Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
First 2 hours report: I like it. Well polished, looks great in 4k (PC 3080 gang) and as advertised, it's anime as gently caress. The combat feels a little rough around the edges with their being a heavy reliance on throwing things but it's still early going and they keep adding things at a nice pace so I can see this getting real fun. Playing as the lady first as recommended, story is very much comprehensible so if you picked the guy and are lost - maybe they should have better advertised a recommended order.

Looking forward to jumping back in tonight even if it is at the cost of FF7 Remake DLC and Strive time.

edit: re: anime as gently caress - I'm currently reading Black Clover for the first time (which in itself is shonen by the numbers) and at times this can feel like the sci-fi version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tae posted:

Kasane summary: I MUST FIND OUT IF YUITO IS FIT TO HUSBAND MY SISTER

he must continue the Kasane bloodline

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone found any must have talents in the talent tree? I just beelined it to the 2 additional accessory slots but haven't really seen anything else that looks amazing. I guess doubling the psychokinesis bar would be nice but that seems like an investment to get both.

All the talents seem kinda lame or are literally like 5% more damage which is extremely disappointing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Anyone found any must have talents in the talent tree? I just beelined it to the 2 additional accessory slots but haven't really seen anything else that looks amazing. I guess doubling the psychokinesis bar would be nice but that seems like an investment to get both.

All the talents seem kinda lame or are literally like 5% more damage which is extremely disappointing.

Concurrent SAS Activation. It lets you use 2 SAS abilities at once, which gives you a lot more combat flexibility.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The knock down recovery talent, the one that lets you use two ally abilities at the same time, and auto-heal are all pretty good/necessary for rounding out your toolkit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

All of the aerial stuff is quite nice and the 4-hit combo at the very least is extremely good + necessary for certain late-game SAS bonuses. Unless you just mean stuff in the bottom half of the tree in which case uhhh... Maybe the stuff that lets you beat more EXP out of enemies becomes useful late in the game? Maybe?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kasane owns as the protagonist (ch5 spoilers) Well gently caress, no one is going to believe I didn't kill the chairman. Might as well go all out and try to kill Yuito now to avert the worst timeline.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

ColdIronsBound posted:

3 hours in and combat and music are fantastic.

Story has been OK-Good, the subway boss thing at 3 hours has elevated it to Crazy AF territory and I’m now well into it.

I finally got to that subway boss and holy poo poo, you weren't kidding.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah that's when poo poo starts going the gently caress DOWN.

Unrelated, but apparently there's some cross-promotion going on. In the anime, there are some codes that unlock things in the game.

You have to go to Musubi's to use them. Ep 1 code: "Such a liar". Ep 2 code: "Tell the truth".

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Just got this tonight and 3 hours in. Really enjoying it so far. I like the combat and the story has a good premise.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Hit chapter 6 tonight on Yuito's playthrough and......man this game is just such a mixed bag. It has a good/great concept (JRPG but cool psionic powers) but feels terribly unambitious in its execution. It has one trick that it does pretty well, but everythign else feels like it got zero budget or focus. The story has some great big ideas, but it always feels like it's retreating from those big swings back to safe anime tropes.

I keep coming back to it and playing for like an hour and then getting bored of it and then stopping, then repeating the cycle.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VanillaGorilla posted:

Hit chapter 6 tonight on Yuito's playthrough and......man this game is just such a mixed bag. It has a good/great concept (JRPG but cool psionic powers) but feels terribly unambitious in its execution. It has one trick that it does pretty well, but everythign else feels like it got zero budget or focus. The story has some great big ideas, but it always feels like it's retreating from those big swings back to safe anime tropes.

I keep coming back to it and playing for like an hour and then getting bored of it and then stopping, then repeating the cycle.

This is pretty much my feeling too. I really like the story, setting and music. But some of the stuff seems to have 0 effort put in like the sidequests or equipment. So far all the equipment has been miniscule stat boosts. It may as well not exist at all.

And speaking of the Yuito playthrough, do any of his companions get better secondary effects for their SAS powers at bond lvl 3? Because it seems like he definitely got the worse of the two parties / teammates. Kasane gets electricity, duplication, invis and superspeed which just seem way better than fire, clairvoyance, teleport and a damage shield..

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dodge seems unreliable, am I missing something to the defense side or is this just the kind of game where you're meant to take damage and chug potions during fights?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The dodge seems unreliable, am I missing something to the defense side or is this just the kind of game where you're meant to take damage and chug potions during fights?

There’s no canceling or I-frames really so unless you hit the window for a “perfect dodge” it doesn’t really do much for you.

Melee combat is basically an afterthought by mid game anyway, you pretty much only use it to build psi-meter. Staying in an enemy’s grill is almost never a good idea.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Has anyone found a drop location for Research Facility Environment S, I've done multiple loops and not gotten any

Also the "Don't consume the brain zone charge when in the brain flow mode" skill dosent seem to work

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 26, 2021

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And speaking of the Yuito playthrough, do any of his companions get better secondary effects for their SAS powers at bond lvl 3? Because it seems like he definitely got the worse of the two parties / teammates. Kasane gets electricity, duplication, invis and superspeed which just seem way better than fire, clairvoyance, teleport and a damage shield..

You get access to everyone else later on and you get the ability to equip 8 SAS powers and not just the 4 you initially start off with (L1/LB and R1/RB). Bond L3 also gives you Combo Visions which call your teammates in place of yourself to do attacks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Aphrodite posted:

There is apparently I frames after the dodge, not during the initial one.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

VanillaGorilla posted:

There’s no canceling or I-frames really so unless you hit the window for a “perfect dodge” it doesn’t really do much for you.

That said, if you can chain perfect dodges on a boss it's one hell of a ride

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FireWorksWell posted:

That said, if you can chain perfect dodges on a boss it's one hell of a ride

Tsugumi's power for the stronger perfect dodge counters feels so good

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I've been trying to find Research Data S to exchange for a gift in Phase 10. Is it just alow drop rate item? Since i've found Research Data A, B, and C, but no S.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I know it's an anime cliche but I absolutely love how Yuito talks in a way that leads every girl on while also completely shutting down their romantic advances without a clue.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is Kasane's story a severe whiplash of mood or is it just me. So much murder and just casually forget it the next scene.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Tae posted:

Is Kasane's story a severe whiplash of mood or is it just me. So much murder and just casually forget it the next scene.

Especially with the bond links for the other team. Just gonna show up to have lunch with someone you just tried to electrocute and crush with concrete blocks! I gave her the half-mask and oni horns to try and fake a samurai mask, now she looks like a Metal Gear Rising fan's villainous OC.

I also find it hilarious (and laudable) how rude she is. Instead of the cinnamon roll character, you get her dour sister who really doesn't have time for this and keeps saying callous stuff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Unrelated, but Dream In Drive slaps

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

100% no regrets about this cosmetic purchase.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yuito plot spoilers: NAGI YOU WERE SO PURE AND SWEET AND WHOLESOME WHY DID THEY HAVE TO TURN YOU EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tae posted:

Yuito's is the same way, they'll literally be talking about atrocities and then swerve into talking about how cute Baki is. And there's the same dissonance of "oh, we were just trying to murder you as part of this civil war, but thanks for texting me let's go on a platonic date to the juice bar".

There's dumb anime and there's THIS, where it feels like they're checking off some list of anime tropes they had to mash into the game. It really comes at the cost of weakening everything that makes the game unique and fun.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God Eater was exactly the same way. The setting and world and character design is super dire and bleak and then it's full of characters doing pratfalls and dumb gags like one girl having a massive bag where she's constantly pulling sandwiches from. I think I brought this up in the God Eater thread when I first played GE2 and was told that the studio released a beta test/demo or something that was way more serious and not funny at all and Japanese fans freaked out and got insanely mad that it wasn't like the first game so they re-wrote huge portion of the script to make it like...this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good

The God Eater anime ran with everything is bleak and hosed and it sucked rear end.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Good

The God Eater anime ran with everything is bleak and hosed and it sucked rear end.

I mean it might be better if the characters had any depth.....at all. But they just come across as a laundry list of anime stereotypes. Like they twist themselves into knots shoehorning archetypes in (e.g. "oh, uhhhh....brain powers mess with your age, which is why there's an under-age presenting girl who is actually a wise and sarcastic older woman. No it doesn't work in any consistent way and there are plenty of other characters who age normally, depending on their archetype. Shut up. Baki is cute".

I think it's actually a testament to the game's premise and what it does well that this stuff is bothering me so much. The parts where it's cheap really let down the core of something good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

baki is cute. they made a good writing decision

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so what do they mean by fighting together to increase bond? do they have to be in the main party or is it activating sas?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so what do they mean by fighting together to increase bond? do they have to be in the main party or is it activating sas?

Pretty sure it's fighting alongside you, unless each character has different bond progression rates

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Pretty sure it's activating SAS(and maybe combo abilities too later on). I have been using the same 2 party members most of the time and all of them are the same bond level. I use all the SAS abilities as much as I can.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pretty sure it's activating SAS(and maybe combo abilities too later on). I have been using the same 2 party members most of the time and all of them are the same bond level. I use all the SAS abilities as much as I can.

Maybe both SAS and active combat contribute? Both come off as bonding with your player.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean it might be better if the characters had any depth.....at all. But they just come across as a laundry list of anime stereotypes. Like they twist themselves into knots shoehorning archetypes in (e.g. "oh, uhhhh....brain powers mess with your age, which is why there's an under-age presenting girl who is actually a wise and sarcastic older woman. No it doesn't work in any consistent way and there are plenty of other characters who age normally, depending on their archetype. Shut up. Baki is cute".

I think it's actually a testament to the game's premise and what it does well that this stuff is bothering me so much. The parts where it's cheap really let down the core of something good.

The one-off explanation that the game gives in a very early brain message is that once you become a full-fledged OSF member, they start you on a regimen of magical anti-aging drugs because psychic powers can become unstable or break down as you physically age. The reason why everyone has different physical ages is because not all of them were recruited to the OSF at the same time in their lives. IIRC, Kagero is specifically mentioned as someone who was scouted as an adult.

It's silly and handwavey and brings up a lot of potential setting issues(if they have anti-aging drugs with no side effects there should be huge problems with literal immortality being a thing), but it's consistent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I took the anti aging drugs to mean it delays / slows the aging process, not that you could be immortal if you kept taking them. Gemma mentions this in his bond sessions about how he's getting older and nearing retirement after having spent his whole life in the OSF. He's also worried about the effects on his body and mind because he will go from middle aged man with good use of his powers to an old man with extremely diminished powers really quickly once he's off the drugs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I took the anti aging drugs to mean it delays / slows the aging process, not that you could be immortal if you kept taking them. Gemma mentions this in his bond sessions about how he's getting older and nearing retirement after having spent his whole life in the OSF. He's also worried about the effects on his body and mind because he will go from middle aged man with good use of his powers to an old man with extremely diminished powers really quickly once he's off the drugs.

This part IS portrayed somewhat inconsistently, since characters like Kyoka and Arashi have been OSF members for literally decades and have nothing like this plot arc going on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kanos posted:

This part IS portrayed somewhat inconsistently, since characters like Kyoka and Arashi have been OSF members for literally decades and have nothing like this plot arc going on.

Kyoka and Arashi have been OSF for 29 years. Gemma? 38.

There's a 9 year gap. That's a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I think I hit a point with this game that was bad enough to just make me put it down - the....3rd? 4th? fight with Nagi in Chapter 9 of Yuito's playthrough.

Basically, any of the game's fights against human opponents are pretty rear end, but this one takes the cake. If you get in too close, he can one-shot you with his knives (presumably because he fires them shotgun style, and you get hit with a bunch of projectiles). If you stay away you can try to time perfect dodges with ranged counters (assuming you're using SAS Clairvoyance) to knock him down and get some hits in - but he has a metric assload of HP and this takes forever.

Basically it's a long as hell fight and if you gently caress up he punishes you. Oh, and he can fog the arena (which becomes a real pain in the rear end because you need clairvoyance ot hit him anyway) and his dumb sprint makes him basically invulnerable to objects you throw.

The execution of the story and the incredible repetition was already dragging it down past the halfway point. If they're going to cock up the one thing the game has going for it (combat), then fuuuuuuuck this.