Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Because this is the first day in three weeks I have not been putting in 10-12 hours of work I just want to spend the whole day reading and talking about Gen-Con, so it is no surprise I am posting here again, just to say that over on the official forums the word is out that May 16 is the deadline to decide whether to roll over your badge to 2022 or attend this year. I know this might be thinking too hard about layers within layers of convolution, but I feel like that means badges cannot possibly go on sale until after May 16, as they will not know the final headcount of people rolling over badges until then? Or maybe that is related to them saying they might release more badges for sale as circumstances change throughout the year, so they will sell like X-thousand before May 16 and then release an additional X-thousand for sale then, related to how many people roll over until 2022?

!?!??!?#*!$&!}qe
osagsdr gh4q

U-S-A!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Because this is the first day in three weeks I have not been putting in 10-12 hours of work I just want to spend the whole day reading and talking about Gen-Con, so it is no surprise I am posting here again, just to say that over on the official forums the word is out that May 16 is the deadline to decide whether to roll over your badge to 2022 or attend this year. I know this might be thinking too hard about layers within layers of convolution, but I feel like that means badges cannot possibly go on sale until after May 16, as they will not know the final headcount of people rolling over badges until then? Or maybe that is related to them saying they might release more badges for sale as circumstances change throughout the year, so they will sell like X-thousand before May 16 and then release an additional X-thousand for sale then, related to how many people roll over until 2022?

!?!??!?#*!$&!}qe
osagsdr gh4q

U-S-A!

Right there with you, focusing on anything not Gen Con related has been pretty tough the past few days. I'm super curious how many people rolled over their badges from 2020. The fact that they've given a badge to everyone who rolled over sort of implies that it wasn't a huge number. The twitch Q&A they did last night included a bit about ongoing negotiations with the hotels for convention space and how difficult it's been to negotiate the date change, so I wonder if a part of the calculation is just figuring out how many ballrooms they'll actually have access to. Regardless I think you're probably right that there will be waves of badges released as contracts come into focus and vaccination progress continues to develop.

Another thing that was interesting in the twitch video last night was discussion of what events might look like. They said several times that events will be very different this year, and they're trying to figure out which events it makes sense to approve. They also said they'd be reaching out to groups and independent GMs that run events to get a survey of how people are feeling. Maybe I'm just riding high on the GEN CON IS HAPPENING vibes, but I think I would be pretty comfortable running RPGs if things continue on the track they're on currently. In 2019 the rooms I played in already had tables relatively spaced out and the tables were big enough that we weren't right on top of each other. I guess other types of events like CCGs and wargaming put you in closer quarters?

They said True Dungeon was on, which kind of surprised me, but I've never done True Dungeon so my conception of it as "basically like a haunted house where they shuffle a line of people through puzzle rooms" may not be very accurate.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Your concept of true dungeon isn't too far off. Except its groups of 10 and then you sit in each puzzle room with that group for 10 minutes to try and solve it. There are 9ften actors in the rooms with the groups so probably less of that this year. I haven't done True Dungeon in a few years now. Once it went over about $50 a run it was not worth it anymore even as a novelty.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I just realized I rolled over my badge because all you had to do to roll over was do nothing, which is my default state. Everything worked out!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pangaea Ultima posted:

Right there with you, focusing on anything not Gen Con related has been pretty tough the past few days. I'm super curious how many people rolled over their badges from 2020. The fact that they've given a badge to everyone who rolled over sort of implies that it wasn't a huge number. The twitch Q&A they did last night included a bit about ongoing negotiations with the hotels for convention space and how difficult it's been to negotiate the date change, so I wonder if a part of the calculation is just figuring out how many ballrooms they'll actually have access to. Regardless I think you're probably right that there will be waves of badges released as contracts come into focus and vaccination progress continues to develop.

Another thing that was interesting in the twitch video last night was discussion of what events might look like. They said several times that events will be very different this year, and they're trying to figure out which events it makes sense to approve. They also said they'd be reaching out to groups and independent GMs that run events to get a survey of how people are feeling. Maybe I'm just riding high on the GEN CON IS HAPPENING vibes, but I think I would be pretty comfortable running RPGs if things continue on the track they're on currently. In 2019 the rooms I played in already had tables relatively spaced out and the tables were big enough that we weren't right on top of each other. I guess other types of events like CCGs and wargaming put you in closer quarters?

They said True Dungeon was on, which kind of surprised me, but I've never done True Dungeon so my conception of it as "basically like a haunted house where they shuffle a line of people through puzzle rooms" may not be very accurate.
I do want to believe that between kind people donating the cost of their badges (I totally would have done that if I had one, particularly as the idea of us still being limited by the pandemic a year later had not occurred to me yet) and people wanting their money back that the number of rollovers is not going to be too huge.

I also had not even thought about how awful the logistics of moving the entire thing must have been, considering everything seems to normally be locked in 3-4 years in advance and here they were dealing with 6 months instead.

I would definitely do an event in 2021 if I were the kind of person who did events anyway; and I guess if the Auction does not happen (I promise I have no insider information on that, other than knowing they have, in fact, made no decisions yet) I might have so much free time that I might as well do some events

And as Nesbit37 covered, True Dungeon is not too much riskier an activity than most others, particularly considering how common it is for everyone in a run to already be friends or even potentially a COVID-19 bubble beforehand, or of course for one or two people to buy out an entire run.

Also I feel like the pandemic was the perfect time for the True Dungeon people to retire, but instead I imagine they will forge ahead on the inexorable path to $500 tickets for a VR simulation of dungeoncrawling so realistic that 15% of entrants die for real.

OgreNoah posted:

I just realized I rolled over my badge because all you had to do to roll over was do nothing, which is my default state. Everything worked out!
Haha, that makes sense. Definitely a good default for them to have set, as I am sure otherwise they would have refunded far more of them.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Virtual True Dungeon is making them a mint. Still overpriced, but virtual is allowing them to run more adventures, different variations, and new special effects.
If they don't continue running virtual in addition to the in person ones i would be shocked.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Truly this is the year of seamlessly merging online and real-life experiences, so yeah, they probably will. It would actually be kind of rude if they did not, considering how there will probably still be tens of thousands of remote participants.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Pangaea Ultima posted:

The first time my buddy and I did True Dungeon, we were placed with a full group who were running the super high difficulty modifier and who played throughout the year. They assured us we'd still have fun and kitted us out with their extra tokens. We didn't have a bad time, but also had no idea what was really going on and didn't contribute to much of anything. The group we were with were certified Good PeopleTM though, because I offered to just give them all my loot tokens since I had no use for them and they told me I had one super rare token and should sell it. I flipped it the next day for like $400 and funded all of my purchases that year.

The next time we did it a few years later with some new friends who wanted to try it, it was kind of a dull experience (due mostly to totally disinterested NPCs) except we were trapped with this bat poo poo insane family who seemed to all hate each other. By the end they were all screaming at each other and it made for some hilarious reminiscing over drinks the rest of the weekend.

So, I guess I'd say both times I did True Dungeon it was very worth it but not in the intended way.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 21, 2021

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Yeah, there are a ton of variables to having a good time in TD and i wish it was just a smidge cheaper. I get that they're a company now and have employees so they need to make money, but i feel like they make a lot of money.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agrias120 posted:

So, I guess I'd say both times I did True Dungeon is was very worth it but not in the intended way.
I have been feeling this way about Gen-Con in general since I got into the Auction and started spending all my time there. All the guys I usually went with were like "you know this is just, like, one of the many things to do here, right"

I think we talked about True Dungeon in 2019 here, and it feels like the only people who unambiguously recommend it are the ones who see it as like an investment/lifestyle (hey I get it, that is the Auction to me), or the ones who did it once and happened to have a great experience with some helpful experienced people on their team. But, I mean, again, that has to be a substantial chunk of their customers, if not a majority, so clearly they are doing lots right over there. I really try not to be too critical of things just because they are not my bag.

Except NASCRAG

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Yeah, there are a ton of variables to having a good time in TD and i wish it was just a smidge cheaper. I get that they're a company now and have employees so they need to make money, but i feel like they make a lot of money.
Edit: I do wonder whether they make a lot of money or if the costs are just astronomical (hence the seemingly-unreasonable ticket cost). Here is a random comparison for you: I was an independent professional wrestler for a few years, and I remember once our shows started actually getting "popular" and we would get like 200+ paid attendees, a few of the guys started saying "so uh, is this going to be reflected in our compensation?" and it turned out that the promoter, like 90% of wrestling promoters, had already gotten himself into nearly insurmountable debt in the process of getting to the point where we could actually draw a decent paying crowd. I do wonder if that same thing is happening with True Dungeon (though I bet they are handling their finances a bit better)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 21, 2021

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

I have nothing to say about anything you've said recently except that you have the best redtext I have ever seen on this website and if I were you I'd be proud to bear it

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
TD makes a ton of their money off of token sales. I chased tokens for 1 year when I thought I would try and make TD my new Gen Con thing (it didn't stick) and I spent way more than I should have on tokens and got barely anything compared to the regular players. These people were dropping thousands on tokens each year to get the sets and the free ultra rares you get for spending X amount on tokens. I wouldn't be surprised if they made more on tokens than they do on the cons.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I have nothing to say about anything you've said recently except that you have the best redtext I have ever seen on this website and if I were you I'd be proud to bear it
I appreciate that. It was Fellis' doing, and I truly wear it with Scarlet Letter Pride. Who am I to argue with the truth?

Though I imagine now that you have drawn attention to it he will update it for 2021

nesbit37 posted:

TD makes a ton of their money off of token sales. I chased tokens for 1 year when I thought I would try and make TD my new Gen Con thing (it didn't stick) and I spent way more than I should have on tokens and got barely anything compared to the regular players. These people were dropping thousands on tokens each year to get the sets and the free ultra rares you get for spending X amount on tokens. I wouldn't be surprised if they made more on tokens than they do on the cons.
This reminds me of how every time someone sold True Dungeon tokens in the Auction, the bidding would immediately go into the hundreds, like it was just obvious they would be worth that much no matter what was in the collection (and they probably were I suppose). I am glad instead of chasing tokens you ended up chasing bees and dogs.

I did forget you can buy tokens directly, and yeah, I have no doubt that is a huge moneymaker for them. I want to make fun of people who care this much about it, but on some level me actively wanting to spend money on Magic cards once upon a time is a very similar impulse. Particularly since I imagine tokens from one convention are viable anywhere True Dungeon happens, and that there absolutely must be people who True Dungeon every time it runs anywhere in the country

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was an independent professional wrestler for a few years

I think we need more information and stories about this little fact

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Uh yeah this is also the Dr Quarex Deathmatch Zone now.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

darkspider42 posted:

This and

Or huck pics in discord at least, can understand not wanting to post em

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

This reminds me of how every time someone sold True Dungeon tokens in the Auction, the bidding would immediately go into the hundreds, like it was just obvious they would be worth that much no matter what was in the collection (and they probably were I suppose). I am glad instead of chasing tokens you ended up chasing bees and dogs.

I did forget you can buy tokens directly, and yeah, I have no doubt that is a huge moneymaker for them. I want to make fun of people who care this much about it, but on some level me actively wanting to spend money on Magic cards once upon a time is a very similar impulse. Particularly since I imagine tokens from one convention are viable anywhere True Dungeon happens, and that there absolutely must be people who True Dungeon every time it runs anywhere in the country

It's pretty smart how they have it set up, and it gives the ultra rare tokens an instant minimum value and the prices just go up from there. For every $250 worth of token packs you buy from True Dungeon you get one ultra rare of your choice for free from those available that year. With that in mind, it pretty much sets the base price of any ultra rare at $250 and then they just jump when they go out of print at the end of the year. The year I decided to try to be semi-serious at TD I dropped something like $1k on tokens to get 4 ultra rares and then spent more to buy seperate tokens from players to build my character. The money sink the game was became apparent quick, and then after I played a few rounds at either Gen Con or Gamehole Con that year I just decided it was fun but worth the money or effort for something that just sucks up precious con time I could be using for other things. Maybe if I had a group to run with I would have thought differently but I doubt it. There is already too much to do at Gen Con as it is, especially now that I run a booth.

Speaking of, I really miss my time at the auction. Especially since I just inventoried and appraised my entire RPG and board game collection for insurance purchases. The holes in my collection are now glaring and they demand to be filled. The Gen Con auction is one of the best places to do that for the types of things I am missing. I mean, there is always ebay but not only are things typically triple the price you can get them at Gen Con you have to be extra careful not to accidently buy some print on demand reprint people are trying to trick you into buying online.

Right now I think I will not be exhibiting at Gen Con this year and if I can get a badge somehow (its up in the air if they'll let me buy one or not if I push my booth to next year) I think I'll be sure to spend some time in the auction. Just need to figure out the schedule so I don't schedule myself to run demos or play games during the TSR sections of the auction.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

darkspider42 posted:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Uh yeah this is also the Dr Quarex Deathmatch Zone now.

Fellis posted:

This and

Or huck pics in discord at least, can understand not wanting to post em
I will give you this to sum up the experience (even people who only know me from my posting can probably guess which of the two people I am in this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L77jrO1re_Q

When I am not waiting to start my shift at the vaccination center and have easier access to my thangz I will find some more pictures. But the long story short version is that every dumb wrestling fan in the late 1990s suddenly contemplated doing it themselves, and I had the...... Good? fortune to know people who had already put together a stupid backyard federation, and then at our first show (mattresses and rope around pillars!) a guy who literally happened to have built his own ring as a passion project was in the crowd (the guy we later learned had basically bankrupted himself over the whole thing), and the rest was confusing history.

I was, unsurprisingly, the largest guy we had, so I had our big title for about six months despite having wrestled like two matches. Also let me stress most of us had no business in the ring, as we averaged a few days' training (though two of our guys did a few jobs on NWA:TNA in the early 2000s, and one of those also wrestled Road Warrior Animal, meaning by the transitive property I am Hulk Hogan).

OH no, more later, I AM UP HERE WE GO DIE COVID-19 DIE

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Oh man now we all need wrestling personas.

Uhh Nesbit is the BEE MAN, an anthropomorphic letter B, on the lam from sesame street

Deviant is SHOT WEDNESDAY, a man who somehow experiences gun violence in the middle of the week, every week

Cateret is IN-FLIGHT REPORTER, news anchor by day, pilot by night, wrestler on the weekends!

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

Cateret is IN-FLIGHT REPORTER, news anchor by day, pilot by night, wrestler on the weekends!

Cateret would obviously be THE TRUCK.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Awwwwww

Zackattack is the SNEAKAHOLIC, tricking poor unsuspecting marks into getting blitzed from his water bottle.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

It's pretty smart how they have it set up, and it gives the ultra rare tokens an instant minimum value and the prices just go up from there. For every $250 worth of token packs you buy from True Dungeon you get one ultra rare of your choice for free from those available that year. With that in mind, it pretty much sets the base price of any ultra rare at $250 and then they just jump when they go out of print at the end of the year. The year I decided to try to be semi-serious at TD I dropped something like $1k on tokens to get 4 ultra rares and then spent more to buy seperate tokens from players to build my character. The money sink the game was became apparent quick, and then after I played a few rounds at either Gen Con or Gamehole Con that year I just decided it was fun but worth the money or effort for something that just sucks up precious con time I could be using for other things. Maybe if I had a group to run with I would have thought differently but I doubt it. There is already too much to do at Gen Con as it is, especially now that I run a booth.

Speaking of, I really miss my time at the auction. Especially since I just inventoried and appraised my entire RPG and board game collection for insurance purchases. The holes in my collection are now glaring and they demand to be filled. The Gen Con auction is one of the best places to do that for the types of things I am missing. I mean, there is always ebay but not only are things typically triple the price you can get them at Gen Con you have to be extra careful not to accidently buy some print on demand reprint people are trying to trick you into buying online.

Right now I think I will not be exhibiting at Gen Con this year and if I can get a badge somehow (its up in the air if they'll let me buy one or not if I push my booth to next year) I think I'll be sure to spend some time in the auction. Just need to figure out the schedule so I don't schedule myself to run demos or play games during the TSR sections of the auction.
So True Dungeon tokens are about as unsustainable as Magic cards once were, where you could basically always sell whatever you bought for more than you paid for it originally.

Also I hear you about the Auction (well obviously). I have been astoundingly diligent about never shopping for gaming stuff online since I love bidding on things or finding them discounted in the Auction Store so much, but I went crazy and dropped a few hundred on things I had been looking for and never seen come up over the years. It actually helped me realize how much more fun I have buying things when I am presented with things spontaneously rather than actually planning out what I want to get. It probably reminds me of trying to find games for my Atari 800XL as a child, where just about any store in town MIGHT have some, and you just had to check all of them to find out!

The secret to not scheduling yourself to do things during the good times at the Auction is to ALWAYS BE IN THE AUCTION

More realistically, only doing events in the morning or on Sunday will guarantee you do not miss any specific sections, since of course the mornings are always for family board games and they rarely switch to anything more interesting until 12.

=-=-=

Also, to complete the post from earlier:

This is my favorite photo overall, and how I would probably still look all the time if I had the choice:

This is only my second-favorite double-arm-choke photo, but I cannot find the other one :smith:

Backstory: My cunning opponent "Point Blank" Mark Andrews put a pumpkin over his henchman (Captain Rat)'s head, and the referee (Torrent) thought it was me and counted the pin

This did not hurt at all, despite looking like the end of my career. I was surprisingly adept at doing a standing flip, but you can see one of my feet got caught on the top rope and must have slowed my momentum just enough.

One of about five real moves I ever took! From Zero, later seen as part of a tag team with A.M. Vishion on NWA-TNA Xplosion!

We even took some studio photos! First up, my faction at the time, the Fun Lovin' Criminals (:rolleyes:). I seem to recall I was forced to unmask and join their faction after losing a match to a guy they then kicked out when I joined, making me wonder why I was still bound to that agreement

Here I am attacking Thee Anjel with a deadly weapon; he was probably our best overall wrestler (since he was a professional dancer) but he had no interest in pursuing The Biz any further

Mostly my time in wrestling is remembered for me and my gang being more interested in making wrestling-based comedy than actually wrestling

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 22, 2021

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is only my second-favorite double-arm-choke photo, but I cannot find the other one :smith:

The next time we meet in person, I want you to recreate this picture with me. (And if I'm too big to get all the way up like that, I would settle for a nice goozle.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CellBlock posted:

The next time we meet in person, I want you to recreate this picture with me. (And if I'm too big to get all the way up like that, I would settle for a nice goozle.)
If you are too big to get up like that, I will just throw you off the stage through a flaming table instead.

Yeah oddly I have not done a lot of "picking people up in a choke" for a while; it would be interesting to see how well I can do it now! Hooray! Nothing can go wrong!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Dr. Quarex posted:

If you are too big to get up like that, I will just throw you off the stage through a flaming table instead.

I do not want you to do this.

Actually, I would like this very much, but I trust neither you nor I to not gently caress it up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This is it. This is the best GenCon thread ever.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Has an indy (in Indy) ever run Gencon as a show? Seems like an untapped market. Thanks for the stories, I always love hearing about the bootstraps and duct tape type groups.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CellBlock posted:

Actually, I would like this very much, but I trust neither you nor I to not gently caress it up.
Oh for sure. The guy who went on to the most success later once almost tore our federation apart after asking if he could do a flaming table spot and being told "absolutely not holy poo poo you are crazy" and then doing it anyway. Astoundingly it went fine, but like, come on; just use rusty nails coated in blowfish poison like normal wrestlers

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is it. This is the best GenCon thread ever.
We are in uncharted territory now

AND we have six more weeks than usual to hype ourselves up!!!

Anyone else want to reveal their deepest, darkest secrets, which are not actually dark at all, and are only secrets because you never think to talk about them?

darkspider42 posted:

Has an indy (in Indy) ever run Gencon as a show? Seems like an untapped market. Thanks for the stories, I always love hearing about the bootstraps and duct tape type groups.
It definitely seems like that would have been a notable enough absurd event to be well-remembered. It definitely would not have happened until recently, given the minimal overlap between big nerds and wrestlers until the 2000s, so I think we would have noticed. The boxing matches in 2002 (that I assume were fixed?) represent a near-miss, though?

Nesbit37 is clearly the person in this thread who would have the best knowledge about weird crossover events like this; I want to say Peter Adkison basically brought that with him when he took over, but I also only went to two shows before it moved to Indianapolis, and the "extracurricular barely-related events" part of Gen-Con certainly would be easy to forget if you were not there. Like nobody talks about the They Might Be Giants concert, and that was only about six years ago (O.K. probably longer)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Quarex, I see you're wearing a replica of the Big Gold Belt from WCW. Your six month or so stint with is is longer than any world title run in WCW between 99 until it's death.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Every time I see a new post in this thread, I come in and have no idea what to expect. But it's always high quality. The magic of Gen Con.

Edit for actual content: I'm moving from DC to LA within the next six months, so my days of road tripping out to Gen Con with some friends is sadly over. But being able to roll hungover onto a flight home sounds infinitely better than driving 10hrs home while hungover ("hungover" in this case being both from alcohol and just a week of very little sleep because of too much to do and too many games to play). I guess this might help me keep my spending habits down, since I imagine shipping stuff home would be annoyingly expensive.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

Quarex, I see you're wearing a replica of the Big Gold Belt from WCW. Your six month or so stint with is is longer than any world title run in WCW between 99 until it's death.
Good point, and depending on the title lineage you follow, I probably have an argument for being a more legitimate champion than David Arquette.

I do remember at the time thinking our belt replica was cool as hell, not yet knowing the proliferation of replica belts that was already well underway at that point. I bet if we had done it ten years later someone would have bought a custom title, too. Hey wait, I can just have someone design the Entropy Memorial Title! Though our federation sadly went under the show before I was going to retire that gimmick and return as "Cowboy Entropy Jr." with an intentionally terrible impression of a cowboy. I guess it is never too late to just show up as that character to Gen-Con

Agrias120 posted:

Every time I see a new post in this thread, I come in and have no idea what to expect. But it's always high quality. The magic of Gen Con.
This iteration of the thread is definitely going interesting places. I blame a year of nobody being allowed to have fun

Also yeah flying is a mixed bag; I thought I would be doing that myself when I lived in Seattle for a couple of years, but I kept finding reasons to be back in the Midwest with my car during the summer. Somehow I doubt that applies to your situation

And yeah, shipping stuff home from there is apparently convenient and pleasant but I believe nobody has called it "super cheap"

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Quarex posted:

David Arquette
The funny thing is, David Arquette now is a more viable champion than he was 21 years ago. He's apparently an OK indie guy, and even had a really bloody match with Nick Gage.

Vince Russo is the WCW champ with zero credibility. Was the booker at the time? Check. Vacated the title check, rather than losing it? Check. Won the title while not really doing anything? Check. One day reign? Check.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

The funny thing is, David Arquette now is a more viable champion than he was 21 years ago. He's apparently an OK indie guy, and even had a really bloody match with Nick Gage.

Vince Russo is the WCW champ with zero credibility. Was the booker at the time? Check. Vacated the title check, rather than losing it? Check. Won the title while not really doing anything? Check. One day reign? Check.
That makes sense. And I almost wrote "and Vince Russo," but I panicked since Vince was at least a long-time wrestling insider and had that ... "credibility," but yeah David Arquette is obviously now a better worker than either Russo or I ever was, based on what I have seen.

Also I am going to bed because I literally have 8 hours between the end of my shift tonight and getting up for my shift tomorrow, so I tragically cannot watch and summarize it for the thread JUST YET, but here is a video I am sure some of you might want to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KFkCSV0CVU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
None of you recapped it in the last day, you monsters, so here is the Dr. Drewcifer's Takeaways version of the video:

1. This was indeed the only date available for the rest of the year, hence why they did it despite knowing it was over Yom Kippur.
  2. They literally started planning the convention the day they announced the date. I mean, beyond knowing the date. It makes sense, given that none of the exhibitors or other companies involved knew the new potential date so how could they do any planning, but is so hilariously not what I assumed was happening behind the scenes.
  3. Related, this is why their answer to Literally Every Question was "we're not sure yet." The closest thing they gave to an answer on anything interesting was when asked if Lukas Oil Arena will be in use; though they do not know any specifics yet, due to social distancing logic it will likely be a "broad" Gen-Con, and definitely bigger than just the convention center. Perhaps even more of a Gen-Con City than usual then.
  4. They also confirmed they have to know how the rollover and donation badges stack up against the initial attendance cap before opening up sales, so that definitely means badges will not be on sale before mid-May.
  5. Again related, they acknowledge there is a chance the pre-sold badges will hit the attendance cap :ohdear: though when they started discussing how theoretically it was also possible things would go so poorly that the attendance cap was even lower than the rollover badges, Derek basically said "but at that point we would have to consider whether we can even do an in-person show."
  6. If Gen-Con were Neapolitan ice cream, Gen-Con Indy would be vanilla, Gen-Con Online would be chocolate, and Pop-Up Gen-Con would be strawberry. Unfortunately this means I have lost all interest in Gen-Con Indy :mad:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Dr. Quarex posted:

None of you recapped it in the last day, you monsters, so here is the Dr. Drewcifer's Takeaways version of the video:

Dude, I stopped clicking on Youtube links (especially links that aren't given at least some context) on these dead gay forums like a decade ago.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

Dude, I stopped clicking on Youtube links (especially links that aren't given at least some context) on these dead gay forums like a decade ago.
Well I mostly understand that, but when you see the Gen-Con talking heads you at least have that context. Unless you are operating in a video-preview-free environment which does probably exist in some option setting

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I haven't been following any news about GenCon since the pandemic hit. Is it actually happening this year?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Looks like it's happening! Sounds like if it gets cancelled at this point its because the health guidelines would push the attendance cap so low it doesn't make financial sense for Gen Con to host the event.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

nesbit37 posted:

Looks like it's happening! Sounds like if it gets cancelled at this point its because the health guidelines would push the attendance cap so low it doesn't make financial sense for Gen Con to host the event.

How are hotel reservations being handled? Have they already been doled out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

SirPhoebos posted:

How are hotel reservations being handled? Have they already been doled out?

Nothing has been handled/announced. Event submission/ticketing, badge sales, hotels, etc. are all still TBD. Gen Con announced a date because if they didn't, they'd have lost the ability to even have that date, but most of the logistics of actually having the con are still up in the air.