Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Prof. Crocodile posted:

byob after dark should have like waves lapping up under the moon while a sexy saxophone lick plays.

that is how dark mode works, right?

It could! Except for the sexy sax.

It'd look like a 2002 graphic design nightmare, but it could!

I was thinking the stanfield, kitty swinging slowly, and more muted colors would be nice. I'll keep working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Nightmode kitty should be black.

And at local sundown/sunup times there should be a short "mornin Ralph. mornin' Sam" type animation where they switch places with little lunchboxes and a punch-clock.

Sig by Heather Papps

Khanstant
I had an idea for alternatives to joke probes for BYOB.

Reverse Probation, where the person HAS to post at least once in BYOB. If they don't post in BYOB, they can just post like normal. If they do post here, we'll be like "nice posts yobbo."

Actually stopping anyone from posting anywhere is too unchill, but having their Avatar changed to hammock kitty for XX minutes and a chill picture in the probe queue is a good toothless alternative.

Stoner Sloth

Prof. Crocodile posted:

byob after dark should have like waves lapping up under the moon while a sexy saxophone lick plays.

that is how dark mode works, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyH_W1tQGBc perhaps?

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Nightmode kitty should be black.

And at local sundown/sunup times there should be a short "mornin Ralph. mornin' Sam" type animation where they switch places with little lunchboxes and a punch-clock.

this too please

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

can we have special costumes for hammock cat on holidays

GATOS Y VATOS

Heather Papps posted:

heather papps is on vacation for 18 more hours
e:

lmao those are great

Goons Are Gifts

hello guys im baaaaaack

The requested tag changes already went through, in fact the new icons you guys made to replace the swastikas are quite popular and multiple other mods have taken them for their subforums, too!! Great job in secretly spreading byob

Everything else new posted here was noted down, so keep it coming!

I'll post a summary of what we have so far later so you can look at what you like or don't like

sk posted:

I'd love this

Goons Are Gifts

So let's see, here's the stuff I have noted down so far, not including the stuff we already did (remove/replace multiple tags) and the big project of a possible nightmode stylesheet. Permanent changes to the current stylesheet are entirely possible though.

Probe images:
/
by HP

by Nosfereefer

Quote texts (instead of "User posted"):

biosterous posted:

"i appreciate that $user posted"

"my rad pal $user said"

Thread tags
to add:

Find more tags that are already available in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952515&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

In terms of permanent stylesheet changes, there were up to debate so far:

vanisher posted:

I wonder if we can do some text in the center of this area

like this

please dont actually do this though

sk posted:

Which is both entirely possible (the latter would require changing the cat manually, which I THINK is not hard to do, but it may be quite some regular effort to put on astral and Jeff)

Then, the last thing, was this idea:

in the index of the SA forum in general. As promised, this was passed up the food chain to our god emperor El Jefe, who had this to say:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think it stands out a little too much personally - compromise and do just the font?
Which I personally think is very fair. If you guys would also be down for the font only, I'll request that instead.

Additional stylesheets/dark mode are currently only possible as hardcoded solutions which are hacky, but as astral posted above, feel free to come up with ideas, a general darkmode for all of SA is coming and we can have our special stylesheet adjusted for that, too!

I hope I covered everything, feel free to add or correct anything! If there's something you don't like and wouldn't like to have, it's entirely fine to disagree and talk about it! It's an open discussion, which is why we didn't request much so far, but mostly collected ideas so everyone can weigh in.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 5, 2021

alnilam

Glutes Are Great posted:

hello guys im baaaaaack

The requested tag changes already went through, in fact the new icons you guys made to replace the swastikas are quite popular and multiple other mods have taken them for their subforums, too!! Great job in secretly spreading byob

Everything else new posted here was noted down, so keep it coming!

I'll post a summary of what we have so far later so you can look at what you like or don't like

I'd love this

I had them all stored up to ask about and you beat me to it :argh:

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

:krad:

I'll go work on the Awful App icons now.

Glutes Are Great posted:

Then, the last thing, was this idea:

in the index of the SA forum in general. As promised, this was passed up the food chain to our god emperor El Jefe, who had this to say:

Which I personally think is very fair. If you guys would also be down for the font only, I'll request that instead.

Yeah, I agree, that's fair.

I'm not ready to give up just yet, though. Let me work up another one that's not quite as audaciously colored and let's see what the reaction is. But I, for one, don't actually care about this really at all, so font-only is cool with me.

biosterous

font only is a reasonable compromise imo

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

cruft

biosterous posted:

font only is a reasonable compromise imo

Okay but we should at least ask if this is acceptable, with the caveat that we get it if the answer is "no".

code:
.forumhome #forums .forum.forum_268 td a,
.forumhome #forums .forum_268 td div,
.forumhome #forums .forum_268 td.title a.forum {
  font-family: "Comic Sans MS","Chalkboard SE","Comic Neue",Roboto,sans-serif;
}
#forums .forum.forum_268 td {
  background-color: hsl(258 25% 85%);
}
#forums .forum.forum_268 td.title {
  background-color: hsl(180 25% 90%);
}
To be honest with you, I'd sort of like to see this muting of the insanity in the BYOB stylesheet too. But one thing at a time.

Goons Are Gifts

I'm happy to request that and see what happens! Based on fairness I personally prefer font-only, simply because other fyad-lites like FYAD, CSPAM, Imp zone or YOSPOS also don't get special treatment, but the font is so on brand for byob that I feel like it earned a place on the index. However, this lighter version is fun, too and it's really not a big thing, so I'm curious to hear what Jeff thinks

Goons Are Gifts

cruft posted:

To be honest with you, I'd sort of like to see this muting of the insanity in the BYOB stylesheet too. But one thing at a time.

If that would be an option, I'd love to have multiple byob stylesheets, maybe even as many as FYAD has, as options for every user to choose. For example, I'd be happy to tone down the general BYOB colors and stylesheet like you did there and have that as the new normal stylesheet, with an option to revert to the old original one for old times' sake, then a third option for darkmode of some sort. Then additionally some seasonal stylesheets that we can set as new normal for a specific season, while always keeping the possibility to switch around for everyone, possibly even including the regular gray setup. Plus 30 more stylesheets of any kind just because we can and we definitely have to outnumber fyad obviously.

That's just me dreaming stupidly over here, I know we cannot expect anything like that from the technical end.

cruft

Glutes Are Great posted:

other fyad-lites like FYAD, CSPAM, Imp zone or YOSPOS also don't get special treatment

:agreed:

Presumably everyone involved understands that nobody in BYOB is screaming for this, and we're all happy with whatever.

Glutes Are Great posted:

If that would be an option, I'd love to have multiple byob stylesheets

Oh, I meant just force muted colors for everyone, across the board, in the One True BYOB Stylesheet.

I'm sure nobody would have any problems with changing the default color scheme :evilbuddy:

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 2, 2021

Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I just think it draws the eyes a bit too much to have one subforum have a different color. It's a fun idea and I like it for individual threads that are byob in nature but live in other forums, like the spaceship, but I think the forum list should stay "plain" as it is. I do think it would be interesting to have larger forum icons that can be more personalized compared to the simple standard backgrounds - screens have gotten much larger but they have not. I think the mod list is also a bit superfluous - the mod list above the forum itself is sufficient and works for subforums as well as top-level forums. I will think about how the forum list looks and see what I can do, but for now, I would like to just do the font.

Thanks gibb3h!

cruft

Yeah I just think it draws the eyes a bit too much to have one subforum have a different color. It's a fun idea and I like it for individual threads that are byob in nature but live in other forums, like the spaceship, but I think the forum list should stay "plain" as it is. I do think it would be interesting to have larger forum icons that can be more personalized compared to the simple standard backgrounds - screens have gotten much larger but they have not. I think the mod list is also a bit superfluous - the mod list above the forum itself is sufficient and works for subforums as well as top-level forums. I will think about how the forum list looks and see what I can do, but for now, I would like to just do the font.

Yep, makes sense. Whatever you prefer is A-OK with BYOB!

Heather Papps

hello friend

jeffrey is a fair king

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Goons Are Gifts

Heather Papps posted:

jeffrey is a fair king

biosterous

i like the king jeff has a sig, it makes him seem like one of us regular folk

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

alnilam

biosterous posted:

i like the king jeff has a sig, it makes him seem like one of us regular folk

it's a good sig

ty manifisto

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

he's no ButtTheShitManFart, but jeffrey's alright

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

vanisher

Look- what if we just don't care about anyone else and always get what we want I think that's pretty fair

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

cruft

New awful.app icons have been merged upstream, which means they will definitely become part of the app at some future date, and we will all be living in a swastika-free posting zone!

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my favorite thing about the awful app is how it turns the hammock kitty thread tag into a little roundel of the cat's face. he looks so happy and satisfied. it makes me feel good, on the inside

Goons Are Gifts

If we ever get customizable forum tags with the proper format, that would be a strong contender to become the general byob forum tag

Also thanks for getting that to the app people!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Thanks Jeff, you are a good egg, as always.

(I actually prefer font only, y'all, my eyeballs get tired sometimes.)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If we can have, eventually, multiple custom stylesheets, I would very much be down to design a minimalist BYOB sheet.

Stoner Sloth

thanks for the explanation, that makes all makes a lot of sense.

also nice sig!

Teddy Thunders posted:

If we can have, eventually, multiple custom stylesheets, I would very much be down to design a minimalist BYOB sheet.

i love the colours and stylesheet we have but i very much like this idea - chill forums should be as easy to access for as many posters as possible and that includes making it easy on the eyes for everyone!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Goons Are Gifts

So in order to get started on the other things already, I have now requested to have the listed tags added to BYOB and we'll try to go with the new probe image HP made, too. I'll keep you guys updated if there's anything to do or fix about (it's also a first timer for me), so I'll see what the admins say.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Glutes Are Great posted:

So in order to get started on the other things already, I have now requested to have the listed tags added to BYOB and we'll try to go with the new probe image HP made, too. I'll keep you guys updated if there's anything to do or fix about (it's also a first timer for me), so I'll see what the admins say.

Feel free to test the probe image on me this coming weekend (lol), I'm studying all weekend and setting up my bombyx farm anyway.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

There should be a TACOS thread tag. For reasons.

Goons Are Gifts

In the mean time!

These are the tags we have right now, without the four new ones that are coming in.
What do you guys think, perfect amount, too many, too few, any you never saw used and think we could or should prune? Do you think we shouldn't prune anything and have as many as the coding allows? Should we remove all except the butt one for obvious reasons?
Tell me what you think about tags!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Glutes Are Great posted:

Tell me what you think about tags!

Tags I do not get the joke for / will never use:

Slayer
Jabroni
Suck My Dick
Red Ants
Mods Knew
Thrad
Nani
Yadon
Oppai
Onii-chan...
Tiger Attack
Gay Agenda
Trout
Sluts
Blaagh!
Box
I'm Gay
Forsooth

And also why do we even offer tags that will get you banned? Seems like gas-lighting the users to me.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Content doublepost!

Awful App versions of new tags (no animated tags in the app!? Objectively inferior platform detected!)

And a candidate for dark-mode cat:

Sig by Heather Papps

astral

And also why do we even offer tags that will get you banned? Seems like gas-lighting the users to me.

What?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Attention, Hot and Ban Me are all labeled as breaking forums rules yet are still options. Why?

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

the autoban thread tags are very funny, at least to me. i've done it to myself by accident at least twice?

also gag i want that cd-i link tag so badly but i feel like if i ask a third time i've broken some unwritten rule and i'll have to clean the latrines or something

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

astral

Attention, Hot and Ban Me are all labeled as breaking forums rules yet are still options. Why?

Sometimes I wonder how much of that was radium or whoever deciding that was the easiest way to implement mod-only thread tags and how much of it was meant to be a test of new users' basic literacy skills, but at this point it's more or less an institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh, well, I guess if it's just ironically bad design choices then okay, I can see it. I just remember learning in like UI 101 that you don't give people options you don't want them to use. I would suggest since other actions ITT have been about purging hateful stuff we've grown out of like swastikas and slurs, maybe this is another example to consider? I just don't see the benefit to setting up ban traps when we're trying to get people to come back here.

Sig by Heather Papps