Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, you made Marnie even better. I know some people like the 'douchebag rival' trope, but I like the 'friendly rival' better, usually, and the game does a pretty good job with Marnie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Hunter Noventa posted:

Ah, you made Marnie even better. I know some people like the 'douchebag rival' trope, but I like the 'friendly rival' better, usually, and the game does a pretty good job with Marnie.
not sure what spoiler policy is for this LP, so: I like the upcoming 'douchebag rival', because he's a pathetic whiny idiot for most of the game. Hop's a better rival than him because Hop doesn't have a monotype team.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Update 9: The Guiding Light of the Wishing Stars

Budew Drop Inn - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

So this is it… Now my legend really begins! Watch out, Gloria! I’ll beat you to Motostoke Stadium!

Hi Marnie! Bye Marnie! Fight you later!

Wait… How’d you… I… Dammit!

Macro Cosmos Bloke* :… To the Gym Stadium.

We can refuse him, but we’ve got places to be.

Macro Cosmos Bloke : All right, follow close and be careful not to lose sight of me!

For God’s sake, it’s literally the next building over.

Macro Cosmos Bloke : We’ve made it to the stadium entrance! Please hurry to the opening ceremony!

Gym Lobby - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Counter Guy: The opening ceremony marks the beginning of the Gym Challenge… So you know what that means – I’ll need you to get changed as well!

Counter Guy: Wonderful! You look sharp as a pin. And that 815 there… That really is the number for you! Now we’re ready at last for the opening ceremony for this year’s gym challenge!

Kissing up to me won’t earn you any points with Leon, you know…

* “Macro Cosmos” is the name of Rose’s company.

The Gym Challenge - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

I am Rose, Chairman of the Pokémon League! I know that everyone gathered here… And everyone watching at home have all been waiting for this big moment! It is my pleasure to announce that finally – the Galar region Gym Challenge will now begin!

Participants must defeat the eight Gym Leaders… And gather the eight Gym Badges to prove their skills as a Trainer! Only the most worthy will have the honor of challenging the greatest Champion in history! Now, I would like to invite the Gym Leaders to show themselves!

Unfortunately, we are missing one, but… These are the Gym Leaders that we in the Galar region are proud to call our own!

There’s really no words for it but… I can barely contain myself! My heart’s racing!

That was… breathtaking…

Ha! I know, right?!

:vince:

Chairman Rose's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield

So you’re the two Trainers our Champion endorsed himself! Welcome, and it’s a delight to me too! I’m Rose, of course. Oh, and what’s this? I see you both already possess Dynamax Bands! How wonderful! It seems you to have been led here by the guiding light of the Wishing Stars. By the way, it was my wonderful company that invented those Dynamax Bands, you know! I daresay this year’s Gym Challenge is looking to be an absolute blast! Very good – very good indeed! That means a whole Galar region is in for some excitement! The Gym Challenge is an excellent opportunity to show off your Dynamax Pokémon! Now, I’m terribly sorry, but there is some urgent business I need to attend to, so I must be on my way. The best of luck to both of you!

He leaves.

The chairman certainly seems to be in high spirits! Now, listen closely, you too. You both only just started on your path as Trainers. If you want to win, you need to do more than just train your Pokémon. You need to train yourselves, too.

Let’s do it, Gloria! You know the Gym Challenge as a set order that you’ve gotta visit the Gyms in, right?

Yeah. Turffield out West is the first, right?

And to get there, we need to head to Route 3!

Motostoke - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

And we’re free again! But you know what we are actually free to do, right? Get a bit of tutorial just out the door of course :downs: You don’t get a screenshot because it doesn’t deserve it.

If I remember right, Gen 1 had one of the first functional fast travel systems in gaming history, but unlike most such systems it had a direct in-game component. About halfway through it (and its sequels), you acquire an HM called Fly, usually around the time you hit the Gym Leader whose Badge would let you use it. Did I mention the ability to use each HM on the world map was gated behind a specific Gym Leader? The ability to use each HM on the world map was gated behind a specific Gym Leader. Once you have it and talk to a Pokémon, you could have that Pokémon fly you to the Pokémon Center in any city you’d already visited, plus (IIRC) other Pokémon Centers in the wilderness, like, say, just before the Elite Four. This time, since there aren’t any HMs we instead get access to a Flying Taxi which fills the same function. The exact same function. Except this time we have to listen to an MC employee gush for several lines about her CEO first :rolleyes:.

Problem is? All those rail stations? Not only are they functional, they almost always lead to the same places you can catch a lift to. For some reason, the developers decided to pack two separate fast travel systems into the same game. Why?

Okay, now that that part of the tutorial’s over, you know what we are ACTUALLY free to do, right?

SHOPPING!

We are already familiar with boutiques, but that shop on the right is a hairdresser. You can probably guess what they do. I actually only rarely ever got my hair did my first time through the game; most of them look pretty awful when paired with a tam o’ shanter and like hell am I getting rid of it. Speaking of which…

Not too proud of this, but I don’t actually have much money. Not enough trainers in the Wild Area. I’ll buy more once I have some cash under my belt.

Oh! Something fun to note:

It’s nice to see them continuing yet another old Pokémon tradition. Back in Gen 1, you had buy one of these and give them to a security guard to let you past and continue the plot, since the guy was so thirsty he was willing to put his job on the line with an act of blatant corruption to get a bottled water. Saffron City’s finest.

Hello, hello, Gloria! Ready to head out and face the Challenge?

Pretty much. Still a bit foggy from last night, though.

How late were you even up?

Past three, I think. Don’t know for sure.

Bloody hell, Gloria, you never talk to strangers for that long. You never talk to ANYONE for that long.

Yeah, she was – wait, is that problem? Sorry if I…

No, no, there’s no way I could ever hold out for that long. But honestly, what did you even talk about?

Everything! She’s so interesting! She knows all kinds of things about music and weaving and the Munethic – did you know East Cameran is actually called Munethic? – the Munethic language and economics and… And I just realized I didn’t get her number. Oh my God. :cripes:

Shot in the dark: maybe she’s still at the hotel? You could go check… And there she goes.

She isn’t here :negative:.

Other Concierge: Would you happen to be Gloria, by any chance?

That’d be me :sigh:.

Other Concierge: Another young lady left something for you at the desk.

Really?! Let me see!

Other Concierge: I believe this is yours, then.

It’s her League Card… and… :aaa:

Hop!

What?

:glomp: You’re a good friend.

I take it she was there?

No, but she left me her number. I never would’ve even thought to check! Thanks, Hop.

You’re my best friend, Gloria. But I think you owe me something now.

I owe you what?

A battle :getin:

:getin:

Battle! Hop Final - Remix Cover (Pokémon Sword and Shield)

Keep up, mate! This is our chance to see if we are up to the Gym challenge!

Well, I mean, I am, but… He hasn’t even evolved his Grookey yet. It’s the same fight as last time but against slightly stronger Pokémon. Hell, the wild Pokémon just outside the city have higher levels than most of his. My biggest issue in this fight was realizing I didn’t have any type advantages over his Rookidee, something probably not worth fixing. Sorry, mate.

Was that really good training? Looks like it is better keep my guard up! Well, I shouldn’t be too surprised. Just what I’d expect from arrival! You know what? I’ll even give you one of my League Cards! That’s how good I think you did in that battle.

You know, I don’t think I’ve printed any of mine out yet.

You should probably get on that. I’m going to want one for me when I beat you!
Our Gym Challenge starts right now – from here in Motostoke! Although the first Gym Leader will have to challenge is in a town way far off from here… Still, you’d better believe I’m going to keep on winning my way to that Championship Match!

And off he goes. He does have a point though.

I really regret not exploring this feature more my first time through. The facial expressions you can pick from alone are worth the price of admission.

Route 3 - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

And with that, we reach the end of this part of the game and finally embark on our grand adventure. But before we do, it’s time to wrap up for the day. Before we head out into Route 3, I’d like to say that I’m considering catching a Machop, a Mudbray, or a Klink before we reach the next town. I would appreciate anyone telling me why I should or shouldn’t add any of them to the team; additionally, anyone with naming credit can force me to catch and use any of them.

And remember, kids: the more of these nice compliments you pay me, the faster the next update goes up :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Here are two facts:

- We’re getting railroaded a lot even over very short distances.
- Leon is, and I quote, “pants with directions”.

Perhaps these two things are related???

(Twitter link in case this doesn’t embed)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

I would appreciate anyone telling me why I should or shouldn’t add any of them to the team; additionally, anyone with naming credit can force me to catch and use any of them.
One of Mudbray's abilities, Stamina, makes its defense go up one stage every time it gets hit - which, because it's slow and tanky, generally means "before you attack"

it can learn the Body Press TM, which scales off the defense stat. :getin:

Also, the :glomp: convo between Gloria & Hop was cute

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Am I the only person who never realised what Macro Cosmos was within the game until the endgame and you're suddenly expected to know?

The only other place I remember seeing it was when it was referenced in one of the side activities.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Mudbray, cause it's cute. :3:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

AweStriker posted:

Here are two facts:

- We’re getting railroaded a lot even over very short distances.
- Leon is, and I quote, “pants with directions”.

Perhaps these two things are related???

(Twitter link in case this doesn’t embed)

I know it's not the actual Doylian reason for the insane railroading, but I've really liked that bit of logic since I saw it shortly after the game came out. I also think of it as a side effect of the whole extra commodified nature of the gym challenge in Galar. Everything is clearly so much more sporty and turned into an observed spectacle, with the whole thing being directly overseen by the guy who owns a commanding share in most large corporations in Galar... and since there are more eyes and professionalism, it means there has to be a lot more accountability and oversight. The game mostly just skips over the liability waivers.

I also love Mudbray, but Shield is home to one or two other very important ungulates and I do fear it'll end up being a relatively temporary party member considering that. Still, Machop is a bit on the played out side even if it's still reliable, and Klink has this eensy problem of not being very useful until it's fully evolved, which takes ages because it's from Unova, so I'm gonna say Mudbray of the three.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Jadecore posted:

I also love Mudbray, but Shield is home to one or two other very important ungulates and I do fear it'll end up being a relatively temporary party member considering that.
To be fair, if there's any game to have a rotating party in, it's this one. Especially if you use the exp candies

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thirding Mudbray. And I vote on naming it Murphy after a certain famous donkey.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mudbray is cute. It is a horse. Horses are cute, and big, and in a different game Gloria could be riding hers.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Blaziken386 posted:

To be fair, if there's any game to have a rotating party in, it's this one. Especially if you use the exp candies
And yeah, the rotating party is half the fun for me. I always have at least two boxes of 'VIPs' I've shuffled in and out. :3

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I just caught a Mudbray (on Blaziken386’s (Blaziken’s? Blaze’s?) suggestion with stamina), and I forgot just how teeth-clenchingly slow looking for Pokémon with specific traits is. I already like my Mudbray, though, because it nearly mauled a couple of my Pokémon several levels higher than it while I was trying to get it as weak as possible without killing it. That said...

Blaziken386 posted:

not sure what spoiler policy is for this LP, so: I like the upcoming 'douchebag rival', because he's a pathetic whiny idiot for most of the game. Hop's a better rival than him because Hop doesn't have a monotype team.

I put the spoiler policy in the gatdang OP <:mad:>!

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 5, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zaroff posted:

Am I the only person who never realised what Macro Cosmos was within the game until the endgame and you're suddenly expected to know?

The only other place I remember seeing it was when it was referenced in one of the side activities.

I don't think I remembered the name having come up before until it became something worth knowing.

There's a visible gap in the plot in the second act of the game that would probably have established this stuff better.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Mudbray is cute. It is a horse. Horses are cute, and big, and in a different game Gloria could be riding hers.

It's even cuter than that, it's a donkey!
Of course, if we got both a Mudbray and a Klink then we could get our rear end in gear.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Falconier111 posted:

Problem is? All those rail stations? Not only are they functional, they almost always lead to the same places you can catch a lift to. For some reason, the developers decided to pack two separate fast travel systems into the same game. Why?

Because this is Britain and odds are the trains won't be running on time :v: Giant birds are a much better alternative to replacement bus services.

I would've added to the support for Mudbray so I'm glad you got one already. I rode everywhere on my Mudsdale in Alola just because I could. Yeah, it was slower than Tauros or Stoutland, but it felt a lot more epic to be thundering around on a giant horse.

And yes, I support the fan idea that you get railroaded a lot because Leon is utterly brain damaged. I like my Champions competent, thank you.

Incidentally, does anyone have any theories about why the challenge uniforms look like American baseball uniforms and not, say, football kit or something else actually British?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Incidentally, does anyone have any theories about why the challenge uniforms look like American baseball uniforms and not, say, football kit or something else actually British?

I think they’re based on Japanese football uniforms, right down to the side stripes.

Incidentally, Murphy’s a solid name, but does anyone have other suggestions? I’ll be naming it soon and for various reasons the writing has gone faster recently.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Falconier111 posted:

I think they’re based on Japanese football uniforms, right down to the side stripes.

Incidentally, Murphy’s a solid name, but does anyone have other suggestions? I’ll be naming it soon and for various reasons the writing has gone faster recently.

Shire or Clydesdale

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It would be super rude to not use clink after you chose that trainer card background.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

It would be super rude to not use clink after you chose that trainer card background.

I am super rude :colbert:

That said... :sigh: next update, due to how the game is structured and how I structured the LP, I need to talk about Chairman Rose’s economic impact, which means I have to talk about how one man dominates Galatians politics. This is fantastically bad timing (given current events), but delaying talking about it for however long everything takes to shake out will really weaken the narrative. I will say Rose is VERY different from anyone in the news right now and it probably won’t touch on anything uncomfortably familiar, but I can delay it if y’all really don’t want to see it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

We're gonna need to bite that bullet sooner or later, I'm not 100% sure if this is the time to do so, but I think at least getting the idea out is important for seeing where Game Freak is taking the narrative.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Let's just get it out there. It'll have been exhausting to talk about in the current climate for the past several years, and it'll continue to be kinda awkward and real life adjacent to talk about for the foreseeable future. We're all pretty aware, and might as well have the talks that need to happen.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Maybe not the pokemon you had in mind, but I suggest Top Gear for Klink.

(Metal Gear is also acceptable, but less British.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

gomennasorry, it wasn't bolded and I am a simple idiot

but at least I followed it unintentionally

Black Robe posted:

Shire or Clydesdale
I would also like to toss my hat in for Clydesdale

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

While that wasn't me, in my defense, I can't read.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I hadn't heard the story of Murphy before, but having looked it up I don't think we'll do better than naming ours after a war hero who won the RSPCA Purple Cross. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL25365/

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

inflatablefish posted:

I hadn't heard the story of Murphy before, but having looked it up I don't think we'll do better than naming ours after a war hero who won the RSPCA Purple Cross. https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL25365/

...I'll be real, I was pretty sure they were referring to Donkey from the Shrek movies. Who was voiced by Eddie Murphy.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Jadecore posted:

...I'll be real, I was pretty sure they were referring to Donkey from the Shrek movies. Who was voiced by Eddie Murphy.

Well, in honor of both.

Kheldarn posted:

While that wasn't me, in my defense, I can't read.

i have some bad news about this thread

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jadecore posted:

I absolutely was.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 10: A Chance to Shine

Route 3 - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

And we’re back on the road. I know this is completely irrelevant, but I do like how smooth the transition between overworld areas is in this game, in that there isn’t one. The music changes, and the background probably does too – and then you’re done. It works like this in the original games, too. Pokémon Red and Blue were made for the OG Game Boy but came out near the end of its lifespan, meaning it had to be tweaked for its successor console, the Game Boy Color: see, this was a prior era, one where you could use discs or cartridges from up to a couple generations back along that console line without much issue, and when backwards compatibility was just assumed. As far as I can tell, that tweaking consisted entirely of making it so that the screen changed colors every time you entered a new area, while the old Game Boy was practically black-and-white. This was your daily dose of :corsair:

In part, though, I’m resorting to this because I don’t have much else to talk about on this route. I went ahead and caught that Mudbray first thing. We do learn that some parents really are irresponsible enough to let their 10-year-olds wander off into the wilderness.

Didn’t even give me 400 PokeYen. Tragic. We also see a bevy of brand-new, fascinating Pokémon for us to catch that I couldn’t give two shits about. There are hundreds of the things in this game, man. What do you want from me? Oh, I know, you want a Mudbray! A Mudbray that doesn’t have Own Tempo as an ability! Unlike the first three Mudbrays I caught! After hunting them down one by one :shepicide:! And the funny thing is, that’s nothing. Experienced Pokémen in the crowd are probably laughing at my naďveté, but I genuinely forgot just how grinding the process of catching a specific type of Pokémon is. Someday, I’ll talk about Shiny Pokémon and start diving into that rabbit hole. Not that that means I’ll catch one.

Oh! On a lighter note, Abilities. Briefly, every Pokémon comes with a special modifier to their functioning in battle, as chosen at random from 1 to 3 abilities inherent to that type of Pokémon. We’re talking things like “boosts the damage caused by a specific type when under 30% health” or “removes all status conditions when switched out” or “heals when it’s raining” (weather is a thing in this game), all of which I’ve run into before. Since they’re the types of things that have small impacts that build over time in combat, a lot of players shop for Pokémon with specific Abilities before settling in with them to train them up.

Also Quoth hit her next form. Good for her.

On that note, we run into Sonia a little bit down the path.

You looked real ace is out there during the opening ceremony! Oh, but where’s Hop?

He ran off. He does that.

Still can’t sit still, can he? Always trying to catch up. Actually, while you’re here…

Just past Route 3, there’s a mine where they dig up ore. That building over there processes it into energy. In other words, the chairman is responsible for providing the Galar region with its energy, too.

All of it, yes. Mum tried to order one of them home solar panels for the farm a ways back and found the MC logo on the back. You can’t escape them!

We could definitely do worse, though. He could be jacking up prices and such, but he is keeping everything affordable.

“Is” doesn’t mean “will”. And it’s not like everything he does is helpful. Just ask Marnie about the Spikemuth economy…

Wait, Piers’s little sister?

Yes?

That rat bastard?

M-maybe?

We were rivals back in the day and I haven’t heard a peep from him in three years! Honestly. I know I switched over to Rotomphone before him, but it’s not like I didn’t give him my new number. Did I give him my new number?

Just texted Marnie, Marnie says no.

I know you have it, can you relay it?

Already did, she says he’ll call soon.

I – oh, sorry Gloria, I have to take this. Nice talking to you, ta!

But I wasn’t done arguing :saddowns:

At the end of the conversation, Sonia gives us an Escape Rope, an item that lets us escape the dungeon we’re in. Shocker. In fairness, Pokémon dungeons usually function as route extensions with different kinds of Pokémon that you can’t Fly out of, so its role in the game is a little different than that of equivalent items in the much of the genre, even if they are mechanically identical.

You can also fight mailmen in this game. Sorry, “postmen”.

Galar Mines - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Speaking of caves, welcome to the Galar Mine, where people use Pokémon to extract Pokéfossil fuels as part of yet another PokéBritish tradition. As in, there are multiple coal-themed Pokémon you can find/catch here, even though, judging by the background, this mine mostly extracts glowing gemstones. According to the workers, their troops are work Pokémon, not companions or battlers specifically. I can tell the right because I school each and every one without trouble. Lots of rare materials on the ground to pick up and sell, though…

… As well as nightmares. And an even mix of male and female miners! Good on you, Shield, for championing gender equality.

Bede's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Coming this way? I’d advise against it. Any Trainer with a Wishing Star is in for a beating from me and my Pokémon!

Well, well, well, look who it is. We try to give him a wide berth to get to a Pokémon Center, only for a cutscene to kick in.

You. You’re the one that the Champion endorsed. What a joke. You are aware that the chairman is more important than the Champion, right? I was chosen by the chairman himself, so that makes me more amazing than you!

Good Lord, mate, stop a moment and take a deep breath.

I suppose I should prove beyond doubt just how pathetic you are and how strong I am.

Battle! (Bede) - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Welcome to our first battle with a rival that isn’t Hop. Also, in a game with a lot of stellar music he has two of its best tracks. Go listen to them (especially the battle theme). Most major Trainers (especially Gym Leaders) have a theme, a specific elemental type all their Pokémon either share or dovetail with in combat. Isn’t that a terrible idea, you ask, considering type advantages? Absolutely. In past games, your rival (and usually major bosses, like the Team leaders) averted that trend, but while Hop does, the other two rivals don’t. Bede here favors Psychic types, which favor powerful moves that use Special Attack and have very few weaknesses – so few weaknesses, in fact, that Gen 2 introduced two new types (Dark and Steel) in large part to counteract Psychic dominance. I will be using the first of those types against him today.

… I WILL be using the first of those two types, since I forgot to switch out which Pokémon comes first.

I’m giving your Pokémon a little chance to shine. That’s all.

Sorry I gave you that impression, pal. See, L337 is a Dragon type, but he has access to Bite, a powerful Dark-type move (for this point in the game) that messes up all of his Pokémon. This one creature I have used exactly once before this point (against the wild Pokémon) soloed a battle that supposed to be a major roadblock. I’m not kidding when I say this game is easy.

its not like i was trying to beat you or anything, b-baka

Well, that was unexpected. I suppose you’re more able than I thought.

Must say, given the shite you were talking back there, I thought you’d take this loss a little harder.

Shows what you know. The chairman taught me better than that; “failure is an opportunity to succeed more later”.
Naturally, I’ll remember your battle style and strategies now. I’m sure to easily defeat you if and when we face each other in an official match. Now that we’ve established that, I won’t waste anymore time on you.

And the arrogance is back.

I’ve already gathered every Wishing Star in this area.

…Good for you?

Can you take this seriously? I’m demonstrating my superiority.

Honestly, between the battle, attitude and haircut, there isn’t much to feel superior about.

Rose helped me pick this haircut! He said he wore his hair like this when he first got started!

Maybe it worked for someone with a completely different body type, but on you it looks like absolute shite. Gonna copy his paunch to close the distance?

I am going to DESTROY your Pokémon next time we meet, rear end in a top hat :catstare:

:byewhore:

And with that, he just buggers off, letting us out of the mine…

Turffield - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

…And into the outskirts of idyllic Turffield.

PS I’ll rename ‘er Murphy once I hit the Center.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 12, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

And the funny thing is, that’s nothing. Experienced Pokémen in the crowd are probably laughing at my naďveté, but I genuinely forgot just how grinding the process of catching a specific type of Pokémon is.
Hey, at the very least, you're in a pokemon game where 90% of the pokemon appear as overworld encounters, rather than being entirely at the whims of RNG.

Falconier111 posted:

Let’s bite this bullet and give it a good chew right now; if you aren’t reading this in November 2020 (or are militantly opposed to spoilers), just skip ahead until you see our characters’ beautiful faces. We only touch upon it lightly here, but we’ll be dealing with these issues more and more as the LP goes on. Chairman Rose is not Trump, not in the original and especially not here. Both of them are shady businessmen with a great deal of power and plenty of skeletons in their closets. However, Rose’s skeletons are of a very different nature and his goals and means vary in ways I’ll explore in depth as we get deeper into the LP. On the other hand, Rose was a villain in the original and he’s a villain in this; some parallels are inevitable, and if you draw them, you'll probably have grounds to do so. You’ll get no true apologia here.
Of course he's not Trump. He's an idiot in charge of a wealthy tech company with stupid ideas who won't listen to anyone with experience who tells him that his ideas are dogshit, who has a bunch of fans who think he's great despite being demonstrably stupid. He's Elon Musk. :v:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Once you defeat a Pokemon it's slightly more common too, even. I don't know the specifics but it's way, way freaking better than, say, ORAS, where there's a 10% chance to encounter Slugma that you have NO help with.

I'm not salty about recent experiences, no. :shepicide:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LiefKatano posted:

Once you defeat a Pokemon it's slightly more common too, even. I don't know the specifics but it's way, way freaking better than, say, ORAS, where there's a 10% chance to encounter Slugma that you have NO help with.

I'm not salty about recent experiences, no. :shepicide:

I thought ORAS let you have DexNav, where if you've seen a mon once you can set the radar to search for it?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quackles posted:

I thought ORAS let you have DexNav, where if you've seen a mon once you can set the radar to search for it?
Not only that, but doing so basically guaranteed you could get one with decent IVs and an egg move

ORAS was the best for hunting pokemon

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
You have to catch it in order to specifically scan for it.

...I suppose on reflection this isn't actually that similar to the Mudbray scenario, since I was going for a first-time catch instead of a specific ability. Sword and Shield still would've helped with that, but for an entirely different reason and one that's sort-of specific to this situation.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I never saw Rose as all that much of a villain in the typical Pokemon sense of the word. He seemed to be genuinely well intentioned, at least to some extent, and was clearly a few Durant short of a picnic to think his plan was super urgent or particularly useful (the writers really needed to outline his actual motives and obsession more strongly) but it was at least saner than, say, Magma or Aqua, and he wasn't deliberately trying to hurt anyone.

That said, this

Blaziken386 posted:

Of course he's not Trump. He's an idiot in charge of a wealthy tech company with stupid ideas who won't listen to anyone with experience who tells him that his ideas are dogshit, who has a bunch of fans who think he's great despite being demonstrably stupid. He's Elon Musk. :v:

is really accurate.

As for Bede, I liked him a lot more before the Isle of Armor DLC came out, since if you have Shield version Avery does basically his exact character arc but better.

(As for shinies, they're fairly trivial these days. Step one: Play Let's Go and/or Pokemon GO. Step two: collect a silly pile of shinies. Step three: transfer them to Pokemon Home and trade them for the shinies you actually want.)

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Black Robe posted:

I never saw Rose as all that much of a villain in the typical Pokemon sense of the word. He seemed to be genuinely well intentioned, at least to some extent, and was clearly a few Durant short of a picnic to think his plan was super urgent or particularly useful (the writers really needed to outline his actual motives and obsession more strongly) but it was at least saner than, say, Magma or Aqua, and he wasn't deliberately trying to hurt anyone.

That said, this

is really accurate.

I have to agree with all of this, yeah. I think Rose is a character who had potential but was underwritten to the point it's really hard to make concrete statements about him, so most of what he does just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. (I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with him in the LP.) But he never really smacked of Trump to me (or for that matter any comparable unpleasant British figures), I got much more of a "sincere but misguided idiot" than faux-populist grifter feeling from him. I won't say I don't see why you're being wary, and I do appreciate the caution, but I think you're overthinking a bit.

quote:

As for Bede, I liked him a lot more before the Isle of Armor DLC came out, since if you have Shield version Avery does basically his exact character arc but better.

This is still the biggest thing I regret about playing Sword version, I thought Klara was simultaneously more insufferable and less interesting by comparison. Much better battle music, though.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Time for the best video about Bede's theme.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

You bastard, I was going to use that for as the music track for our third fight with Bede <:mad:>

(dont change it though)

Also, I just found the most wonderful document. It turns out Motostoke really is Manchester!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Also, I just found the most wonderful document. It turns out Motostoke really is Manchester!

That's an amazing read, I'm looking forward to seeing more of these places in the LP!