Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Good soup! posted:

Nah I think he said "did somebody say mcdonald's"

It was "Counter-terrorists win", a quote from the hit game Counter-Strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ronwayne posted:

History is a blunt, and america is canoeing the poo poo out of it.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

bedpan posted:

insanely pumped that seal team 6 killed a man and mutilated the corpse even after crashing a helicopter

I remember when this happened and thinking “this is completely pathetic, it took like 15 years to get this guy. Bin Laden 100% won.”

A co-worker chanted “U!S!A!” and suggested we all go out to celebrate.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
wasnt the helicopter that crashed in the Bin Laden Raid incredibly expensive classified stealth technology too

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

wasnt the helicopter that crashed in the Bin Laden Raid incredibly expensive classified stealth technology too

Possibly, but it can't have been all that good technology, considering it crashed. Maybe the US military should invest in sheep herding technology, instead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Documentary on the Great Game up to modern history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m7uL4Q44ws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6jItZF5ZeU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Every member of the team that popped the trunk with bin laden hog tied in it took turns mag dumping into him and them wrote a book about how they were the one to take him out while he used a pregnant human shield

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

miniscule12 posted:

reminder that the richest country on the planet went to war with the second poorest country on the planet and lost.

And Afghanis didn’t do 9/11 either which makes it funnier

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

no shame in losing to the best

in terms of breaking empires Afghanistan is FaZe

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

29:00 is a great bookmark for the first episode

BORN TO JIHAD / EMPIRE IS A gently caress / Kill Em All 1842 / I am Dost man / 410,757,864,530 DEAD BRITS

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Yeah, America lost. But what even would be considered a "victory" in Afghanistan?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
funnelling a few trillion tax dollars to the military industrial complex

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zedhe Khoja posted:

BORN TO JIHAD / EMPIRE IS A gently caress / Kill Em All 1842 / I am Dost man / 410,757,864,530 DEAD BRITS

lol

since in history the whole taking a army through mountain passes with multiple ambush spots always ends well

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US war in Afghanistan killed thousands and worsened the lives of millions, but it built hundreds of McMansions in suburban DC so who can say if it was good or not.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

can anyone stop the People's Republic of China's brutal attacks against journalists?

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1382369697568546816
savage

brotha from anatha
Mar 24, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
hmm, its not really a defaet cuz were still dropping deuces on em, my spn

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

lol yeah it was some super secret stealthy version of the blackhawk that no one knew about until then

america's finest crashed it into a garden wall lmao

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
hope they were able to find it afterwards

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Ash1138 posted:

lol yeah it was some super secret stealthy version of the blackhawk that no one knew about until then

america's finest crashed it into a garden wall lmao

I think the chopper pilots said the walls around the compound would mess with the rotor air-flow somehow and mess with its ability to take off again. They got told to go ahead and do it anyways. I guess they learned from Iran-Contra and sent a backup helicopter to get them out after the first breaks down.

quote:

Slabinkski and others in the squadron had fallen under the influence of an obscure war novel, “Devil’s Guard,” published in 1971 by George Robert Elford. The book purported to be a true account of an S.S. officer who with dozens of other soldiers escaped Germany after World War II, joined the French Foreign Legion, and spent years in Vietnam brutalizing the insurgency. The novel, which glorifies Nazi military practices, describes counterinsurgency tactics such as mass slaughter and desecration and other forms of wanton violence as a means of waging psychological warfare against the “savage” Vietnamese.

“These loving morons read the book ‘The Devil’s Guard’ and believed it,” said one of the former SEAL Team 6 leaders who investigated Slabinski and Blue Squadron. “It’s a work of fiction billed as the Bible, as the truth. In reality, it’s bullshit. But we all see what we want to see.” Slabinski and the Blue Squadron SEALs deployed to Afghanistan were “frustrated, and that book gave them the answers they wanted to see: Terrorize the Taliban and they’d surrender. The truth is that such stuff only galvanizes the enemy.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/the-crimes-of-seal-team-6/

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Apr 27, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

He has the CSPAM dream job...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6maL6gq6qME

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

These were good watches. Would be cool if he did a follow-up soon to them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aPM4XZUbO4

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://twitter.com/BurgerPilled/status/1420966234821218311

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
lmao good

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
wasn't it abundantly obvious after a few years that mission parameters were constantly shifting (because there weren't tangible goals other than get Osama which laughably failed at Torabora) and being undermined by different groups within the political community, MIC, intelligence community and military, that alliances were always in flux and the reporting from the ground was deliberately massaged to make it look to the politicians in charge that more money, troops and one more big push would bring it home?

The reality was it was always a clusterfuck and was never "winnable"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

another headstone for the graveyard of empires

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

option #1: buy opium straight from farmers at a higher rate than the Taliban. then sell it. or put it in a big pile and burn it. whatever.

option #2: try to make the farmers grow soybeans instead and pay them poo poo for it.

what to do?!?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Holy poo poo

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

dayum

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hell yeah

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Orbis Tertius posted:

option #1: buy opium straight from farmers at a higher rate than the Taliban. then sell it. or put it in a big pile and burn it. whatever.

option #2: try to make the farmers grow soybeans instead and pay them poo poo for it.

what to do?!?

The only reason there's any opium there right now is because the US invaded. The Taliban got rid of all of it in 2001, then the US invaded

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Orbis Tertius posted:

option #1: buy opium

option #2:

what to do?!?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:911: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Terror Sweat posted:

The only reason there's any opium there right now is because the US invaded. The Taliban got rid of all of it in 2001, then the US invaded

The CIA is basically the biggest opium cartel in the world, they needed to protect their supply lines.