a bunch of GoT to get through.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The story length is also said to be 10-12 hours. They compared it to the length of the recent Tomb Raider games. They also said if you want to do more sidequests that would bump it up to around 30 hours.

But yeah, I don't think I'll be going into the multiplayer thing of this much. Just really want to play the story.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah you can do everything solo. Every single mode. The story. Everything.

So you can go the entire game and never talk to a single person. So if that’s your bag, you’re good!

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

ICR posted:

So you can go the entire game and never talk to a single person. So if that’s your bag, you’re good!

Which is good since there is no text chat anyway!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

you can disable matchmaking in the settings before the intro mission

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ICR posted:

I thought they confirmed the Raids couldn't be done solo/with AI buddies?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
People being genuinely excited for this makes me wonder how out of touch with gaming i am. Combat is so boring to me and the beta just seems like visual eye candy at the expense of gameplay, etc. I was bored by the end. What a shame.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It looks alright but not something I'd pay full price for

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Has anyone asked the most important question yet?

Will there be official forums?

edit: guess ill contribute, I played the beta but only for the first two missions, and my limited impression is that its a pretty fun beat em up style game. The combat is interesting in that they are trying to mash up different action platformer styles into one game. So for example if you liked the arkham combat play cap, if you like DMC combat play widow ect.

All told it has an ambitious concept, that if I'm being optimistic it really could be the first good action rpg beat em up game.

However if i'm being pessimistic my gut tells me it will collapse in on itself like a black hole after the first ten polished hours of single player scripted missions under the wight of its own bloated ambition.

I'm going to mess around with multiplayer this weekend.

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 12, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GarudaPrime posted:

edit: guess ill contribute, I played the beta but only for the first two missions, and my limited impression is that its a pretty fun beat em up style game. The combat is interesting in that they are trying to mash up different action platformer styles into one game. So for example if you liked the arkham combat play cap, if you like DMC combat play widow ect.

I'll give this a go in the open beta, but I find it incredibly unlikely there's anything deep enough here to approach anything like Devil May Cry. It might be generous to compare it even to the better Arkham games from what I've seen and heard. The Arkham games at least had fluidity and responsiveness on their side. It felt good to artfully dodge between 15 people expertly taking them out. I haven't seen anything that looks remotely like that.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

From the Marble Aggregators/Marsupial Aspergers/Martian Averagers/Mustafa Aligers Website:

quote:

We’ve been hearing a lot of questions surrounding the PC Specs for Marvel’s Avengers, which makes us excited to finally discuss them! Like other platforms, we wanted to maximize the PC’s capabilities in order to make the best version on Steam that we can.

First of all, the PC version offers an optional 30GB high-resolution texture pack, bringing the richest, highest-detailed visuals throughout the game world. Forests will feel lusher, the tundra more frigid, and AIM facilities all the more sinister to really bring the experience to life. Additionally, there will be support for ultra-wide resolutions as well as multi-monitor configurations so Marvel’s Avengers will look good no matter your set up.

In order to give you the smoothest experience we can that fits your particular gaming comforts, there will be fully unlocked framerate to support extremely responsive 144hz gameplay on capable systems. There will also be fully configurable keyboard and mouse controls with many customizationoptions to tune them to your playstyle and the ability to seamlessly switch between controllers and keyboard/mouse and use our recommended controller configuration or have the option to fully customize their layout to your liking.

Of course, you need to make sure Marvel’s Avengers runs on your PC, so here are the minimum and recommended specs.

Minimum Spec:

CPU: i3-4160 or AMD equivalent
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 950 / AMD 270 (min 2GB video ram)
DirectX 12
75GB HDD space

Recommended Spec:

Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K, 3.4 Ghz or AMD Ryzen 51600, 3.2 Ghz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 480, 8GB.
DirectX 12
110GB SSD space

The Pre-order BETA for Steam takes place between August 14-16. The Open Beta will be from August 21-23 for all Steam players! Who will you be playing come BETA day? We built the Marvel’s Avengers BETA to give you a slice of the full game experience: single-player content from the original campaign, co-op War Zone missions, hero and world progress, and even more! The aforementioned high-resolution texture pack is available for download in the BETA!

Hero progression is one of Marvel’s Avengers main systems, and the BETA gives a taste of earning experience to level up your unique Hero. In the BETA, you’ll have access to the starting Skill page for Iron Man, Hulk, Kamala, and Black Widow. You can reach up to a Hero Level of 15 and a Power Level of 45 in the BETA.

You can also unlock two exclusive Nameplates for participating in the Marvel’s Avengers BETA, which will be carried over to launch. Other progress – such as story progress, gear, and character leveling, will not be carried over to the final game. However, your progress will carry over between weekends! Still have BETA questions? Check out our FAQ for more information!

Get ready to Embrace Your Powers on September 4 when Marvel’s Avengers launches on Steam!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

ICR posted:

From the Marble Aggregators/Marsupial Aspergers/Martian Averagers/Mustafa Aligers Website:

Yay I'm more than the recommended!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So the beta this weekend anyone can download and have a go?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

teacup posted:

So the beta this weekend anyone can download and have a go?

On PS4, allegedly. Xbox and PC are pre-order only this weekend, and next weekend is apparently open for all three platforms.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Does the power level or actual level of the other characters affect the AI at all if you play solo?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Seedge posted:

Does the power level or actual level of the other characters affect the AI at all if you play solo?

I’m not entirely sure, the cosmetics are definitely there, but I think they might scale to your lead character’s level.

Zaodai posted:

I'll give this a go in the open beta, but I find it incredibly unlikely there's anything deep enough here to approach anything like Devil May Cry. It might be generous to compare it even to the better Arkham games from what I've seen and heard. The Arkham games at least had fluidity and responsiveness on their side. It felt good to artfully dodge between 15 people expertly taking them out. I haven't seen anything that looks remotely like that.

It’s different from both of those games, but more complex than the Arkham games.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Zaodai posted:

On PS4, allegedly. Xbox and PC are pre-order only this weekend, and next weekend is apparently open for all three platforms.

Great, I've got a PS4 Pro so I'll give this a shot before dropping any cash on it.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I just watched a few beta review videos, and the general consensus is that this game isn't that great. That and it looks like it's going to be a gross cash grab post launch, as in like possibly a battle pass you have to buy PER CHARACTER.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Patch Notes for tomorrow’s OPEN PS4 beta and preorder beta for PC/Xbox. Here goes:

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/patch-notes-beta-103

quote:

General

· Various crashes and game becoming unresponsive fixed

· Save game optimizations

Matchmaking

· Multiple matchmaking issues addressed

· IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON MATCHMAKING: On Xbox One, if your NAT type is set to STRICTor MODERATE, you may run into issues with matchmaking and connecting. For more information on seeing and changing your NAT type, head here: https://support.xbox.com/help/Hardware-Network/connect-network/xbox-one-nat-error

Players on PS4 may also run into matchmaking issues due to NAT type. Please head here for moreinformation: https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Troubleshoot-Wired-or-Wireless-Network-Connection

Characters

· Character Selection improvements

o Fixed the issue where you couldn’t select or change Super Heroes

· Companion respawn improvements

· Hulkbuster

o Fixed the issue where the screen would turn black when another Super Hero would use the Hulkbuster

o Various other improvements

Missions and War Zones

· Mission Summary improvements

o Fixed issues with the Abomination fight

· Missing strongbox fixes

We’re continuing to address other issues that have been brought up and have other fixes planned for launch on September 4. Here is a list of known issues that we’re still actively working on.

Feedback Items In-progress for Future Patch

· Infrequent occurrence of multiple Super Heroes spawning

· Reduction in screenshake

Known Issues

· Missions, HARM Challenges, War Zones and Drop Zones

o If you cannot progress past the Golden Gate Bridge, please close the app, open notifications on PS home screen, and launch the game again once the beta is fully downloaded.

o If you cannot progress in a mission, open the Options menu, and select Reload Checkpoint.

· UI

o Depending on settings, some UI elements may not appear properly.

o Some icons and elements are not final.

o Cosmetic gameplay rewards may not unlock properly.

· Heroes and AI Companions

o Once you have unlocked Iron Man and Black Widow, you must select them in the Select Hero / Companions menu to equip their Level 6 starting gear.

o OpenSelect Hero / Companions menu to assign specific heroes to assist on supported missions.

o Spendtime advancing each Hero to keep the most efficient and effective Strike Team.

Thanks for all the support and the feedback! The entire team has spent countless hours watching all the content you created, so keep it up! If you run into more issues this weekend, please let us know on any of the links below.

Customer Support: https://sqex.to/globalsupport

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayAvengers/

Discord: https://discord.gg/PlayAvengers

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playavengersgame

Instagram: https://instagram.com/playavengers

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I get the feeling this game is going to launch in a poor state similar to Anthem.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It has solid gameplay and seems to have something beyond a baseline level of content, so no, I don't think it'll be anywhere near that.

The beta alone is a more fulfilling and interesting experience than the entirety of Anthem's release.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It looks like it will at least have a satisfying single player story which also puts it ahead of Anthem.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That too, I think the moment to moment writing doesn't shine in what they've showed, particularly the awful A-Day level they've used to promote the game, but it seems like it's got a pretty decent spine and some of the Bruce and Kamala stuff was really nice.

I get the Anthem comparisons and this is still a GaaS thing, so it could just fall flat on it's loving face at launch in any number of ways, but I think people are forgetting just how loving bad Anthem was at launch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah if you've read the Kotaku story about Anthem, it was obvious just how loving insanely bad the production and development of that game was, right down to the wire. The Avengers game at least looks like they're putting out a decent product and with a lot of promise for a fun game you can just mess around with.

There are a lot of Destiny/Anthem games out there so it's nice to have one that's more in line with Ultimate Alliance and less to do with shootman stuff. Will be fun to play as characters like Hulk, Thor, and Ms Marvel since that's the kind of brawling stuff I'd rather do in a GaaS experience.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How does a 6ft tall chump with a shield block Hulk beating on them?

That's a problem with this game. You don't feel like a badass superhero. You feel just slightly more powerful than chump enemies. A lot of enemies are more powerful than you. Not named Villians just big robot #352.

It's one thing that Marvel Hero's got right. You could burn through tons of chump enemies with ease. No way it should take hulk or Thor more than 1 or 2 hits to knock out chumps. Watching Iron man's uni-beam just take off such a small amount of health off a non-boss enemy is just sad.

The combat in general just feels so drat boring.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think if you're getting that outmatched by the basic enemies in the beta, who aren't that powerful in game terms, you're not using the abilities to their fullest.

A lot of stuff in the beta is under-tuned due to not having it's specific skill trees unlocked; Iron Man's Hulkbuster for example or some of Hulk and Ms Marvel's moveset, but pretty much all the basic enemies are easy to deal with in one combo or less.

If you're dodging, parrying and utilizing all the moves available to you, especially with Iron Man or Black Widow, you should pretty much never get touched and can be constantly dishing out lots of damage.

Even the Adaptoids, who are probably the 'toughest' enemies in terms of sheer health pools and resistances, are pretty easy to burn down if you're co-ordinating and using your abilities appropriately.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lol they're not complaining about being out matched, they're saying that if hulk punches a basic guy that guy should immediately go flying, not just stumble in place so he can take another two hits.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Dan Didio posted:

I think if you're getting that outmatched by the basic enemies in the beta, who aren't that powerful in game terms, you're not using the abilities to their fullest.

A lot of stuff in the beta is under-tuned due to not having it's specific skill trees unlocked; Iron Man's Hulkbuster for example or some of Hulk and Ms Marvel's moveset, but pretty much all the basic enemies are easy to deal with in one combo or less.

If you're dodging, parrying and utilizing all the moves available to you, especially with Iron Man or Black Widow, you should pretty much never get touched and can be constantly dishing out lots of damage.

Even the Adaptoids, who are probably the 'toughest' enemies in terms of sheer health pools and resistances, are pretty easy to burn down if you're co-ordinating and using your abilities appropriately.

I just started playing an couple of hours ago. I was talking about all of the looks at the beta made it look like combat was bad.

After playing yep the combat is poo poo. It does not feel good. God of War feels great. PS4 Spiderman feels great. This is is just bad.

Please don't say it will be better on release cuz it won't. I really wanted this game to be good and its not. I bet the loot grind is going to make Destiny look absolutely fast-paced.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

dogstile posted:

Lol they're not complaining about being out matched,

Raged posted:

A lot of enemies are more powerful than you.

Raged posted:

I just started playing an couple of hours ago. I was talking about all of the looks at the beta made it look like combat was bad.

Oh, I thought when you were talking about how the game felt, you'd actually played it at the time.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, it's certainly not as precise or refined as God of War or Spider-Man, but they're all very different games, with a very different focus.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I would argue it doesn't feel bad. It just feels fine. Mediocre? Average? It's a good baseline for comparing to other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Raged posted:

After playing yep the combat is poo poo. It does not feel good. God of War feels great. PS4 Spiderman feels great. This is is just bad.
It's like going from GR:Wildlands to Breakpoint (before the patch that made the predatory loot mechanics toggleable). Shoot a guy in the head, see a health bar deplete slightly. It feels off.

But I didn't have issues with the combat as much as with the mission structure, and that's on me playing solo. The campaign should be fine.