Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

"that's not how you frame corners"

That's not how you frame trailers... 2x4 construction is fine for houses... but it eats the poo poo out of interior space of a trailer... And there's no load bearing, so a furring strip would suffice.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

meatpimp posted:

That's not how you frame trailers... 2x4 construction is fine for houses... but it eats the poo poo out of interior space of a trailer... And there's no load bearing, so a firing strip would suffice.

I'm not familiar at all with building trailers, but I did think it was weird that he didn't seem to be attaching his walls to the existing strips and hard points in the box truck. Now that you mention it though, it is really weird that he built a miniature building in the back of his truck that doesn't appear to be physically affixed to the truck in any substantial way

All I do know is that I'd be fired on the spot for trying to pass off that framing as a job well done. Not only is it done in a manner that would cause the wall to sheer clean off of the adjacent one if a substantial load were placed on it, but the walls themselves don't appear to be attached to anything other than another 2"x4" wall

He's an Engineer, so he "knows what he's doing", but because he's an engineer, he has no idea what he's doing and only knows how it looks on paper. So far he's built a Jenga tower of 2"x4"s, wired it in a manner that wouldn't even be acceptable in 1950, and hopes to build an entire house from scratch in presumably the same manner. I am so down for this poor bastard attempting to singlehandedly accomplish what is a 6-12 month long project for most construction companies, while also being so deep in over his head that he doesn't know which way is up

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm going to have to read this at some point, aren't I?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

On one hand I wanna see you rip them a new one, on the other hand lets not touch the poop. :v:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, I will stay out of that one. OP seems to be advice resistant. The BMW is sold, post here when the wheels fall off the stroller.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I haven't brought up the structural inadequacy of his work, but I did try to reel back his plan of building separate buildings for eating, sleeping, and making GBS threads/bathing in. I know he's in the middle of bum-gently caress nowhere, but no engineer is going to want their name on his plans, and no one issuing building permits is going to sign off on those plans to build each room of a house as its own separate building

I should have been nicer, but foundation work sucks and I'm trying to save this poor guy a lot of digging and a lot of concrete mixing on a property that doesn't have running water. Not even mentioning that he'd need literal tons of concrete and no longer has the utility of his super duty truck to transport the 6,000-12,000 lbs of dry mix per slab of concrete he's planned on doing entirely by himself

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

For a newly registered account, it seems a bit too on point.

I can't help but think it's just a huge troll. I applaud the effort, but I don't believe it's for real.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kastein posted:

Absofuckingloutely

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Deteriorata posted:

I can't help but think it's just a huge troll. I applaud the effort, but I don't believe it's for real.

If it's a troll the level of effort put in makes it worth reading anyways.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I couldn't even dent him, apparently he doesn't need permits for anything smaller than 12'x12' and he knows a lot of engineers

Deteriorata posted:

If you read the EVE backstory stuff, he is not only 100% genuine, but is also genuinely as dumb as he seems. Like, he was getting scammed and tried to recruit his buddies into the scam too because he bought into it so hard

If it's an elaborate Andy Kaufman-esque prank that he's sunk +$1000 and more than a dozen hours into, then consider me a mark

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kastein posted:

Please.

The Door Frame posted:

I couldn't even dent him, apparently he doesn't need permits for anything smaller than 12'x12' and he knows a lot of engineers

If you read the EVE backstory stuff, he is not only 100% genuine, but is also genuinely as dumb as he seems. Like, he was getting scammed and tried to recruit his buddies into the scam too because he bought into it so hard

If it's an elaborate Andy Kaufman-esque prank that he's sunk +$1000 and more than a dozen hours into, then consider me a mark

Elviscat posted:

I choose to believe - it’s just such a delight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

It really is a "whatever he's doing, it's a hell of a show" situations. I'm leaning toward troll - but at least when it was pointed ou after he posted a satellite map ow easy it would be to doxx, he reverted very quick to somethign hand drawn so he's not entirely silly

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
hey, wanna talk about wood and other things that are scary - have you guys seen my new trailer?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is "new" like my 5 ton was "new" in 2010 :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tbh I've seen uhauls that are sketchier.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I also don't want kids tbh.

I would rather have a BMW lease.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

64bit_Dophins posted:

Whoah, let's not get too hasty here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

64bit_Dophins posted:

Whaoh dude I know kids are a real stressful thing but lets not go THAT far

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

That sounds interesting and I've always wanted a Kinetic. Any pics of the prcess?

I didn't take any pics, but should have. It was a failed project, anyway. I got the watch for $25 at auction and figured all it would need is a capacitor, since it would run, but not hold a charge. Well, it's doing the same thing with a fresh capacitor, so I'm cutting my losses. That's a shame, it's a nice looking watch.

There are a number of Youtube videos about the capacitor change, but they don't really give you a feel for the true scale of the tiny parts. I ended up using the 10x magnification on my phone (which I'd never used before... it's remarkably good, sharp, and clear!) to see the orientation of the screw and screwdriver.

Fun project, too bad it was a failure. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I asked in DIY but you guys are also full of knowledge.

I have a slight cold draft coming from a gap between the bottom of my basement trim and the floor. Should I just caulk it or should I pull the trim and fill the entire gap with great stuff?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I have a slight cold draft coming from a gap between the bottom of my basement trim and the floor. Should I just caulk it or should I pull the trim and fill the entire gap with great stuff?

What's behind the wall? I.e. foundation, crawl space, another room?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

Caulk, sounds like your basement is finished, gently caress cleaning up great stuff.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I touched great stuff once. I looked like I had leprosy for about a month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

What's behind the wall? I.e. foundation, crawl space, another room?

Foundation wall.

I just spent 10 minutes laying on the floor along that wall. I didn't properly describe it. There's no actual air moving, it's just cold there and it's very localized, just a small span. So I'm guessing there's a gap in the insulation behind the wall.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

I touched great stuff once. I looked like I had leprosy for about a month.

I recently had the nozzle of a can come apart and douse my hands, now I keep a bottle of nail polish remover in my bathroom.

Note: acetone only works when it's wet, once it dries you just have to wait for the skin to come off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp. Another day, another family member dead to COVID. Another friend positive, but so far doing... okay. He's 3 weeks in, but didn't tell me until today.

Wound up leaving work about an hour early once I heard about said family member - I'm dealing with more death in the past year than in my entire life combined, and it's only downhill from here. Decided to try and setup my garage alarm permanently instead of on a bench, managed to smoke the keypad. :argh: Not sure how, but the magic smoke definitely escaped from the one mosfet on it. Guessing I shorted power to a data line when my dumb rear end crammed it back into the mount with hastily stripped wires, my mind was kinda elsewhere. New in box keypads cost more than what I paid for the entire system (keypad, board, can, siren, battery, etc), managed to find a used one for $30 though. With the keypad disconnected it SEEMS to power up fine - motion sensor works, siren works if I hit panic on the keyfob, wireless receiver LEDs act normal (the wireless receiver wires into the keypad bus). Fingers crossed I didn't damage the board.

Got a Wyze indoor cam for the garage, and holy poo poo the video is just horrible on it (picture quality is good, but it drops out constantly). I didn't have high hopes for $25, but even showing a very strong wifi signal (and the PC next to it pulling 80mbit down/10 up over wifi), the video constantly drops out. It's sitting 20 ft from an extender, if I connect my phone to the extender I get good speeds with 0% packet loss.

CommieGIR posted:

I grew up the eldest of 4 where pretty much all of us are on the spectrum and/or have ADHD, so we got him screened at my insistance.

So yeah, recognized the ticks.

Wait. Tics come with being on the spectrum?

I was "diagnosed with Tourette's" when I was a kid, along with ADD. Still have the tics, though I can control them a bit better now. Being on the spectrum would explain a hell of a lot of things that don't really go along with Tourette's. Kinda suspect I'm on it to some degree either way..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 3, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I want to read GroverTruk, but I just can't.
I mean, FFS, make the truck run and drive right before you build your home into it, at least.

Also, I could totally make a firepit work that slides out of the back from under the box, so it's outside when in use, but out of the way under the truck when not.

edit: argh, sorry STR.
On the Wyze cams, I thought they were supposed to be good budget devices? Hadn't read about that particular issue. Maybe contact their customer support about it.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 3, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Canada made the proud Boys into official terrists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7fe5_story.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Darchangel posted:

I want to read GroverTruk, but I just can't.
I mean, FFS, make the truck run and drive right before you build your home into it, at least.

Also, I could totally make a firepit work that slides out of the back from under the box, so it's outside when in use, but out of the way under the truck when not.

edit: argh, sorry STR.
On the Wyze cams, I thought they were supposed to be good budget devices? Hadn't read about that particular issue. Maybe contact their customer support about it.

They've abandoned the fire pit idea at least.

There's some amazing magical thinking when it comes to how engines work though.

Rytheric posted:

I believe I answered something similar to this before. So my box truck breaks down reliably. When it breaks down I know where it has broken and can easily fix it ive managed to create fail points that are meant to fail before catastrophic damage occurs elsewhere these points are easily accessible and easily repaired. I am worried that if I adjust any part of the exhaust or intake that that would shift the dynamic. I may make changes once I rebuild the engine, but an exhaust heated floor would only work for a few hours after running the vehicle. So I dont know how useful that would be.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

I thought so too. I might bring it inside the apt and see how it does when connected directly to the router instead of an extender.

A bit annoyed that I got a v2 instead of v3 as well.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have a mess of V2 Wyze cams and they all work great. Even have a couple outside. I don't have any range extender fuckery though, just one router in the center of my house.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I was going to say - I've got one indoor and one outdoor and they've both been great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Starting to think maybe I got a bad one.

.... and of course I already yeeted the packaging. Though I don't think it had a serial # on the package; I guess I could just order another, see if it works better, return the bad one in that package?

It's in a garage on the other end of the building, but the building is only 4 garages wide. It's essentially a duplex on top of garages, if that makes sense. Router basically sits above the wall between the two garages on the left, at the back; extender is tucked up in the top left corner of my garage on an extension cord. These are reasonably large apartments for 1 bedroom units (larger than a lot of 2 bedroom apartments I've lived in; this is about 850 sq ft), but they're still 1 bedroom apartments with a fairly open floorplan. I can connect to our regular router in the garage from my phone and laptop (hell I can connect to it in the parking lot with my phone, from where the picture was taken)

I really should see if the office will let me swap with the neighbors - the neighbors next to us have the garage directly under my living/dining room (where the Nissan is parked). I have the garage under their living and dining room.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 3, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

STR posted:

Welp. Another day, another family member dead to COVID. Another friend positive, but so far doing... okay. He's 3 weeks in, but didn't tell me until today.

This sucks. Were you close?

quote:

Wait. Tics come with being on the spectrum?

I was "diagnosed with Tourette's" when I was a kid, along with ADD. Still have the tics, though I can control them a bit better now. Being on the spectrum would explain a hell of a lot of things that don't really go along with Tourette's. Kinda suspect I'm on it to some degree either way..

Last week my wife looked at me for support on a wild idea. "Baby I want to talk to you about something...... I think I'm going to try to get the Covid Vaccine"

My repsonse is the same.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm watching a (formerly) close friend slowly go off the deep end. It started about 6 months ago when he decided that Ben Shapiro was 'a smart guy' and 'says thought provoking things' to full-on anti-mask, anti-vaccine, COVID is a hoax despite losing his own loving mother and aunt to COVID in the last 6 weeks. The final straw was his rant at a poor teenage waitress last weekend because they wouldn't seat his party of 7 together, because they all rode in the same minivan to get there. Any attempt to have rational conversation is ultimately rebuffed because he's being cancelled by the democrats.

Enjoy that island you're putting yourself on, bubbo, and call me when you're ready to come back to reality.

The sad thing is he (was) a great businessman that was great with people, genuinely compassionate and would give you the shirt off his back. I think there may be legitimate mental illness in play here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I'm watching a (formerly) close friend slowly go off the deep end.

Ah that sucks. It's a bummer when you see good friends just kinda slip away from your life for whatever reason, but some friends just come and go.

Today got a report back from my wife at the Tampa Lexus dealership and we have lost all trust in the service department, disappointing but oh well think I'm gonna try to find a good indy shop instead I'm over the bullshit. They are either incompetent and/or dishonest and neither is good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

I think there may be legitimate mental illness in play here.

You are seeing people break.

Its at the 5 way fuckabout intersection of a social creature can't see anybody for months on end
plus crippling financial anxiety because of stagnant wages and lol what's job security much less a fuckin career
plus the state is a flaming bathtub floating down a river of hot sewage
plus the economy is in the shitter after the last four years of winning
and finally, who knows when the vaccine is going to arrive en masse much less can it outpace the mutated strains.

This is what happens when you squeeze the life outta someone. They start clutching for anything to try and use as a foothold. Right up until they're gone.

What this country has done to its citizens is a tragedy.

Friends also come and go. Embrace the time you had while you were together, for it isn't forever. No one has the exact goals as you at that moment in time. if you meet someone with most of the same goals over a period of time, marry them. Sometimes friendships grow extremely intricate but typically they peter out. Its just what it is. Getting old is hard.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

You are seeing people break.

Its at the 5 way fuckabout intersection of a social creature can't see anybody for months on end
plus crippling financial anxiety because of stagnant wages and lol what's job security much less a fuckin career
plus the state is a flaming bathtub floating down a river of hot sewage
plus the economy is in the shitter after the last four years of winning
and finally, who knows when the vaccine is going to arrive en masse much less can it outpace the mutated strains.

This is what happens when you squeeze the life outta someone. They start clutching for anything to try and use as a foothold. Right up until they're gone.

What this country has done to its citizens is a tragedy.

Friends also come and go. Embrace the time you had while you were together, for it isn't forever. No one has the exact goals as you at that moment in time. if you meet someone with most of the same goals over a period of time, marry them. Sometimes friendships grow extremely intricate but typically they peter out. Its just what it is. Getting old is hard.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

This sucks. Were you close?

No. But the fact that I've lost count of how many friends and family I've lost to COVID is very disturbing for me.

On that note... Reddit actually delivered some good poo poo. Austin Public Health had posted about not getting any vaccines for this week, some of us wondered how we'd ever get poked. The county I'm in has a vaccine hub very close to me (I live a bit outside of Austin itself); someone replied several hours later, and told me to check the hub's website immediately, and I spotted the notification pretty quickly. Managed to get an appointment for tomorrow morning.

I'm both thrilled and on the verge of tears.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ah that sucks. It's a bummer when you see good friends just kinda slip away from your life for whatever reason, but some friends just come and go.

Today got a report back from my wife at the Tampa Lexus dealership and we have lost all trust in the service department, disappointing but oh well think I'm gonna try to find a good indy shop instead I'm over the bullshit. They are either incompetent and/or dishonest and neither is good.

Lexus has fallen in service. I worked at Nashville Lexus (it wasn’t called that) starting in 95. Wonderful place, would bend over backwards. You had a flat and the spare touches the ground? Here is a brand new spare (how my 76 Nova at the time rode on 5 mile Michelin tires for free). Your wife filled the crankcase with antifreeze? Pay the labor here is a new engine from Japan. I realize Toyota was trying to take over the world at the time and destroy Mercedes and BMW at their own game, and it worked.

Now the local Yota dealership won’t even look at anything out of warranty practically (they treated me well when I had a new Prius) and Nashville won’t even co sister looking at any import I have. We used to have techs from Jaguar and other shops and work on ancient Cruisers.

The service has fallen. I’m sure buying a new one is still good. I’m not even bothering when my Crown and Land Cruiser I’m keeping for the family cara gets here.

I’ve been screwed by so many local shops, even one I trusted for 15 years.

I have one I haven’t been to a local kids dad owns and they’ve been around forever, he loves all my stuff and he himself has a mismash of imports and even a cobbled together jdm Suzuki kei.

Fingers crossed!