Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

holding all the weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
f-zero/wipeout-likes were pretty big in the '90s and early 2000s and seem to have disappeared this past decade apart from pandering crap like redout, i think the last time anyone did their own thing with that concept was fatal inertia lol

there's never going to be another f-zero but i feel like we're overdue for at least the next quantum redshift or something

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

embarrassingly low picmip values here imo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JOHN CENA posted:

cheat codes at the start screen

cheat codes that you have to put in on the second controller at the start screen

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont like stringy forgettable music and i miss when characters in games had clear musical leitmotifs, like donkey kong had or each character in an old jrpg

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

Launching a game for the first time and going directly into gameplay rather than a tutorial

I remember when Persona 4 came out and everyone was like "There's like an hour of story when you start the game!!" and now every game in existence does that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

f-zero/wipeout-likes were pretty big in the '90s and early 2000s and seem to have disappeared this past decade apart from pandering crap like redout, i think the last time anyone did their own thing with that concept was fatal inertia lol

there's never going to be another f-zero but i feel like we're overdue for at least the next quantum redshift or something

Nobody remembers ROLLCAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5_YsGMYjAk

The gimmick was you could drive on walls, but you also almost never wanted to drive on a wall

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Rollcage was loving great.

Nostradingus posted:

Launching a game for the first time and going directly into gameplay rather than a tutorial

Not to get too wanky over From Soft but I think that's why their games were a real "breath of fresh air". They just drop you into a world with a vague story line background and you just have to figure poo poo out. There are notes to tell you what to do if you read them but it's not forced on screen.

At risk of a cliche. It's a lot like Zelda

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

rollcage came on a cd with my new pc when i upgraded from 100mhz straight to 1ghz, i remember it was fun, but a lot of racing games have the same problem that a lot of shmups have, which is that they lack personality

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Plutonis posted:

Shareware games.

yessss I was raised on a steady diet of fuckloads of floppies ordered from magazines

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

yessss I was raised on a steady diet of fuckloads of floppies ordered from magazines

Bio Menace and Doom on shareware were some of the first games I played

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mfcrocker posted:

Our main PC growing up was an old Windows 3.1 Packard Bell, and we didn't get anything more modern until 2000 which means I never played any 95/98 games and instead lived off of the Gravis Gamepad demo disk and various PC Gamer monthlies.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
letting me copy my save file and easily access multiple save files

OIL! OIL! OIL!
Apr 12, 2009

moon is hard to play without a manual. it never explains how the sleeping mechanics work and they didnt include any manual when they rereleased it on switch, so i spent the first 30 minutes walking around and passing out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

3rd party strategy guides with zero editorial oversight. I loved the super old ones where some guy would try to write tips in a black and white book with either terrible screenshots or hand drawn maps. Our library had a few of those. This kinda worked for stuff like Zelda where he could point out stuff on a map, but I remember for Maniac Mansion the chapter was way too long as he had to write "push brick in basement" like twenty times.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Nintendo Power produced strategy guides were really sleek. I remember the Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess ones being particularly good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nintendo power giving away a free strategy guide with a renewal ftw

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

No joke in like 2004 or something my Nintendo Power subscription was ending and I didn't care about any of the guides they were offering (there was a set list I remember, Pikmin was one of them) anyway so I actually called them and asked them if there was any way they could send me the SNES link to the Past player's guide even though it hadn't been an option for a good 5 years. The guy says "lemme see what I can find" and puts me on hold for what must have been half an hour. he gets back and says "wow yeah I found one, we'll send it to you" and I actually got it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

They gave away Dragon Warrior to new subscribers in 1990, good way to move over half a million unsold cartridges.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i lived in the rear end end of nowhere as a kid and my strategy guide for ocarina got there the same day as my copy of ocarina, i lost my god drat mind. god i miss nintendo power

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to go to/host a lan party

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Nostradingus posted:

The Nintendo Power produced strategy guides were really sleek. I remember the Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess ones being particularly good

I still have the OOT guide for two reasons, 1) the art is amazing and 2) the water temple is a pain in the rear end

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the AA game. always launched at like $39.99 or dropped there immediately. there would alway be a mid range celebrity VA, like michael madsen or bill belamy. aim down sights was always on like R3 and the cars always drove oddly.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Buying PC games knowing nothing based off the box art. Hmm, guys with swords and dwarves with flaming bottles... and the family iMac can run it.. sure let’s roll the dice. Myth Total Codex hell yeah.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

same, it's really a shame that this genre mostly died out. the best i can think of that's come out recently is ballisticNG which manages to be pretty faithful to old wipeout in a way that isn't just pandering to fans of its aesthetics

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of genres that completely died out, those rotoscoped platformer fluid motion games like Another World, Flashback, Blackthorne, etc. I liked all of those and they seemed to have been a mid 90s fad and that was it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The ability to mod games is a big one that's dying out, or at least changing. Since big name games are so based around buying the next iteration anything that keeps people playing the older one is bad for business. And now if you have an idea for a game you just make it in unity and sell it on steam instead of building it off of Half Life or something. I also think the steam workshop has dampened the community aspect of modding a bit, no more modding forums filled with people's half finished terrible mods.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Speaking of genres that completely died out, those rotoscoped platformer fluid motion games like Another World, Flashback, Blackthorne, etc. I liked all of those and they seemed to have been a mid 90s fad and that was it.
look into LUNARK, it's exactly what you want

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

look into LUNARK, it's exactly what you want

wow it even looks like flashback (at least the backdrops). buying this now. Thank you!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The ability to mod games is a big one that's dying out, or at least changing. Since big name games are so based around buying the next iteration anything that keeps people playing the older one is bad for business. And now if you have an idea for a game you just make it in unity and sell it on steam instead of building it off of Half Life or something. I also think the steam workshop has dampened the community aspect of modding a bit, no more modding forums filled with people's half finished terrible mods.

The ease of picking up unity or whatever and putting something on Steam or itch is the big one I think, that and everyone wanting to be the next twitch breakout

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The ease of picking up unity or whatever and putting something on Steam or itch is the big one I think, that and everyone wanting to be the next twitch breakout

It’s also important to note that games are so much cheaper and plentiful now. Quake II and half life were $50 and you needed to make those last. Now you can get most games for like 40% off within a month of release. Desert combat was created because there was no modern battlefield equivalent. Now there’s a large scale multiplayer combat game in any setting you can ask for with at least enough people playing to find a game within half an hour

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The Klowner posted:

I want to go to/host a lan party

my friends did this a few years ago where we all played diablo. it was so much fun. make it happen.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

people are slowly developing programs that can turn any unity game into a moddable unity game, I guess using unity makes them so similar that it doesnt take a lot of tweaking to expose all of the variables lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Getting my dick sucked in the shed

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

my friends did this a few years ago where we all played diablo. it was so much fun. make it happen.

Last time I did a LAN party it was basically the pregame for my bachelor party and we almost didn't end up going out to the bars.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Buying PC games knowing nothing based off the box art. Hmm, guys with swords and dwarves with flaming bottles... and the family iMac can run it.. sure let’s roll the dice. Myth Total Codex hell yeah.

Oh hell yeah

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought Inca II that way lol. Just browsing CDs at Best Buy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

people are slowly developing programs that can turn any unity game into a moddable unity game, I guess using unity makes them so similar that it doesnt take a lot of tweaking to expose all of the variables lol
my understanding as a huge idiot whose spoken to non idiots is that if a game developer wants their unity game to be moddable, they have to build all the mod support stuff themselves. some games like DUSK and VRchat have been doing this but it’s a lot of work that I’m assuming a lot of people either don’t want to or don’t know how to do.

Some smart people have built frameworks for injecting code into other peoples games, I don’t know the exact details but apparently Unity’s a bit more of an open book about this than some

In comparison Unreal 4 is way more resistant to modding, to the point of forbidding devs from releasing the Unreal tools with their game - you’re only allowed to release your project folder through the Epic store, which sucks rear end - I think the only unofficial mods people have managed is replacing models with ones that don’t wear pants.

I’m bored on the train, if you haven’t noticed.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Unity uses mono/c# for game logic which is notoriously easy to inject and decompile/recompile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Speed runs that aren't exclusively out of bounds glitches.