Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey goons, now that OSRS has released clans I'm thinking it would be fun to set up a goon clan to take advantage of that. I got the sense from all the amenities they've already put into the clan hall that they want to do a citadel-type thing in this game eventually.

I made a post about it in the Discord if y'all are interested. My name ingame is cam queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Toshimo, I've got an OSRS OP for the second post here: snip that I put together last winter. Might be a good time to edit it in since we've got clans for OSRS now.

E: Thanks! I made a typo here that should say 'official', otherwise, looks good!

Toshimo posted:

Old School started as a 1x experience rates officially server

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 26, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

The Postman posted:

AnPostman#7961 is not a bot, but definitely an idiot who just started up OSRS for the first time in over a decade.

I dunno if I accidentally left or got purged for inactivity, but if I can get back in I'm back on my OSRS bullshit again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Soulhunter posted:

Toshimo, I've got an OSRS OP for the second post here that I put together last winter. Might be a good time to edit it in since we've got clans for OSRS now.

Done

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

is this game cool yes/no

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

dromal phrenia posted:

is this game cool yes/no

Yes but also no

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
do you like watching numbers go up in direct proportion to how much of you're life is being wasted?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

dromal phrenia posted:

is this game cool yes/no

no

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey, that's only 2.31% of your life since you started playing! :)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Robo Reagan posted:

do you like watching numbers go up in direct proportion to how much of you're life is being wasted?

My feels....

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

oh i read the OP ages ago and I remembered there were two versions but somehow forgot there was a monthly fee till you can afford to buy membership with in-game money. that sucks!

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
I'd like to place a complaint to the manager about the server icon.

Hyedum fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 8, 2021

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I agree, the loop isn't long enough

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Simsmagic posted:

I agree, the loop isn't long enough

Thank you for being so brave.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
postin for that discord auth, name is same as here but #1463 also

KDSet
Mar 28, 2010
i m a stupid newbie ?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

KDSet posted:

i m a stupid newbie ?

Same, honestly

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

KDSet posted:

i m a stupid newbie ?

:hai:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Reviving this dead thread with a Discord request: aofofoaof#0356

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I made an Old school account because I wanted to whittle away some time and I remember enjoying the game a lot as a kid. I stopped playing shortly when it got its first 3d overhaul and switched out for WoW, but now I'm back and it's a real trip. I remember Varrock being a billion miles away and the desert being the scariest place in the world :3:

I was really surprised to see an Ironman mode because I am insanely antisocial and don't like relying on other people so having an option to do everything myself and be rewarded for it is really cool. Still a cute and fun little game.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Hi! I'm Reimu#4336 on discord, haven't played the game in forever, but curious as to what it's like these days what with having a load of free time on my hands for the forseeable future.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I would like to/have already joined the discord but am posting anyways

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I feel like my entire life has been leading up to group ironman osrs.

Nothing quite has the low effort high reward gameplay that ironman does and sharing that with my closest internet fiends will be an amazing experience.

P.S. The goon community for this game is awesome, would recommend. Spy bot free too!

Simon Numbers fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 7, 2021

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Simon Numbers posted:

Nothing quite has the low effort high reward gameplay that ironman does

So uhh am I just doing it wrong then

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Maybe you aren't genetically predisposed to gambling addiction.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

GetDunked posted:

So uhh am I just doing it wrong then

It's okay that your brain isn't broken in the same specific way. You probably enjoy actual life experiences more than watching numbers go up and that's okay, too.

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvAnbXAnsCc

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hello im clicking around this game on my phone and I clicked on the discord link too

wolfs#1602

how do I get area tasks to show up in the little guidance box / mark paths?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You mean area achievement stuff like chop down ten trees while facing west wearing a ranger hat on a Wednesday? You pretty much have to cross reference and use the checkbox on the wiki. You can manually add them to be tracked, but you can't bulk add everything. To do it I think you go to the achievement page, find the task, and there should be a track button

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I have my old account listed in normal Runescape, is it just not able to be translated into Old Runescape?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

thechosenone posted:

I have my old account listed in normal Runescape, is it just not able to be translated into Old Runescape?

OSRS uses separate progression, so while you can log on to the game with the same account you'd be starting fresh. RS3 is the game that would use the character you had, since its the game they've been building for years.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Hmph. My poor guy. Doesn't deserve to be trapped in microtransaction hell. I much prefer stabbing goblins and hawking their brass anyway. Couldn't care less about this 'evolution of combat'

Edit: Wow I have no idea what I was going for here with this post.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 24, 2021

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
As a different question, do we have a particular number we use for team capes? Sorry for the earlier post. I wasn't a fan of the evolution of combat, and I really wasn't a fan of the increased microtransactions.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thechosenone posted:

As a different question, do we have a particular number we use for team capes? Sorry for the earlier post. I wasn't a fan of the evolution of combat, and I really wasn't a fan of the increased microtransactions.

I don't know the answer to this but I really hope it's 69.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

thechosenone posted:

No harm no foul. FWIW, the combat in RS3 is much better than it was when EOC launched, and while the monetization in the game is prominent it's also entirely optional, you wouldn't really be missing out on anything if you choose not to engage with it. And there is a legit good game there that's fun and engaging in its own way.

I don't think we've ever decided on a dedicated number for team capes, but if you're looking to connect with other goons we have clans in both games. There's a link to our discord in the OP where most of us hang out.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Simsmagic posted:

No harm no foul. FWIW, the combat in RS3 is much better than it was when EOC launched, and while the monetization in the game is prominent it's also entirely optional, you wouldn't really be missing out on anything if you choose not to engage with it. And there is a legit good game there that's fun and engaging in its own way.

I don't think we've ever decided on a dedicated number for team capes, but if you're looking to connect with other goons we have clans in both games. There's a link to our discord in the OP where most of us hang out.
Cool on the discord, but I disagree on being able to ignore it. They have notifications galore and its integrated with the interface, and has gameplay consequences that reduce the effectiveness of my ingame play without it. I don't like complicated combat, and every avenue for them to put in more microtransactions compromises the non-microtransaction gameplay.

Even 'Cosmetic' microtransactions adulterate the experience. Leaves a huge gap in visual experience if nothing else, and they take energy from the game they already expect you to be paying a monthly premium to play. If they were ignorable, people would probably not buy them. Voice acting and high fidelity graphics and the like are not worth what they want for them (I actually like the old jank and MIDIs really). Old Runescape just keeps its bullshit to the 'bonds' (absolutely heinous that they have a donation well for those and don't even give the full value out to charity when the drat things cost next to nothing to distribute and they can probably deduct it off their taxes somehow whether they are UK based or not. Just the cheek of not even hiding their profiteering behind SOME sort of obfuscation), which are at least only buying gold from other players, which reduces their inflationary effect to just the difference in farming people do to get money for bonds.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 25, 2021

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

haha yea. anyway, I enjoy runescape.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

thechosenone posted:

Cool on the discord, but I disagree on being able to ignore it. They have notifications galore and its integrated with the interface, and has gameplay consequences that reduce the effectiveness of my ingame play without it. I don't like complicated combat, and every avenue for them to put in more microtransactions compromises the non-microtransaction gameplay.

Even 'Cosmetic' microtransactions adulterate the experience. Leaves a huge gap in visual experience if nothing else, and they take energy from the game they already expect you to be paying a monthly premium to play. If they were ignorable, people would probably not buy them. Voice acting and high fidelity graphics and the like are not worth what they want for them (I actually like the old jank and MIDIs really). Old Runescape just keeps its bullshit to the 'bonds' (absolutely heinous that they have a donation well for those and don't even give the full value out to charity when the drat things cost next to nothing to distribute and they can probably deduct it off their taxes somehow whether they are UK based or not. Just the cheek of not even hiding their profiteering behind SOME sort of obfuscation), which are at least only buying gold from other players, which reduces their inflationary effect to just the difference in farming people do to get money for bonds.

did you know in rs3 character creation there's a button that completely cuts out both their microtransaction poo poo, AND a need to interact with other players? it's called ironman, and it's the only way to play rs3 imo

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Hardcore did seem interesting, but I ultimately decided against it. Combat and item loss aren't exactly balanced for it. Maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea, but it wouldn't address everything the way I want it to (I doubt I even know what I really want, much less how to do it).

Anyway imma poke evil wizards with a green halbard. I won't bother you guys about the weird econ stuff anymore. If I get too sick of it, I'll take a year or two off again. Sorry to bother, and thank you for reading anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

ironman is completely separate from hardcore, the two are independent. i agree hardcore is a very stupid idea when the game isn't balanced around it

also this thread is almost completely dead other than people asking to get in the guild so uhhh i wouldn't worry about "bothering"