Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
nor a celibate car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
All of my cars are fuckin' cars

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they should just make a car that brakes when you push the brakes, op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
instead of one that breaks when you brake

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
nice one, punchy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

All of my cars are fuckin' cars

do not have sex with your car, sagebrush. I can't believe we're having to go over this again

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Doc Block posted:

hell, just speeding up to pass somebody on the highway is a common example of needing an extra burst of speed for safety
yeah and they inexplicably speed up while you’re in the process.

when im in my infiniti(w/ skyline guts) i just need to nudge the gas and i’m gonna overtake you anyway without much effort unless you’re driving a hellcat demon. smooth and stress free with fountains of wayne on xm radio.

when im in my ancient mx5 im gonna overtake you even though it has 75hp because it weighs 90lbs., less if i’ve just taken a dump. but it’s like the millennium falcon doing the kessel run as i dramatically shift up.

so you really don’t need a bunch of power but you’ll be glad you have it when you do.

being on the right side of power to weight ratio really helps the mazda. i was on the wrong side of it with a pt cruiser for a while and it suuuucked.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Laslow posted:

yeah and they inexplicably speed up while you’re in the process.

when im in my infiniti(w/ skyline guts) i just need to nudge the gas and i’m gonna overtake you anyway without much effort unless you’re driving a hellcat demon. smooth and stress free with fountains of wayne on xm radio.

when im in my ancient mx5 im gonna overtake you even though it has 75hp because it weighs 90lbs., less if i’ve just taken a dump. but it’s like the millennium falcon doing the kessel run as i dramatically shift up.

so you really don’t need a bunch of power but you’ll be glad you have it when you do.

being on the right side of power to weight ratio really helps the mazda. i was on the wrong side of it with a pt cruiser for a while and it suuuucked.

I want to believe this is a real post, but it’s probably a cp from some car meme

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

kitten emergency posted:

hot take, i dont think they're gonna release a fuckin car

"What, like the back of a Lomarf!?
"

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

The Management posted:

I want to believe this is a real post, but it’s probably a cp from some car meme
it is real. they were all repos. who would’ve thought meme car owners are all bad at paying off their notes?

my wife ended up getting a hot pink hayabusa because of this phenomenon.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't think it's the cars he's amazed by

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Laslow posted:

my wife ended up getting a hot pink hayabusa because of this phenomenon.

I’ll get my motorcycle back one day :argh:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

if you're worried about having power when you need it you should get a Tesla. no more response curve and torque or gears to make high speed avoidance a dangerous and unpredictable move in traditional ICE cars.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
do the exact opposite, imo. get a car with a two stroke engine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

President Beep posted:

do the exact opposite, imo. get a car with a two stroke engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

President Beep posted:

I’ll get my motorcycle back one day :argh:
so you’re “NIECIE J”, the name monogrammed to the seat. gj doxxing yourself

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

please, neicie j is my father.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hmmm i like two-stroke engine better than two-pump chump ; i'll insist that my wife's boyfriend call me that instead

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
electric cars are so boring, they should make bespoke wood gas cars instead

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe a modern day ford nucleon, just to keep things interesting

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how likely are full self-driving cars in 5-10 years? I haven't looked at it in awhile and I have a family member who insists it's just around the corner and based on what I know about IoT, 𝕞𝕒𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 and the tech industry in general I'm incredibly sceptical.

also he thinks tesla is good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

crepeface posted:

how likely are full self-driving cars in 5-10 years? I haven't looked at it in awhile and I have a family member who insists it's just around the corner and based on what I know about IoT, 𝕞𝕒𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕘 and the tech industry in general I'm incredibly sceptical.

the batteries of self driving cars will be charged by fusion power plants.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

"Full self driving" in the sense of a car that no longer needs driver's controls because it can go door to door without human input? That will not happen until we invent hard AI.

In 5 to 10 years we might have NHTSA level 3 autonomy (get on the highway and zone out, the car handles everything until it gets confused, at which point it safely pulls over). I do not believe we will have level 4 (get on the highway and go to sleep, car can handle every normal situation until you exit the highway) within the decade.

The current state of the art is level 2: the car can drive itself but requires full-time driver attention, as the car may need the driver to suddenly take over at any moment to avoid a collision.

Tesla uses weasel words to claim their cars are level 3 or 4, depending on how much adderall elon has snorted, but by the NHTSA definition to meet those levels a car must safely and gracefully handle all foreseeable situations without expecting the driver to save it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

just jam an orange into the steering wheel. bam. two levels at least.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

even if you discount tesla, and you should, because they're the absolute worst out of anyone who even pretends to have autonomous features, the state of the art is failing to make unprotected left hand turns in perfect conditions in no weather whatsoever on roads you have mm precision lidar maps of.

no one is anywhere near actual autonomy. the serious players who have been dumping tens of millions into it for the last decade are still only capable of driving in entirely optimal scenarios where nothing unexpected happens and they have extensive mapping data, and even then interacting with actual traffic is questionable. this isn't a "more data" scenario that's going to be solved by just having cars drive circles around a phoenix suburb for another five years.

by comparison, tesla's "autonomy" is a child's toy. it's cruise control and lane keeping connected to a gps and a couple webcams, being allowed to control a one and a half ton vehicle. this also is not something that's going to be solved by having idiots plow into highway gores and firetrucks for the next decade because their model has the intelligence of a fruit fly, and failing to accurately identify objects is only the beginning of their troubles.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

achieving full autonomy with current techniques is very much in the 'trying to go to the moon by climbing higher in the tree' realm, well demonstrated by a lot of the best people being well-funded trying to make it happen for a long time.

a breakthrough is still possible, but i don't think anyone has any idea where to even look for it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the russians used a chauffeur

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

'trying to go to the moon by climbing higher in the tree'

That's such a good metaphor for the current state of things.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I think the trap people fall into is that computer vision and classifiers are pretty amazing now compared to 10-15 years ago.
but it's not obvious that they probably aren't the tools we need to solve this problem.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

jre posted:

I think the trap people fall into is that computer vision and classifiers are pretty amazing now compared to 10-15 years ago.
but it's not obvious that they probably aren't the tools we need to solve this problem.

it's pretty endemic to a lot of gee-whillikers tech. you can do some really cool poo poo in very specific and tailored situations with ML, but making it general purpose is many orders of magnitude more difficult. people read the specific and it gets generalized by disingenuous marketing people and here we are

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

crepeface posted:

they were saying it was around the corner in 2012. the cars we have now are not significantly better than they were back then. i forget who but someone i think from google gave an interview on it essentially saying, 'the first 90-95% of the problem was difficult to solve but doable, that last 5% is basically impossible' and the project was scrapped. as sagebrush said- we won't have full autonomous driving until we have a revolution in artificial intelligence where a computer is able to infer the intent, empathize if you will, of other drivers. right now teslas don't even have object permanence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jre posted:

i'd say they're necessary tools, but they aren't the only necessary tools. driving is an inherently social activity that requires a lot of contextual knowledge to understand and anticipate the environment and drivers around you, and i don't know that we have the ability to quantify that and codify it into a ruleset for a machine

everything we've done so far is hacky abstractions that can certainly look like driving in the right scenarios, the problem is that people forget that and think it means a computer can drive

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

kitten emergency posted:

it's pretty endemic to a lot of gee-whillikers tech. you can do some really cool poo poo in very specific and tailored situations with ML, but making it general purpose is many orders of magnitude more difficult. people read the specific and it gets generalized by disingenuous marketing people and here we are

yeah exactly. when you're dealing with anything regarding ai there's a general rule of thumb you can follow: is it a narrowly defined problem where we already have a massive data set of the correct answer to train the machines on? if yes then it will probably work.

is the problem complicated where the answer in any given situation could be ambiguous? will it require the ai to come up with novel solutions? will it encounter previously unencountered situations? then it's a grift or the people running the project have no idea what they're doing, probably both.

the definition, in my opinion, of intelligence is the ability to encounter a novel situation and piece together two previously unrelated ideas in order to come up with a novel solution. currently such capabilities aren't even on the horizon. they aren't even theoretically possible. until that's a possibility then full autonomous driving will be a pipe dream

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we can have fully autonomous cars today in urban and suburban areas if we are willing to make the following changes:

no human-driven cars are allowed on roads.
the speed limit on non-highway roads is reduced to 30 mph.
all cars are connected to a central traffic management system.

chances of this happening are probably zero.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Management posted:

we can have fully autonomous cars today in urban and suburban areas if we are willing to make the following changes:

tbf this all sounds pretty good though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
modern futurism forgets the older ideals of plentiful mass transit allowing for more beautiful cities. we need fewer blade runners

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

who framed roger rabbit is needed now more than ever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

And once again we're back to trains

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

i could see this happening in cordoned off downtown zones in highly regimented places like singapore. but pretty much nowhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sure, but if you have that level of state control, you'd probably just build more public transit

it's a problem that you will never need to solve assuming you are capable of solving it.