Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't believe it's hit the point where this all falls apart yet, so I'm going to buy if it'll let me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

has anyone successfully withdrawn their balance from this thing yet?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A little over 1000 too far back for this drop. Ultimately this is likely to be a good thing.

Booyah- posted:

has anyone successfully withdrawn their balance from this thing yet?

Not that I'm aware of, lol.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Hell I haven’t successfully gotten a pack yet. #112116 in line right now. I even missed the preorder last week because I wasn’t staring at my phone and my window passed.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
92K for me

Maybe 2/3rds of the people ahead of me will chicken out at paying $199 for a pack?

:rolleye:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Wasn't able to get in because I don't have a Moment yet, which I couldn't get because the market has been down every single time I look. RIP me I guess?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You guys did read the warning saying you can’t buy this pack unless you already own one or more moments, right?

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Gologle posted:

Wasn't able to get in because I don't have a Moment yet, which I couldn't get because the market has been down every single time I look. RIP me I guess?

I'm in the same position.

I was also looking at Dapper and how to withdraw funds.

You can either withdraw from Dapper to a US bank account, via wire transfer, or to an Ethereum wallet.

So for those of us outside the US, we have to get an Ethereum wallet if we want to withdraw. I wonder how we would then withdraw / convert that Ethereum into actual money...? I'm guessing something like Coinbase or the like?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

100,000th in line :rip:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly I wanted to try, but they was only if the other card was sold by then. No way I’m investing that much into this, the basic packs seem to have enough potential.

I think this is the smart way to play it. Sell your cheap moments, then use that cash to get build up to a rare one. Don’t spend more than $15 real money on this.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Red Rox posted:

I think this is the smart way to play it. Sell your cheap moments, then use that cash to get build up to a rare one. Don’t spend more than $15 real money on this.

my slightly modified version of this: buy every pack they'll sell me, don't sell without a reason.*

* a reasonable reason is > $200,000 for a single moment.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

:hmm:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It's looking like I'll be one of the first 100-200 people in line to not get this pack.

This is such a hilarious way to sell a product.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It’s possible some purchases will fail and some packs will get added back in at the end.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Spacebump posted:

It's looking like I'll be one of the first 100-200 people in line to not get this pack.

This is such a hilarious way to sell a product.

You’re close enough that it’s worth sticking around but yeah, there’s clearly some psychological nonsense built into the model. Reminds me of the Nike SNKRS thing.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Starting to consider holding my Giannis dunk. Watch this the thing that finally turns me into a gambler.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

lol if the marketplace is disabled during the ASG.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the bright side Sabonis won the Taco Bell Challenge so hopefully if the market ever reopens my card has decent shot of selling I’d hope.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lol, they updated about the marketplace.

"THE MARKETPLACE IS DISABLED. WE EXPECT IT TO BE BACK ON MONDAY, MARCH 8."

I can't believe it will be down during the all star game.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spacebump posted:

Lol, they updated about the marketplace.

"THE MARKETPLACE IS DISABLED. WE EXPECT IT TO BE BACK ON MONDAY, MARCH 8."

I can't believe it will be down during the all star game.

They deserve it for what happened to Embiid and Simmons. :colbert:

Hopefully this will cause some insane purchasing frenzy.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
The marketplace has reopened, but for some unknown period of time they are only allowing people to delist moments. After that, they will allow you buy or sell a moment once every 2 hours.

https://blog.nbatopshot.com/posts/marketplace-reopening

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

coronaball posted:

The marketplace has reopened, but for some unknown period of time they are only allowing people to delist moments. After that, they will allow you buy or sell a moment once every 2 hours.

https://blog.nbatopshot.com/posts/marketplace-reopening

Thank god, I’ve had 2 moments that I couldn’t de-list for over a week. Now, maybe I can lower the price on them and actually sell them.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

spencer for hire posted:

Now that I’m hooked, someone convince me that trying to corner a card is a dumb idea. There is a base set 2 Drummond dunk with a cap of 15k. 50 sellers right now between $16-25 and approx 1000 sellers total. For like a grand I could buy everything less than $25. If I could sell them all for $25 then the move would be slightly profitable after 5% selling fee.

I didn’t end up going forward with my plan because there is also a $1.50 service charge for every purchase. Looks like that Drummond is up to $25 now though so maybe someone else is trying it!

Ended up selling a Sexton ~1200 serial CC common for $40 so I’ll take it. I really see LEs having tons of value in the future but there should be no value in CCs

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone actually do these challenges? They require like $2,000+ worth of moments. Is the moment you get as a reward super valuable?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t believe an actual human being paid me $120 for a gif.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Haha welcome to the club! Wait until YOU pay $250 for one...

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I guess it's time to start undercutting people

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

spencer for hire posted:

I really see LEs having tons of value in the future but there should be no value in CCs

I think you might be right about the LEs. It's tempting to sell them but they might be the only valuable thing left soon.

What's crazy is that the moments I got in my first pack were originally CCs, and they changed them to LEs. I guess cause they decided not to mint more.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Listed an RJ Barrett for $12 when the previous lowest was $13, it sold within minutes. Now I have to wait an hour twenty to sell my other common for ~8 or whatever. Going to keep holding my Julius Randle that's a LE moment and flip the money from the commons on another pack whenever the randomized line gods see fit. I think my game plan will be to hopefully keep flipping commons for new packs and keep the limited ones to see how the market goes in the slightly longer term.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm still trying to see when the preorder pack is getting sent out, I thought it was the beginning of march

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm still trying to see when the preorder pack is getting sent out, I thought it was the beginning of march

2 weeks from Feb 28th or whenever it was sent out.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Until you can actually withdraw your funds, can you really say you're making money?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

2 weeks from Feb 28th or whenever it was sent out.

Probably next week then, cool

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Until you can actually withdraw your funds, can you really say you're making money?

Well at the least I’m not spending any more of mine.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

spencer for hire posted:

I really see LEs having tons of value in the future but there should be no value in CCs
I was thinking about this. I got my brother to buy a $14 pack the other day and he landed a Zion Seeing Star, and I advised him to sell it tonight for $470 and it sold instantly.

I might've been wrong, but my thinking was this: 10,000 is somewhat limited but there are like 4 other LE's in series 2 that are smaller runs. There will be more rare runs in future series too. This one 10,000 LE, even if it's somewhat rare and Top Shot stays being a thing, will become one of many, and the Team Durant Seeing Stars challenge is winding down. Idk, it also just seems smart to take the $400+ win when you have the chance. And then you can jump in all the future queues and have money already in the bank to pay for them.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

Fast Luck posted:

I was thinking about this. I got my brother to buy a $14 pack the other day and he landed a Zion Seeing Star, and I advised him to sell it tonight for $470 and it sold instantly.

I might've been wrong, but my thinking was this: 10,000 is somewhat limited but there are like 4 other LE's in series 2 that are smaller runs. There will be more rare runs in future series too. This one 10,000 LE, even if it's somewhat rare and Top Shot stays being a thing, will become one of many, and the Team Durant Seeing Stars challenge is winding down. Idk, it also just seems smart to take the $400+ win when you have the chance. And then you can jump in all the future queues and have money already in the bank to pay for them.

Oh for sure, $400 is $400.

You bring up a good point about future releases. By series 7, who is going to want random Drummond Dunk series 2, even if there are only 15k of them in circulation? My initial thought was that top shot can easily reach 1 million plus collectors, which would make a 15k drop limited to less than 1.5% of the collector base. But similar to cardboard, most of those collectors will be focused on the latest releases.

The interesting wrench will be if Topshot releases new challenges for “old” series to promote the market.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I wouldn't underestimate the power of old rares if I were you. Old things you can no longer get have extraordinary and surprising value in games. But then, I'm thinking specifically in video games, and I don't know if that knowledge applies here.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

spencer for hire posted:

Oh for sure, $400 is $400.

You bring up a good point about future releases. By series 7, who is going to want random Drummond Dunk series 2, even if there are only 15k of them in circulation? My initial thought was that top shot can easily reach 1 million plus collectors, which would make a 15k drop limited to less than 1.5% of the collector base. But similar to cardboard, most of those collectors will be focused on the latest releases.

The interesting wrench will be if Topshot releases new challenges for “old” series to promote the market.

The old moments I think collectors (if this last more than a few more weeks/months) would want are rookie year moments from players that take the next step. LaMelo and Haliburton would be the best for that this year.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

For topshot every guy's series 1 cards are basically a "rookie" equivalent i feel like, as there are no earlier available gifs of lebron dunking either even though hes an old vet at this point. but therefore, all the series 1 lebron gifs are worth minimum $25,000. for rookies basically the same "ground floor" principle will likely still apply but since none of these cards are truly getting lost or hacked up like traditional cards, rookie cards wont have the elevated scarcity that they otherwise might... and idk if a rookie rising stars lamelo ball (2021 total printed) will be worth more than, like, a "legendary" lamelo ball card in a few seasons that they only make 1000 of? like idk

But rookie cards are also a good time to bet on who you thinks gonna be a star, like you can get a precious achiuwa for $375 right now and if he goes on to be a stud you made a ton of money. or if you think lamelo will literally be the next lebron then maybe you do spend $3000 on his rare rookie card and then flip it for $100,000 if this thing is still humming in ten years. i also wonder if the nba will ever license additional animated gif sellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

There goes Giannis for $444 :toot: