Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
This is very interesting so far. I might just borrow my brother's ps4 to play this on my own as i follow the lp.
Also all those blatant references can't be just red herrings and homages right? Wonder if there is an in-game reason for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, the fact that Takatoshi's story is locked behind Nenji's, who we haven't started yet, should make clear that, yes, we will get the stories of the other six (Nenji, Tomi, Yuki, Keitaro, Ryoko, and Gouto) later on.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Bought the game after reading the first updates here, and it's worth the money entirely to hear Takatoshi talk about his Yakisoba Pan. He just loves it so much. OTP.

I'm halfway done with Juro's story and I'm sure the plot twists are going to stop eventually, right? I mean, they have to run out at some point?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cloacamazing! posted:

Bought the game after reading the first updates here, and it's worth the money entirely to hear Takatoshi talk about his Yakisoba Pan. He just loves it so much. OTP.

I'm halfway done with Juro's story and I'm sure the plot twists are going to stop eventually, right? I mean, they have to run out at some point?

There comes a point at which point most people are pretty much done and you're just playing it out. But there's different levels of twists depending on what's going on.

Without spoilers there's absolutely some things that feel like they could be giant twists that are dropped right near the start of someone's story, and other cases where you can finish someone's story and just say "Huh. Well, OK."

My favourite twist is one that's absolutely inconsequential to the overall story, it's just very funny to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 8: Juro Kurabe 2

Thanks, guys. I wouldn’t normally put my thumb on the scale like that, but this event is just the best way to introduce some stuff.

Music: In The Doldrums (Rikako Watanabe)

Story paths?

Oh jesus, oh gently caress, noooooo!!!!! Nobody told me there would be branching storylines!

Well, it’s actually a lot simpler than you think it is. But we’ll address that in a bit.

Amiguchi’s gone missing again. Bet he’s at the cafeteria. Get ready to head over.

Why not?

Throughout the backdrop of this scene Miwako goes to talk to Tomi, then eventually Iori shows up to join them, then all three leave individually. We won’t really be seeing that conversation in this version of the scene because we’ll be busy chatting with Shiba, but I just felt the need to point that out in case you see them chatting in the background of my shots.

Yup.
Last week’s was a real cliffhanger. I’m dying to know what happens.

After all hell breaks loose, the main character just—

*snicker*

Whoops. This is no time to be reading comics, huh?

Consider Kyuta Shiba

(I saw Shiba-kun in a dream the other day. A pretty creepy one. Something about an android…)

Use Iori Fuyusaka on Kyuta Shiba

I noticed she always leaves during break time.
And? What about it?
I’m just wondering where she goes all the time.
Judging from what the other girls have been saying… She runs off to the nurse’s office to take a nap.
She’s sleeping…?

Poor girl has narcolepsy, geez.

What, you wanna follow her to bed?
(blushing) Come on, quit it!

Use That One Video on Kyuta Shiba

I found a little something else you’ve been wanting to see. You know. That hardcore foreign movie.
Don’t make it sound so creepy. It’s just a sci-fi flick.
*passes Juro the tape* I also taped the next episode of that drama series. The one where the alien runs away to Earth.
Hmm… Is that the one where he teleports from the UFO to the bridge?
(brief surprise) Oh, you’ve seen it already?

I dunno. Maybe I did.

Consider Visitor from Another World

(So he runs away to take refuge on Earth. There’s a famous scene where he teleports onto a bridge.)

Use Shu Amiguchi on Kyuta Shiba

What if we’re annoying him?
Then let him be annoyed. I still get to play his games.
*sigh*

As someone who suspects one of my only friends in middle school only hung out with me because I had Kingdom Hearts 2… too real, anime. Too real.

Use Visitor from Another World on Kyuta Shiba

I totally forgot last week… They were airing UFO Wars on TV!

Consider UFO Wars

(Released in 1977, this was the first in a hit series from the United States. It’s a dramatic sci-fi adventure taking place in a galaxy far, far way. Its popularity holds strong no matter how much time passes.)

It’s only been eight years, Juro. Settle down. I’m sure it’s just a fad. :v:

Use UFO Wars on Kyuta Shiba

Want to borrow it?
Oh, I’m in luck!
The quality’s not that great, though. I recorded it in EP mode.
Geez, get your hands on some better tapes.

If we’re too slow, we’ll lose him.

All right, let’s just get Juro’s bag…

Use Mighty Kaiju Deimos on Kyuta Shiba

They’re showing it at the theater right now. Want to go see it?

I’d rather rent it on video. Then we can watch it on Amiguchi’s big TV. Cheaper, too.

Well, aren’t you a killjoy.

Let’s step out.

They’re always sold out.
I heard there’s a guy who buys shitloads of ‘em.

Ha.

Right, let’s go.

Well, crap. So much for gaming today…

Maybe they’ve seen him somewhere. I know you were eavesdropping earlier. Y’know, Kisaragi and the others. Did they mention him?
I don’t know…

Let’s just go home.

Okay, let’s go home.

Wait, that’s it!? But the percentage didn’t go up… what’s the deal?

Well, I don’t think that really counts as a full update, so let’s head back in.

…And we’re back here! What gives?

Well, the “branches” in this game function a little differently than in other visual novels. This isn’t a Zero Escape scenario, where every individual path splinters off into a new ending. Instead, when you start a character’s chapter, you’re living a “day.” Once you reach an end of a path, in our case the generic no-ending “Daily Life,” the next time you start as that character you’ll be placed back into the same scenario on a different day, with all unlocked keywords available from the start because now your character knows and is aware of more information. The keywords thing is going to be important later for unlocking more paths, but for now it doesn’t matter too much. The relevant thing is that until we’ve seen every available path, we’re going to start from this scene.

Now, Shiba actually pretty much outright told us the thing we need to do to find Amiguchi, but if you actually paid attention to the scene in the cafeteria you noticed someone we didn’t talk to, so we’re going to head back there real quick and take care of that.

Oh, also, if you try to leave without Shiba he gets upset.

Let’s use the other stairway.

The game can be kind of a pain when it makes you remember which staircase leads to the cafeteria, heh.

Well, crap. So much for gaming today…

Let’s go talk to this familiar-looking student over here.

Oh, Juro-kun!
Hi, Minami-san.

What’s up?
Well, uh… You know. About that guy…

Stay over?

About that, um…

If you could let him stay a bit longer, I’d appreciate it. You’re the best!

I’ve gotta go. Let’s talk later, okay?

Nice dodge.

Minami-san, my neighbor. My grandma’s pretty close with her family.
You’re lookin’ pretty close yourself.

Consider Issues at Home

(Ever since that day… My life’s been turned upside down.)

Dinner’s almost ready.

I’m sorry, what the hell are you doing here?

Could you get the chopsticks?

Uhhh, sure?

Consider Chopsticks for Two

(She probably didn’t realize it, but… These are matching chopsticks. Like… for a married couple.

Use Chopsticks for Two on Dinner Table

I need to come up with a way to kick her out.

It’s because you stay up late watching movies every night. You need to get to bed early.

Besides, I can’t fall asleep even if I wanted to.
Oh? Why not?

Me…?

We really shouldn’t be living together like this.
Are you afraid of someone finding out?
Well, that’s… part of it… Anyway, I want you out of here by next month.

You’re pretty insensitive, Juro.

Music: Forty Winks (Rikako Watanabe)

We’re neighbors! Think I don’t know my way around the place? Anyway, I’ve got a favor to ask…

I didn’t know you cooked!

So, uh, what’s this favor you need?

Do you need something from him?

Look at Natsuno’s face here, it rules. She’s having none of it.

This is just… you know…

Oh! Come on in.
Pardon my interruption.

Who are you?

So, um… It’s kinda complicated, but yeah. I need you to let him stay over for a few days.
What?

How do you know Minami-san?

Just let him stay until your granny’s back.

I won’t tell anyone you’re living with a girl.

Blackmail!

The details don’t matter. Just let him stay, all right?

I know Natsuno-san’s intentions are good, but…
……

Why don’t you join us for dinner?
……

Things just keep getting weirder and weirder…

Wah waaaaaaaaaaah

And so concludes this chapter of Juro’s story. But what should we try next?

Our choices for now are:

Juro Kurabe (22% completion)
Ei Sekigahara (14%)
Iori Fuyusaka (14%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (12%)
Destruction (18%)

There's also:

Takatoshi Hijiyama (14%, locked behind Ogata)
Shu Amiguchi (14%, locked behind Destruction)

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 15, 2022

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
This is wonderful to read. I'm mid-way through the game myself; it's one of the few I can play being totally blind, so I won't talk much for fear of spoiling inadvertently, but thanks for lots of entertainment. :)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, since we already saw a bit of Megumi here, I say we go see how Magical Girl Megumi's story is going to go.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I question your choice to show this early because I have to say that it is absolutely hilarious to learn about this halfway through the game.

Yapping Eevee posted:

As someone who's just getting around to watching Mob Psycho 100, that sure is Mob. 'Sekigahara' is a hell of a choice for a surname though, given how most people would think of the battles there first.

I've thought about this more than necessary, and I think an equivalent American name might be "Gettysburg" or something.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 16, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 9: Natsuno Minami 2

Music: Good Times (Azusa Chiba)

This track sounds so much like it belongs in Ace Attorney to me.

Consider Sentinel No. 17

(Sentinel No. 17. Created to fight against the Tripods. It’s also the robot that BJ used to pilot.)

Interesting, BJ used to pilot a Sentinel?

Consider BJ

(His name is BJ. He’s an alien that came from a highly civilized planet. His mission was to protect Earth from other evil aliens.)

You gotta stay quiet if we’re gonna keep you hidden.
Natsuno. Let’s go to the gate.

Sound good?
Natsuno. The gate… Natsuno, let’s go.

Locking you up in here… But I don’t know where else to keep you safe.

Consider Hiding Place

Music: BUDDIES (Azusa Chiba)

But if I left you in my room, my brothers would come in. They’d be able to find you, even if you were hiding.

I’ll help you find what you’re looking for.

Natsuno…

You gotta stay quiet, or those men in black will find you. They really do seem to be everywhere…

Just stay quiet until then, okay?

That means you gotta stay in there.

And as the flashback ends, we return to Natsuno stuffing BJ into her locker.

I’m sorry I have to make you wait. But I’ll be back soon.

Consider Hiding Place

(My room… Gets raided by my little brothers pretty often. Either way, I can’t leave BJ at home. As for the track room, no one goes in there until after school. If I put him in my locker, odds are no one would see him.)

Music: Halcyon Days (Yoshimi Kudo)

Uhh… Um… Why?
You always put it in your locker.
Oh, you saw, huh?
What is it anyways? A clock?

It’s a… It’s a secret.
Oh, I get it. Another silly UFO thingamajig. Whatever. Just put it away before Senpai sees. *leaves*

Sure thing! Thanks for not asking why the track room is trashed!

*sigh*

*sigh*

Consider P. E. Bag

(If BJ is about to be seen by someone… I’ll just hide him in my P.E. bag. Crisis averted!)

What would happen if they found you. You’d end up in Area 51. Dissected on a table…

Use P. E. Bag on BJ

All right, let’s head to the gate.

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Let’s just walk past all casual-like, nothing to see here…

Crap…

……

Natsuno’s on the back foot, let’s see her next play…

And she just loving bolts! A bold move!

Music: High Alert (Yoshimi Kudo)

What do I do?

The man in black approaches, looks up and down the hallway, then turns back.

Let’s head down the other way, see if we can lose him.

Looks like we’ve got no option but to turn back the way we came.

Maybe the first MIB has already left?

Heading back in that direction reveals that nope, he’s still on the prowl.

Suddenly, a classroom door opens as we pass by.

Ogata-kun…
What’s up?

Why’re you in such a rush?
Actually… I’m in a bit of a pickle.

Use Man in Black Suit on Nenji Ogata

What? What’d they do?
Nothing yet… But if they catch us, who knows?

Huh?
Y-You know, that little outfit…
…Outfit? You mean the space suit?

I imagine they’ll search every nook and cranny.

lmao, Ogata you moron

Don’t worry.

You ain’t gettin’ away with this, rear end in a top hat!

Never seen someone go down so easily.

This moment is hilarious but also kind of contradicts what we know about Ogata’s character? He’s apparently got a history with Wajima, but also Hijiyama said that he was a decent fighter after their scuffle. He’s not all talk or some pushover, basically. I choose not to see this as an inconsistency, though, and will reconcile this information by saying he was too horny to fight good. Problem solved!

He came from over there…

Crap, he’s coming.

Only one option left here. Gotta hide!

……

…Yuki-chan?
Good timing. I could really use your help.

We’ve been pursuing a suspicious individual. She’s still in the area, and she’s concealing something.

…Maybe old four-eyes will let me have my way. Fine.

Oh poo poo!

All you have to do is locate her. Leave the capture to us.

There’s… no way… Is Yuki-chan… working with the men in black?

Poor Natsuno. Can’t trust anyone.

But with that, we’ve unlocked a new character’s chapter! We can now play as Yuki Takamiya, the filthy narc she is. What’s the backstory there? Will you find out now, or save it for later? You decide what we do next!

Our choices for now are:

Ei Sekigahara (14%)
Iori Fuyusaka (14%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (0%)
Destruction (18%)

There's also:

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 15, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think Ogata is a good fighter when it comes to brawling with other teens but will lose out against an individual I assume would have been actually trained to fight.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

I think Ogata is a good fighter when it comes to brawling with other teens but will lose out against an individual I assume would have been actually trained to fight.

Didn't Ogata get chumped in every fight so far that it's a running joke?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

I think the only other fight we've seen him in is losing to Hijimaya, who might have some military training. Ogata seemed confident enough to show up alone to take on Wajima and all of his goons so he's probably pretty capable.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

WarpedLichen posted:

You might be confusing him a bit with Wajima, the other 80s greaser who gets chumped effortlessly.

Though honestly Nenji's record isn't that much better. At least we know for a fact he eventually carves through hoards of kaiju like butter, that's something.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ogata's a good enough fighter for a teenager, but that doesn't mean he'd be able to take on a government agent.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the issue here is that Hijiyama called him surprisingly tough while the agent said he was surprised how weak he was, like he was weaker than even an average punk.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I will note that we had a three-way tie in the poll for this last update, to the point where I was panicking and debated just picking one of them myself until it resolved itself.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
As someone who just beat this game, I won't be voting.

Also, game's good

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Just tore through the game too after reading the first few updates.

Obviously won't be posting, but looking forward to reactions/speculation in the thread as well as trying to pick up on little hints I missed the first time through.

Game is very good.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm almost entirely lost and I think it's mostly because I can't remember which characters are new and which ones we've seen before. Plus they can sometimes look a lot different in their blue sentinel interior shot. I'm sure more experience will help though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 10: Yuki Takamiya 1

Music: BUDDIES (Azusa Chiba)

Of course the track room’s all the way in the back.

Target acquired.

Yuki-chan!?
You got tall, Nat-chan.

You’re the one who told me to grow it out. Remember?
That’s right.

I was worried, you know!
Yeah, sorry. A lot of things happened after the move. But I just got transferred here. Today’s my first day.
Really!?
I knew you went to this school, too. Figured I’d find you eventually. It’s good to see your face again. Though I never took you for a track girl.
Hehe. Oh, there’s so many things I want to talk to you about!

Is it just me or did it just get a lot sleazier around here?

Totally!
Keep working hard, Nat-chan.

So you’re finally here.

Ugh, let’s just get right into this then.

I don’t like being called by my name.
But I just heard—

It’s fine if it’s her.
Uh… You remember me, right?

How about the guy you were destined to meet?
More like a random guy I bumped into in the shopping district. Don’t get all weird about it.

I *said* quit calling me that.

Well, well, well. If it isn’t Takamiya of Suzu High. What’re you doing on our turf? Not tryin’ to stake a claim, are ya?
She just transferred here, actually.

Consider Nenji Ogata

(Built up a reputation as a tough guy. All the way back in middle school, actually. Every delinquent around here knows who he is.)

Consider Shu Amiguchi

(Some flirty, rich kid who won’t stop following me around. He seems to be close friends with a gang leader at Sakura.)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(Nat-chan. My childhood friend. We went our separate ways in middle school. But we still kept writing to each other. …She’s the only person I really care about.)

You got the wrong uniform on, sweetheart.

It’s just because that drat four-eyes made a mistake! I mean… Obviously. Don’t wanna go around wearing those girly skirts anyhow.

A transfer at this time of year?
Maybe that’s just how it happened for her.
Or maybe she’s tryin’ to pull some poo poo.

But why’d she come here, of all places?
Why here?

Go on, then.

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

A first-year at Suzugamine Girls’ High School. Entered a boys’ school and engaged multiple delinquents… Twelve of which were sent to the hospital.

Consider Hospitalization

(I went to Nigakuri to settle a score. And somehow the cops managed to sniff me out… One of those dicks must’ve snitched.)

Use Hospitalization on Mysterious Man

Three had bone fractures. The others, just bruises and scrapes.
That’s too bad.
Hm…
Got something to say? They’re the ones who laid their filthy hands on my friend. All I did was give ‘em what they had coming. None of your drat business anyways.

You’re really earning your pay today, aren’t you? Well, go on. Rake me over the coals. See if I care.
That seems like a waste of time for both of us. Allow me to get to the point.

We’d like to work with you.
Seriously?

I’m not gonna be your stooge, and I don’t work with cops. Go find some other sucker.

Currently serving a sentence for the murder of a gang member.

There have been attempts on his life by other inmates. Not surprising, since the man he killed was a gang leader. I imagine it’s a matter of reputation for them. Your father has been assaulted twice, but he is alive. For now.

It would be quite easy to transfer him to a safer facility. Contingent on your cooperation, of course.
God, I hate you already.

Consider Heita Takamiya

(He’s behind bars for stabbing a yakuza. Maybe he’s nothing but a two-bit gangster, but… He’s the only real family I have.)

Are you familiar with Shikishima Industries?

Rockets, planes, trains, ships—even home appliances. Not so publicly, it seems they’re also developing nuclear weapons. We suspect they are colluding with another nation to do so.
And what does that have to do with me?
We began investigating… And found that several minors are connected to these weapons.

And are being rounded up at a school affiliated with Shikishima.

Wait… is he talking about Sentinels?

Consider Weapons and Children

(So they’re using kids to make nuclear weapons? This poo poo sounds ridiculous.)

Consider Shikishima Industries

(Shikishima… It’s that company with all those commercials for TVs and fridges. So they’re making weapons too?

Do you have any questions for me?

Use Shikishima Industries on Mysterious Man

Why don’t you just bust into Shikishima yourselves?
We’d prefer not to have this go public. And the less the police are involved, the better.
Wait. If you’re not the cops, then who the hell are you guys?
We are a special investigations unit. Government-established and affiliated. Some might call us spies. I am director of the SIU. And your superior.

Oh great, another loving SIU director. Joy.

Consider Special Investigations Unit

(That drat four-eyes… He says they’re some spy agency. It’s short for Special Investigations Unit. They may not be cops… But they’re honestly all the same to me.)

Use Weapons and Children on SIU Chief

But what do these kids have to do with it?
I’m glad to see I’ve piqued your interest. Take a look at those documents on the table. It’s a list of their names.

Class 1-B, Iori Fuyusaka. Class 2-A, Renya Gouto. More Class 1… Kisaragi… Kurabe…

But why her?

Oh hey, a new familiar face! How’s it going, Shinonome?

Allow me to introduce you.

She is another undercover investigator. And your superior. Just as she did… You will be transferring to Sakura High School. We’ll handle the paperwork.

I haven’t agreed to any of this poo poo yet.

Yes, she is.
Hey, I’m talkin’ to you!
She doesn’t look like she knows much.

……

Yuki decides she’s had enough of this.

Yeah, that’s what I just said.

……
Do you accept your assignment?

I think it’s safe to say we’re not getting through to her.

It’s her destiny, after all.

*sigh* Where are you, Nat-chan?

What’s going on with Natsuno? Is she not here?

Oh, it’s Megumi! Isn’t she in the same class as Natsuno? Let’s ask her if she knows anything.

Megumi seems to be staring at Juro through the classroom window like a total creep. So, not doing anything important. Let’s bother her!

……

That right?
Yes… Why do you ask?
Well…

Use Natsuno Minami on Class 1-C Student

Oh hey, Juro! What’s up?

Bye, Juro!

Have you heard anything?
The teacher just said she was out sick.
Did they hear from her directly?
I don’t know.
……

And so, having missed Juro leaving, Megumi walks off sadly. Great job, us!

At the same time, Iori is running up to join Miwako. Wonder if they know anything?

Do you need something?

Iori-chan! Any news?

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Stop by Natsuno-chan’s house again?

……

Got a sec?

Talk about Natsuno Minami

Takamiya. But that’s beside the point. I want to know what’s going on with Natsuno. Why hasn’t she been coming to school?
It sounds like she hasn’t been at home either. We went to her house yesterday. But her mom just kept apologizing over the intercom….
The police were there, too.

W-Well, that’s worrying… Thanks for letting me know.

Usami-chan!

It’s okay. Let’s get going.

Consider Cops at the Minami House

(And those cops… Or whatever they are. What were they doing there?)

You remember your orders, don’t you? You’re supposed to keep a low profile.
Hm, I can’t recall…
Maybe you’ve forgotten about your father, too.

Tch.

What?

Use Cops at the Minami House on Ryoko Shinonome

They’re agents with the SIU. In any case, Natsuno Minami isn’t your concern. She’s a part of my assignment. So stay out of my way. Are we clear?

Consider Special Investigations Unit

(…… What could have happened to Nat-chan? I bet that four-eyed bastard has some answers. Time to do what I do best.)

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

I thought I made it clear that you are not to contact me.
I need to know what happened to Natsuno Minami. And I know you have answers.
Teenagers run away from home all the time.
That’s what the police say, but the school insists she’s out sick. Looks like nobody can get their stories straight. So which is it, huh? I’m not an idiot, you know.
Your suspicions are not unfounded. But our investigation is still ongoing. I don’t have a clear answer, myself. We don’t know where she is, or even if she’s still alive. The evidence so far points to kidnapping.
Who the hell would want to kidnap her? Shikishima?
They could have done it without anyone realizing she was gone. There’d be no need to draw such attention to themselves. No, someone else is behind this.
And that’s who Shinonome is looking for?
…… Someone at the school could be behind this. It’s possible they are there even now. In any case, this situation is dangerous. I suggest you keep your nose out of it. Shinonome-kun has this under control. As for you, Takamiya-kun… You will continue to monitor the other students, as instructed. Have I made myself clear?

And so ends Yuki Takamiya’s prologue.

Yuki Takamiya is a “sukeban,” which is a term from the 1970s used to describe delinquent girls. It comes from the words “suke,” an antiquated slang term for referring to women, and “bancho,” a common archetype for a delinquent leader. Basically, she’s a female delinquent. She’s voiced by Laura Post, who voiced Kasumi in Persona 5 Royal, Cynthia in Great Pretender, and Catherine in Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

As for the poll, our choices for now are:

Ei Sekigahara (14%)
Iori Fuyusaka (14%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (14%)
Destruction (18%)

There's also:

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 15, 2022

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Oh wow, she voices Kasumi and Catherine? That's some range she has.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yuki's story couldn't be more of a reference to classic shoujo manga Sukeban Deka, about a sukeban who becomes an undercover investigator, if it tried.

Well, they could have given her a yo yo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yuki's story couldn't be more of a reference to classic shoujo manga Sukeban Deka, about a sukeban who becomes an undercover investigator, if it tried.

Well, they could have given her a yo yo.

and here I thought shoujo manga was all frilly dresses and romance and sweetness, aside from Sailor Moon, because drat Sukeban Deka looks hardcore and violent.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, the last result was a tie. I suppose in this scenario I play the part of the Vice President and cast the tiebreaking vote. That would make you all the Senate, I guess. I don’t know where I was going with this analogy. Probably nowhere funny.

Chapter 11: Ei Sekigahara 2

I have to consider my next moves carefully.

This scene is gorgeous but unfortunately makes it a bit hard to see the character.

Consider From Another World

(So I’m… from another world? I said so in that message to myself. Must’ve still had my memories when I left it. I also said something about a way to escape this world. ……)

Examine Morimura’s Files

(Details about the dead woman I found. Chihiro Morimura, 31. Sakura High School nurse. Sakura High School… Isn’t that where the ID card came from?)

Examine ID Card

(Sakura High School. Class 1-B. Iori Fuyusaka. She definitely looks familiar… But from where? Why can’t I remember?)

Examine ID Card

(Maybe if I find this Fuyusaka person… I’ll finally remember something.)

Music: Sneaking Suspicions (Kikuchi Yukinori)

……

A voice emanates from the communication device buried in Ei’s… coat? Yeah, let’s say it’s from his coat. That thing wouldn’t fit in his pocket. But let’s not answer right away. We’re still examining the tchotchkes in our pockets.

Examine Key

…Now pick up. I’m not your enemy.

Unfortunately, the voice from the radio is going to keep loving talking until we pick up.

Maybe it’s a car key?

In our quest to keep wasting this man’s time, we’re just going to examine this public phone.

An old-fashioned phone…

Use Cryptic Note on Public Phone

*dialing*

……

Fine, let’s answer.

Examine Communication Device

…Don’t be a fool.

There you are. I take it you’ve seen the recording, then?
…! Who are you?
Just a friend who’s trying to help out.
…A friend?
I didn’t expect you to be so… thorough. Regardless, you handled the Morimura assignment well.
So *you’re* the one who wrote those instructions. I… can’t remember anything.
That’s exactly why I’ve contacted you. Listen, it’s not safe out there. Don’t trust anyone.
Anyone? Including you?
Better to be too careful than too careless. Otherwise, you’ll never escape from this world.

In the meantime, just stay put and don’t go far. I’ll see what I can do about your pursuers. You’ll hear from me again soon.

Examine Communication Device

(“Don’t trust anyone,” huh… He mentioned an escape, like I did in that message to myself… Should I really just wait for him to contact me again? …No. He said not to trust anyone, and that includes him.)

Examine ID Card

(Both the victim and the owner of this ID card… They’re from Sakura High School. Maybe this female student knows something I don’t.)

I’ll pay a visit to the school.

Hey, Natsuno! What’s up with your cheek? Got a zit?

No sign of her.

At least, not until we move three feet to the left!

Music: Ennui Vibes (Yoshimi Kudo)

Iori… Fuyusaka.

I couldn’t stop thinking about you. But now…

……

Consider Iori Fuyusaka

(It seems like we’re close. Very close. But… I can’t trust anyone. For now, I’ll act like I remember her. I want to hear what she has to say first.)

Use Iori Fuyusaka on Iori Fuyusaka

Huh?

Like I said before…

…… Even if it is one-sided…

Use ID Card on Iori Fuyusaka

I thought I’d lost it… But I’m glad you were there to find it for me. Thank you…

Use Empty Pill Bottle on Iori Fuyusaka

Pills? No, those aren’t mine.

…Ah, my mistake. These *are* mine.

Smooth, Ei.

What’re they for? Are you sick?
I’m fine. It’s nothing to worry about.

Use Morimura’s Files on Iori Fuyusaka

Huh? Yeah, she is. What about her?

……
Ever since that day… She hasn’t come back to school. Could something have happened?
Which day?

I’m sure she’s fine.

Consider Morimura’s Secret

(Morimura’s secret…)

Uh…

My first class is about to start! What will you do now, Ei-kun?

But those men… Won’t they be on campus, too?
……
Why don’t you meet me here after school’s out? I’ll show you where to go.
…All right.

Consider Morimura’s Secret

(“We must accept our fate.” That’s what Chihiro Morimura said. It’s hazy, but… I think I remember…)

All we need is a big spooky tower and we’re in my least favorite modern Persona game.

Ah, great! This rear end in a top hat’s a time traveler too!?

Music: UNPREDICTABLE (Yoshimi Kudo)

Figured I’d give the area an advanced survey.
Quite the view. Worth taking in one last time.
Right…
I expect there to be considerable damage…
We weren’t prepared for them in Sector 1. There was nothing we could do… But not this time. We *will* fend them off.
I certainly hope so.

That’s six too many!

And we’ve had positive results in our battle simulations.
That won’t mean much if our enemies have evolved. It seems our victory ultimately depends on luck. So let’s assume we’re met with the worst-case scenario. If we fail this time…

What the gently caress is a “loop”????

And we’ll start over from the very beginning. We’ll have a greater chance of success that way.
Even if it means leaving this world behind? …No. No more running away. If we don’t settle this here…

So you intend to close the loop, then? If you do, no one will be able to leave.
At the very least… We’ll survive.

When that time comes… We must accept our fate.
In any case…
Yes… If we win now, we can avoid such an outcome. Then we’ll finally be able to leave this world and—

And frankly, I don’t care. Just as long as you can defend my city from the kaiju. Without retreating, that is.
*You’ll* be the one in the Sentinel protecting the city. We’re counting on you.

I assume you have some questions for me.

So we get a name…

If I keep my end of the bargain…

But I’ll try to be more careful going forward.

Use Promise on Tetsuya Ida

You require third-generation machines, right?
Correct.
Then I’l update their systems, as promised. Though I have to ask… why are you having me do this? Wouldn’t it be faster to go directly through Morimura?

And I’d like it to be done without her knowledge. Depending on how the situation unfolds… There’s a possibility she may resort to drastic measures.
Is that what she was just talking about? This… Operation Aegis?

That’s right.

Consider Operation Aegis

(Close the loop…? What are they talking about? Are they planning on abandoning the city? No… I can’t let that happen. I need more details on this so-called operation.)

Use Operation Aegis on Tetsuya Ida

The enemies’ main target is the underground mainframe. Each terminal is equipped with a self-defense protocol. However, the enemies’ attacks seem to bypass it. So, the moment they strike… We’ll hack the terminal. This will activate the defense protocol. …The Aegis System.
Isn’t that a good thing?

And that means we can never start over again.
What’s so bad about that? It doesn’t matter as long as we succeed, right?

And in the end…

So… that was a lot. To recap, in 2064 Ida got Ei to update the Sentinels so he can control them (to do what????) so he can circumvent Morimura and prevent her from enacting Operation Aegis, which will save the world but also break time. Ei goes along with this because he wants Ida to stop “using” Ryoko (Shinonome, I presume) in some way. Also there was a lot of talk about “loops,” which, what the gently caress?

But that’s as far as we can get with Ei right now! What next?

Iori Fuyusaka (14%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (14%)
Destruction (18%)

There's also:

Ei Sekigahara (28%, locked behind Natsuno)

The poll is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 17, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 12: Iori Fuyusaka 2

Music: Bright Days Ahead (Azusa Chiba)

Just a nice, relaxing walk home through the shopping district in 1985.

So, this scene is structured rather curiously and it’s going to be a nightmare to cover if I don’t properly explain it. It’s pretty interesting, though. See, the words “About that cat…” in the top-left corner? That indicates the current topic of conversation. This entire scene is basically one long, meandering conversation between Miwako and Tomi. It also, true to the real life experience of listening to your friends ramble on, doubles back on old territory often. See, the conversation is circular, and these two will essentially talk in a loop (hey, maybe that’s the “loop” Ida was referring to! :haw:). Depending on what “phase” of the conversation they’re in, it’s possible to get different dialogue from them. If I haven’t explained this well, don’t worry, it’ll make more sense once I get into it. I’ll be showing more-or-less the entire scene, because it’s cool.

So, following Miwako’s “Did you see that, Usami-chan?” is:

It was that kitty again!
I don’t see it. Must’ve taken off already. So many stray cats around here. Maybe someone’s feeding them.
That kitty… Think it’s the same one I saw at school?
I dunno. A lot of cats look like that.
You saw it too, right, Iori-chan? Didn’t it look the same? *does not wait for answer* Oh! It’s over there.
I don’t see it. (loop)

And from there it just repeats from the earlier identical line. Now that we’ve heard the whole thing, let’s talk to Miwako.

You wanted to go to the record store, right?
Yes!
You must really want that new idol group’s album.

He looks a bit like Amiguchi-kun…

Now we’re in “Boys, boys, boys”, which means another looping conversation. It’s worth noting that we can talk to either Miwako or Tomi here, but we can only talk to the one who is currently speaking.

There’s not even one you might like? Being in love is wonderful, Usami-chan. Even just watching from afar… It’s like your heart’s wrapped in a warm blanket.
Maybe, but come on… Have you seen how the guys react when Morimura walks in? Let’s just say they’re not looking at her eyes.

Tomi with the callouts, jeez.

She does have a nice figure… and I can sort of understand. As for guys I like… I think Amiguchi-kun’s handsome.
That guy’s shallower than a cookie pan. You’ve got a strange taste in men, Miwako. That’s mean…
Gouto-senpai’s pretty cute too… He has a lot of secret admirers. Even some of the third-years!
Yeahhh, I’ll pass. Man, all the guys at school suck. (loop)

If we walk over to the right here…

CAT

No, don’t flee!

Scaring away the cat will return us to “About that cat…”.

We simply need to talk to Miwako again to go back to “Boys, boys, boys”.

All right, now that we’re here again, let’s talk to Miwako first (because I had to record this update six times due to audio issues so I know painfully well which route leads to progression (also, yes, I know this is a screenshot LP, that should indicate how bad the audio situation was)).

Use Shu Amiguchi on Miwako Sawatari

I heard he’s not joining the basketball team. What a shame. He’s so good at it.
Back in grade school, he played soccer. But one day, he just… got bored and quit.
You guys knew each other back then?
Yeah, in fourth grade. Nat-chan too. We were in the same class.

Now, let’s talk to Miwako.

I see…

Iori-chan…

Don’t mind me!

Huh?
It’s a love charm. I saw it in a magazine. If you include it in a love letter to your crush… Your wish will come true!
Uh-huh. And what was it last week? Put a photo of your crush inside your pillow?

Now, let’s talk to Tomi.

I’m still hungry.

Good idea. Where should we go?

And now we’re in “Wanna grab food?”, so we’ve got a new conversation loop.

I’d love to go back to that one place…
Their stuff *was* pretty good. At this point we’ve hit up most restaurants in town.
I love getting snacks after school. Somehow, it’s even better than eating them at home.
That’s the magic of high school life! But seriously, I’m starving.
They did make us run a lot in P.E. today. I’d love to go back to that one place… (loop)

Okay, now we talk to Tomi.

It’s a hot day today… Why don’t we get soft serve?
Nahhh. I’d rather have crêpes.
Let’s let Iori-chan decide.

You know the deal, another conversation loop.

I wonder what it tastes like… Don’t you want to try it, Iori-chan?
I can smell the crêpes now… Freshly made! I need it!
The soft serve place just got a new flavor in! (loop)

Choose Soft Serve

Sorry, Tomi, but I’ve got a serious sweet tooth.

So I agree with Miwa-chan!
Yeah, okay.
All right, let’s go!

Rich vanilla, right?
It was either this or chocolate mint.
All right, I’m gonna try it!

Let’s see.

Super sweet!

Soft serve ice cream!

I have no idea what this “lucky item” thing is, and googling is just returning a bunch of Animal Crossing bullshit. I’d call whatever it is stupid, but I don’t want to hurt Miwako’s feelings.

They really are. I can tell!

We’re now technically back in “Wanna grab food?”, but talking to Miwako results in a new dialogue.

We did just eat a lot of sugar…
Iori…

Don’t tell me… You two are taking things to the next level?

And we’re back to “Boys, boys, boys”. We’re all over the place today. We just need to talk to Miwako again, though.

Huh? But… It said my luck for this week is bad…

Use Lucky Item on Miwako Sawatari

Yeah. Just tell him!

Watching from afar is good enough. But I do envy you, Iori-chan. You talk to Amiguchi-kun like it’s no big deal. You two were chatting on lunch break, right? In the passageway.
What about?

Consider Strange Dreams

(They sounded a lot like mine. I wanted to talk to them about it. Maybe we’re all connected.)

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

Oh, Fuyusaka-san.

You weren’t at your desk, so… I thought I’d check outside. Are you waiting for Amiguchi-kun?
Well, trying to.
More dream talk?

But I just want to play games. I thought I’d ask to hang out at his place.

I know we just met here at school, but…

*gasp*
Have we met somewhere before? A long time ago?

Amiguchi-kun…

You guessed it. It was crazy, man.

Oh god, Amiguchi’s one of those assholes who’s just gotta tell you about this craaaaaaaaazy dream they had, yikes. Don’t envy Juro and Iori right now, they’re gonna be here all day.

Walkin’ around, beatin’ up monsters.

You too, right, Kurabe-kun?

I went back in time using the UFO’s transmitter. I have dreams like that all the time. But in my case… I think I’m too easily influenced by movies and stuff.
Why did you come here, anyway? Don’t tell me…

The truth is… I’ve been having weird dreams too. It seems like they might be related, so… I thought I should talk to you guys about it.

You know, the tank with legs? I saw something similar myself.

Use Strange Dreams on Shu Amiguchi

That was you in my dream, Amiguchi-kun.

Music: Staring Into The Void (Yoshimi Kudo)

There’s no Century Tower. This must be before it was built.

Futuristic cars whir by in the foreground as Iori(?) stares out into the distance.

Were Juro and Okino-kun unable to escape?

And I’m all alone. What am I supposed to do?

It’s Sumire Bridge. Did I make it back?

Shu(?) jumps down.

Um…

WHAT THE gently caress

Who are you?

AH CHRIST

To the year 2089…

She asked me to find you on Sumire Bridge 16 years prior… And tell you about our battles. We’ll defeat them this time for sure.

I don’t want to get caught. Let’s get out of here.

Are you just going to leave it here?
Don’t have much choice. Gonna need it eventually. I’ll worry about it later. For now, though… I think it’s best you come with me.

UHHHHHHHH

Oh boy, a package is here for me! I hope it’s more useless loving Nendoroids I don’t need! Or the political science books I ordered! One of those two, surely!

…Oh. Right. This monstrosity, which I now have to lug up two flights of stairs.

Opened it up. Yep, that’s a corkboard all right.

And I’ve got the perfect barren stretch of wall to put it on!

A few days later, I finally get some help and put it up. And with only one catastrophic error in setup that I won’t go into!

Now that it’s all in place, time to get started.

And here’s a look at the early results. Not complete, obviously, but I think it’s coming along nicely. Which, it better have, this all cost me at least one hundred and fifty dollars! I had to buy a printer for this!

Some of you may be asking what the yarn colors mean. Well, no, you’re actually probably first asking me what the gently caress I’m doing, but that’s no fun. The colors I have so far are: Red yarn for strong, important plot connections, orange for weaker connections (Okino and Ei are linked orange here because we don’t know much about why Ei was following Okino, for instance), yellow for strong friendships (despite Natsuno being friends with a lot of the cast, her and Yuki are the only case that really makes sense here for that so far), pink for romantic connections, green for… somewhat tenuous connections, I guess (I really just needed a color for the Juro/Megumi/Miura home situation), and finally black is for two characters who are actually the same character. I’ve also got one solitary little bit of white yarn on the board for Ida’s link to the MIB, because I’m not sure it’s been outright confirmed they’re both part of the SIU, but what the hell else could it be, right?

Again, still a work in progress, but I think this board will really massively creep out anyone who enters this room help us keep things straight. I’ll look into other methods of keeping track of all the juicy plot details, as well. But I can already tell this bulletin board is gonna be completely nuts and I’m looking forward to seeing how it evolves. Like, we’re not even four hours into this poo poo and we’re already finding out Morimura and Ida are actually Iori and Shu, christ! This game is going to be the death of me.

God, it’s like a dreamcatcher that only protects me from sex. I already regret this. But anyway, time to vote!

Iori Fuyusaka (28%)
Megumi Yakushiji (14%)
Natsuno Minami (25%)
Yuki Takamiya (14%)
Destruction (18%)

There's also:

Ei Sekigahara (28%, locked behind Natsuno)

The poll, as always, is here.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 17, 2022

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
That cork board is great.

Also, seems like the link to the poll is busted.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

OOrochi posted:

That cork board is great.

Also, seems like the link to the poll is busted.

Fixed, it's here

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the lucky item is just generic horoscope stuff.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I am all about this conspiracy theory cork board.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope you will be getting more cork boards as the game progresses.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, now I wanna check Shu out, so... I voted Destruction.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
I've mostly been voting based on 14% complete numbers, myself. There are still two storylines we can check out that are at 14%, so I voted for the topmost one. Theoretically, we are going through the plot in a balanced manner.

...Theoretically. I have no idea what to expect at any point in this plot anymore.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I feel like after seeing that I want to just blow up monsters, but who knows what kind of weird plot stuff is hiding in Destruction anyway.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I hope you have five other corkboards prepped to form the inevitable cork-cube that will likely be required to diagram this by the end.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Oh duh, Iori and the nurse do look really similar, on second glance.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

The bulletin board is actually super helpful for me to keep track fo who all these people are, so as far as i’m concerned that’s 150 bucks of your money well spent :D

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

quote:

Who are you?

I just realized that we knew this already. From Shu's first segment:

quote:

Find me, and tell me everything.

I know you’ll find a way—

Ms. Morimura adresses him as Ida, but it didn't mean anything to us because it happened before we met Tetsuya Ida or got his name. This loving game! The same segment mentions (Tomi) Kisaragi and has another name we haven't seen again since, Miyuki Inaba:

quote:

quote:

No. This is no TV show. Shu-kun…

Probably worth keeping track of. (Actually, the name Inaba was mentioned once before this, in Megumi's first segment:

quote:

You watched my Inaba Rabbit video?
Mhm. I never knew you were so talented.
Hehehe… Well, you’re in luck. I’m posting a new one when I get home!

I'm sure this means nothing at all, and the devs just reused a surname for no reason.)

Incidentally, there's an odd omission among the characters I noticed just now. We've met 14 characters piloting Sentinels in the battle sections: Juro Kurabe, Iori Fuyusaka, Renya Gouto, Takatoshi Hijiyama, Tsukasa Okino, Keitaro Miura, Natsuno Minami, Megumi Yakushiji, Tomi Kisaragi, Nenji Ogata, Shu Amiguchi, Yuki Takamiya, Ei Sekigahara, Ryoko Shinonome. All of these have appeared in the story segments except Gouto, and he's been mentioned by other characters a few times. But there's one character from the story segments that hasn't appeared in the battle sections despite obviously being involved somehow: Kyuta Shiba. We know that he's familiar with Okino and somehow involved with maintaining Juro's amnesia:

quote:

He added a forced activation protocol.

Uhhhh…

Well, this’ll be interesting.
Are you…?

I’m gonna need you to forget about this for now.
Shiba-kun…

And yet, he's nowhere to be found in the battle sections so far. What gives?

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
The Inaba Rabbit thing is probably a stretch: Rather than referring to a character named Inaba, that's most likely a reference to the myth of the Hare of Inaba.

This could just be a pileup due to theme naming: "Inaba" is the name of an Old Province in Japan. As is Izumi.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

The Inaba Rabbit thing is probably a stretch: Rather than referring to a character named Inaba, that's most likely a reference to the myth of the Hare of Inaba.

This could just be a pileup due to theme naming: "Inaba" is the name of an Old Province in Japan. As is Izumi.

Oh, that'd explain it. Probably just a coincidence, then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Chapter 13: Destruction 0

I’ve decided we will, in fact, be playing on Intense, because this game is very easy and I want to make it slightly more interesting.

The kaiju are going to try to burrow underground to attack the terminal. If they get that far, then the Sentinels won’t be enough to stop them.
This is the only way we can stop them. We cannot allow even a single one through. If they manage to get past our defense squad, then our battle really will be over. We need to balance our priority between defense and directly neutralizing the invasion force.

You guys just hang back and watch me kick their poo poo in.

But we can predict the kinds of Deimos we’ll be seeing in the oncoming waves. We should probably build our offensive ream based on what we know they’ll be up against.

So, here’s the Team Organization screen, where we pick the pilots who will be on offense. We can have a maximum of six members on offense. Everyone else will be on defense and automatically use their one defensive skill. We should, as mentioned earlier, pick our squad based on the enemy type detailed in this menu. Here, it’s looking like we’ve got a lot of ground-based enemies, so we should prioritize 1st-gen Sentinels for melee. I only pick Ogata, though, because it’s only the first stage and I know I won’t need a second.

As you can see, the team is broken up into the four generations, with 1st-gen being melee, 2nd-gen being all-rounders, 3rd-gen being long-range, and 4th-gen being flight support.

Also, note that Okino is missing from this screen. Interesting.

The starting party looks decent, but I replace Shu with Yuki. Not just for the obvious reasons, but because her Leg Spike will be useful against anything with a lot of HP. From there, I hit “Deploy”.

Oh, there’s Okino. Where are you, buddy?

Don’t “easy there” me, I’m trying to lead the charge…
I just want to go over something before the battle kicks off.

…What, a refit? Right now?
Sort of. This is one of the meta-systems we managed to analyze. Basically, we can use those Meta-Chips you earn in battle. With those, we can make some serious improvements to our armaments, and the Sentinels themselves. You might even be able to make some brand-new armaments on the fly…
That’s amazing, Okino…! Why didn’t you tell me sooner?
Well, I haven’t even tested it yet. I didn’t have a way to confirm it. But hey, no time like the present. So let’s give it a try.
I hope we don’t break it…

Let’s unlock Demolisher Blade for Hijiyama.

And it’s now equipped. As you can see, we only have six slots for “Gear.”

Um… I’m still not sure if I get it…
Yeah, maybe this poo poo will make sense once I actually get to punch somethin’.

Yeah… Let’s get going.

Actually, we’re not going to go just yet. We should review some of the individual details of these Sentinels and upgrade them.

First up, the Meta-System upgrades. From here, we can unlock new Meta-Skills, upgrade the terminal to let us use more Meta-Skills, increase multipliers for our score and Meta-Chips, and increase the level of the Meta-System itself to unlock more gear for each pilot. We can increase the Meta-System Level up to 10.

We’re going to upgrade the Meta-Sytem to level 3.

Sentinel No. 10: Nenji Ogata. First-generation. Defensive Skill: Anti-Ground Multi-Lock Missiles

Starting Gear:
  • Rush Attack (POW 800x4, WT 3s) (A fierce double-fisted barrage. Attacks ground kaiju several times.)
  • Leap Attack (POW 450, WT 3s) (Leaps toward target area and impacts ground kaiju with a shockwave.)
  • Demolisher Blade (POW 80x36, WT 4s, Armor Piercing) (Arm-mounted excavator that slices through ground kaiju in front. Heavy damage. Ignores armor.)
Additional Gear:
  • Anti-Air Defensive Flares (POW 10, WT 4s, Lasts 20s) (Spreads numerous flares in the air, obstructing aerial kaiju and missiles.)
  • Tackle (POW 500, WT 4s, Requires Meta-System Level 2) (Charges toward target area, knocking away ground kaiju in Sentinel’s path.)
  • EMP Attractor (POW 110, WT 3s, Effect 10s, Requires Meta-System Level 2) (An electromagnetic pulse shot halts movement, drops aerial kaiju, and distracts kaiju.)
  • Defense Mode (WT 0s, Effect 20s, Requires Meta-System Level 3) (Shifts into Defense Mode. Move speed drops to 1/3 but durability quadruples.)
  • Limiter Removal (WT 0s, Effect 15s, Requires Meta-System Level 4) (Removes Sentinel limiter. Durability drops to 1/3, but Attack and Speed doubles.)
  • Anti-Ground Multi-Lock Missiles (POW 220x12, WT 6s, Requires Meta-System Level 6) (Unleashes a random barrage of missiles toward ground kaiju within target area.)
  • Hyper Condenser (Passive, increases Demolisher Blade EP cost from 150 to 300, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (A modified condenser extends the Demolisher Blade’s range and number of attacks.)
Nenji is basically the top dog of the 1st-generation pilots, and it’s all thanks to his Hyper Condenser, which turns his Demolisher Blade into a buzzsaw that shreds everything in a 270 degree arc in front of him. He’s got some other decent stuff too, but I tend to stick with stuff like EMP Attractor to bring fliers down to him and Tackle to get take care of enemies while moving. I’ve never used Limiter Removal because the attached risk makes me nervous, but I’ve seen it used to great effect by others. I’ve also never used his Anti-Ground Multi-Lock Missiles, because that just feels like missing the point.

In terms of upgrades for him, we give him Tackle, and then upgrade some of his gear to +2 (the maximum is +8).
  • Rush Attack +2 (Number of Attacks +0 to +1, Setup Movement +0 to +50)
  • Demolisher Blade +2 (Number of Attacks +0 to +4, POW +0 to +6)
  • Tackle +2 (Setup Movement +0 to +120, POW +0 to +80)
“Setup Movement” is how far the Sentinel can move while attacking.

Sentinel No. 12: Takatoshi Hijiyama. First-generation. Defensive Skill: EMP Attractor

Starting Gear:
  • Rush Attack
  • Leap Attack
  • Tackle
Additional Gear:
  • Demolisher Blade
  • Anti-Air Defensive Flares
  • EMP Attractor (Requires Meta-System Level 2)
  • EMP Surrounding (POW 400, WT 3s, Effect 10s, Requires Meta-System Level 3) (A Sentinel-localized electromagnetic field halts movement, drops aerial kaiju, and distracts kaiju.)
  • Defense Mode (Requires Meta-System Level 3)
  • Limiter Removal (Requires Meta-System Level 4)
  • Counter (POW 400, Requires Meta-System Level 5) (When attacked, immediately counterattacks all ground kaiju near the Sentinel.)
  • Composite Ceramic Armor (Passive, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (Immune to attacks dealing 500 damage or less, due to special composite armor.)
Hijiyama isn’t quite as useful as Ogata as a pure damage dealer, but having Counter and Composite Ceramic Armor gives him a powerful niche, especially with EMP Surrounding. He can run into hordes, drop them all, and get out unscathed.

As mentioned earlier, we already gave him Demolisher Blade.
  • Demolisher Blade +1 (Number of Attacks +0 to +2, POW +0 to +3)

Sentinel No. 11: Ei Sekigahara. First-generation. Defensive Skill: Anti-Air Flares

Starting Gear:
  • Rush Attack
  • Demolisher Blade
  • Anti-Air Defensive Flares
Additional Gear:
  • Leap Attack
  • EMP Attractor (Requires Meta-System Level 2)
  • Tackle (Requires Meta-System Level 2)
  • EMP Surrounding (Requires Meta-System Level 3)
  • Limiter Removal (Requires Meta-System Level 4)
  • Forced Cooling Device (Passive, Requires Meta-System Level 4) (WT recovery speed increases by 30% due to a powerful cooling device)
  • Anti-Ground Multi-Lock Missiles) (Requires Meta-System Level 6)
Ei doesn’t have as strong an identity as the other 1st-generation pilots (probably because he lost his), but Forced Cooling Device is really great and means he can take actions incredibly frequently.

Sentinel No. 13: Juro Kurabe. 2nd-generation. Defensive Skill: Multi Rocket Launchers

Starting Gear:
  • Heavy Knuckles (POW 1700x2, WT 5s) (Attacks a ground kaiju 2 times with the Sentinel’s giant fists.)
  • Arm-Mounted Machine Cannons (POW 40x33, WT 7s) (Attacks kaiju within target area in front of the Sentinel with machine cannons.)
  • Multi Rocket Launchers (POW 150x8, WT 7s) (Fires multiple rockets into target area).
Additional Gear:
  • Sentry Gun (HP 3000, POW 900x10, WT 8s) (Places a small railgun at target area. Autofires on kaiju.)
  • Guardian (HP 2000, WT 7s, Requires Meta-System Level 3) (Places a Guardian at target area. Acts as a decoy, distracting kaiju.)
  • Jammer Rocket Launchers (POW 100x2, WT 6s, Effect 15s, Requires Meta-System Level 5) (Fires rockets into target area. Decreases move speed by 25% and durability by 50%.)
  • Anti-Ground Piercing Rocket Launchers (POW 300x4, WT 6s, Armor Piercing, Requires Meta-System Level 5) (Fires piercing rockets at ground kaiju within target area.
  • Guardian Avenger (HP 1500, POW 3000, WT 7s, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (Places a Guardian at target area. Acts as a decoy, and violently explodes when destroyed.)
  • Plasma Arc Fusion Cutter (POW 220x50, WT 8s, Effect 15s, Armor Piercing, Requires Meta-System Level 10) (Welding tool deals heavy damage to a ground kaiju. Ignores armor and slows movement.)
Juro has some really great options here! Jammer Rocket Launchers in particular are really interesting, being weak on their own but also reducing enemy speed and durability. It’s almost a shame the 2nd-gens are mostly just good for Sentry spam!

Also worth noting that 2nd-generation models are versatile but sloooooow, with long wait times after their moves. They tend to hang in the back and not engage the enemy directly, which is why it’s so weird that their big unlock at the end is the loving plasma cutter I’ve never once used because it requires you to get up close.

For Juro, we unlock the Sentry Gun armament and increase its level to +2.
  • Sentry Gun +2 (Lock-on Distance +0 to +60, POW +0 to +100)

Sentinel No. 15: Iori Fuyusaka. 2nd-generation. Defensive Skill: Jammer Rocket Launchers

Starting Gear:
  • Arm-Mounted Machine Cannons
  • Multi Rocket Launchers
  • Sentry Gun
Additional Gear:
  • Heavy Knuckles
  • Guardian (Requires Meta-System Level 3)
  • Repair Emitter (HP 2000, WT 7s, Lasts 8s, Requires Meta-System Level 4) (Places an emitter at target area. Recovers HP of nearby allies, up to a maximum of 40% HP.)
  • Shield Emitter (HP 2000, WT 7s, Lasts 8s, Requires Meta-System Level 4) (Places an emitter at target area. Shields nearby allies)
  • Jammer Rocket Launchers (Requires Meta-System Level 5)
  • Plasma Arc Fusion Cutter (Requires Meta-System Level 10)
Iori is really good at support due to her Repair Emitter and Shield Emitter. She also has Jammer Rocket Launchers to help take down tough foes. But, again, we’re going to be prioritizing Sentry Guns.

Upgrades:
  • Sentry Gun +1 (Lock-on Distance +0 to +30, POW +0 to +50)

Sentinel No. 14: Ryoko Shinonome. 2nd-generation. Defensive Skill: Arm-Mounted Machine Cannons

Starting Gear:
  • Heavy Knuckles
  • Multi Rocket Launchers
  • Guardian
Additional Gear:
  • Arm-Mounted Machine Cannons
  • Sentry Gun
  • Shield Emitter (Requires Meta-System Level 4)
  • Anti-Ground Piercing Rocket Launchers (Requires Meta-System Level 5)
  • Guardian Avenger (Requires Meta-System Level 7)
  • Hyper Condenser (Passive, increases Sentry Gun EP cost from 250 to 400, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (A modified condenser allows for 2 Sentry Guns placed.)
  • Plasma Arc Fusion Cutter (Requires Meta-System Level 10)
Ryoko is really, really good. She lacks Jammer Rocket Launchers, so you might want to back her up with another 2nd-generation pilot, but her Hyper Condenser is amazing and she’s a good balance of Iori’s support and Juro’s attack focus. If you’re confused as to why that Hyper Condenser is so good, the description is a little misleading. It sounds like it lets you put down a second Sentry Gun after you already have one… but no. The cap on number of sentries is honestly absurdly high and I never once hit it. What it actually does is let you place two Sentry Guns at once. It’s great.

Sentinel No. 17: Natsuno Minami. 3rd-generation. Defensive Skill: 6 Multi-Launching Rapid Cannons

Starting Gear:
  • 6 Multi-Launching Rapid Cannons (POW 115x12, WT 6s) (Attacks kaiju within target area in front of the Sentinel with heavy-calibur rounds.)
  • Main Battery Heavy Railgun (POW 1750, WT 6s) (Fires a large round directly forward at high speed, through electromagnetic induction.)
  • EMP Stunner (POW 5, WT 8s, Effect 6s) (A Sentinel-localized electromagnetic field halts movement and drops aerial kaiju.)
Additional Gear:
  • Long-Range Missiles (POW 110x6, WT 6s) (Attacks kaiju within target area with long-range missiles.)
  • Stun Knuckles (POW 800, WT 3s, Effect 10s) (Attacks ground kaiju with fist-mounted electromagnetic battering rams, halting their movement.)
  • Anti-Air Bombardment (POW 120x12, WT 4s, Requires Meta-System Level 2) (Attacks aerial kaiju within target area in front of the Sentinel with anti-air bombardment.)
  • Homing Missile (POW 2000, WT 6s, Requires Meta-System Level 3) (Fires a highly potent homing missile at a target kaiju.)
  • Forced Cooling Device (Requires Meta-System Level 4)
  • Anti-Ground Hunter Missile (POW 2800, WT 8s, Armor Piercing, Requires Meta-System Level 6) (Fires a highly potent anti-ground long-ranged missile. Hits ground kaiju, ignoring armor.)
  • Missile Rain (POW 18x150, WT 6s, Requires Meta-System Level 8) (Rains down countless missiles in a wide area in front of the Sentinel.)
Natsuno lacks Super Large Missile, so she’s unfortunately she’s the least powerful member of the already-situational 3rd-generation pilots. However, that’s not to say she’s not useful. Forced Cooling Device is, again, great, and almost everything she has is useful in some capacity. Except Stun Knuckles. I’ll have to post a gif of Missile Rain at some point, it’s nuts.

For Natsuno, we unlock and equip Long-Range Missiles.

Sentinel No. 19: Keitaro Miura. 3rd-generation. Defensive Skill: Main Battery Heavy Railgun

Starting Gear:
  • 6 Multi-Launching Rapid Cannons
  • Main Battery Heavy Railgun
  • Long-Range Missiles
Additional Gear:
  • Stun Knuckles
  • Anti-Air Bombardment (Requires Meta-System Level 2)
  • EMP Stunner (Requires Meta-System Level 3)
  • Main Battery Mega Railgun (POW 3700, WT 6s, Requires Meta-System Level 4) (Fires a large round directly forward at high speed, through focused electromagnetic induction.)
  • Anti-Ground Hunter Missile (Requires Meta-System Level 6)
  • Missile Rain (Requires Meta-System Level 8)
  • Super Large Missile (POW 5800, WT 12s, Requires Meta-System Level 10) (Fires off a powerful missile at a long distance. Can decimate a wide area.)
First things first: Super Large Missile is the strongest single attack in the game, hitting a huge area for massive damage. Miura has that and Missile Rain, making him a serious force all on his own. His unique skill is Main Battery Mega Railgun, which does absurd damage.

Sentinel No. 16: Tomi Kisaragi. 3rd-generation. Defensive Skill: Long-Range Missiles

Starting Gear:
  • 6 Multi-Launching Rapid Cannons
  • Long-Range Missiles
  • EMP Stunner
Additional Gear:
  • Stun Knuckles
  • Main Battery Heavy Railgun
  • Homing Missile (Requires Meta-System Level 3)
  • Anti-Ground Hunter Missile (Requires Meta-System Level 6)
  • Hyper Condenser (Passive, increases Main Battery Heavy Railgun EP cost from 150 to 250, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (A modified condenser allows for 2 consecutive railgun shots.)
  • Missile Rain (Requires Meta-System Level 8)
  • Super Large Missile (Requires Meta-System Level 10)
Tomi is powerful, but the only thing she can do that Miura can’t is fire off two consecutive railgun shots thanks to her Hyper Condenser… and that Hyper Condenser is the least useful one in the game, unfortunately. The way I tend to use railguns (fire into mass of enemies), I generally don’t have a need to fire a second time, and even if I do, Miura’s Mega Railgun is already over twice as powerful than Tomi’s Heavy Railgun. Super Large Missile continues to be amazing, though.

Sentinel No. 23: Megumi Yakushiji. 4th-generation. Defensive Skill: Repair Drones

Starting Gear:
  • Arm-Mounted Pulse Lasers (Pow 50x16, WT 5s, Armor Piercing) (Fires laser beams at kaiju within target area in front of Sentinel. Ignores armor.)
  • Shield Matrix (WT 6s, Effect 6s) (Places shields on allies within target area, nullifying attacks from kaiju.)
  • Flare Torpedo (POW 50, WT 6s, Lasts 10s, Effect 5s) (Deploys a mine at target area. Upon detecting kaiju, it explodes, overheating them.)
Additional Gear:
  • Multi-Lock Missiles (POW 45x35, WT 4s, Effect 6s) (Fires a random barrage of missiles at kaiju within target area, slowing their movement.)
  • Forced Cooling Device (Requires Meta-System Level 4)
  • Shield Repair (WT 6s, Effect 6s, Requires Meta-System Level 5) (Places a shield and recovers 30% HP of an ally.)
  • Gravity Missiles (WT 6s, Lasts 6s, Requires Meta-System Level 6) (Fires missiles into target area. Gravitic forces pull kaiju towards the impact zone.)
  • Hyper Condenser (Passive, increases Interceptors EP cost from 250 to 400, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (A modified condenser allows for 4 more Interceptor units.)
  • Interceptors (4 Units, HP 100, POW 25x16, WT 7s, Armor Piercing, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (Releases a swarm of drones that autofire on kaiju. Ignores armor.)
Megumi is actually really useful on support! Shield Matrix and Shield Repair are both great for defending, Gravity Missiles to pull enemies to a central location for easy disposal works wonders, and she’s got a Hyper Condenser to increase the number of Interceptors she can spawn at once! She’s even got a Forced Cooling Device!

Interceptors are amazing, by the way. The small damage and HP may make them seem weak, but they’re legitimately kind of crazy.

Sentinel No. 21: Yuki Takamiya. 4th-generation. Defensive Skill: Multi-Lock Missiles

Starting Gear:
  • Arm-Mounted Pulse Lasers
  • Multi-Lock Missiles
  • Leg Spike (POW 900x2, WT 4s, Armor Piercing, Effect 6s)
Additional Gear:
  • Arm-Mounted Convergent Lasers (POW 260 x4, WT 6s, Armor Piercing) (Fires convergent laser beams directly forward from Sentinel. Ignores armor.)
  • Shield Matrix (Requires Meta-System Level 3)
  • Flare Torpedo (Requires Meta-System Level 5)
  • Counter (Passive, Requires Meta-System Level 5)
  • Composite Ceramic Armor (Passive, Requires Meta-System Level 7)
  • Interceptors (Requires Meta-System Level 7)
LEG! SPIKE! LEG! SPIKE! LEG! SPIKE!

But for real though, Leg Spike plus Composite Ceramic Armor makes Yuki an absolute beast.

Upgrades:
  • Leg Spike +2 (POW +0 to +260, Setup Movement +0 to +70)

Sentinel No. 22: Renya Gouto. 4th-generation. Defensive Skill: Arm-Mounted Convergent Lasers

Starting Gear:
  • Flare Torpedo
  • Multi-Lock Missiles
Additional Gear:
  • Arm-Mounted Convergent Lasers
  • Leg Spike (Requires Meta-System Level 2)
  • Shield Matrix (Requires Meta-System Level 3)
  • Gravity Missiles (Requires Meta-System Level 6)
  • Hyper Condenser (Passive, increases Interceptors EP cost from 250 to 400, Requires Meta-System Level 7) (A modified condenser allows for 4 more Interceptor units.)
Gouto and Megumi just have the same Hyper Condenser, but it’s really good so whatever. Gouto’s pretty much just the Interceptors guy. Interceptors all day every day.
  • Multi-Lock Missiles +2 (Number Fired +0 to +6, POW +2 to +4)

Sentinel No. 20: Shu Amiguchi. 4th-generation. Defensive Skill: Shield Matrix

Starting Gear:
  • Multi-Lock Missiles
  • Shield Matrix
Additional Gear:
  • Arm-Mounted Convergent Lasers
  • Leg Spike (Requires Meta-System Level 2)
  • Floating Mine (POW 250x3, WT 5s, Effect 7s, Requires Meta-System Level 4) (Sentinel moves to target area and deploys kaiju-sensitive mines. Overheats kaiju on detonation.)
  • Flare Torpedo (Requires Meta-System Level 5)
  • Shield Matrix (Requires Meta-System Level 6)
Shu’s unique skill is Floating Mine, which I have never once used. Uhhhh… that’s it?

There’s a couple other ways pilots are differentiated. One of them is in skills, which are not unlocked yet because everyone’s at Level 1.

We also can’t access whatever the hell this is yet.

Well, that’s all the preparation we need. Next time, we’ll actually head into the first stage.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 17, 2022