Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

heres my pitch: shield hero but the protagonist is a metal slime. everything else is exactly the same. everyone will love it.

japanese and western kirby box art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

the slime thing is very funny because the same people who thought goblin slayer was an act of antisemitic propaganda are now defending the exact same thing because the shows vibe is cutesier

It owns.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly I'd rather watch Goblin Slayer than slime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dislike it more out of how dumb and contrived the whole situation was. it's a lot of set up to make killing an entire army justified, but then the reason why it was justified was immediately withdrawn and there were no consequences for anyone except the nameless dudes in the army.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Endorph posted:

heres my pitch: shield hero but the protagonist is a metal slime. everything else is exactly the same. everyone will love it.

checks out

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

the slime thing is very funny because the same people who thought goblin slayer was an act of antisemitic propaganda are now defending the exact same thing because the shows vibe is cutesier

If you don't like the manga/show just own up to it instead of posting whatever this is supposed to be.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 6, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Frankly I think the fact slime is a show about how if middle managers were given more power everything would be better is the most deranged aspect of the show

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah, we should ditch the goblin slayer analogy. the slime isekai is GATE for liberals

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Frankly I think the fact slime is a show about how if middle managers were given more power everything would be better is the most deranged aspect of the show

amusingly enough, youjo senki is also a show about a middle manager being given more power, and it shows that it leads to war crimes!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

yeah, we should ditch the goblin slayer analogy. the slime isekai is GATE for liberals

:hai:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Space Flower posted:

Hey, if those 40 thousand romans didn't want to get mowed down by machine gun fire, they shouldn't have thrown spears.
I still liked GATE

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

amusingly enough, youjo senki is also a show about a middle manager being given more power, and it shows that it leads to war crimes!

:hmmyes:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Daedalus1134 posted:

Hey, if those 40 thousand romans didn't want to get mowed down by machine gun fire, they shouldn't have thrown spears.
I still liked GATE
I still really liked GATE as a modern Japan/Fantasy Isekai romp and the interactions those shows entail

What is it with this vehement boycotting of anime for portraying war crimes in fictional settings? Since when was following Sun Tzu tactics (like the element of surprise) a war crime? I really don't get it with this. I just wanna enjoy my Slime anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

What is it with this vehement boycotting of anime for portraying war crimes in fictional settings? Since when was following Sun Tzu tactics (like the element of surprise) a war crime? I really don't get it with this. I just wanna enjoy my Slime anime.
the part of the art of war where he says to kill people even after they surrender

that said this isnt actually vehement boycotting, we're just making fun of slime's weird reputation for being pure and untouched by sin. it is a mildly questionable element but nobody is actually up in arms about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

that said this isnt actually vehement boycotting, we're just making fun of slime's weird reputation for being pure and untouched by sin. it is a mildly questionable element but nobody is actually up in arms about it.
I was reading the mood in here super wrong then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHirl7QRers

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

slime's weird reputation for being pure and untouched by sin

Is this actually a thing or are you just fixating on a handful of posts you saw over a year ago in pursuit of some sort of weird own

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is this actually a thing or are you just fixating on a handful of posts you saw over a year ago in pursuit of some sort of weird own

It happened and was "cringe"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think there was just the one guy who made things weird in the slime thread.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Davincie posted:

But in Tonegawa it leads to a cool card game. I remain undecided on middle managers.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It happened and was "cringe"

ok

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There were multiple people trying to push the narrative that its the only isekai "done right" and that it doesn't have any of the bad parts as some weird culture war pivot against goblin slayer and such. It was extremely lame.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
weird how a lot of early anime isekai involved the use of mechas in them (dunbine, wataru, escaflowne, lamunes)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willo567 posted:

weird how a lot of early anime isekai involved the use of mechas in them (dunbine, wataru, escaflowne, lamunes)

I think it's moreso reflective of how big culturally mecha still was in anime even in the 90s and early 00s.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's because mecha are cooler than inexplicable rpg systems.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I weep that the medium turned its back on totally sweet robots. I would trade every isekai for something new in the mold of Escaflowne or Gurren Lagann.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

rayearth

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i simply ignore the people who are weird about slime

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

how the gently caress did i forget that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Squidster posted:

I weep that the medium turned its back on totally sweet robots. I would trade every isekai for something new in the mold of Escaflowne or Gurren Lagann.

mecha ain't dead, we still get a few new series per year and occasionally they're really good. it's probably stuck as a niche genre forever though at this point, the zoomers don't like it

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I guess this would be a bad time to admit I found that extremely funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

mecha ain't dead, we still get a few new series per year and occasionally they're really good. it's probably stuck as a niche genre forever though at this point, the zoomers don't like it
zoomers like mecha they just think every mecha they like is some unique abberation. the first mecha to talk about peoples FEELINGS, etc

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the first mecha to talk about what if your dad was really hot and went to your school

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Erg posted:

the first mecha to talk about what if your dad was really hot and went to your school

An all girls school

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

zoomers like mecha they just think every mecha they like is some unique abberation. the first mecha to talk about peoples FEELINGS, etc

I don't think those takes are restricted to zoomers, I feel like that's every casual mecha fan I've met

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's sort of like all those people who elevate utena and madoka because they're the only magical girl series they've seen since half an episode of Sailor Moon when they were six

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Personally, I thought things were sketch in the slime anime the moment's the main character's influence started transforming all the assorted fantasy races into more more palateable, marketable, easily perved on versions of themselves

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

I don’t see how killing large groups of invading human soldiers who themselves have genocidal intentions, as invading armies in real life sometimes do is remotely comparable to trying to exterminate every last goblin, who are all dangerous rapists because of arbitrary world-building. At a high level of abstraction, both cases are alike inasmuch as the protagonist is killing large numbers of sentient beings for reasons that are ultimately justified (just like anything else in a work of fiction) because of decisions the author made, but treating them as equivalent seems pretty obtuse. Unless we’re going to call Luke Skywalker a monster because of all the Imperial troops on board the Death Star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
should have just stopped after making the goblins(?) beefy men