Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
every time we went down when i was a kid my dad would always yell “CHANGE” when feeding the toll and my mom would always punch him in the arm lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

not my dad, but when my friend's ancient grandma was diagnosed with terminal cancer, her lovely old husband bitched and moaned when she became too weak to cook him dinner every night

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
dad thread taking a turn

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

dad thread taking a turn

eh I was trying to think about how to bridge the gap with my dad and it all just came out lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gently caress that guy, focus on your kids

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

mate .. this hits me. I just don’t know how to do with this my dad, coz he’s always so contrary with his terrible closed minded music opinions. I told him to watch the video where danny carey drums pneuma and he watched a minute of it while reading the comments and then said neil peart from rush was better even tho he never listened to rush and doesn’t realise danny carey is such good friend with neil that he played at neils tribute after he died, and danny is clearly good enough to be in neils company. his attitude that stuff was better in the 70s and that it’s basically impossible to improve on it and is closed minded to anything else. gently caress don’t get me started 🤬 he pisses me off so much lol

i never thought I'd see a "i dont get along with my dad because he thinks Neil Peart is the best drummer" but here we are.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

my dad never had a father and lived in orphanages and moved dozens and dozens of times. when he had us he committed himself to have one home and never move, and that home was always open and we could always stay. that was excellent to be fair. shame he never really adjusted any other part of his parenting. he lived his life for himself. motorcycling every other weekend and fishing whenever he wasn’t. remember when I first had kids and he told me I should find a hobby to escape the family. he’s also told me he felt like an outsider in our family but that’s his own doing not my mum’s like he says. whenever my mum is talking to me he listens in the background and groans every 3 seconds at her. it’s so disrespectful. then my mum might tease him about something, and he’ll storm out complaining about put downs. he’s so loving useless. my mum hurt her hip and had to use a crutch to move around. did my dad offer to do the lawns? no she did them. when she broke her hip and it was still healing, he pissed off and did some bullshit and let her move the house by herself which damaged her healing hip. she cooks all the meals and he just complains like he’s meant to be a critic. her life will improve so much when he dies. he left her for another woman and when it didn’t work out he came back and she let him. she’s made a rod for her own back that way. then he moved out by himself and had to get a loan and she was the guarantoor for that for some reason. he then realised he can’t do anything for himself and then moved back home with debt. he owns an old toyota 4runner which has done almost 400k km and the repairs are getting so expensive that my mum has to end up paying because they have seperate money but he wastes all his money on coffee at a cafe far away that’s basically like cheers but a cafe. i’ve inherited terrible money skills from him. he mocks my kids haircuts. he calls them pansies if they get hurt and cry. he’s unashamedly homophobic. he believes the indigenous people here should have a day a year of being thankful to the whites for improving their lives. gently caress

My dad was super crappy as well but the thing you have to remember is that dads aren't perfect and sometimes they come from nothing and don't know how to do anything. Lord knows I sure don't.

All I know is that I am a marginally better dad than my dad, which is a pretty low bar, and honestly he was better than his dad, which is basically the lowest bar on earth - grandpa was a fuckin piece of work i tell you what.

I don't have much of an example of how to be a dad, more of a counterexample really, but your dad didn't even have that. So idk man. Forgiveness doesn't cost you a lot and has potentially large returns.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like no one is saying you gotta be pals. but just some acknowledgement that you know he did the best he knew how.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

my dad doesn't beat me with a belt any more, so that's nice

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

like no one is saying you gotta be pals. but just some acknowledgement that you know he did the best he knew how.

okay but that's kind of meaningless

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

i suppose I can get behind this, and he wasn’t a bad father really when I was a kid, it’s just the lovely old person he’s turned into that I struggle with. and in fact if he wasn’t such an rear end in a top hat to my mum it’d probably be ok, but what I see reinforced every week when I see him is a dude that treats my mum worse and worse as time goes on.

and my mum is amazing. she really is the loveliest thoughtful giving person. everyone who knows my mum thinks she amazing, and despite how giving and caring and selfless she is, my dad is still an rear end in a top hat to her.

at least my kids, who spend every afternoon after school with them, know he’s not a role model, and know that how he acts is poo poo, and to try to not take his toxic masculinity to heart, and to do what they can to never treat a woman like he does.

my dad attended countless domestic abuse situations as a cop. he should know better. or maybe he just things coz he doesn’t physically abuse his wife that it’s all good. 🤷‍♂️

when I see him tonight tho i’ll try to go in open minded.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

ok then dont, idgaf

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
human psychology is deeply founded in dads. if you don’t have a good dad foundation, talk to a therapist. or become a stripper.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s heartwarming hearing the good stories. i’ve purposely chosen to do what I can to be a good dad, which includes accepting that maybe I need to change. I used to get so angry with the kids when they were young, they’d frustrate me so much. my ex wife used to call me out on it all the time. I’ve done what I can to change that and now most people would consider me the most chill and unrageeable person they know. god knows my kids have benefitted from it.

but so many people are just like “this is how i am” and just continue to average-parent.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

he wastes all his money on coffee at a cafe far away that’s basically like cheers but a cafe.

this poo poo is all dark af, one love mate, but this line cracked me up

quote:

he believes the indigenous people here should have a day a year of being thankful to the whites for improving their lives. gently caress

thanks bob jones. also, powerful chch boomer energy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I once caught my dad smoking dope in his room when I was 13 and he quickly hid it behind his back, puffed out the smoke and said “it wasn’t me”.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shaggy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

this was pre shaggy

maybe not bombastic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

this poo poo is all dark af, one love mate, but this line cracked me up

thanks bob jones. also, powerful chch boomer energy

indeed

especially being a cop here. once he told me about how they took off their badge numbers during a riot so they could beat whomever without fear of reprisals

aaaah the good old days dad would say when you could arrest someone for swearing at a cop. i remember him lamenting the era where everyone learned about their rights

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

this was pre shaggy

maybe not bombastic

shaggy ripped off your dad

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

drat citizens

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

shaggy ripped off your dad

“it wasn’t me”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i cant believe moocow is shaggys son, this thread is nuts

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya weird but true

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

indeed

especially being a cop here. once he told me about how they took off their badge numbers during a riot so they could beat whomever without fear of reprisals

aaaah the good old days dad would say when you could arrest someone for swearing at a cop. i remember him lamenting the era where everyone learned about their rights

when i worked at mcdonalds as an acne ridden teenager in the mid 90s cops got free food

pretty much everyone who worked at mcdonald’s then was a pretty big stoner. there must have been a lot of cum and poo poo and saliva in those burgers. ergo, your dad is into scat

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

psiox posted:

if it helps clarify, the way i read/endorse it is

rotor posted:

Forgiveness doesn't cost you a lot and has potentially large returns.
is not just a pro-dad (him) gesture, which can be meaningless, it’s ultimately a pro-child (you) realization, which can be meaningful

trying to help yourself with this kind of thing is a lot harder when your dad is gone and you’re shadowboxing with it, imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I’m not entirely sure how the Renaissance papacy is even the clearest illustration of this, though?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

I’m not entirely sure how the Renaissance papacy is even the clearest illustration of this, though?
lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Dadde chate? Dadde chate!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Kenny Logins posted:

every time we went down when i was a kid my dad would always yell “CHANGE” when feeding the toll and my mom would always punch him in the arm lol

quoting this solid dad humor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my dad went to a sock sale the other day

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

my dad went to a sock sale the other day

my dad is a goldtoe sock man. one time i got him a pair of socks as a joke birthday present, and he made me return and exchange them because they weren't the right kind. owned by dad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

my dad is a goldtoe sock man. one time i got him a pair of socks as a joke birthday present, and he made me return and exchange them because they weren't the right kind. owned by dad.
mmm. good dad

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my dad is very old considering I’m still under 30 and he’s 75. he was born in post war Ireland to poor farmers and former horse thieves and then apparently hosed around for a while before getting into blue collar work with Vauxhall where he made a ton of money.

he used to buy a new sports car every year, had a corvette imported at one point, and flew all over Europe and the US in his own plane (I have no idea how he got the plane past Greenland), then did wild poo poo like visited Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion, stayed in Pakistan and toured China and Japan and the rest of south east Asia for months at a time.

my dad is also autistic,which kind of explains why he didn’t get married until 45 and also why he got good enough at noticing bad poo poo in the line that they moved him to QA which then moved to test engineering. this was in 93 or 94, and it also happened to require a move to Trondheim during the winter for cold weather testing right as his family and my mother’s family were exiting Ireland for the States due to a bombing that happened that I guess was the last straw for everyone except two of my uncles.

anyways my dad will tell stories in great detail but you have to pry them out of him. he wasn’t particularly interested in parenting until he found out his kids were communists 25 years too late. socially he’s very outgoing and I guess followed the grateful dead around for a while in the 70s, but he’ll strike up a conversation with you then flake off mid sentence to wander around, it’s funny once you realise he’s just different. I suspect he did a ton of drugs and partied hard before he got religious but this is solely based on us driving by random spots in Europe and him pointing at a street lamp and say “back in 1965 I puked my brains out right here, it came out me nose”.

nowadays my dad has brain worms and somehow adopted trumpism even tho his family supported the OIRA, who were Marxist Leninist and were frequently called the red IRA.

after my mum died he lost his head and was talking to 25 year olds on dating apps who used him to send stolen iPhones to boko haram and I had to threaten to have custody or whatever that term and since I was 26 at the time, but then I decided to just scare the poo poo out of him on the internet since I figured if he still thought that when I write code “it looks like how it looks in the matrix” and told him a matrix screensaver showed all his personal information in an FBI database so now he doesn’t get into as much trouble online

I love him and he’s probably be cool to talk to about the old days but it’s too difficult since at this point it’s just one liners about afghanis or how he felt so tall in Hong Kong (he’s 5’5)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh I should also note that he lost all his money in the 80s in some kind of get rich quick scheme and had to sell all the fancy toys he had, and this became a theme of my childhood since he would buy these big elaborate expensive things that would then lose money naturally and lose even more money when we had to relocate to Australia for his job lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

he used to buy a new sports car every year, had a corvette imported at one point, and flew all over Europe and the US in his own plane (I have no idea how he got the plane past Greenland),

he might have just had it partially disassembled and shipped over

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

some wild dads in this thread

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’m looking at my dad right now, out in the yard, hitting a power pole with a bit of wood for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

rotor posted:

some wild dads in this thread

you have no idea. one time my dad switched from briefs to boxers (!!!) for about 2 weeks. then he switched back to tighty-whiteys. i know this because dad always roamed the house in his underpants.