Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
They've actually cut a lot of the Shun side of things from the LNs. The LNs had a lot more of him as a kid growing up, meeting his former best friend (the redhaired girl) and their teacher (the elf), etc. Those parts have a lot more direct parallels with the Kumoko side, like the part with Kumoko trying to eat the egg and then losing it to adventurers burning her home is pretty quickly followed with Shun being given Fei's egg as a gift. Most of that stuff is really boring so it makes sense you'd cut it for more Kumoko, but it does do a better job of connecting the two stories than the anime has so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Uh, I think the pacing is fine. It’s not God of High School at least. Her lines outright state she’s going to grind and I’m glad they cut it.

I felt that what they did was actually really clever which is having her shadow box some rocks. Shame about the (cut content spoiler for 1-2 weeks ago) Wasps though, because there's a hilarious running gag there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

And Kumoko is best girl. Seriously has there ever been such a positive, upbeat, and go with the flow waifu? I can’t think of any!

I'm not sure if "waifu" is appropriate here, since she's the player character's daughter, but Morgan in Fire Emblem Awakening is similarly positive and upbeat, despite being an amnesiac sent decades into the past where she's immediately being hunted by zombies.

It contrasts with the player character's amnesia being a major emotional issue.

Morgan also chases down a priest to force feed him viper blood and bear gizzards at one point, so Kumoko's usual strategies are right up her alley.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arrgytehpirate posted:

And Kumoko is best girl. Seriously has there ever been such a positive, upbeat, and go with the flow waifu? I can’t think of any!

Have you watched Symphogear? Because if not you should watch Symphogear. Aoi Yuuki plays the lead there really similar to how she's playing Kumoko.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Omnicrom posted:

Have you watched Symphogear? Because if not you should watch Symphogear. Aoi Yuuki plays the lead there really similar to how she's playing Kumoko.

Another recommendation for Symphogear from me. Great magical girl transformations, great songs, and a great cast.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The lead Aoi Yuuki plays (Hibiki) in Sympth seems to strike me more as a hot blooded shonen protagonist while Kumoko is more of a unapologetic yet determined nerd/gamer. She's determined to survive as Kumoko but she's introspective and deliberates over her actions and surroundings in ways that I think Hibiki wouldn't, Kumoko is a fairly cautious powergamer whereas Hibiki would just charge in head first yelling leeroy jenkins.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nitrousoxide posted:

Another recommendation for Symphogear from me. Great magical girl transformations, great songs, and a great cast.

Also a mountain (K2) got in her way once so she punched it out. The main characters are so OP in later seasons even the villains are like "Man that's bullshit!".

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Shame about the (cut content spoiler for 1-2 weeks ago) Wasps though, because there's a hilarious running gag there.

If you mean the (related to what was cut) bit where she keeps getting stung on the butt while wondering how they keep slipping past her detection, that's actually (still potentially upcoming) when she goes back to wipe out the nest in preparation for the showdown with Araba, and the OP has a shot of her facing down the entire wasp swarm so I imagine that won't get cut.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, whoever said the lyrics for the ED are super full of spoilers were not lying. like I've only read up to volume 6 of the manga, but I've checked out the wiki so i know some of what she's saying like the fighting her mother the greater taratect. and becoming an arachne Heck... now that we've seen body control and mind control, the fact that they show 4 different kumoko's for literally a second in the ED is kinda spoilery for later. Im pretty sure she's developed all 4 for where I'm at in the manga, but I don't remember the name of the hooded one. I know the one on top is "magic in charge" kumoko who's figuring out how to actually use the magical skills she gets

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Renzuko posted:

Holy poo poo, whoever said the lyrics for the ED are super full of spoilers were not lying. like I've only read up to volume 6 of the manga, but I've checked out the wiki so i know some of what she's saying like the fighting her mother the greater taratect. and becoming an arachne Heck... now that we've seen body control and mind control, the fact that they show 4 different kumoko's for literally a second in the ED is kinda spoilery for later. Im pretty sure she's developed all 4 for where I'm at in the manga, but I don't remember the name of the hooded one. I know the one on top is "magic in charge" kumoko who's figuring out how to actually use the magical skills she gets

Regarding the hooded one in the ED. At the pace we're going you'll likely see all 4 of them within two episodes.

For a refresher on what they are, look to volume 5 chapter 25.2 in the manga. The anime is currently up to Vol 4 Ch 19.1

We're currently just a little bit shy of halfway through the current point in the manga and are 1/4 of the way through the season.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Renzuko posted:

now that we've seen body control and mind control, the fact that they show 4 different kumoko's for literally a second in the ED is kinda spoilery for later. Im pretty sure she's developed all 4 for where I'm at in the manga, but I don't remember the name of the hooded one. I know the one on top is "magic in charge" kumoko who's figuring out how to actually use the magical skills she gets

They show the 4 Kumokos in the cover art for the anime

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
that's a good rear end english logo

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's interesting and feels meaningful that the "original" personality becomes the tactical one and not the body one. Normally you'd expect the focus to be on the actor with the "operator" in a support role.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Caphi posted:

It's interesting and feels meaningful that the "original" personality becomes the tactical one and not the body one. Normally you'd expect the focus to be on the actor with the "operator" in a support role.

I think that's just a way to explain the serious focusing on the protagonist explaining their actions in a fight instead of the dodging. Like they can be bouncing around and pulling off dodges but what the audience will be hearing is the tactical voice thinking through the situation instead of the reactions to the attacks and avoiding them.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah you dont really hear much from "body control" kumoko outside of when "mind control" yells at her for getting hit and she complains back.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I read the WN up until it stopped being updated, and read the manga after that, but if they get to my second favorite character(after Kumoko of course) before the manga does I will forgive the parts that focus on the rest of the class.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

logger posted:

I read the WN up until it stopped being updated, and read the manga after that, but if they get to my second favorite character(after Kumoko of course) before the manga does I will forgive the parts that focus on the rest of the class.

You may be pleased with the preview for the next episode. At least one new character will make an appearance soon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

logger posted:

I'm not sure who you could be talking about since the manga has introduced pretty much every main character who'll be in the series (outside of the human side obv since it's not following that) for quite a while except for maybe 2 people?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

logger posted:

If you haven't checked in a while, they WN started getting updates again last month and it's moving along.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm not sure who you could be talking about since the manga has introduced pretty much every main character who'll be in the series (outside of the human side obv since it's not following that) for quite a while except for maybe 2 people?

A certain angry swordsmith

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ah, they were one of the two so I guess that makes sense.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Omnicrom posted:

I’ll have to check it out at some point. Probably not this season since it’s already packed with stuff to watch.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
They cut the ED for the mustache twirling idiot child...why? :(

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

lagidnam posted:

They cut the ED for the mustache twirling idiot child...why? :(

Hey now it's Sophia's debut, she deserves extra screentime.

They might also be trying to divert attention from D getting namedropped in the main story to stretch out that revelation as to who Kumoko is bitching about in the ending a little bit longer

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Who are all those names you are dropping?

-e-
Body and Mind have a nice dynamic. Can't wait for the other two.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 19, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well this is definitely an interesting episode, I think one of the first ones to recontextualize something for me.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Who are all those names you are dropping?

Sophia is the "mysterious girl enticing Hugo" (that's how she was called in the credits: ).
D was mentioned just before that, so the spoiler tags in Alectai's post were the wrong way around.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Ok, this episode finally sold me on the human side of things. It is really cool to see the teacher going 'skills are bad for you, trust me', and leaving it as that to the students, while Kumoko thinks about the skills logically and realizes the implication of the whole thing. And that one person showing exactly what happens when someone is too engrossed in the skills.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kumoko got Existential Dread Lv1!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm liking all the little things in the anime here that really foreshadow stuff to come but for someone who's just watching this the first time and hasn't read the books would totally fly over your head as irrelevant. Since the anime creators know what's coming up they can add all sorts of imagery that wasn't in the light novels.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like the implication that Hugo mostly just got generic stat boosters while trying his damndest to be a game-breaker, while Kumo keeps getting completely game-changing stuff basically by accident.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm not sure why getting skills is dangerous as opposed to over relying on skills is dangerous. Unless there's something else they can dump skill point into.

Unless the danger is picking a skill that fucks you over, like detection previously or if Prince rear end in a top hat has a skill that's egging on his crazy.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

I'm not sure why getting skills is dangerous as opposed to over relying on skills is dangerous. Unless there's something else they can dump skill point into.

Unless the danger is picking a skill that fucks you over, like detection previously or if Prince rear end in a top hat has a skill that's egging on his crazy.

I think the danger is that get enough skills and you might be interesting to the admins. And I imagine the last thing you want in a world that seems as dog-eat-dog as this is to get the attention of the people who made it. Being the administrators' designated main character is probably not a good time.

But I guess that's still more related to relying on them like you said rather than just acquiring them so idk.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's like Twitter, the last thing you want is to be the Designated Main Character.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

im unspoiled and this is pure theory, but it seems like kumoko is either strong enough to have caught some bad attention that otherwise didn't care, or she was already being monitored by someone. it's probably got something to do with that weird skill, they showed stinky prince guy not only had it before but also that it specifically could not be erased by the teacher. so the fact that someone accessing the system directly like that couldn't erase it means it has to have an even higher clearance than that, which seems purely in the realm of an administrator like D

ninja edit: i say all this but dont know or have any theories as to why they would be monitored or anything, other than just the obvious "well they isekai'd, duh"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

In episode 5 we saw that Kumoko also has the n%|=W skill.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

im unspoiled and this is pure theory, but it seems like kumoko is either strong enough to have caught some bad attention that otherwise didn't care, or she was already being monitored by someone. it's probably got something to do with that weird skill, they showed stinky prince guy not only had it before but also that it specifically could not be erased by the teacher. so the fact that someone accessing the system directly like that couldn't erase it means it has to have an even higher clearance than that, which seems purely in the realm of an administrator like D

ninja edit: i say all this but dont know or have any theories as to why they would be monitored or anything, other than just the obvious "well they isekai'd, duh"

Oh yeah kumoko is definitely on people's radar. I wonder with the teacher though whether she couldn't get rid of that skill or didn't. I wonder if she even knows it's there. It seems weird she didn't mention it and other prince guy clearly doesn't trust her enough to mention that unskilled still had it. I was not interested in the classmates at all until this episode but I'm really glad they tied this story into the main kumoko story moreso than just establishing that "oh hey by the way some kind of isekai story is also happening over here everybody."

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

In episode 5 we saw that Kumoko also has the n%|=W skill.

All of them have that skill, not just Kumo and Hugo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tamba posted:

All of them have that skill, not just Kumo and Hugo.

I mean I know that. But I don't think that's been revealed in the Anime yet so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It hasn't been revealed what that skill does, but I don't think the fact that it's there was supposed to be a secret.
The anime just generally hasn't been showing of everyone's skills/stats as often as the other versions do (which they do way too much, but at least it's easy to skip past another page of appraisal text when you're reading)