Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

victrix posted:

What're folks doing for multiplayer voice chat?

Discord all the way. Just install it to your phone and plug in some headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kirios posted:

I loved Gunlance in World and enjoyed doing my Kamehameha blast - did they nerf it to the ground in Rise?

you can get rid of charged shells to rocket jump

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

gently caress yeah who else is getting their claws out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Every time I start a new MH I think how fun it'd be to start with lance or IG from the beginning before realizing that those weapons don't really become unlocked until you get guard/good kisnects

This is how I feel about the ranged weapons too, ammo management early on just isnt as engaging until you have the upgraded farm/trader/whatever it will be in Rise

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i love monster hunter

https://i.imgur.com/v8Fz69f.mp4

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That can't be monster hunter, hitboxes are too good

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tag yourself. I'm the rusted out car chilling out in the background.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

With switch adapters not shipping in time and the 8bitdo pro 2 coming out soon after release, I've got a couple weeks of joycon playing staring back at me. Pray for my poor soul

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'll be playing on a gamecube controller look alike B^}

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MMF Freeway posted:

Singleplayer and multiplayer progression being separate is the only big one I can think of. Coming from PC World going back to 1080p 30fps is an adjustment as well, though I know that doesn't bother everyone

Not gonna lie, this annoys the poo poo out of me and is a big part of why I'm going to rebuy on PC. I still can't quite tell if movement in Rise is a bit clunkier than World in the RE Engine, or if it just feels clunkier because it's 30fps instead of 144.

Still gonna play this game all weekend :woop:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Excited to post in this thread a year from now when Rise finally meanders its way over to PC. :arghfist: :saddowns:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Excited to post in this thread a year from now when Rise finally meanders its way over to PC. :arghfist: :saddowns:

You can still post in this thread for World and stuff. I'm sure that's where most PC players will be staying if they don't have a switch after all

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Got this preordered. I was LS main in 4U (for my sins), Aerial DBs predominantly in GU. This time I'm leaning towards Lance for a few reasons:

1) Hunting Horn is gonna be a massive bandwagon and a person I play with a lot is a Hammer main so figure I should let them have the head all to themselves,

2) was also considering Switch Axe but theres an SA main in another group I play a lot with

3) people in the last thread wouldnt shut the gently caress up about how good it is

So I guess Lance it is. Fits the username I suppose!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

oh poo poo, I took down mizutsune! I decided to give lance a try and it clicked. the long reach and the shield were a huge help, also got a bunch of good hits charging down his side with that dumbass running charge attack. I ended up attacking him with both other monsters and even hopped on his back to slam him into a wall at one point, it was quite an exciting fight. this is going to be my first MH and I can't wait to spend the weekend really digging in and figuring everything out a bit more.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Help me I cannot pick a weapon. Do I return to my MHGU ways and play switch axe, do I play insect glaive, do I play gunlance. I do not know.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't plan to main Lance this time around but that doesn't mean it's not super good and should be used by everyone. I'm sure I'll keep a well-upgraded one in my pocket for later.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

robot roll call posted:

oh poo poo, I took down mizutsune! I decided to give lance a try and it clicked. the long reach and the shield were a huge help, also got a bunch of good hits charging down his side with that dumbass running charge attack. I ended up attacking him with both other monsters and even hopped on his back to slam him into a wall at one point, it was quite an exciting fight. this is going to be my first MH and I can't wait to spend the weekend really digging in and figuring everything out a bit more.

Nice! Here is a dope video of someone playing lance masterfully:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fF8q1Ucecw

The cool thing is, none of this is mechanically complicated. It's all a person knowing Lance's tools and using them at effective points.

I gushed about it in the previous thread:

Shine posted:

This is an excellent video. There's a huge difference between this play and the "poke poke poke, hop, walk slowly" that people often think of with Lance. This really shows off the whole moveset and Lance's surprisingly good mobility. Counters to shrug off attacks and keep up constant pressure (including lots of the new wirebug counter/buff), Power Guard into aimed charged thrusts to redirect attacks to weak points (when a normal counter would have hit the body for gray damage), Guard Dash/Leap Thrust combo to close small distances with minimal stamina drain, Charge to close large distances, the new charged swipe during big openings (noteable that this player didn't spam that attack nonstop; much of the offense was counters and pokes, unless the monster was down or locked into a long animation)... Good poo poo all around.

This is a great video to show off what Lance is capable of once you get a feel for its mobility moves and the various guards/counters available. Just relentless pressure and shrugging off attack after attack. Lance owns.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
switch axe switch axe switch axe

I love the paragon of aggression. I started with Axe after bouncing off a few different weapons in MHTri and have mained it ever since.

With friends I've also dabbled in SnS (which I got decently good at!) and HH (which I didn't). Maybe with the HH changes in Rise it'll finally click with me the way that Axe has.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Shine posted:

The cool thing is, none of this is mechanically complicated. It's all a person knowing Lance's tools and using them at effective points.

cool video, thanks for sharing. it did NOT look like that when I played but it's nice to see I was picking up on some of the basic concepts of the lance. was that spinning move they kept using the wirebug attack? I did not use that at all but it seems pretty useful.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Shine posted:

Videos like this are what got me to try Lance in World, and once you figure it out it feels amazing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lance owns don't make me post my Lance owns gifs again

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lance owns don't make me post my Lance owns gifs again

post 'em anyway

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i love to crush monsters with a hammer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here is that dude's 8:17 Magna run.

https://youtu.be/eXBWRF0Svp4

Absurd.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

post 'em anyway

https://i.imgur.com/wq0kzag.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zMLWq2C.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/cyFfWw0.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/hcKeKf7.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KPf7PqS.mp4

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Great OP, as a relative newbie it’s nice to read about the weapons from the point of view of people who understand them.

Excited for Rise. I need to preorder it so it installs Thursday for me. I’m gonna play Glaive with friends and probably LBG alone.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I'm definitely trying Lance in Rise now.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Is the stun resistance in multiplayer is similar to World? When I was the only blunt weapon user, stuns were few and far between unless there was sticky bomb spammer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm tempted to try HBG from the start just to see how it's like to go from pauper ammo to the real stuff. I might not be able to resist the siren calls of switch axe and gunlance, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
About the only cool thing I've ever done.

Always be slightly to Bazel's left or right. :haw:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

In all previous gens I always picked a non-hunting horn weapon to play most of the LR/single player stuff through before eventually getting back on my horn addiction.

But for Rise I'm still conflicted on what new weapon to play through the game with before I eventually go back to horn, cuz horn is basically an all new weapon!!!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Is the stun resistance in multiplayer is similar to World? When I was the only blunt weapon user, stuns were few and far between unless there was sticky bomb spammer.

Demo is the demo but I got a whole bunch of KOs on Mizutsune when I was messing around with hammer. Way more than I got in World on any mon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wuggles posted:

Great OP, as a relative newbie it’s nice to read about the weapons from the point of view of people who understand them.

Excited for Rise. I need to preorder it so it installs Thursday for me. I’m gonna play Glaive with friends and probably LBG alone.

Glaive is a great support weapon for a group, everyone will love the constant free down time from the mounts. A insect Glaive with paralyze is a godly combo...

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

In Training posted:

I hope evade reload is back that owned. Either as an attachment like world or seregios is in the roster (I haven't looked at the leaks don't tell me if seregios is back!!)

Evade reload's animation was my favorite part of it. The lever-action flourish is so fuckin cool.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just tried out the doot doot weapon for the first time in Rise, and you all weren't kidding when you said it feels like bullying the monsters. Goddamn, there were times in that Mizutsune fight where it just felt mean. Like I knock it over and then do a twirly toot toot bonk dance on its head.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I get the feeling they buffed horn damage for the demo or at least the horn in the demo is better than all the other demo weapons and the horns in the main game will be in line with weapons of their level.

No proof or anything just a feeling.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
God I am so rusty I went down to Mizustune in the demo:negative:. I was so good at styling on her in Generations. I think fighting without aerial style is throwing me because I am so used to dodging certain moves by just leaping into her and uh that's not really a thing with the normal IG jump.

Also I still hate that they give you like tier 1 trash Kinsects for every demo. Getting extracts should not be this much of a pain in the rear end!

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 23, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh God I just realized with the ability to recruit more Palicos they're gonna include the saddest thing in any Monster Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwN8Ji6rWck

:smith:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
After much grousing, I ordered a Brook Wingman NS. As much as I want to play on my Switch's Pro Controller, it has that D-pad issue and I'd really prefer it to not hit a perpendicular direction when I press something. So gently caress it, I'll just keep using my Dual Shock 4 like I used it on World on PC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh God I just realized with the ability to recruit more Palicos they're gonna include the saddest thing in any Monster Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwN8Ji6rWck

:smith:

That's why you hire every palico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

No, opposite problem, this is what happens when you do hire every palico and have no space for your palicoes.