Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
surrender now or corrupt in obscurity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My favorite Christmas movies: Christmas Vacation, Die Hard, Elf.

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Nice Guys

I was watching this last week and didn't realize it was a Shane Black movie until about 30 minutes in I paused it, realized the dialogue was very distinct in the style of Shane Black, and was very happy when I confirmed that detail.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why would you put XCOM AND Dark Souls as options in this poll

Why would you hurt me like that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A propos of nothing, I just remembered that Monster Hunter World doesn’t let you skip cutscenes. What a loving mess of a game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Why would you put Bowsette AND Dark Souls as options in this poll

Why would you hurt me like that

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

IIRC Yakuza Kiwami 1 takes place during the holiday szn

Yakuza 5 too

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Jay Rust posted:

A propos of nothing, I just remembered that Monster Hunter World doesn’t let you skip cutscenes. What a loving mess of a game

my favorite example of this kind of arrogance by far is still ffx2 letting you skip the cutscenes ffx never would but penalizing you for doing so

what a brilliant shitpost of design

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

IIRC Yakuza Kiwami 1 takes place during the holiday szn
Don't lots, if not all of them, do? I was playing Kiwami 2 and they had a bunch of Christmas music in the shops and such.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Weedle posted:

i got gran turismo sport on sale and it feels like coming home. the first "serious" racing game i ever played was gran turismo 1 which i loved loved loved. hours and hours in front of the tv grinding out cash for part upgrades and turbocharging the finest economy cars of 1993. getting a 2015 civic out onto the track for the first time in glorious 1080p with sunrays and dynamic reflections and poo poo really dazzled me, then i bumped into an ai driver and they just sort of gently floated away from me with no effect on either vehicle. classic
there's a spectrum of racing game seriousness, where extremely unserious racing games like mario kart, sophisticated damage modelling would just get in the way, and then as the game gets more and more realistic there's an expectation that its also going to have good looking damage, which is where your burnouts and need for speeds and forzas live

and then you are so serious that you know your players are going to be so careful that damage is something they will never see, which is why iracing damage looks so bad and idk if gt sport has it at all

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Don't lots, if not all of them, do? I was playing Kiwami 2 and they had a bunch of Christmas music in the shops and such.

0, 1, 2, 5

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

It was a fun 80 hour game I never want to look at again

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Some day I'm going to make those x-com ufo defense mods I've had thought up. Some day.

Maybe I'll make that my new years resolution, try and actually make progress on modding it since openxcom modding just amounts to replacing/adding files and changing some numbers. Then again, I'm also pretty good at breaking things that are meant to be idiot proof and I'm always so exhausted all the time that a project like that could take an eternity.

Regardless, what I'm trying to say here is that x-com is good and I'm glad that openxcom exists. Sometimes it is nice to have the option of doing something, the potential to do it, even if you aren't sure you'll ever actually do it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

there's a spectrum of racing game seriousness, where extremely unserious racing games like mario kart, sophisticated damage modelling would just get in the way, and then as the game gets more and more realistic there's an expectation that its also going to have good looking damage, which is where your burnouts and need for speeds and forzas live

and then you are so serious that you know your players are going to be so careful that damage is something they will never see, which is why iracing damage looks so bad and idk if gt sport has it at all

they added damage to gran turismo in 5 iirc but it's always been pretty slight. no codemasters-style pulverizations or anything, just scratched/dented bodywork and in certain modes you can also suffer engine and suspension damage from collisions

i always figured iracing looks bad because they've basically been bolting poo poo onto the nascar racing 2003 engine for fifteen years. i don't think anything will ever be as satisfying a racing experience as iracing but the money/time commitment just isn't one i can make anymore. rip :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I guess I speedran it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Merry Gear Solid: Secret Santa and the sequel, Ghosts of Christmas Past

http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/?page_id=297

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought the issue with racing damage was that when you license a bunch of six figure supercars the makers don't want you to show them getting smashed up

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Weedle posted:

they added damage to gran turismo in 5 iirc but it's always been pretty slight. no codemasters-style pulverizations or anything, just scratched/dented bodywork and in certain modes you can also suffer engine and suspension damage from collisions

i always figured iracing looks bad because they've basically been bolting poo poo onto the nascar racing 2003 engine for fifteen years. i don't think anything will ever be as satisfying a racing experience as iracing but the money/time commitment just isn't one i can make anymore. rip :(

A large part of iracing is that everyone has agreed to take it seriously and race in a realistic manner, you're paying for that service as much as you are paying for access to the game. No one else has really done a good system to make sure people aren't being dipshits and shunting you around every turn.

Also you can make iracing look decent enough nowadays, I've seen a fair few screenshots that surprised me with how good it looked, though it make be some sort of shaders type thing going on.

I have 6 months or so left of a subscription, but my wheel has kind of poo poo the bed and I'm not sure if I can really justify spending at least a few hundred dollars for something that I'm not sure I actually love enough to spend that much money on and it's a lovely spot to be in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What sort of sick bastard wants to skip cutscenes on their first playthrough of a game anyway?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

stev posted:

What sort of sick bastard wants to skip cutscenes on their first playthrough of a game anyway?

Anyone playing co-op

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

stev posted:

Monster Hunter World story (and thereby its cutscenes) are trash padding that doesn't need to exist.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

I thought the issue with racing damage was that when you license a bunch of six figure supercars the makers don't want you to show them getting smashed up
there might have been a time that was true but forza has had good damage for years and years. there's definitely a point where they see damage as something that appeals to the cheap seats though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sometimes I get the urge to play through MHW again, it’s an amazing game, but that goes way real fast

There’s no mod for skipping story cutscenes.

There’s a menu option in-game that lets you rewatch cutscenes. Those you CAN cancel and skip. loving backwards

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

why would you play through it from scratch

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

New hard drive

Weedle
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

i think that used to be true but grid came out in 2008 and features an assortment of six-figure supercars that you can plow directly into a guardrail and watch a bunch of poo poo fly off in super slow motion. i guess they convinced the automakers that it's cool

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Sometimes I get the urge to play through MHW again, it’s an amazing game, but that goes way real fast

There’s no mod for skipping story cutscenes.

There’s a menu option in-game that lets you rewatch cutscenes. Those you CAN cancel and skip. loving backwards

I played through it again (at release on PS4, now on PC) because I wanted to benefit from my SSD and get Iceborne and, yeah, the story cutscenes. The load times were my biggest complaint on PS4 but it's been fine on PC.

Fortunately the Defender(?) gear you get for free trivializes all of the LR/HR hunts and you can blow through the base, non-Iceborne story in like, 10 hours.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SDR2 Chapter 1 Investigation

drat this is one gnarly death

Ok first thought, Togami died under the table, he wasn't hidden there. Second thought, that's a hell of a lot of blood, did any of that get on the killer?

Obviously someone hid the knife under the table cause they were planning a murder. Or I guess Togami hid it there as insurance?

Gundam now is not the time to care about accessorising

They made Mikan's upskirt shot an actual Truth Bullet what the gently caress guys :cripes:

Ooh, a bloodstained tablecloth! That's how the killer avoided getting blood all over them.

Ok so the irons being on is because someone wanted to overload the circuits to cause a blackout. And Nagito was the one who made sure he could check the storage room when Togami was missing, perhaps because he knew they were there? Sus! And that would also have let him stash the tablecloth! SUS!

Oh yeah there's still the whole missing skewer thing to think about. So maybe the knife was Togami and then Nagito had the skewer stashed away somewhere

Yep, Mikan confirms skewer was the murder weapon

OH HEY LOOK WHO WAS HANGING OUT BY THE WALL WITH THE LAMP CORD TO USE AS A GUIDE WHEN THE BLACKOUT HAPPENED

I believed this is the moment I say 'gotcha Nagito' :smug:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1333823380877766656

https://twitter.com/Thene_tho/status/1333826953883873288

Okay phew I'm glad there's others who immediately thought about the same thing I did.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
in an ideal world every account on twitter would be about taking cheap shots at david cage

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is rad :unsmith:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

This is rad :unsmith:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I need to show that to my son who is also cool and good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Is my thread title good this time around? It's christmassy and also a reference to conker.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Walla posted:

I need to show that to my son who is also cool and good.

Immediately sent it to my cool and good brother :unsmith:

e: my brother's actually sort of a twerp but it's unrelated to his gender

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Is my thread title good this time around? It's christmassy and also a reference to conker.

I mean it's no Advent Manchildren but it will do just fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is my favorite title on the Citadel

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, gamer t-shirt idea:

“I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I got high!

Picture of Whiterun guard smokin a doobie

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Hey, gamer t-shirt idea:

“I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I got high!

Picture of Whiterun guard smokin a doobie

Frankly speaking, it's very hard to do an Elder Scrolls anti-drug ad, considering how incredibly cool getting fantasy high is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Skooma is the best fantasy drug.